Jefferson City High School's Bill Currie Memorial Tournament

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Missie Valdiviez
Kimahri

Jefferson City High School's Bill Currie Memorial Tournament

Post by Missie Valdiviez »

Dear Coaches,

It is my pleasure to announce the second iteration of our annual quiz bowl tournament at Jefferson City High School. The Bill Currie Memorial Tournament II, named in honor of a deceased faculty member, will be held on November 19th, 2011. Questions for the tournament will be the IS-110A set provided by National Academic Quiz Tournaments, LLC (NAQT). These questions will be MUCH easier than those used at last year's tournament, and will be very much within the reach of all teams competing. Each packet will consist of 20 tossups, each with a 3-part non-rebounding bonus, with each part being worth 10 points. This tournament will feature powers--15 points for answering a question very early--and negs--deductions of 5 points for answering incorrectly before the moderator has finished reading the question. Additionally, there will be no computational math tossups, although there will be computational math bonuses.
The field for this tournament will be capped at 16 teams. Schools may register more than one team. In the event that more than 16 teams express interest, the additional teams will be put on a waitlist and added to the field if any teams are unable to come.
Entry Fees:
First team from a school: $60
Additional teams from the same school: $55
Buzzer system discount: -$5 per system per team. In order to receive the buzzer system discount, the system must be fully functional for 8 players.
Staffer discount: -$10 per team that brings a scorekeeper the morning of the tournament. This can be a coach, parent, or any other person attending who isn’t playing.

To register, please email [email protected] with the name of your school, how many teams you wish to enter, and the best way to contact you with any questions. We ask that for payment, you pay us either in cash or check. Please make checks out to Jefferson City High School.

This tournament is certified by the Missouri Quizbowl Alliance (MOQBA). More information on MOQBA can be found at http://www.moqba.org/.

This tournament is using the same set of questions as Truman High School's Sknow Bowl event on January 7th, and Truman State University's January 14th event. Teams planning on attending this event cannot also attend those events, although they are both far enough away this will hopefully not be an issue.

We hope to see you in November.
Missie Valdiviez
Last edited by Missie Valdiviez on Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Re: Jefferson City High School's Bill Currie Memorial Tournament

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

Current field (14 teams, 2 spots left):

Columbia Independent School
Elsberry*
Hallsville*
Helias (2 teams)
Monroe City*
Oakville
Pilot Grove*
Richland (2 teams)*
Smith-Cotton
Thomas Jefferson Independent Day School? (2 teams, and it's either them or Joplin HS, I'm not sure)
Tuscumbia*

* Indicates a team that is eligible for the small-school bid.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
Missie Valdiviez
Kimahri

Post by Missie Valdiviez »

Here is the field for November 19th's Bill Currie Memorial Tournament in Jefferson City, MO. Due to such high interest, we had to expand the field to 20 teams. There are a few changes in the teams from the previous post because some teams dropped out and some I never heard from after the original letter of interest was sent. If you did not make it into this tournament I thank you for sharing an interest, and hopefully we can get you worked in next year. Good luck to everyone during their season!

Tuscumbia - 1 team
Columbia Independent School – 2 team
Helias, Jefferson City – 2 teams
Oakville – 1 team
Monroe City – 1 team
Elsberry – 1 team
Richland – 2 teams
Hallsville – 2 teams
Smith Cotton, Sedalia – 1 team
Pilot Grove – 1 team
Glasgow – 1 team
Centralia – 2 teams
Rock Bridge – 3 teams

*Kirksville and SLUH did not attend as I had previously posted. There was a communication error on my end with their confirmation due to a computer email problem.

Entry Fees:
First team from a school: $60
Additional teams from the same school: $55
Buzzer system discount: -$5 per system per team. In order to receive the buzzer system discount, the system must be fully functional for 8 players.
Staffer discount: -$10 per team that brings a scorekeeper the morning of the tournament. This can be a coach, parent, or any other person attending who isn’t playing.

Thank you, Missie Valdiviez
Jefferson City High School's Coach
Last edited by Missie Valdiviez on Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
1992 in spaceflight
Auron

Post by 1992 in spaceflight »

Is Kirksville High School registered for this? I just talked to Coach Odzinski, and he said they weren't registered for this tournament. Or is this a different Kirksville High School?

EDIT: They weren't at this tournament.
Last edited by 1992 in spaceflight on Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jacob O'Rourke
Washington (MO) HS Assistant Coach (2014-Present); MOQBA Secretary (2015-Present)
Formerly: AQBL Administrator (2020-2023); HSAPQ Host Contact; NASAT Outreach Coordinator (2016 and 2017); Kirksville HS Assistant Coach (2012-2014); Truman State '14; and Pacific High (MO) '10

Like MOQBA on Facebook and follow us on Twitter!
Flutist Wren
Lulu

Post by Flutist Wren »

Stats are here.

Rock Bridge A won the tournament, with Helias A winning 305-220 over Richland A in a 2nd place game whose scoresheet unfortunately disappeared.
Sam Haynes
Jefferson City High 2011
WUSTL 2015