Stats for the National Bowl

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
MahoningQuizBowler
Rikku

Stats for the National Bowl

Post by MahoningQuizBowler »

One of the improvements we want to make at the National Bowl tournament this coming April is the inclusion of individual stats. I'm confident that I can enter the information into SQBS, with the appropriate scoring settings, quickly enough to get the information out to the players, but every bit of time saved is appreciated. To that end, I was told that Princeton successfully compiled their scoresheets via Google Docs this past weekend, so I was wondering if there was a script to transfer the individual player stat columns from the scoresheet over to SQBS in the same fashion that SQBS can read .txt files for rosters. If not, can one be created? Thanks in advance!
Greg Bossick
Director, Mahoning Quizbowl League (2004-2011, 2013-present)
Director, NAQT Ohio Small School State Championship (2018-present)
Executive Director, Ohio Academic Competition (2013-2016)
jonpin
Auron

Re: Stats for the National Bowl

Post by jonpin »

From my understanding, while they used Google Docs to compile all the scoresheets from all the rooms, they were not able to compile full statistics in that manner, and so they read each scoresheet and transferred the data to SQBS. I'm not sure if an efficient way exists to take the data from those scoresheets directly to SQBS or for that matter to text in a SQBS-readable format.

Perhaps a trial run of the potential Google Docs compilation system can be used at one or more of the State Bowls. I designed a scoresheet that I gave my students for last year's NJ Bowl, but I think it was a document that didn't automatically calculate (because the four-quarter format was relatively compilcated).
Jon Pinyan
Coach, Bergen County Academies (NJ); former player for BCA (2000-03) and WUSTL (2003-07)
HSQB forum mod, PACE member
Stat director for: NSC '13-'15, '17; ACF '14, '17, '19; NHBB '13-'15; NASAT '11

"A [...] wizard who controls the weather" - Jerry Vinokurov
The Toad to Wigan Pier
Tidus

Post by The Toad to Wigan Pier »

I just created a prototype google doc spreadsheet that exports to SQBS, so it can be done. There are probably better ways of distributed stats entry.
William Butler
UVA '11
Georgia Tech 13
Avram
Lulu

Post by Avram »

This is something that QBSQL was designed for-- just enter from as many computers as you like.
Code at: http://code.google.com/p/qbsql/
UCLA tournaments using QBSQL: http://quizbowl.gimranov.com/stats/tournaments.php
Berry College (QTQ) tournaments using QBSQL: http://quizteamquestions.com/qbsql/

I'd be happy to provide a dedicated instance (for free, unless you're expecting huge amounts of traffic) of QBSQL for History Bowl events, if you're interested.

It can also import and export SQBS data files.
Avram Lyon
Kazan Federal University '11
UCLA '14 (or so)
Grinnell '06
Great Bustard
Auron

Post by Great Bustard »

This sounds great. Assuming this can get worked out, it would be great if you could keep the weekend of Apr 27-29 free on your calendar, as we'd be happy to fly you to DC from LA to help implement this at Nationals.
David Madden
Ridgewood (NJ) '99, Princeton '03
Founder and Director: International History Bee and Bowl, National History Bee and Bowl (High School Division), International History Olympiad, United States Geography Olympiad, US History Bee, US Academic Bee and Bowl, National Humanities Bee, National Science Bee, International Academic Bowl.
Adviser and former head coach for Team USA at the International Geography Olympiad
Avram
Lulu

Post by Avram »

nationalhistorybeeandbowl wrote:This sounds great. Assuming this can get worked out, it would be great if you could keep the weekend of Apr 27-29 free on your calendar, as we'd be happy to fly you to DC from LA to help implement this at Nationals.
The software is usually a turn-key operation, but I understand the concern with a high-profile event, and I'd be happy to fly out to be on hand. Another choice, for completeness, is NAQT's Tournament Director, which I have never administered, only used, but is also available and could be installed for the event: https://github.com/puls/tournament-director . They've been using it for HSNCT and, I think, ICT, for some time now.

If you're interested, drop me a line off the boards we can chat, to make sure that the solution you settle on can actually do what you need. This might provide the necessary push to finish some long-mothballed feature additions as well.
Avram Lyon
UCLA '14 (or so)
Grinnell '06
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

Avram wrote:The software is usually a turn-key operation, but I understand the concern with a high-profile event, and I'd be happy to fly out to be on hand. Another choice, for completeness, is NAQT's Tournament Director, which I have never administered, only used, but is also available and could be installed for the event: https://github.com/puls/tournament-director . They've been using it for HSNCT and, I think, ICT, for some time now.
NAQT uses SQBS for ICT (and MSNCT). Tournament Director isn't really ready for general use at this point; lots of manual database editing is required for common tasks, and so forth. NAQT keeps Jim Puls around to do basically everything.
Jonah Greenthal
National Academic Quiz Tournaments
Avram
Lulu

Post by Avram »

jonah wrote:NAQT uses SQBS for ICT (and MSNCT). Tournament Director isn't really ready for general use at this point; lots of manual database editing is required for common tasks, and so forth. NAQT keeps Jim Puls around to do basically everything.
That's about where I was for my first QBSQL event back in 2005 or so (minus the Tournament Director efficient interface with error checking, etc.) -- I had to keep tinkering in the database to do even basic things like edit games or rename teams. That quickly convinced me that I needed to write more admin functionality.
Avram Lyon
UCLA '14 (or so)
Grinnell '06