What Happens to DC-Area Quizbowl Next Year?

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
The Herb
Lulu

What Happens to DC-Area Quizbowl Next Year?

Post by The Herb »

I haven't been around that long, and I'm unfamiliar with the ebb and flow of quizbowl, so I was wondering if anyone could give me some perspective and tell me what they think Quizbowl in the DC-area will be like next year. I'm only asking this because I believe GDS, St. Anselms, and Blair are graduating most of their A-Teams--and I'm not sure if they have any significant recruits in the pipeline. We, for one, are graduating our entire A-team and have no immediate replacements. It seems to me that by this time last year--from looking at some stats--that there were more good juniors playing quizbowl than there are this year. I know that RM will stay strong and that TJ is a perpetual Quizbowl machine, but besides them, what happens to the mid-atlantic in 2012-2013? I'm probably wrong in my predictions (and it's 1:15 AM), so I'd appreciate someone else's take on the matter.
Basil Smitham
Walt Whitman High School '12
Yale '16
Charles Martel
Wakka

Re: What Happens to DC-Area Quizbowl Next Year?

Post by Charles Martel »

Didn't read the details about teams, but in general you really can't make predictions for next year when the current year has barely started. You have no idea which sophomores or juniors might come out of nowhere and be good.
Adam Kalinich
MIT 2012-
Illinois Math and Science Academy 2009-2012
sir negsalot
Wakka

Post by sir negsalot »

It's funny that you ask, considering you kinda came out of nowhere, eh?
Daniel Galitsky
Richard Montgomery HS-2012
University of Maryland-2016
The Herb
Lulu

Post by The Herb »

Yeah, you guys are right. I should save my crazy speculations until the end of the season.
Basil Smitham
Walt Whitman High School '12
Yale '16
jonathanmarx
Wakka

Post by jonathanmarx »

I'm bored and don't feel like doing homework, and considering how late it is in the year, I think it's safe to say that we can reopen this topic for discussion without the possibility of any new teams/players emerging as contenders.

RM, for one, will have an all-senior A team - one of whom is currently a full-time A team player, two who split their time between A and B, and another who's spent the whole year on B team but is improving at the fastest rate of any of us. So I'd like to think that we'll be pretty good next year.

TJ brings back Raynor, which automatically makes them a force to be reckoned with.

Besides that... who knows? Whitman B has posted some decent stats this year, and the recent emergences of WJ and Churchill suggest that if they stay committed to improving and playing pyramidal quizbowl, they could also make some noise on the regional level. Also, Oakland Mills returns the Kirk-Davidoff twins, who are both sophomores and seem to be working very hard to improve. Gonzaga (I don't know if they're graduating anyone) has been very streaky but also played very well at times, including beating Blair and Caesar Rodney at STANLEY CUP. And while Blair loses their two Daniels (Hafner and Muskin-Pierret), they return half of a very good A team - Thomas Gaddy and Ian Ozeroff, who combined for 72 ppg at STANLEY CUP and who both had some nice buzzes in my room at SWAGFEST.

Anyone I'm forgetting? Thoughts? Opinions? Disagreements?
Jonathan Marx
Richard Montgomery '13
Yale '17
Smuttynose Island
Forums Staff: Moderator

Post by Smuttynose Island »

jonathanmarx wrote:I'm bored and don't feel like doing homework, and considering how late it is in the year, I think it's safe to say that we can reopen this topic for discussion without the possibility of any new teams/players emerging as contenders.
Doing this is almost always a bad idea. For instance, Jonathan Leidenheimer transferred to Marshall this year, which means that, if he joins the Quizbowl team and they go to more regular events, they could be quite good. Also I'm pretty sure that GDS returns, at a minimum, Noah Cowan, who is not a bad player, so they should be fairly good at getting TUs and will eventually expand out into getting relatively high PPBs. I'm also going to go out on a limb and say that TJ should have a fairly good B team as some of the current freshman continue to develop and are joined by upcoming Longfellow players, some of whom may even make an impact on TJ's A team.
Last edited by Smuttynose Island on Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Daniel Hothem
TJHSST '11 | UVA '15 | Oregon '??
"You are the stuff of legends" - Chris Manners
https://sites.google.com/site/academicc ... ubuva/home
jonathanmarx
Wakka

Post by jonathanmarx »

Smuttynose Island wrote:
jonathanmarx wrote:I'm bored and don't feel like doing homework, and considering how late it is in the year, I think it's safe to say that we can reopen this topic for discussion without the possibility of any new teams/players emerging as contenders.
Doing this is almost always a bad idea. For instance, Jonathan Leidenheimer transferred to Marshall this year, which means that, if he joins the Quizbowl team and they go to more regular events, they could be quite good.
First off, I meant emerging as contenders during the rest of this year.

Also, I TOLD myself not to forget to mention Marshall while I was writing about TJ, and managed to forget anyway - thanks for the reminder.

Speaking of Marshall, do you know what year Brian Potter is? He and Jon Leidenheimer together could definitely be a formidable combination for DC-area teams next year...
Jonathan Marx
Richard Montgomery '13
Yale '17
jekbradbury
Lulu

Post by jekbradbury »

Brian is pretty good, but I'm pretty sure he is a senior.
Also, I hope that the efforts of TJ and UMd (and hopefully some others) to reach out more to non-circuit teams for upcoming tournaments (there are well over a hundred! and that's just It's Ac; there's still an entire state league...) bear some fruit.
James Bradbury, Stanford '16, TJHSST '12
Down and out in Quintana Roo
Auron

Post by Down and out in Quintana Roo »

Our team will really really lose a lot of ability and scoring, with Pratyusha and Alexa graduating. It will be a long time until we're anywhere near where we are this year, even if we'll have at least two seniors on next year's team (Lexi and Julia). There isn't a lot of potential behind them, save for perhaps one or two freshmen who seem to enjoy it... the effort and motivation to truly improve, though, is not quite there. CR will fall back bigtime for a while.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Caesar Rodney High School
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
University of Delaware '01-'05
CRHS quizbowl coach '06-'12
http://crquizbowl.edublogs.org
aestheteboy
Tidus

Post by aestheteboy »

jonathanmarx wrote:the recent emergence of WJ
Is this actually a thing? If so, I am excited.
Daichi - Walter Johnson; Vanderbilt; U of Chicago.
Daichi's Law of High School Quizbowl: the frequency of posting in the Quizbowl Resource Center is proportional to the likelihood of being overrated.
jonathanmarx
Wakka

Post by jonathanmarx »

aestheteboy wrote:
jonathanmarx wrote:the recent emergence of WJ
Is this actually a thing? If so, I am excited.
Well, they've started coming to tournaments... they're still rather inconsistent, and have some holes and negging problems as a result of not really knowing the canon.

But they put up some nice stats (http://hsquizbowl.org/db/tournaments/83 ... detail/#t4) on an HSAPQ set, and beat two top-50 ranked teams... so there's definitely some promise there if they continue to work hard. Ilya's really good, although I don't know what year he is.
Jonathan Marx
Richard Montgomery '13
Yale '17
Panayot Hitov
Wakka

Post by Panayot Hitov »

This is mostly speculation, but:

Marshall, Gonzaga, and OM are all on similar levels in my opinion. I think that Marshall has some seniors graduating, though, while Gonzaga and OM have almost none.Gonzaga I know will keep getting better, and so will we if we can get some more team members to go to tournaments with us. TJ, RM, and Blair will probably still be good, as each school has a good B team. GDS will return Noah, so they'll be good. After that, WJ, Churchill, BCC, maybe another HoCo team like Centennial Howard, or Wilde Lake, plus Banneker and Langley will all be good if they keep working (and if Wilde Lake or other Baltimore-area It's Ac teams actually go to some pyramidal tournaments). St. Anselm's is losing Aidan and Jacob, so they'll drop. Besides that, I don't know... maybe some Harford-area teams that go to Delaware tournaments?
Paul Kirk-Davidoff
Oakland Mills High School '14
Carleton College '18
Off To See The Lizard
Wakka

Post by Off To See The Lizard »

WJ is here to stay, don't worry :)

User was reminded to enable a signature. -Mgmt
Sameen Belal
Walter Johnson '14
New York University '18
Hannibal
Lulu

Post by Hannibal »

McLean high school (me plus a few other Longfellow kids that didn't make TJ) will try to come to a few tournaments and hope to finish somewhere halfway decent.

EDIT: ignore this post -- as you can see from my sig, I'm not even going to McLean this year.
Last edited by Hannibal on Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tajin Rogers
Longfellow MS '10-'12
St. Anselm's '12-'13
GDS '13-
The Stately Rhododendron
Rikku

Post by The Stately Rhododendron »

Hannibal wrote:McLean high school (me plus a few other Longfellow kids that didn't make TJ) will try to come to a few tournaments and hope to finish somewhere halfway decent.
sweet
IKD
Yale 18
Oakland Mills 14
"I am the NAQT beast I worship."
Great Bustard
Auron

Post by Great Bustard »

Nolwenn (my wife and NHBB International Director) and I are moving to the DC area in late August or September. We plan on visiting at least 50 area schools next fall to drum up interest in our tournaments, and are happy to share our quizbowl resources guide, etc. Also moving to DC: our buzzer systems, of which we should have about 40 next year. The reason we're moving to DC, btw, is to better coordinate our Nationals, which means we're going to be building a pool of literally hundreds of potential area staffers. We will direct these people to get experience moderating not just at the 3 DC area NHBB tournaments, but other area tournaments too. Our staff search will include friends and acquaintances, college students, forensics competitors (many of whom should be excellent readers), and historical society members. We will be running reader training sessions for all of them as well.
In any case, we look forward to calling the DC area home, though I will still keep coaching Ridgewood next year, as I plan on being up in NJ every 3 weeks or so, and plan on attending many of the larger NYC area tournaments too.
David Madden
Ridgewood (NJ) '99, Princeton '03
Founder and Director: International History Bee and Bowl, National History Bee and Bowl (High School Division), International History Olympiad, United States Geography Olympiad, US History Bee, US Academic Bee and Bowl, National Humanities Bee, National Science Bee, International Academic Bowl.
Adviser and former head coach for Team USA at the International Geography Olympiad
Panayot Hitov
Wakka

Post by Panayot Hitov »

nationalhistorybeeandbowl wrote: We plan on visiting at least 50 area schools next fall to drum up interest in our tournaments, and are happy to share our quizbowl resources guide, etc.
Good place to start: viewtopic.php?f=48&t=12732.
Paul Kirk-Davidoff
Carleton College '18
Hannibal
Lulu

Post by Hannibal »

We plan on visiting at least 50 area schools next fall to drum up interest in our tournaments
I would spam happyfaces, but I'm pretty sure that's against forum rules. NoVA especially has many teams that don't participate in good quizbowl, and this interaction is exactly what we need. I've always suspected that many of the letters sent out to high schools and middle schools about quizbowl never actually reach the students.
Tajin Rogers
Longfellow MS '10-'12
St. Anselm's '12-'13
GDS '13-
jonathanmarx
Wakka

Post by jonathanmarx »

nationalhistorybeeandbowl wrote:Nolwenn (my wife and NHBB International Director) and I are moving to the DC area in late August or September. We plan on visiting at least 50 area schools next fall to drum up interest in our tournaments, and are happy to share our quizbowl resources guide, etc. Also moving to DC: our buzzer systems, of which we should have about 40 next year. The reason we're moving to DC, btw, is to better coordinate our Nationals, which means we're going to be building a pool of literally hundreds of potential area staffers. We will direct these people to get experience moderating not just at the 3 DC area NHBB tournaments, but other area tournaments too. Our staff search will include friends and acquaintances, college students, forensics competitors (many of whom should be excellent readers), and historical society members. We will be running reader training sessions for all of them as well.
This is a beautiful thing.
Jonathan Marx
Richard Montgomery '13
Yale '17
Off To See The Lizard
Wakka

jonathanmarx wrote:
nationalhistorybeeandbowl wrote:Nolwenn (my wife and NHBB International Director) and I are moving to the DC area in late August or September. We plan on visiting at least 50 area schools next fall to drum up interest in our tournaments, and are happy to share our quizbowl resources guide, etc. Also moving to DC: our buzzer systems, of which we should have about 40 next year. The reason we're moving to DC, btw, is to better coordinate our Nationals, which means we're going to be building a pool of literally hundreds of potential area staffers. We will direct these people to get experience moderating not just at the 3 DC area NHBB tournaments, but other area tournaments too. Our staff search will include friends and acquaintances, college students, forensics competitors (many of whom should be excellent readers), and historical society members. We will be running reader training sessions for all of them as well.
This is a beautiful thing.
IM EXCITED
Sameen Belal
Walter Johnson '14
New York University '18
Nine-Tenths Ideas
Auron

Post by Nine-Tenths Ideas »

I am very happy to hear this news. If UMD can help in any way, let me know.
Isaac Hirsch
University of Maryland '14
Never Gonna Play Again
Great Bustard
Auron

Post by Great Bustard »

Sure, and I'm happy to read at UMD practices when I'm available. Just let me know when you typically hold them. Weekday evenings are best, of course, but I presume that's when you'd have them anyway.
David Madden
Ridgewood (NJ) '99, Princeton '03
Founder and Director: International History Bee and Bowl, National History Bee and Bowl (High School Division), International History Olympiad, United States Geography Olympiad, US History Bee, US Academic Bee and Bowl, National Humanities Bee, National Science Bee, International Academic Bowl.
Adviser and former head coach for Team USA at the International Geography Olympiad
Panayot Hitov
Wakka

Post by Panayot Hitov »

First, predictions (note: I don't know anything about Virginia):
Upper Tier:
1. TJ- I think this won't be controversial.
2. RM A- I think all of RM B is returning, and they were pretty good last year, beating RM A at our tournament.
3. Oakland Mills- If we study, and get some other people to join the team, I think we'll be good.
4. Blair A- Did Josh from Blair B graduate? He was pretty good.
5. George Marshall- What happened with HSNCT this year?
6. Centennial- This is conditional on them going to more tournaments, and studying more (and because #HOCOSWAGG)

Teams That Could be on the List, But I Don't Know Much About:
Gonzaga- You guys are good, but how many of you are seniors?
WJ- I don't know how much talent is leaving.
Charter- I know nothing about Charter.
Churchill- Good stats at SWAGFEST, but will they come to more tournaments?

Middle-Bracket Mayhem:
GDS- Noah is good, but the team has taken a big hit.
ER- Come to more tournaments!
Langley- I think they could pull an upset or two.
Assorted B teams, other schools I forgot

A plead: Can this be the year many new schools come to tournaments? I mean, simply emailing all It's Ac schools to let them know about a tournament instead of only putting it on the forums would attract many more teams. Another idea might be to contact some out-there leagues: Urbana's coach told me last year that Frederick county has a league of house-written speed questions, and websites from schools in Carroll and Baltimore counties make it seem like there are leagues there.
Paul Kirk-Davidoff
Carleton College '18
Pushkin's Beard
Lulu

Post by Pushkin's Beard »

Willmune Sof Burrghtenstein wrote:First, predictions (note: I don't know anything about Virginia):
Teams That Could be on the List, But I Don't Know Much About:
Gonzaga- You guys are good, but how many of you are seniors?
I am pretty sure two were seniors and two were juniors (Jakob and Adam were the seniors I think).
Noah Cowan
Georgetown Day School '15
jonathanmarx
Wakka

Post by jonathanmarx »

Willmune Sof Burrghtenstein wrote:First, predictions (note: I don't know anything about Virginia):
Upper Tier:
1. TJ- I think this won't be controversial.
2. RM A- I think all of RM B is returning, and they were pretty good last year, beating RM A at our tournament.
3. Oakland Mills- If we study, and get some other people to join the team, I think we'll be good.
4. Blair A- Did Josh from Blair B graduate? He was pretty good.
Some quick opinions regarding this:

Raynor is really, really, really good, and at the rate he's improving, it's safe to say that TJ will be #1 in the area next year. We indeed return the whole B team as well as Josh from RM A, who was in the mix for leading scorer by the end of the year and has some deep knowledge in a number of categories. Also, Danish from our B team is going on a pretty huge study binge this summer - I fully expect him to be A team's best player next year. So we'll be pretty good. As for Blair, they return Ian and Thomas, who put up some extremely impressive stats by the end of the year, as well as (if I recall correctly) their whole B team. This is definitely a team to watch out for - I wouldn't be surprised if they knock off us or TJ fairly regularly.
Jonathan Marx
Richard Montgomery '13
Yale '17
Off To See The Lizard
Wakka

The part that most jumps out to me from your rankings is that you ranked both RM A and your own team over a still very strong Blair A. Even though they do lose Daniel H., Blair still returns two very good players in Ian and Thomas. In fact, looking at stats from Pace, Ian had a better PPG than Daniel which only goes to show how promising their team for next year will be. Regarding the rest of their team, I don't know exactly who they will pull up from their B team, but if Jonathan is right that they do return their entire B team, then I see Blair becoming an even more formidable opponent. That being said, I would still rank them behind Raynor and company, but I could see them playing TJ very closely.

With those changes, My Rankings for the Top 3 would be:

1) TJ
2) Blair A
3) RM A

I'm not too familiar with the teams from Oakland Mills, Centennial and George Marshall so I'm not gonna rank them in here yet. But I feel pretty comfortable rounding out those top 3 teams based on stats from various tournaments and having played against each of them.

Edited for clarity
Sameen Belal
Walter Johnson '14
New York University '18
jonathanmarx
Wakka

Post by jonathanmarx »

Willmune Sof Burrghtenstein wrote: 4. Blair A- Did Josh from Blair B graduate? He was pretty good.
Facebook indicates that he's class of 2012, so he's gone.

But I know that both Adam and Charlie return, and they put up solid stats on Blair B as well.
Jonathan Marx
Richard Montgomery '13
Yale '17
Black-throated Antshrike
Rikku

Post by Black-throated Antshrike »

Willmune Sof Burrghtenstein wrote:Charter- I know nothing about Charter.
They lose Bohan, but she didn't do much studying this year like the rest of them. The A team next year will probably be Ravi, George, Seth, and Jamie, who I believe all did decent at HSNCT
Joe
Delaware
The Stately Rhododendron
Rikku

Black-throated Antshrike wrote:They lose Bohan, but she didn't do much studying this year like the rest of them. The A team next year will probably be Ravi, George, Seth, and Jamie, who I believe all did decent at HSNCT
Yeah, considering their B team was better than their A team this year, I'm sure Charter is going to be just fine next year.
IKD
Yale 18
Oakland Mills 14
Panayot Hitov
Wakka

Post by Panayot Hitov »

Off To See The Lizard wrote:The part that most jumps out to me from your rankings is that you ranked both RM A and your own team over a still very strong Blair A. Even though they do lose Daniel H., Blair still returns two very good players in Ian and Thomas. In fact, looking at stats from Pace, Ian had a better PPG than Daniel which only goes to show how promising their team for next year will be. Regarding the rest of their team, I don't know exactly who they will pull up from their B team, but if Jonathan is right that they do return their entire B team, then I see Blair becoming an even more formidable opponent. That being said, I would still rank them behind Raynor and company, but I could see them playing TJ very closely.

With those changes, My Rankings for the Top 3 would be:

1) TJ
2) Blair A
3) RM A

I'm not too familiar with the teams from Oakland Mills, Centennial and George Marshall so I'm not gonna rank them in here yet. But I feel pretty comfortable rounding out those top 3 teams based on stats from various tournaments and having played against each of them.

Edited for clarity
Yeah, I underrated Blair
Paul Kirk-Davidoff
Carleton College '18
PastryBowl
Lulu

Post by PastryBowl »

The previous posts relating to bragging about the RM team (now in the forbidden zone) were the result of my brother finding his way onto my computer. I apologize to the Blair team.
Danish Akbar
Richard Montgomery 2013
"A pastry, by any other name, is just as sweet"
The Stately Rhododendron
Rikku

PastryBowl wrote:The previous posts relating to bragging about the RM team (now in the forbidden zone) were the result of my brother finding his way onto my computer. I apologize to the Blair team.
Also, my "oh?" was not meant to be a challenge. I just wanted (and still would like) to know what the current state of the RM team is.
IKD
Yale 18
Oakland Mills 14
jonathanmarx
Wakka

Post by jonathanmarx »

Lord Hatefun Complainington wrote:
I just wanted (and still would like) to know what the current state of the RM team is.
I honestly have no idea how we'll do at tournaments and the like, we'll have to see on the 13th at VCU...

But yeah, as for the composition of our team, it's mainly going to be Josh from last year's A-team and then me, Danish, and Sam from last year's B-team, as well as David (also from last year's B-team) filling in when one of us can't make it.
Jonathan Marx
Richard Montgomery '13
Yale '17
Lawrence Simon
Lulu

Post by Lawrence Simon »

Just in case anyone is still following this post I've seen some major changes occur over this past year. I know that the school year still has a few months left in it, but with Virginia and Maryland/DC States coming up soon it doesn't look like there will be much of a change over the next couple weeks. Blair A has by-far been the outstanding Maryland team so far this year, with RM's A team coming in a close second, but I'm not so sure of their futures. QO has encountered Blair B and RM B a couple times this year, although RM B seems like they'll be fine next year I'm not as sure about Blair's B team, especially if they have to maintain Blair's level from this year. St. Anselm's and GDS were the absolute tyrants of DC-area quizbowl last year, but have since suffered some serious losses, even with Tajin and Noah picking up the slack. Walter Johnson has made a huge comeback from last year, enough so that I know they'll still be good next year with Sameen and Nathan, and Oakland Mills seems to be progressively growing, and both have had strong showings so far at Centennial and TJ, among others. Maggie Walker, Thomas Jefferson, and Charter have all had good years so far but I think many saw that coming from pretty far away. Quince Orchard has, hopefully in the eyes of some, improved seriously since last year, and seems to be looking at getting even better considering our A team is 75% sophomores. But looking at the current status of some major B teams I can't exactly predict how things will turn out next year.
Lawrence Simon
Quince Orchard Class of '15
University of Virginia Class of '19
jonathanmarx
Wakka

Post by jonathanmarx »

Lawrence Simon wrote:Just in case anyone is still following this post I've seen some major changes occur over this past year. I know that the school year still has a few months left in it, but with Virginia and Maryland/DC States coming up soon it doesn't look like there will be much of a change over the next couple weeks. Blair A has by-far been the outstanding Maryland team so far this year, with RM's A team coming in a close second, but I'm not so sure of their futures. QO has encountered Blair B and RM B a couple times this year, although RM B seems like they'll be fine next year I'm not as sure about Blair's B team, especially if they have to maintain Blair's level from this year. St. Anselm's and GDS were the absolute tyrants of DC-area quizbowl last year, but have since suffered some serious losses, even with Tajin and Noah picking up the slack. Walter Johnson has made a huge comeback from last year, enough so that I know they'll still be good next year with Sameen and Nathan, and Oakland Mills seems to be progressively growing, and both have had strong showings so far at Centennial and TJ, among others. Maggie Walker, Thomas Jefferson, and Charter have all had good years so far but I think many saw that coming from pretty far away. Quince Orchard has, hopefully in the eyes of some, improved seriously since last year, and seems to be looking at getting even better considering our A team is 75% sophomores. But looking at the current status of some major B teams I can't exactly predict how things will turn out next year.
Yeah, looking at the general DC/MD/VA/DE area, I see it right now as Blair clearly at #1, RM/TJ/Gov all pretty close for #2-4, Charter a bit behind at 5 (their stats seem to indicate excellent bonus conversion but their power rates are significantly lower than the four above them). Beyond that, WJ, New Kent, RM B, Oakland Mills, Centennial, GDS, St. Anselm's, QO are all in the discussion in that next tier.

As for the state of RM next year, we graduate six of the eight players on our A and B teams. That being said, we return one junior in Roy who's been pretty solid and a group of excellent sophomores, led by Gabe (who's come from out of nowhere at the beginning of the year to being the 4th player on our A team - and arguably the school's best lit/arts player - when I'm away for baseball stuff) and Ben (who's really good on NAQT and getting better at other stuff). We also have a few other strong sophomores and one freshman in particular who may make a serious impact within the next 12 months or so.

With regard to other teams, I see Blair/TJ/New Kent experiencing major dropoffs (although the first two of those always manage to reload and remain in the top 50 or so). How far we drop remains to be seen - if Gabe goes on the kind of study binge he went on this past summer, I wouldn't be surprised to see RM remaining in the national picture to some degree. Gov will still be good (I'm not sure who comes back for them, but Connor on his own will be an NAQT force to be reckoned with). Oakland Mills, WJ, St. Anselm's, QO and GDS all return their primary scorers, and those four teams could end up anywhere from national top-25 teams to middle-bracket teams depending on their studying and whatnot. I really have no idea what the deal is at Centennial.

I hope this was somewhat illuminating (I guess most of it really comes down to "I have no idea and we'll have to see," but I figured I'd throw in my two cents.
Jonathan Marx
Richard Montgomery '13
Yale '17
tgaddy
Lulu

Post by tgaddy »

I'll probably write a lot more on this subject once the year is done and I have a little more information about the teams, but I would probably add Marshall and Western Albemarle to that "second" tier Marx was talking about. Leidenheimer has little support and some large gaps in knowledge, but his deep and overwhelming history knowledge is often enough to carry his team to really good performances. In that respect he reminds me of the great Daniel Hafner who could sometimes upset much better teams simply through his history knowledge. I imagine that Leidenheimer will also be able to pull off
similar upsets throughout the year.
Thomas Gaddy
Montgomery Blair High School '13
Off To See The Lizard
Wakka

tgaddy wrote:I would probably add Marshall and Western Albemarle to that "second" tier Marx was talking about.

Add George Mason into that equation, Liam and crew have been pretty impressive this year
Sameen Belal
Walter Johnson '14
New York University '18
The Stately Rhododendron
Rikku

OM will surely improve over this spring and summer due to the recent addition of "Future ACF Nationals MVP" LESTER CHARLES MCCREA IV
IKD
Yale 18
Oakland Mills 14
jonathanmarx
Wakka

Post by jonathanmarx »

tgaddy wrote:I would probably add Marshall and Western Albemarle to that "second" tier Marx was talking about.
Agreed (as with George Mason) if Liam comes back (although I don't know what year he is) - I unintentionally limited myself to discussing the teams Lawrence had mentioned in his original post.
Lord Hatefun Complainington wrote:OM will surely improve over this spring and summer due to the recent addition of "Future ACF Nationals MVP" LESTER CHARLES MCCREA IV
I have no idea what this is and I think I shall choose to ignore it.
Jonathan Marx
Richard Montgomery '13
Yale '17
Lawrence Simon
Lulu

Post by Lawrence Simon »

I specifically know that Liam is a senior, as for adding teams I think it's fine to add teams to the discussion as long as they pertain to the DC area.
Lawrence Simon
The Stately Rhododendron
Rikku

jonathanmarx wrote:I really have no idea what the deal is at Centennial.
I think maybe 3/4th of their team are seniors, they retain a freshman, Ryan. Also, they have a very,very large team and a feeder middle school.
IKD
Yale 18
Oakland Mills 14
Beevor Feevor
Rikku

Post by Beevor Feevor »

What year are Maggie Walker's A team members? I know Connor's a sophomore, but what about the rest of them? How well are they going to restock next year?
Eric Xu
Western Albemarle '15
Virginia '19
Harvard '23
Off To See The Lizard
Wakka

Einhard wrote:What year are Maggie Walker's A team members? I know Connor's a sophomore, but what about the rest of them? How well are they going to restock next year?

Saumil, Jordan and Soho are all seniors so it looks like Connor will be back by himself, which is still pretty scary since he's an absolute beast at fine arts and lit
Sameen Belal
Walter Johnson '14
New York University '18
jonathanmarx
Wakka

Post by jonathanmarx »

Off To See The Lizard wrote:
Einhard wrote:What year are Maggie Walker's A team members? I know Connor's a sophomore, but what about the rest of them? How well are they going to restock next year?

Saumil, Jordan and Soho are all seniors so it looks like Connor will be back by himself, which is still pretty scary since he's an absolute beast at fine arts and lit
How about off their B team (Robert, Vasa, Kevin, Raleigh)? Based on this (http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournament ... detail/#t9), any combination of Connor plus some of them could be scary good.
Jonathan Marx
Richard Montgomery '13
Yale '17
Lawrence Simon
Lulu

Post by Lawrence Simon »

Well two of those players turned out to be seniors, however two of them will be returning, but I predict Connor will definitely make it far in his time at Maggie Walker. I'm actually pretty interested in Blair's B team, anyone know anything about them?
Lawrence Simon
Beevor Feevor
Rikku

Post by Beevor Feevor »

Also, TJ's future team. How will they deal with losing Raynor, one of the best players in the country today in high school?
Eric Xu
Western Albemarle '15
Virginia '19
Harvard '23
Hannibal
Lulu

Post by Hannibal »

I don't know enough to comment on the immediate future of TJ, but as someone who has played with and against many of TJ's freshman and sophomores, I think I can say that many of them are not only pretty good but have the potential to be very good. On another note, St. Anselm's is pulling two decent players up from the middle school team next year, who, combined, might add 3-4 more tossups per round, especially with the protobowl/quizbowldb practice that I've been trying to get them to do.

Edit: I accidently a word.
Last edited by Hannibal on Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tajin Rogers
Longfellow MS '10-'12
St. Anselm's '12-'13
GDS '13-
UlyssesInvictus
Yuna

Post by UlyssesInvictus »

We would have had Tajin, too, if it weren't for our inane admissions system...

But yeah, I concur with Tajin: the freshmen show a lot of promise, and if they work as a team, they will probably be a top 5 team in their senior year, if not sooner. We also have some good juniors and sophomores to hold down the fort.
Raynor Kuang
quizdb.org
Harvard 2017, TJHSST 2013
I wrote GRAPHIC and FILM
Off To See The Lizard
Wakka

Lawrence Simon wrote: I'm actually pretty interested in Blair's B team, anyone know anything about them?
They're all sophomores I believe
Sameen Belal
Walter Johnson '14
New York University '18
Pushkin's Beard
Lulu

Post by Pushkin's Beard »

I think that DC area quizbowl will be dominated by non-seniors next year. I mean most of the best teams (Blair, TJ, RM, idk about Gov) are graduating their best players and I can't really think of many juniors (other than Sameen and the Kirk-Davidoffs) who lead their teams this year. So it seems like out of the teams that look like they are gonna be good next year (WJ, OM, St. Anselm's, QO, GDS, and Western Albemarle but they arent really DC-area) most of them will be led by non-seniors which makes it seem like DC-area quizbowl TWO years from now will be pretty awesome but you can never really know what is gonna happen in two years so I guess I am thinking too far ahead.

now time to plug my team. Just sayin' GDS has still not attended a tournament with our full A-team and obviously losing Daniel Brach-Neufeld and Jared Cowan (who has a great last name BTW) has hurt us but in two tournaments where we had the majority of our core team we came one tossup away from beating RM A, one tossup from beating a weakened Gov team, and beat TJ. Also a 75% of our team is made up of sophomores and we have two promising eighth graders so I think that even if we do not do that well this year, we will be better in the future.
Noah Cowan
Georgetown Day School '15