ANNOUNCEMENT: SnowCAT at Carleton College (1/28/12)

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
CaptainSwing
Lulu

ANNOUNCEMENT: SnowCAT at Carleton College (1/28/12)

Post by CaptainSwing »

Carleton College will be hosting its annual high school quiz bowl tournament, SnowCAT, on January 28th, 2012.

The question set will come from Invitational Series #111 written by NAQT. The main meeting room will be Olin Hall 149. Here is a campus map: http://www.carleton.edu/map
It is our aim to start the tournament at 9:00am, so teams are encouraged to arrive by 8:30am at the latest.

Here is the fee structure for our tournament:

Base fee: $80 per team
-$5 for a working quiz bowl buzzer system
-$10 per each moderator provided (please e-mail me ahead of time if you plan to take this discount, as extra moderators will only be used as needed)
-$10 for teams new to SnowCAT
-$20 for teams new to quiz bowl (MN Knowledge Bowl does not count for this - combined with the "new to SnowCAT" discount, Knowledge Bowl teams can play for $50)
-$10 for traveling over 100 miles to reach the tournament

We will announce the structure of the tournament later on when we have a better sense of how many teams will be playing.

To register, teams should send me an email at [email protected] with the number of teams they plan on bringing and what discounts (buzzers, moderators, etc) they plan on taking. I can send coaches an invoice upon registration, otherwise teams can simply pay at the tournament.

Please ask me any questions about the tournament, the location, or any other issues which may come up by sending an email to [email protected].

Field:
Max Henkel
Carleton '14
Writer, NAQT
mtimmons
Wakka

Re: ANNOUNCEMENT: SnowCAT at Carleton College (1/28/11)

Post by mtimmons »

Any updates on the field or format?
Max Timmons
St. Paul Central High School 2012
MIT 2016
OctagonJoe
Tidus

Post by OctagonJoe »

Congratulations to Wayzata A for going undefeated on the way to first place today, defeating Chaska A in the final, 320-255. St. Thomas came in third and Mounds Park A in fourth. Stats are now available for prelims, playoffs, and combined.
Carsten Gehring
Wayzata HS '08 | Carleton College '12 | Denver Publishing Institute '12
mtimmons
Wakka

Post by mtimmons »

This was definitely a well run tournament logistically. Some questionable format decisions compounded with a large number of upsets were pretty frustrating though. Two formatting choices stood out in particular as objectionable. One, tiebreakers were done first by head-to-head and for ties of three or more teams by ppb. Given that 3 packets went unused I'm not sure why the ties weren't played off particularly in the case of the Chaska A St. Thomas tie for a spot in the final. If for some reason ties couldn't have been played off it would have probably made more sense to use ppg for the prelim brackets ties as all the teams in a tie played the same opponents. The other issue was carrying over prelim records despite the prelim games being against entirely different opponents. Contrary to what Max said at the tournament, this doesn't seem to be a common practice at college tournaments [at least it's not how ACF rules work].
ACF Rules wrote: I.3.3 When using a full round-robin format followed by a split into playoff brackets for rematches, preliminary records should carry over for the calculation of the final standings. When using a multi-bracket preliminary format followed by rebracketing into new divisions for round-robin playoffs, preliminary records should not carry over. When using a multi-bracket preliminary format followed by rebracketing into new divisions for crossover playoffs, only the results of games against other teams in the same playoff division should carry over.
Max Timmons
MIT 2016
CaptainSwing
Lulu

Post by CaptainSwing »

In regards to the ties, I would have liked nothing more than to have playoffs, especially for a spot in the finals. But keep in mind that we were under time constraints. I had two schools leave before the playoffs and completed and was feeling pressure from coaches to get the finals match started as soon as possible. There simply would not have been time for a playoff. Chaska beat St. Thomas by more than 300 points when they played them, so I don't feel too bad about it. I don't think anyone foresaw the amount of upsets in store at this tournament.
Max Henkel
Carleton '14
Writer, NAQT
suchacardinal
Lulu

Post by suchacardinal »

CaptainSwing wrote:In regards to the ties, I would have liked nothing more than to have playoffs, especially for a spot in the finals. But keep in mind that we were under time constraints. I had two schools leave before the playoffs and completed and was feeling pressure from coaches to get the finals match started as soon as possible. There simply would not have been time for a playoff. Chaska beat St. Thomas by more than 300 points when they played them, so I don't feel too bad about it. I don't think anyone foresaw the amount of upsets in store at this tournament.
I agree, i think that had there been a playoff for that spot in the final, Chaska would have won. I wasn't feeling that great and wanted to go home anyway.
James Hartnett
Saint Thomas Academy '12
University of Virginia '16
mtimmons
Wakka

Post by mtimmons »

suchacardinal wrote:
CaptainSwing wrote:In regards to the ties, I would have liked nothing more than to have playoffs, especially for a spot in the finals. But keep in mind that we were under time constraints. I had two schools leave before the playoffs and completed and was feeling pressure from coaches to get the finals match started as soon as possible. There simply would not have been time for a playoff. Chaska beat St. Thomas by more than 300 points when they played them, so I don't feel too bad about it. I don't think anyone foresaw the amount of upsets in store at this tournament.
I agree, i think that had there been a playoff for that spot in the final, Chaska would have won. I wasn't feeling that great and wanted to go home anyway.
My point isn't that I think any team got screwed over except maybe Wayzata B because of bracketing but that head-to-head isn't a good tiebreaker in general. Chaska A was pretty clearly the best team statistically in our bracket and would have won the points per game and points per bonus tiebreakers as well.
Max Timmons
MIT 2016