2012 NAQT Ontario Provincial Tournament (3/24/2012)

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
bsmith
Tidus

2012 NAQT Ontario Provincial Tournament (3/24/2012)

Post by bsmith »

The Ontario Quizbowl Association, in collaboration with the team at Guelph, is pleased to host the 2012 NAQT Ontario Provincial Tournament. It will be held at the University of Guelph on March 24, 2012. This tournament will be the premier high school quizbowl event in Ontario, serving as an opportunity to bring competition from all active regions in the province. This tournament is also an opportunity for teams to qualify for the NAQT High School National Championship Tournament and the PACE National Scholastic Championship.

I, Ben Smith, will act as tournament director for the Provincial Tournament, and can be reached by email at president -AT- onqba.ca . The team at Guelph will still have a role in running the event, and if you have any issues about the campus or city (directions, hotels, food, etc.), you can direct inquiries to Chris Greenwood ( christopher.john.greenwood -AT- gmail.com ) or to me: I'll either answer what I know or pass it along.

The tournament will use NAQT set IS 116. The games will be timed and calculation questions will be removed. We also expect to be able to include approximately one tossup and bonus per game of Canadian content. Games will follow NAQT rules.

We tentatively have a field cap of 21 teams, and will, for now, limit schools to 3 teams each until we are more confident of space and staff. For a field of 10 teams or fewer, there will be a full round-robin plus additional playoff rounds to get all teams to at least 8 or 9 games. For fields greater than 10 teams, there will be preliminary pools followed by playoff tiers.

The tournament fees are as follows:
$65 for the first team from a school
$55 for the second team from a school
$45 for each additional team from a school beyond the second
$10 discount for working buzzer systems

To encourage more activity in the high school circuit during the year, the ONQBA is also offering "participation" discounts. A school that participated in an ONQBA-certified event can claim up to one of the following (schools are listed after their highest eligible discount):

$50 for hosting an ONQBA-certified event (Lisgar, Ridley)
$15 for attending at least two non-provincials certified events (Colonel By, Woburn)
$10 for winning a certified event (Centennial, Sir Winston Churchill, Regiopolis)
$5 for finishing in the top 15% of a certified event (UTS)

All teams from Ontario are welcome and encouraged to attend. No prior qualification or experience is necessary, although it is recommended that you become familiar with NAQT rules. Also note that, as a non-profit organization, the ONQBA will donate any surplus proceeds to schools that attend national quizbowl championships in the US.

The tournament's web page is found on the ONQBA website. For registrations or questions, contact me at president -AT- onqba.ca .

Good luck to the teams!
Last edited by bsmith on Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ben Smith
Ottawa '08 & '10
Fado Alexandrino
Yuna

Re: 2012 NAQT Ontario Provincial Tournament (3/24/2012)

Post by Fado Alexandrino »

Lisgar should be coming to this with at least two teams.
Joe Su, OCT
Lisgar 2012, McGill 2015, McGill 2019, Queen's 2020
bsmith
Tidus

Post by bsmith »

Field update.

Confirmed with me:
Lisgar (1)
London South (2)
Regiopolis Notre Dame (2)
Centennial (Guelph; 1-2)

Interested/unconfirmed:
Thornhill (1-2)
Woburn (2)
St. Joseph's (St. Thomas; 1)

Registrations should be sent to me at president -AT- onqba.ca, indicating your school and the number of teams and buzzers you plan to bring.
Ben Smith
Ottawa '08 & '10
bsmith
Tidus

Post by bsmith »

I really don't want 13 teams, so I'm going to say that the field of 12 teams is:

Centennial (1)
Lisgar (1)
London South (1)
Regiopolis Notre Dame (2)
St. Joseph's (2)
Thornhill (1)
Westmount (2)
Woburn (2?)*

*if Woburn is uncertain, I have backup schedules for 10 or 11 teams. There also may be a solo player from Westdale who could fill in.

If anyone hasn't received updates by email, we will meet in Macdonald Stewart Hall, room 129 at 9 AM.

edit: note the room change
Ben Smith
Ottawa '08 & '10
bsmith
Tidus

Post by bsmith »

The 2012 ONQBA provincial championship ended with undefeated Lisgar having a wide margin of 3 wins over the rest of the 12 team field, completing the three-peat at Ontario provincials. Woburn B and Westmount A tied at 8-3, and played a final to decide the second-place trophy, which was won by Woburn, 230-205. Sam from Westdale, filling in as a last-minute replacement solo team, finished as the top individual and had more powers than any other team.

Stats are available here: http://onqba.ca/stats/2012ONQBA/2012ONQ ... dings.html

Thanks to all the teams that came, the Guelph staff that hosted, and Britney, Aaron, Jay, and JJ for coming in to moderate.

Two final notes:

-Any Ontario team that attends a quizbowl national championship (in the US) is eligible to receive a share of the proceeds of this tournament. To be considered, please send a short message to me via president -at- onqba.ca indicating your interest in these funds.

-The ONQBA's carry-over commitment to Guelph's team has concluded, which means that the hosting duties of the 2013 provincial tournament will be open to bids from schools. Details of this process will come in the near future (ie: before universities finish at the end of April).
Ben Smith
Ottawa '08 & '10
Masked Canadian History Bandit
Rikku

Post by Masked Canadian History Bandit »

Congratulations to Lisgar and the rest of the teams and players. A big thanks to the staff for making sure this was well-run.
Patrick Liao
Lisgar Collegiate Institute 2011, University of Pennsylvania 2015, University of Toronto Faculty of Law 2019