Wildcat XIV at Northwestern (5/20/12)

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Dan-Don
Yuna

Wildcat XIV at Northwestern (5/20/12)

Post by Dan-Don »

Northwestern University's Wildcat XIV will be a mirror of Hunter College High School's Prison Bowl on Sunday May 20, 2012. I, Dan Donohue, will be Tournament Director.

Northwestern will aso be hosting the Midwest Championship on Saturday, and teams can earn a discount by attending both events. Wildcat XIV is primarily intended as a warm-up for teams attending HSNCT and/or NSC. Any A team may register, but B teams (and so on) must be qualified for HSNCT or NSC to register.

Getting here: There is a large NATO summit happening in Chicago during the tournaments. As such, there will be many road closings, which you can read about here. The best way to circumvent the closings will be to take 294 North and exit at Dempster. Allow yourself plenty of extra time to get here because I do not want to delay the start of the tournament. If you are running late, please call my mobile phone, (847) 915-1013, and I'll see what I can do.

Checking in: The tournament will occur entirely in Kresge Hall (sometimes called Kresge Centennial Hall), which is located at 1880 Campus Drive. There is free parking in the Lakeside Parking Structure, which is located at 1 Arts Circle Drive. Please come to Kresge 4-365 (that's room 365 on the 4th floor) and check in between 7:30 and 8:00 am. My goal is to start by 8:30 am (or sooner, if everyone's there).

Tournament rules: We will be following all collegiate ACF Rules. The 11 teams will play a full round robin, followed by finals if necessary. This guantees 10 matches and 1 bye. Ties for advancement into the finals will be played off.

Lunch: I'm currently planning on taking an hour-long lunch break after Round 7. Lunch is not provided for teams, but there are many restaurants you can walk to from Kresge. When you check in, I will give you a map of nearby food options.

Hotels: If you are staying overnight, the Hilton Orrington, Hilton Garden Inn, and Best Western University Plaza are all within walking distance of Kresge. If these are outside of your price range, try looking at the Skokie Comfort Inn or other neighboring suburbs.

Registered field (11 teams)
Academy of Carpentry
Culver x 2
Dorman
IMSA x 2
Kaneland
Loyola x2
New Trier
Something Ambiguous
Last edited by Dan-Don on Wed May 16, 2012 10:28 pm, edited 25 times in total.
Dan Donohue, Saint Viator ('10), Northwestern ('14), NAQT
Dominator
Tidus

Re: Wildcat XIV at Northwestern (5/20/12)

Post by Dominator »

IMSA: 2 teams, at least one staffer, maybe even a buzzer system or two
Dr. Noah Prince

Normal Community High School (2002)
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (2004, 2007, 2008)

Illinois Mathematics and Science Academy - Scholastic Bowl coach (2009-2014), assistant coach (2014-2015), well wisher (2015-2016)
guy in San Diego (2016-present)
President of Qblitz (2018-present)

Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

Post by Irreligion in Bangladesh »

Is the MW Championship=Saturday, Prison Bowl=Sunday set in stone? Prison Bowl should have a wider pull of interest, but the Sunday aspect might dissuade some teams from going, and switching them probably would not hinder Midwest Championship's field. It's something to ask about in an invite email, at least.
Brad Fischer
Head Editor, IHSA State Series
IHSSBCA Chair

Winnebago HS ('06)
Northern Illinois University ('10)
Assistant Coach, IMSA (2010-12)
Coach, Keith Country Day School (2012-16)
Dan-Don
Yuna

Post by Dan-Don »

When Coach Blessman and I discussed this last week, we put Midwest on Saturday just to make travel easier for out-of-state teams. (That is, if an out-of-state team needs to catch a flight Saturday night or early Sunday, they can attend Midwest Championship, which will probably be a harder and more competitive tournament.) If there's a big demand to have Wildcat on Saturday, we can probably look into that. The one benefit I see to having Midwest Championship on Sunday is that we can guarantee to have teams out at a very reasonable time because rounds are timed.
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

Post by Irreligion in Bangladesh »

Dan-Don wrote:When Coach Blessman and I discussed this last week, we put Midwest on Saturday just to make travel easier for out-of-state teams. (That is, if an out-of-state team needs to catch a flight Saturday night or early Sunday, they can attend Midwest Championship, which will probably be a harder and more competitive tournament.) If there's a big demand to have Wildcat on Saturday, we can probably look into that. The one benefit I see to having Midwest Championship on Sunday is that we can guarantee to have teams out at a very reasonable time because rounds are timed.
That's a good point as well; I encourage you to ask teams like Dorman about their preferences, because Prison Bowl is a great set of questions every year, and Wildcat should have a field commensurate with that quality.

Read - everybody, sign up for this tournament!
Brad Fischer
Head Editor, IHSA State Series
IHSSBCA Chair

Winnebago HS ('06)
Northern Illinois University ('10)
Assistant Coach, IMSA (2010-12)
Coach, Keith Country Day School (2012-16)
SoLegit12
Wakka

Post by SoLegit12 »

duPont Manual (x2) expresses interest.
Nick "Nick" Neuteufel
Criticizing your philosophy and social science writing since 2010.
duPont Manual HS '12
UNC Chapel Hill '16 (VP of the Carlolina Academic Team)
[email protected]
Dan-Don
Yuna

Post by Dan-Don »

This tournament has been platinum-certified by PACE, so the top 25% of the field will qualify for PACE. This could be a great last-minute way to get a platinum qualification for PACE, so register as soon as possible to guarantee your spot.
Kilroy Was Here
Rikku

Post by Kilroy Was Here »

Myself and a few kids from DCC are expressing interest in attending this.
Collin Parks
University of Michigan '18

"Aragorn was the famed king of Gondor, while the Iberian kingdom was Aragon. Both parties were aware of this coincidence: we have a journal entry from Aragorn that expresses his anger at receiving mail meant for King Peter IV of Aragon for the umpteenth time."~ CommodoreCoCo
Euler's Constant
Lulu

Post by Euler's Constant »

For the time being can Saint Joseph's be referred to as "The Academy of Carpentry".
Nicholas Wawrykow
Saint Joseph('s) High School (IN) '13
Yale '17
Dan-Don
Yuna

Post by Dan-Don »

DCD is out. We'll do 2 of 6 into 2 of 6.

EDIT: And Auburn just dropped. So it will be an eleven-team round robin.
Dan-Don
Yuna

Post by Dan-Don »

Stats are now being updated.
gauss1181
Lulu

Post by gauss1181 »

There's just a minor error in the team roster for IMSA B. Apparently the scorekeeper mistakened my name in one of my half matches. We do not have a team member named Maddie.
Megan Chen
Illinois Math and Science Academy '12
Carnegie Mellon University '16
Paris Trouts - OSPL Round 6 Champions
Dan-Don
Yuna

Post by Dan-Don »

gauss1181 wrote:There's just a minor error in the team roster for IMSA B. Apparently the scorekeeper mistakened my name in one of my half matches. We do not have a team member named Maddie.
Fixed.
Good Goblin Housekeeping
Auron

Post by Good Goblin Housekeeping »

My stats and Amanda Nguyen's stats appear to be switched for the game vs IMSA B
Andrew Wang
Illinois 2016
Dan-Don
Yuna

Post by Dan-Don »

Loyola defeated IMSA B for the right to play IMSA A in a one-game final, which IMSA won. I'll be happy to take stats corrections. (I fixed the above New Trier mistake.)

Thank you to Brad Fischer, Matt Laird, Mike Laudermith, and Connor Teevens for moderating all weekend. Thanks to Phil Blessman, Ben Dillon, and Kent Kiester for moderating yesterday. And thanks to everyone who came out.
Kilroy Was Here
Rikku

Our team had a fantastic experience at this tournament. The set was probably the best I have heard this year.
Collin Parks

"Aragorn was the famed king of Gondor, while the Iberian kingdom was Aragon. Both parties were aware of this coincidence: we have a journal entry from Aragorn that expresses his anger at receiving mail meant for King Peter IV of Aragon for the umpteenth time."~ CommodoreCoCo
Charles Martel
Wakka

Post by Charles Martel »

Props to Dan-Don for getting up all of the stats within like 5 minutes of each round finishing. Also, Hunter wrote a great set. There were a few buzzer races, but I think that only shows how ready teams are for nationals.
Adam Kalinich
MIT 2012-
Illinois Math and Science Academy 2009-2012
Kilroy Was Here
Rikku

Yah what Adam said. My only complaint is that we lost to Loyola on a buzzer race on a super-stock clue in the first line of a tossup and the next game we got beaten on a tossup who's first line was a clue that's on one of the first pages of the frequency list.
Collin Parks