Nationals Terminology

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Scaled Flowerpiercer
Wakka

Nationals Terminology

Post by Scaled Flowerpiercer »

This might be a kind of silly thing to bring up, but I have noticed that NHBB's name has often confused me a little bit when trying to refer to the organization or the national tournament. The name National History Bee and Bowl seems to be used both for the organization and thus the regional tournaments and the national tournament in April...has any thought been put into perhaps giving the national tournament a different name which would allow it to be talked about in a less ambiguous manner, other than the redundant "NHBB nationals?" For example, NAQT has "national" in their name, but then the national tournament is named something totally different, HSNCT.

EDIT: I know months...
Last edited by Scaled Flowerpiercer on Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Samuel Donow
Irvington High School '12
Williams College '16
Great Bustard
Auron

Re: Nationals Terminology

Post by Great Bustard »

SrgtDonow wrote:This might be a kind of silly thing to bring up, but I have noticed that NHBB's name has often confused me a little bit when trying to refer to the organization or the national tournament. The name National History Bee and Bowl seems to be used both for the organization and thus the regional tournaments and the national tournament in August...
Well, that would be confusing... (it's in April, of course) Beyond that, I think we're fine with "NHBB Nationals" or the longer form "NHBB National Championships" or for those who will, "The National History Bee and Bowl - National Championships". Also, for next year, the official organizational name will become "The International History Bee and Bowl" but we'll continue to refer to our tournaments (and ourselves) in the USA as NHBB, at least for the foreseeable future.
David Madden
Ridgewood (NJ) '99, Princeton '03
Founder and Director: International History Bee and Bowl, National History Bee and Bowl (High School Division), International History Olympiad, United States Geography Olympiad, US History Bee, US Academic Bee and Bowl, National Humanities Bee, National Science Bee, International Academic Bowl.
Adviser and former head coach for Team USA at the International Geography Olympiad