Skipping a Bonus

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
itsthatoneguy
Rikku

Skipping a Bonus

Post by itsthatoneguy »

Consider the following situation:
  • Team A is playing a timed NAQT match against Team B.
  • Team A is down by 35 points after answering tossup 19 with only 10 seconds left in the game.
  • If the clock runs out during the next bonus, Team A can't win (obviously) even if they get 30 points on the bonus.
  • The captain of Team A predicts that even if he says "No answer" to each of the following bonus parts, the clock will run out without getting to another tossup.
  • Knowing this, the captain of Team A wishes to completely skip the bonus so that his team can hear another tossup and have a shot at winning.
Can the captain of Team A do this (i.e. is this a legal strategy)? NAQT's rules, to my understanding, don't explicitly ban this strategy (I've posted the relevant rules below). I do not believe I have encountered this situation playing or moderating and am interested to hear what other people think.

I personally think skipping a bonus and moving onto the next tossup should be allowed, especially if you are certain you will zero that bonus (such as "Name these characters from (a novel you've never heard of) --" or "Name these characters from Fox's Terra Nova--".

(Note: the second bonus should be skipped by all quiz bowl players in all situations.)
2. A team has 5 seconds to answer each part of a bonus question, unless otherwise noted by the question. After reading each part, the moderator will prompt the team for an answer after 4 seconds. Once prompted, someone on that team must begin answering, or the captain must immediately designate the person who will answer.

3. A team may begin its answer before the end of a bonus question. In such cases, the moderator stops reading when the team begins its answer. If the bonus contains another part, the moderator then asks the next part. This happens even if the part asks for more than one piece of information and the team gives only one; a risk of answering the bonus while it is being read is that a team might miss the fact that it is asking for multiple pieces of information.

4. If the bonus question contains multiple parts, a team may answer only the part that is being read. Any "introduction" (e.g., "For 10 points each--given a Vice President of the United States, name the President under whom he served.") belongs to the first part of the question.
Bryan Berend
Detroit Catholic Central '09
Michigan '13
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

Re: Skipping a Bonus

Post by Adventure Temple Trail »

Seems like under current rules, the only way to do this is to say "No answer" as soon as the mod starts reading, then say it quickly again each time they utter the first syllable of each of the next two parts. There's no way to skip the whole bonus at once.
Matt Jackson
University of Chicago '24
Yale '14, Georgetown Day School '10
member emeritus, ACF
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Important Bird Area »

RyuAqua wrote:Seems like under current rules, the only way to do this is to say "No answer" as soon as the mod starts reading, then say it quickly again each time they utter the first syllable of each of the next two parts. There's no way to skip the whole bonus at once.
Matt is correct.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
Down and out in Quintana Roo
Auron

Post by Down and out in Quintana Roo »

Just another reason why using timers invites gamesmanship and twists of the rules, and should be used in as few situations as possible.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Caesar Rodney High School
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
University of Delaware '01-'05
CRHS quizbowl coach '06-'12
http://crquizbowl.edublogs.org
abnormal abdomen
Rikku

Post by abnormal abdomen »

I, too, have wondered about this in the past. Is there any particular reason why the option is not open? I don't particularly feel strong enough about this issue to be all "WE MUST HAVE THIS OPTION OPEN," and I guess that there doesn't really need to be a perfect reason for everything, but if there is rationale behind this, I would be interested in hearing it from Jeff or someone else with knowledge about this.
Abid Haseeb
Auburn High School '12
Brown University '16
Writer, HSAPQ
Writer, NAQT
i never see pigeons in wheeling
Rikku

Post by i never see pigeons in wheeling »

I've actually wondered why NAQT doesn't allow teams to outright discard bonuses. It is their prerogative whether they want to receive points from it or not (since the bonus is solely theirs). If they truly are desperate enough that they will resort to that, then I think they should be allowed to do that.
Ankit
Cal '16
Bellarmine College Preparatory '12
Masked Canadian History Bandit
Rikku

Post by Masked Canadian History Bandit »

I remember when Lisgar sent two teams to HSNCT in 2010, our B-team asked readers to just give them 0s for certain Americana topics, and I think they were allowed this.
Patrick Liao
Lisgar Collegiate Institute 2011, University of Pennsylvania 2015, University of Toronto Faculty of Law 2019