Kentucky 2012-13

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
AKKOLADE
Sin

Re: Kentucky 2012-13

Post by AKKOLADE »

This is a very preliminary announcement.

After UK's Spring Championship, I think we're going to hold tryouts for this year's Kentucky NASAT team. I'm going to try to finalize a plan soon, but depending on how many people we have, I expect this to take absolutely no more. If you're not on a team that's currently in the field for our tourney, you're more than welcome to attend and try out; I expect tryouts to start around 6 p.m. There will likely be a nominal fee for the tryout, probably no more than $5/person.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, co-owner
PACE
former (?) hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Could you add NSC on the calendar, for June 8?
Fred Morlan
PACE
former (?) hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Fred Morlan
PACE
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

I'm not at State, but the KAAC Twitter account indicates that the Quarterfinal matchups are:

St. Xavier vs. Ashland Blazer
Campbell Co. vs. Dunbar
Henderson Co. vs. Pikeville
Calloway Co. vs. Corbin

Ground reports indicate that questions and format are, unsurprisingly, not great. In the round of 16, Dunbar beat Manual and Pikeville beat Johnson Central. Hooray for random draws and single elimination. :roll:

EDIT: Final 4 is St. Xavier, Campbell, Pikeville, and Calloway.
Nick Conder
Kentucky Quizbowl Alliance
Church51907
Wakka

Post by Church51907 »

Wow. I cannot remember the last time there was a final 4 without Manual or Dunbar. Nick, do you have the round of 16 pairings by chance?
Matt Church
U of L
Matt Church
University of Louisville
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

The information I have is just what KAAC tweeted throughout the weekend. I also know that Pikeville won the state title by beating somebody (I guess St. X or Campbell) in the final by one question.
Nick Conder
jesseshelburne
Lulu

Post by jesseshelburne »

St. X led by 1 point at the end of the second half of the quick recall final, but after inquiries, Pikeville ended up winning by 1. Both teams played very well. Manual and Dunbar (who were unfortunate enough to play each other in the quick recall Round of 16) ended up as co-champions overall, seemingly due to problems with the total scoring. St. X was third and Russell was fourth. Congratulations to all teams who participated!
Jesse Shelburne
Captain - duPont Manual (KY) '14
Harvard '18
The ChatSack Triple-Play
Lulu

Post by The ChatSack Triple-Play »

Regarding KAAC State, I'd like to congratulate everyone whom we played and apologize for the way we ended up winning. [To say nothing of not having to play against any traditional powerhouses except Johnson: There was a clerical error - in the finals packet. "Elegy Written in a Country Churchyard" was repeated from the first half as the answer line for a tossup on "The Garden Party". And then they gave us a bonus on Columbus.] Apologies too to Dunbar and Manual, for the reasons mentioned above.

The questions are getting better at an asymptotic pace. They still favored breadth over depth [there were a lot of answer lines that really shouldn't have been in a high school packet of this purported difficulty, "The Use of Force" by WCW and resistor-capacitor circuits], and they're still generally anal-retentive about what's written on the paper [we had to inquire In for The in the title of In Praise of Folly, and in the finals St. X got denied on a Plutarch's Lives vs. Parallel Lives dispute that they really should've won], but we may have questions in a few years that sound vaguely like ACF Fall from early last decade.
Sasha Malone
WKU '20

they/them

"Because we're young we think nothing can destroy us. Something can." ~ John Darnielle
Helmuth von Moltke
Wakka

Post by Helmuth von Moltke »

Alex, it's always great playing you guys, but it was a shame how early in had to happen.
Trevor Blevins
Johnson Central '16
FCPanther
Wakka

Post by FCPanther »

It's super early but:

Fleming County High School (Kentucky) will be hosting the 16th annual Fleming County Academic Tournament on January 11, 2014. We plan on using HSAPQ questions again (no word for sure on which set but probably VHSL season sets).

Most of the details should be the same. $60 entry for a school's first team, $30 for additional teams (we do ask schools to bring a working buzzer and an official). We plan to keep the pool play format, with reseeding into the afternoon pool rounds. We will still guarantee 6 games, and try to stay on our modified Governor's Cup format (40 toss ups with single part bonuses). A merger of quizbowl and Governor's Cup.

There will still be varsity and "B" team divisions. We will plan to tentatively set a 32 team cap. IF we can secure the volunteers it's possible we may expand to 36.

More details as we move forward.
Kent Grannis--Fleming County High School Academic Coach
Helmuth von Moltke
Wakka

Post by Helmuth von Moltke »

FCPanther wrote:It's super early but:

Fleming County High School (Kentucky) will be hosting the 16th annual Fleming County Academic Tournament on January 11, 2014. We plan on using HSAPQ questions again (no word for sure on which set but probably VHSL season sets).

Most of the details should be the same. $60 entry for a school's first team, $30 for additional teams (we do ask schools to bring a working buzzer and an official). We plan to keep the pool play format, with reseeding into the afternoon pool rounds. We will still guarantee 6 games, and try to stay on our modified Governor's Cup format (40 toss ups with single part bonuses). A merger of quizbowl and Governor's Cup.

There will still be varsity and "B" team divisions. We will plan to tentatively set a 32 team cap. IF we can secure the volunteers it's possible we may expand to 36.

More details as we move forward.
It is absolutely never too early to post details about one of my favorite tournaments of the year!
Trevor Blevins
Johnson Central '16
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

The fact that there was only one tournament in the two months preceding nationals is probably not a good omen for Kentucky teams attending national tournaments. Next year we need to try and make it obvious that the season doesn't end in mid-March, and hopefully have a full schedule of good tournaments throughout the spring. It's one of many things that we can do to make this circuit competitive on a national stage.
Nick Conder
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

I'll have to check on the availability of rooms and such, but it might be possible for UK to host a "nationals warm up" in May after everyone's finals are over. We're also considering hosting both a fall & a spring semester tournament, though we might just stick to one tourney during the school year.
Fred Morlan
PACE
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

On behalf of the University of Kentucky Academic Team, I'm pleased to announce our tentative plans to host three high school tournaments next calendar year.

The University of Kentucky Fall Championship will tentatively be held on November 16th, 2013.

The University of Kentucky Spring Championship will tentatively be held on March 8th, 2014. Both the Fall and the Spring Championships should be fun events for teams of all strengths.

The University of Kentucky Pre-Nationals Tournament will tentatively be held on May 10th, 2014. This tournament is designed as a warm up event for teams who plan on competing at either the NAQT HSNCT or the PACE NSC.
Fred Morlan
PACE
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

This is semi-public knowledge, but I'll go ahead and throw out WKU's 2013-14 plans:

The WKU Fall JV Tournament will happen on October 19, with plans to once again use the SCOP Novice set. This tournament will be open to middle school teams, but we no longer will be attempting to run a separate division for them.

The WKU Hilltopper Invitational will be on November 23. We'll let everyone know which set we use, but look for it to be a housewrite similar to the MSU/UD set we used this past year.

We will also be hosting a spring tournament, likely in March or April. We're going to be writing a set (perhaps with another partner, stay tuned...) and so this tournament will serve as the main site for the set.

We probably will try to host two or three college tournaments again next year, all teams are welcome to those as always.
Nick Conder
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

This week there are ten teams from Kentucky competing in NAQT's HSNCT. There are only three teams going to NSC as far as I know, so an in-depth preview (hint: Dunbar and Pikeville will do well, but neither will win it) for PACE probably won't be forthcoming. So we'll look at our state's chance at HSNCT, in order from top to bottom:

Dunbar A
Athena, Will, John, and Valerie form an impressive core of players who are all threats to score in every game, and as the year has gone on, Dunbar has seemed to achieve a thin advantage over the rest of the state on pyramidal questions, and in this case the team I think is closest to them (Pikeville) won’t be at HSNCT. Next year Dunbar may have the talent to make a run at a top ten finish, but for this year they're probably not quite there. (Prediction: 8-2 prelims, 3-2 playoffs)

Manual A
Manual has shown they have the ability to beat Dunbar from time to time, but they seem just ever so slightly behind them. Even without that, whatever combination of players is their best four will be good enough to beat a lot of teams at HSNCT. I feel like they are going to have a pretty good finish, but they have the ability to collect the occasional disappointing loss and probably will somewhere along the way. (7-3 prelims, 3-2 playoffs)

Manual B
There are two Kentucky teams that have the most ability to pull off a huge surprise at HSNCT, and Manual B is one of them. At times during NAQT State, it really seemed like they were the best team there. I could absolutely see them pulling off a stunner over a top ranked team, but I don't see them going any further than their A team. If Manual moves the best players to their A team, the B team is still going to be dangerous. (7-3 prelims, 2-2 playoffs)

Corbin
I think the team most analogous to my prediction for Corbin is 2010 Adair County, which went 6-4 on Saturday before going on a crazy playoff run on Sunday. Kieren has an exciting playing style that means he is able (and actually likely, in my opinion) to either pull of a gigantic upset on Saturday or go on a Sunday run that last longer than anyone would expect. Depending on the contributions of his teammates, they could do both. (6-4 prelims, 4-1 playoffs)

Russell
I honestly don’t know where to put Russell, because they haven’t played much except for A-sets. It’s hard to tell how well they’ll do on nationals level questions, but they seem like a good enough team to do good enough to flirt with the playoffs. And as usual, they should be a threat on Sunday in the small school playoffs. (6-4 prelims, 1-1 playoffs)

Glasgow
We haven’t seen a lot of Glasgow this year, but they did good at Ezell-Harding and have performed well at things like History Bowl. I think they’ll have a similar finish as Russell in the small school playoffs, and I honestly wouldn’t be surprised to see both in the top four or five in that division. (6-4 prelims, 1-1 playoffs)

Ballard
Ballard has performed well all year, and at NAQT State they showed they are a pretty good team but a bit below the top tier in the state. I think they’ll squeak through to the playoffs, but likely won’t advance. (6-4 prelims, 0-1 playoffs)

Dunbar B
Perhaps I’m overweighting the results seen at NAQT State (and at UK’s tournament) but Dunbar doesn’t seem to have a lot of B team depth. I could definitely be surprised, especially if Dunbar goes with a weird lineup combination, but I don’t think they make the playoffs. (5-5 prelims)

Eastern
Eastern is a solid team and has performed well at times. There are a lot of teams with similar abilities, and while Eastern’s underperformance at NAQT State can be attributed to some people not being there, I just don’t see them making it to Sunday. (4-6 prelims)

Whitley County
As you’ve seen above, I feel that many of Kentucky’s best teams have come to HSNCT and will do well. Whitley County apparently qualified by winning a TV tournament, but they finished 5th in their KAAC region and aren’t very experienced with pyramidal questions. (2-8 prelims)
Nick Conder
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

Kentucky teams at HSNCT:

Dunbar A: 7-3
Manual A: 7-3
Dunbar B: 6-4
Manual B: 5-5
Ballard: 5-5
Glasgow: 5-5
Russell: 5-5
Corbin: 5-5
Eastern: 4-6
Whitley County: 3-7

The first three will compete in the playoffs tomorrow; Glasgow and Russell (and maybe Whitley?) will compete in the small school playoffs. As I suspected, lots of Kentucky teams bunched around the middle of the field, although several teams didn't break through and get into the playoffs like I thought they might. Still a pretty decent performance from Kentucky today.
Nick Conder