Southern California Date Claim 2012-2013

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Jason Cheng
Rikku

Southern California Date Claim 2012-2013

Post by Jason Cheng »

This may be in a thread for the wrong season but...

Split into a new thread --Mgmt.

Rumor has it that the UCLA program has become defunct and as such TWAIN will not be happening next year. Can anyone confirm this? Also, would there be any interest in an NAQT-set tournament hosted by Arcadia around mid-October to fill in the early LA area tournament gap?
Jason Cheng
Arcadia High School 2013
UCSD 2017
cchiego
Yuna

Re: Southern California Date Claim 2011-2012

Post by cchiego »

UCSD is reserving our usual dates of October 13th for Triton Novice and November 10th for Triton Fall.

At least three new schools have contacted me indicating their interest in hosting tournaments next year, so we need to get a tournament date wrangling email thread going. If anyone outside of the teams who have hosted tournaments in the past year (UCSD, Torrey, Arcadia, La Jolla, Westview, Irvine) and the three schools who have contacted me thus far (Del Norte, Madison, and Francis Parker) is interested in getting in on this (Claremont? Caltech? others?), email me.
Chris C.
Past: UGA/UCSD/Penn
Present: Solano County, CA
cvdwightw
Auron

Re: Southern California Date Claim 2011-2012

Post by cvdwightw »

cchiego wrote:At least three new schools have contacted me indicating their interest in hosting tournaments next year, so we need to get a tournament date wrangling email thread going. If anyone outside of the teams who have hosted tournaments in the past year (UCSD, Torrey, Arcadia, La Jolla, Westview, Irvine) and the three schools who have contacted me thus far (Del Norte, Madison, and Francis Parker) is interested in getting in on this (Claremont? Caltech? others?), email me.
Assuming we don't go defunct, UCI is likely to host Baby Anteater again in partnership with a local school (Edison again, maybe) on its usual date. I may or may not still be there at that point, though.

I heard Irvine wants to move its tournament to the fall this year.

Here's a sample schedule for the whole year. I'm trying to keep a balance between weekends on/off and also with geography (there should be more tournaments in SD because there are more teams there, but we need to keep the Arcadias and North Hollywoods from having to get up at 6:00 every weekend).

Fall
October 6: TWAIN/LA tournament
October 13: Triton Novice
October 27: Tournament, place TBA (Irvine?)
(November 3: ACF Fall at TBA)
November 10: Triton Fall
November 17: Tournament, place TBA (Caltech? preferably not SD twice in a row)
December 1 and/or 8: Tournament, place TBA (SD high school?)

Winter
January 19: Triton Winter
January 26: Baby Anteater
(February 2: Academic Decathlon written tests?)
February 9/16/23: TPOT
February 9/16/23: Arcadia Carnal Embrace
(March 2: History Bowl at Whitney?)
March 9: La Jolla Rocket Surgery
March 23: State Champs (SD area?)
(various dates: Science Bowl)

Spring
April 6 or 13: Tournament, place TBA (LA/OC?)
April 13 or 20: Tournament, place TBA (Westview? Other SD high school?)
May 18: Triton Spring
Dwight Wynne
socalquizbowl.org
UC Irvine 2008-2013; UCLA 2004-2007; Capistrano Valley High School 2000-2003

"It's a competition, but it's not a sport. On a scale, if football is a 10, then rowing would be a two. One would be Quiz Bowl." --Matt Birk on rowing, SI On Campus, 10/21/03

"If you were my teammate, I would have tossed your ass out the door so fast you'd be emitting Cerenkov radiation, but I'm not classy like Dwight." --Jerry
Jason Cheng
Rikku

Re: Southern California Date Claim 2012-2013

Post by Jason Cheng »

Irvine has mentioned that they're currently looking at the Saturday of their spring break for their tournament. I haven't heard anything about whether they want to host two next year (which would be great- IHOP was excellent).

My club is currently interested in hosting two tournaments next year- a fall tournament and Carnal Embrace. If TWAIN does happen, then we could fill the November slot. If it does not, then we could still move the tournament to November 17 depending on attendance because October 6 is an SAT date (first Saturday of the month), and probably the most taken one since it's the first SAT after summer.
Jason Cheng
Arcadia High School 2013
UCSD 2017
bchiang
Lulu

Post by bchiang »

Irvine will probably be interested in hosting on October 27th and April 6th/13th. However, due to lack of staffers at this point (we are now short on members), we will probably have to keep our tournament at 18 teams maximum, but more flexibility may be offered in April. If we have the resources to do so, we could also host one in winter but that will have to depend on the commitment of the members.

Also, Dwight and I are trying to get an academic league started in Irvine (with the four schools here: University, Northwood, Irvine, Woodbridge) using an NAQT set (top finisher qualifies for HSNCT). This league will probably consist of 2-4 meets with 6/4/3 Quiz Bowl games each week. I am wondering if geographic exclusivity could be used for that set.

Finally, I suggest that Triton Spring be run with NAQT rules regarding timers in order for teams to prepare for nationals, the extra practice can really help a team become more accustomed and comfortable with the system.
Benjamin Chiang
Irvine 2013
cchiego
Yuna

Post by cchiego »

bchiang wrote:Finally, I suggest that Triton Spring be run with NAQT rules regarding timers in order for teams to prepare for nationals, the extra practice can really help a team become more accustomed and comfortable with the system.
This is, of course, a super-labor intensive process that requires a scorekeeper and competent moderator in each room. It'll be up to next year's team leadership to decide on.
bchiang wrote:I am wondering if geographic exclusivity could be used for that set.
Why would you need that? It would make far more sense to have a local San Diego tournament use that set too considering how few NAQT sets there are available each year.

I just emailed a bunch of people in SoCal who said they were interested so hopefully they'll either post here or let Dwight and I know when they're interested in hosting.

Sunday tournaments have gone over fairly well here too, so don't let SAT dates dissuade teams.
Chris C.
bchiang
Lulu

Post by bchiang »

Perhaps we can get something like an Invitational Series Set for our league here in Irvine that wouldn't clash with any NAQT IS set that San Diego tournaments plan on using then.

I have informed our advisor about obtaining the October 27th date for our tournament, which will hopefully use an NAQT set and be staffed enough to allow a house team to play. I will try to get back to you ASAP on that.
Benjamin Chiang
Irvine 2013
Golran
Auron

Post by Golran »

TWAIN will not be happening next year, as UCLA will not really have much of a team. Don't really expect UCLA to go to much either...
Drayer the Slayer
currently unaffiliated
Jason Cheng
Rikku

Post by Jason Cheng »

Arcadia tentatively claims the date for the TWAIN-replacement on Sunday, October 7th.

As for more established LA tournaments, a couple of Arcadia alumni are attempting to revive USC's quiz bowl club, but this probably won't get off the ground until winter of 2012 at least.
Jason Cheng
Arcadia High School 2013
UCSD 2017
cvdwightw
Auron

Post by cvdwightw »

cchiego wrote:
bchiang wrote:I am wondering if geographic exclusivity could be used for that set.
Why would you need that? It would make far more sense to have a local San Diego tournament use that set too considering how few NAQT sets there are available each year.
Three of this year's four NAQT A-sets have been used this year for both the Santa Ana Kiwanis Bowl and the Sweetwater Union League. I'd have to check with NAQT on how this is happening but I would suspect that they wouldn't have a problem with a third non-overlapping league using those sets if no one purchases geographic exclusivity for the whole region. It'll be a little bit on the easy side for Uni and Irvine. The other option is to switch over to HSAPQ VHSL or 8-8-8 (if that ends up happening next year).
Dwight Wynne
socalquizbowl.org

"It's a competition, but it's not a sport. On a scale, if football is a 10, then rowing would be a two. One would be Quiz Bowl." --Matt Birk on rowing, SI On Campus, 10/21/03

"If you were my teammate, I would have tossed your ass out the door so fast you'd be emitting Cerenkov radiation, but I'm not classy like Dwight." --Jerry
Joe Romersa
Rikku

Post by Joe Romersa »

Golran wrote:TWAIN will not be happening next year, as UCLA will not really have much of a team. Don't really expect UCLA to go to much either...
I'd be happy to (try to) scrounge together a tournament next year, but yeah, the UCLA club is kind of dead, and there's really nothing we need to spend money on.

Jason, let me know if you want an extra reader/scorekeeper/stats person/"makes a playoff bracket for you on the day of" person for any Arcadia tournaments. I can come back any weekend np
Alex Wang
Arcadia High '10
UCLA '14 or so
Jason Cheng
Rikku

Post by Jason Cheng »

Because of facility restrictions at Arcadia (apparently, our administration doesn't like us being on campus on Sundays), Arcadia High School can no longer host a tournament on Sunday, October 7. Normally, we would switch the date back to Saturday, October 6, but seeing as it's both a day where Arcadia hosts SAT tests and the day of our school's homecoming, we'd really rather not run a tournament on that date.

Our current solution is to move the Arcadia tournament back a week to Saturday, September 29. Is this possible/plausible or should Arcadia just relinquish its claim to this tournament?
Jason Cheng
Arcadia High School 2013
UCSD 2017
cvdwightw
Auron

Post by cvdwightw »

DJCocoPuffs wrote:Our current solution is to move the Arcadia tournament back a week to Saturday, September 29. Is this possible/plausible or should Arcadia just relinquish its claim to this tournament?
This is plausible given that I think most schools in the area start no later than the week after Labor Day. It might be difficult getting some of those later-starting schools to the tournament, but I think it's doable.
Dwight Wynne
socalquizbowl.org

orenji
Lulu

Post by orenji »

What is the situation on tournaments in December?
b/c CCA would like to host a tournament, and it seems like most of the weeks in early fall are taken.
Oliver Ren
Canyon Crest Academy 2010 - 2014
Torrey Pines 2013 - 2014
MIT 2014 - 2018
cchiego
Yuna

Post by cchiego »

Nobody's claimed the Dec. dates yet; if CC wanted to host, y'all would be more than welcome to then. UCSD has tentatively confirmed for both of our reserved dates.

Arcadia looks like they're going for Sept. 29th and I heard from Dwight that NoHo is gunning for Nov. 17th.

Still waiting to hear back from Del Norte, Madison, and Francis Parker on when/if they want to host in the Fall. And Caltech or Claremont may want to do something too.
Chris C.
orenji
Lulu

Post by orenji »

Then CCA will tentatively claim December 1st.

Merged the two posts about this --Mgmt.
Oliver Ren
Torrey Pines 2013 - 2014
MIT 2014 - 2018
bchiang
Lulu

Post by bchiang »

Irvine High is interested in hosting the Southern California State Championship - where and when can we get more information about that?
Benjamin Chiang
Irvine 2013
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Important Bird Area »

Expect the state championship host call to appear on naqt.com within the next week or so.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
orenji
Lulu

Post by orenji »

since there are only 5? NAQT IS sets throughout the year, do you guys think there will be any housewrites ready early in the year or not? (for the CCA tournament ofc)
Oliver Ren
Torrey Pines 2013 - 2014
MIT 2014 - 2018
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Important Bird Area »

5 is the number of IS sets for 2012-13; and it is very likely that there will be housewrites available by the beginning of December.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
cchiego
Yuna

Post by cchiego »

There will also likely be an HSAPQ set available. Keep an eye on this forum for updates on housewrites. Some leftover from the Spring look to be available as well.
Chris C.
DoWon.Kim
Lulu

Post by DoWon.Kim »

Torrey Pines will reserve Feb. 23rd for the annual housewrite tournament (being written in collaboration with members from Bellarmine and Mission San Jose).

Discussion of this tournament may be found here --Mgmt.
DoWon Dan Kim
Torrey Pines High School '14
NAQT Writer '11 - present
orenji
Lulu

Post by orenji »

actually I think I'm going to move the tourney a week back (to 8th) because my teammates have to take SAT Subject tests and I don't want to run an understaffed tournament.
Oliver Ren
Torrey Pines 2013 - 2014
MIT 2014 - 2018
DoubleAW
Lulu

Post by DoubleAW »

Anything final yet? I'm gonna be down at Caltech next year and I'd be willing to help moderate/staff some things that are nearby!
Eugene Bulkin
Adlai E. Stevenson High School '12
California Institute of Technology '16
Jason Cheng
Rikku

Post by Jason Cheng »

Arcadia is hosting ATLAS on September 29th this year, and we'd love it if you would like to come and help staff for us, since Caltech is so close by. Our tournament announcement (just posted!) is right here.

Contact me at [email protected]!
Jason Cheng
Arcadia High School 2013
UCSD 2017
MahoningQuizBowler
Rikku

Post by MahoningQuizBowler »

I've spoken with the advisor at Whitney, and February 9 is the date we've agreed on for that tournament on our B set. The C Set tournament is scheduled for October 27 at University.
Greg Bossick
Director, Mahoning Quizbowl League (2004-2011, 2013-present)
Director, NAQT Ohio Small School State Championship (2018-present)
Executive Director, Ohio Academic Competition (2013-2016)
Jason Cheng
Rikku

Post by Jason Cheng »

Unfortunately, I think Irvine has already claimed that date (Irvine High Operation Pandemonium) for its own IS-120 tournament. You might want to move the tournament back a couple of weeks to avoid the inevitable field-killing overlap that will result from this scheduling conflict.

Here's Arcadia's attempt to create an overall schedule of next year's events based on everything we've heard from this forum, the SoCal Quizbowl website and mailing group, and the SoCal QB Facebook group for reference.

EDIT: Fixed the link, because the URL was changed sometime in between three days ago and now by someone from Arcadia for whatever reason
Jason Cheng
Arcadia High School 2013
UCSD 2017
MahoningQuizBowler
Rikku

Post by MahoningQuizBowler »

We've changed the University C Set event to 12/15. Thanks!
Greg Bossick
Director, Mahoning Quizbowl League (2004-2011, 2013-present)
Director, NAQT Ohio Small School State Championship (2018-present)
Executive Director, Ohio Academic Competition (2013-2016)
Jason Cheng
Rikku

Post by Jason Cheng »

Here's an updated tournament schedule for this area. Besides the NHBB C-Set Regionals hosted by University High School, there are no more quiz bowl tournaments in Southern California until January of next year.

Dan, Ben, and I will be posting a SoCal team fall rankings and wrap-up discussion soon at http://www.socalquizbowl.org/ using the SoCal team polls and stats from the tournaments that teams have played at so far.
Jason Cheng
Arcadia High School 2013
UCSD 2017
bchiang
Lulu

Post by bchiang »

Irvine will be hosting the Southern California State Championship. More details to come.
Benjamin Chiang
Irvine 2013
Jason Cheng
Rikku

Post by Jason Cheng »

Hold on, does anyone know if Baby Anteater is actually happening this year?

Also, Arcadia is tentatively moving Carnal Embrace to March 23rd to encourage attendance, since Feb. 16th is the last day of a long, 8-week series of back-to-back scheduled tournaments and it apparently conflicts with some kind of important math competition.
Jason Cheng
Arcadia High School 2013
UCSD 2017