2013 NAQT HSNCT: Congratulations LASA!

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
setht
Auron

Re: 2013 NAQT HSNCT: Congratulations LASA!

Post by setht »

I also want to thank all the people who worked on the set--the 101 people who wrote questions in the set, the 23 people who subject edited questions in the set, and the people who worked on set editing: Selene Koo for playtesting some questions, R. Hentzel's playtesters for playtesting some packets, R. Hentzel for helping with set editing in general, Matt Bruce for looking over the computation questions and checking for repeats/feng shui issues, Joel Gluskin for looking over current events/sports/pop culture/general knowledge (and possibly more that I'm forgetting), Fred Morlan for checking for repeats/feng shui issues and giving feedback on a number of questions in several categories, Andrew Hart for working on easing up and regularizing bonus difficulty, and Kyle Haddad-Fonda, Larissa Kelly, Jeff Hoppes, and Jonah Greenthal for set editing varying numbers of packets.

I hope I didn't forget anyone—my apologies if I did.

-Seth
Seth Teitler
Formerly UC Berkeley and U. Chicago
President of NAQT
Emeritus member of ACF
etchdulac
Rikku

Post by etchdulac »

Does anyone know if 440 is the highest losing score in any HSNCT match ever held? I doubt there's a simple way to confirm this statistic, but I'd be interested in hearing if there is.
Stephen Fontenot
Texas Quiz Bowl Alliance Deputy Director
Communications, UT Dallas
Strake Jesuit '96 -+-+- Southwestern '00
MorganV
Mafiarator

Post by MorganV »

jagluski wrote:
intheshadowofgreatness wrote:I would very much like to watch the final, but I cannot yet find it on iHigh. When should I expect to be able to watch it?
iHigh was not at the tournament.
Open call: Any rogue recordings taken from this tournament? (I am obviously personally most interested in Loyola's games against Bellarmine/Blair/LASA/Ladue, but obviously any other videos, especially of the finals, would be nice to have for posterity.)
Morgan Venkus
Cassian
Lulu

Post by Cassian »

I would like to echo Morgan's calls for any recordings of the final match. Feel free to contact me via email if you have any audio or video recording and can't post a link to it on the forums.

I wanted to thank R. and everyone at NAQT for a great tournament, and to all the wonderful moderators and staffers. I'd like to give particular thanks to the very nice people at the info desk on the ballroom level. Sunday was pretty hectic for me, and they helped me find my teams and gave me directions when I needed them.

Congratulations to Ladue for their great run this weekend and for an intense final match. Also, congratulations to Loyola and to our fellow Texas teams from St. Johns and Cistercian. Hopefully we'll see you guys again this weekend in College Park.

Lastly, I would like to thank Chris Romero and Patty Hill. Chris has worked tirelessly to build the Texas circuit and to host well-run, quality quiz bowl tournaments for the better part of 15 years, and LASA's successes would never have been possible without Chris and TQBA. Patty has developed a strong and incredibly successful quiz bowl family at Kealing Middle School in the last few years, and many Kealing QB alums featured prominently on LASA teams at HSNCT this weekend.
Jason Flowers
Quiz Bowl Coach
The Liberal Arts and Science Academy
Austin, TX
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Important Bird Area »

There is currently one known error in the HSNCT stats display: the round 10 game between Thomas Jefferson A and Dorman B returns a server error (because the teams were credited with 25 tossups answered in a 24-tossup game). We will fix this as soon as the original scoresheets arrive in the mail from Atlanta; our apologies for the delay.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
Remember-the-Alamo-Remember-Goliad
Wakka

Post by Remember-the-Alamo-Remember-Goliad »

LASA certainly showed a unique level of play and finesse at NAQT Nationals, esp. with the Moderator miscue at the end! Cistercian loved the last match and the overall finishes of all of the great teams from Texas. Of course, here in Irving our 5th place finish was just wonderful, and our supporters were just over the moon! LASA and St. John's did a great job -- and we salute our friends across town at St. Mark's: they have been wonderful friends and competitors for so many years!

Yes, we will be at PACE -- I have NO predictions on how we'll do -- it's a very different format and we don't play it except for once a year. But, I know we'll have fun!

To all of our donors, benefactors, and supporters; THANK YOU!

FATHER GREGORY SCHWEERS, O.CIST.
Cassian wrote:I would like to echo Morgan's calls for any recordings of the final match. Feel free to contact me via email if you have any audio or video recording and can't post a link to it on the forums.

I wanted to thank R. and everyone at NAQT for a great tournament, and to all the wonderful moderators and staffers. I'd like to give particular thanks to the very nice people at the info desk on the ballroom level. Sunday was pretty hectic for me, and they helped me find my teams and gave me directions when I needed them.

Congratulations to Ladue for their great run this weekend and for an intense final match. Also, congratulations to Loyola and to our fellow Texas teams from St. Johns and Cistercian. Hopefully we'll see you guys again this weekend in College Park.

Lastly, I would like to thank Chris Romero and Patty Hill. Chris has worked tirelessly to build the Texas circuit and to host well-run, quality quiz bowl tournaments for the better part of 15 years, and LASA's successes would never have been possible without Chris and TQBA. Patty has developed a strong and incredibly successful quiz bowl family at Kealing Middle School in the last few years, and many Kealing QB alums featured prominently on LASA teams at HSNCT this weekend.
Gregory Schweers
County of Dallas
City of Irving
Cistercian Preparatory School Team
The only Monk on this whole board
Important Bird Area

bt_green_warbler wrote:There is currently one known error in the HSNCT stats display: the round 10 game between Thomas Jefferson A and Dorman B returns a server error (because the teams were credited with 25 tossups answered in a 24-tossup game). We will fix this as soon as the original scoresheets arrive in the mail from Atlanta; our apologies for the delay.
This has now been fixed; thanks for your patience.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
Important Bird Area

AlexLiu wrote:Who were the Freshman/Sophomore All-Stars?
These have now been posted (along with the rest of the HSNCT writeup). Our apologies for the delay.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

pajaro bobo
Wakka

Post by pajaro bobo »

bt_green_warbler wrote:
AlexLiu wrote:Who were the Freshman/Sophomore All-Stars?
These have now been posted (along with the rest of the HSNCT writeup). Our apologies for the delay.
Thanks a bunch!
Alex Liu
Georgia Tech '1X
Chattahoochee '13
Olivia7337
Kimahri

Post by Olivia7337 »

Can anyone post the History and Literature questions from the 1st few rounds Please. I would also like to know if anyone knows of any video of the games from the tourney. thx

User was reminded to enable a signature. --Mgmt.