Trevor's Trivia at UT-Chattanooga (was 10/6, moved to 11/17)

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Your Genial Quizmaster
Rikku

Trevor's Trivia at UT-Chattanooga (was 10/6, moved to 11/17)

Post by Your Genial Quizmaster »

UT-Chattanooga is tentatively scheduling our fall high school tournament, the 15th annual Trevor's Trivia: Bob Selcer Memorial High School Quizbowl, for Saturday, October 6, 2012. We welcome any input on potential conflicts, suggested alternate dates, etc. Thanks.
Last edited by Your Genial Quizmaster on Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
-- Charlie Steinhice
Coach, UTC Academic Trivia Association
University of Tennessee at Chattanooga
utcquizbowl [at] gmail [dot] com

"Come, come! Why, they couldn't hit an elephant at this dist..."
-- Gen. John Sedgwick, 1864 (technically not his very last words, but close enough)
49-Mile Scenic Drive
Rikku

Re: Trevor's Trivia at UT-Chattanooga: proposed date 10/6/12

Post by 49-Mile Scenic Drive »

Assuming no other conflicts I'd love to help read if you'll have me. May be able to bring a couple other UAH people too. Chattanooga, after all, is my favorite city to visit!
Mark Morris
University of Alabama-Huntsville '13
Auburn Pharmacy '19
Chimalpahin Quauhtlehuanitzin
Wakka

Post by Chimalpahin Quauhtlehuanitzin »

Dear Charlie,

The SAT happens to be October 6th.
Could you please reschedule for any other Saturday?

Thank you.
Rohan Nag
Vanderbilt '17 | MLK '13
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
Wakka

Understood.
Rohan Nag
Vanderbilt '17 | MLK '13
SHM
Lulu

Post by SHM »

Is the date certain? I have been trying to contact Charlie Steinhice for several weeks but not gotten a reply. Paperwork must be completed ASAP for our school to attend. Thanks!
Susan, Dunbar
Your Genial Quizmaster
Rikku

Trevor's Trivia at UT-Chattanooga: seeking open date in Nove

UTC's quizbowl team is in full rebuilding mode and has not yet held their first meeting for the fall. Without knowing the number of volunteers we can commit to, we're punting on Oct. 6 as a date for the fall tournament. Teams in TN/GA/AL, please let us know which dates in November are open. We are still hoping to get this on the books for the fall if possible.

Thanks.
-- Charlie Steinhice

-- Gen. John Sedgwick, 1864 (technically not his very last words, but close enough)
CSQuizJags
Tidus

Post by CSQuizJags »

FWIW here are the events in GA during November:

3- ANGST at North GA
10- GATA Fall at Collins Hill
17- Brookwood
24- Thanksgiving
Cedar Shoals HS Academic Team:
2011, 2012, and 2013 Classic City Academic Team Champions
2014 Region 8-AAAAA Varsity and JV Champions
2013 GATA Class AAAAA JV State Champions
2014 WSB-TV HighQ Tournament Champions
Arthur Banks, Advisor
Delacroix
Kimahri

Post by Delacroix »

Just a few TN events as well- (they coincide with the Georgia ones, so it's not crucial information)

Nov. 3rd: ABC @ Vandy
Nov. 10th: Webb School
Lawrence Wang, King of Mormons

Farragut High School
Wakka

Also, the WKU Hilltopper is Nov. 17th, so that may take out a few other TN teams.
Rohan Nag
Vanderbilt '17 | MLK '13
Your Genial Quizmaster
Rikku

Trevor's Trivia at UT-Chattanooga: 11/17/2012

It looks like there is not a great date for our postponed fall tournament, and Nov. 17 is the only viable option. As soon as we confirm availability of rooms, we will post a full announcement with fees, etc. We will be using HSAPQ Tournament Set #32.

On a more positive note, after a slow start, the reorganized UTC team has bounced back from a slow start and added new members with high school QB experience. We have also added an assistant coach, Jacob Vannucci, whom many of you may remember as an outstanding player and experienced moderator during his time at UTC. Please join me in welcoming him to the coaching ranks.

We apologize to Brookwood, WKU, and any other schools who have already scheduled events for this same date. Barring unforeseen circumstances, in 2013 we will move the tournament back to its traditional date around Oct. 1. Thanks for your patience.
-- Charlie Steinhice

Your Genial Quizmaster
Rikku

Trevor's Trivia at UT-Chattanooga 11/17/2012

As promised, the UTC Academic Trivia Association will host its 15th annual Trevor’s Trivia: Bob Selcer Memorial High School Quizbowl on Saturday, Nov. 17, 2012. The question set will be HSAPQ Tournament Set 32.

The field is open to high school and middle school teams, with up to 4 members per team (not counting alternates – see below.) We are tentatively capping the field at 32 teams. Division I (varsity) is open to teams with players from all grades. Division II (JV) is open to teams where all players are in grades 6-10. To ensure that you have space reserved, we recommend that you e-mail [email protected], or call or text me at (423) 504-8255, at your earliest convenience with the number of teams your school expects to bring. Once the field is officially full, we will start a waiting list.

Also, if you plan to bring more than two teams from the same school, you are strongly encouraged to provide at least one experienced full-time official. This will allow us to expand the field to accommodate the extra teams while still allowing room for more schools.

FORMAT: This will be an untimed tournament with 20 tossups and bonuses per round, with no bounceback on bonuses. he field will be split into brackets for a round robin, followed by playoffs for each division. During playoffs, non-playoff teams will have the option of playing consolation rounds.

ELIGIBILITY: Students in grades 6-12 are eligible. Those in grades 11-12 are eligible to play in Division I (varsity) only. Students in grades 6-10 are eligible to play in either Division I or Division II, although we strongly recommend that players in grades 6-8 play for Division II teams only. Separate trophies will be awarded for teams in Division II (teams composed entirely of players in grades 6 -10.)

SCHEDULE: Registration begins at 9 AM EDT on Sat. 11/17/2012, with announcements at 9:45 and play starting at 10. While we won’t have a precise schedule until we verify the field size, we expect to finish the round robin by 6 PM, followed by an exhibition “trash” round (see below), an awards ceremony for individual honors, and playoffs. We hope playoffs will be over by 8 PM.

LOCATION: Tournament HQ will be the newly-renovated 129 Grote Hall on the UTC campus (see directions and link to map below), with matches in Grote, Holt, and possibly Brock Halls. Because we may be splitting the tournament between two non-adjacent buildings, each with a slow elevator, please let me know if any of your team members have disabilities and we will do our best to keep their matches in one building.

JUST FOR FUN: It’s become an annual tradition! While we finish the stats and standings at the end of the round robin, we’ll have an unofficial round of “trash” (pure pop culture), tossups only. This has become one of the most popular parts of UTC’s high school quizbowls. Anyone who can reach a buzzer can play in the trash round – alternates, coaches, parents, even the bus driver. Also, during the awards ceremony, we’ll give recognition for the cleverest T-shirts seen at the tournament (as long as someone reminds me.)

FEES AND PAPERWORK: Tournament fees are as follows --
• Base fee: $80 per team (4 players can play at a time with up to 4 alternates; substitutions are allowed, but between rounds only.)
• $5 discount for each working lockout buzzer system, up to two systems per team (whether we use them or not.)

Pre-registration and prepayment are not required, as long as we know in advance how many teams you’ll bring, and for which division(s). Rosters may be changed at any time before the tournament starts -- but once it does, a player may not switch from team to team.

ACCOMMODATIONS: With changes on the downtown hotel scene, we don’t currently have any standing room discounts. If you are planning an overnight stay and would like some help, please contact us at [email protected] and we’ll see what we can arrange.

If you need more information, I can be reached on my cell phone (423-504-8255), at my office (423-535-7147), or by e-mail at [email protected] . We hope to see you on November 17!
--- Charlie Steinhice, UTC A.T.A. Coach

Directions to Grote Hall: Come towards downtown Chattanooga on I-24. Take the freeway splitoff labeled US 27 North – Downtown Chattanooga. Follow US 27 North to Exit 1A, 4th St. (Don’t worry about which way to turn on 4th St. – it only goes one way.) Follow 4th St. about ½ mile till you see the Mackenzie Arena (the “Roundhouse”) on your right. Shortly after you see the Arena on your right, 4th St. will merge with 3rd St. After they merge, watch for the second right (Palmetto St.) Turn right on Palmetto. Go 2 blocks on Palmetto, then turn right on Vine St. You will see barriers ahead where Vine St. is closed to auto traffic. The last parking lot on the right, just before those barriers, is the parking lot for Grote Hall. Tournament HQ is Grote 129. Enter at the door by the glamorous dumpster.

Here’s a link to GoogleMaps. Use with caution – note that Vine St. is closed to vehicles between Douglas St. and the Lupton Library.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&g ... 21307&z=16
-- Charlie Steinhice

AKKOLADE
Sin

Re: Trevor's Trivia at UT-Chattanooga (was 10/6, moved to 11/17)

Post by AKKOLADE »

How's the field looking for this?
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
Your Genial Quizmaster
Rikku

Here's the field as I have it so far, with 16 teams (10 varsity, 5 JV, one unknown level). Teams are from TN unless otherwise noted:

Gallatin 1 ( 1 JV)
Cookeville 2 (1 varsity, 1 JV)
Daniel Boone 2 (2 varsity)
Central (Murfreesboro) 2 (1 varsity, 1 JV)
Central (Knoxville) 1 (division unknown)
Lincoln County 1 (1 varsity)
Ooltewah 1 (1 varsity)
East Paulding [GA] 1 (1 varsity)
Heritage [GA] 3 (1 varsity, 2 JV)
Murray County [GA] 2 (2 varsity)

Please send any additions or corrections to [email protected]. Thanks.
-- Charlie Steinhice

AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

How'd this go?
Fred Morlan
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
Wakka

Stats please?
Rohan Nag
Vanderbilt '17 | MLK '13
Wakka

Farragut went undefeated to claim first place, 10-0, winning against Hume-Fogg in the final. (Correct me on # of rounds if I'm wrong, but I think there were ten).
Hume Fogg and MLK (us) ended with 8-2, ranking 2nd and 3rd, respectively.
Lincoln County took 4th (probably 7-3 or 6-4, wasn't there to ask them).
I won MVP, Lawrence Wang (Farragut) took 2nd individual, and I forgot the rest.
Rohan Nag
Vanderbilt '17 | MLK '13
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Can I get a stats disk pr0xy post in here?
Fred Morlan
Your Genial Quizmaster
Rikku

Stats for the prelims are now posted in the database.

Playoff scores:

Division II (JV)

3rd place: Gallatin (advantage) 135, Lincoln Co. C 70
1st place: Hume Fogg B 160, Farragut B (advantage) 145; tiebreaker -- Farragut B 100, Hume Fogg B 60

Division I (Varsity)
Semifinal #1: Farragut A (advantage) 380, Lincoln Co. A 80
Semifinal #2: MLK Magnet 460, Hume-Fogg A (advantage) 225; tiebreaker -- Hume-Fogg A 370, MLK Magnet 190
3rd place: MLK Magnet 475, Lincoln Co. A 95
Finals: Farragut A (advantage) 355, Hume-Fogg A 300
-- Charlie Steinhice