DC/DE/MD/VA Date Claim '12-'13

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Pushkin's Beard
Lulu

Re: DC/DE/MD/VA Date Claim '12-'13

Post by Pushkin's Beard »

Pushkin's Beard wrote:GDS would like to claim April 6th for our annual Ben Cooper Memorial Tournament.
Actually we are gonna do April 27th. For our tournament on January 19th we are going to use IMSANITY 3 and for the tournament on April 27th we are gonna use Harvard Fall Tournament.
Noah Cowan
Georgetown Day School '15
tribble
Lulu

Post by tribble »

Unfortunately, TJ can no longer host on March 2 due to the fact that our MUN club is hosting a conference on the same day. Instead, we'd like to claim March 9.
Sarah
TJHSST '13
tgaddy
Lulu

Post by tgaddy »

Pushkin's Beard wrote:
Pushkin's Beard wrote:GDS would like to claim April 6th for our annual Ben Cooper Memorial Tournament.
Actually we are gonna do April 27th. For our tournament on January 19th we are going to use IMSANITY 3 and for the tournament on April 27th we are gonna use Harvard Fall Tournament.
I don't know if you guys already took this into account, but April 27th is the tape day for all of the It's Academic Semifinal matches. I get that there might not be another choice, but it seems like that day might affect the most number of teams. Just something to consider.
Thomas Gaddy
Montgomery Blair High School '13
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

To add to the potential conflict with the April 27th date, I sent a PM to Noah earlier today advising him that the 27th was also in the middle of the NHBB's National Bowl & Bee tournaments in the DC & Alexandria areas that wekend. I suggested a move to early May with the idea that the HFT Set they intended to use on the 27th could be an excellent preparation for both National Tournaments at the end of the year. Of course GDS has to schedule the event in a way that is best for GDS. But one can hope!
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
Pushkin's Beard
Lulu

Edward Powers wrote:To add to the potential conflict with the April 27th date, I sent a PM to Noah earlier today advising him that the 27th was also in the middle of the NHBB's National Bowl & Bee tournaments in the DC & Alexandria areas that wekend. I suggested a move to early May with the idea that the HFT Set they intended to use on the 27th could be an excellent preparation for both National Tournaments at the end of the year. Of course GDS has to schedule the event in a way that is best for GDS. But one can hope!
GDS can schedule the tournament for any day so we are open to changing it. I scheduled the tournament on that day because it didn't look like there was an opening in May, it was (according to our date claim) after NHBB, and it was before the two real Nationals tournaments. I am willing to change the date to May 11th or any other date that would enable us to get the largest number of teams for the tournament.
Noah Cowan
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

May 11th sounds great. But if it turns out that a different Saturday in May is better for an optimal turnout for GDS, that would be fine with us as we'll. Thanks for your flexibility.
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
Beevor Feevor
Rikku

Post by Beevor Feevor »

This isn't a specific school's problem, but doesn't February 23rd for VHSL States conflict with All-Virginia Band and Orchestra auditions?
Eric Xu
Western Albemarle '15
Virginia '19
Harvard '23
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

Post by Blackboard Monitor Vimes »

Einhard wrote:This isn't a specific school's problem, but doesn't February 23rd for VHSL States conflict with All-Virginia Band and Orchestra auditions?
From what I understand (thanks to discussion some time ago about trying to change the site, as VHSL rules have a clause about state tournaments for all activities rotating between regions), the date and location for Scholastic Bowl States is set in stone something like 2 years in advance. It's unfortunate if people are interested in both, but they only reschedule for things like really bad snow resulting in school closures.
Sam L,
Maggie L. Walker Governor's School 2010 / UVA 2014 / VCU School of Education 2016
PACE
Beevor Feevor
Rikku

Post by Beevor Feevor »

The Laughing Cavalier wrote:
Einhard wrote:This isn't a specific school's problem, but doesn't February 23rd for VHSL States conflict with All-Virginia Band and Orchestra auditions?
From what I understand (thanks to discussion some time ago about trying to change the site, as VHSL rules have a clause about state tournaments for all activities rotating between regions), the date and location for Scholastic Bowl States is set in stone something like 2 years in advance. It's unfortunate if people are interested in both, but they only reschedule for things like really bad snow resulting in school closures.
That's unfortunate I guess, but I can understand why that's the case. Ah well, time to do some manic rescheduling and shuffling then. (assuming my school even gets to states).
Eric Xu
Western Albemarle '15
Virginia '19
Harvard '23
Off To See The Lizard
Wakka

Post by Off To See The Lizard »

Pushkin's Beard wrote:
Edward Powers wrote:To add to the potential conflict with the April 27th date, I sent a PM to Noah earlier today advising him that the 27th was also in the middle of the NHBB's National Bowl & Bee tournaments in the DC & Alexandria areas that wekend. I suggested a move to early May with the idea that the HFT Set they intended to use on the 27th could be an excellent preparation for both National Tournaments at the end of the year. Of course GDS has to schedule the event in a way that is best for GDS. But one can hope!
GDS can schedule the tournament for any day so we are open to changing it. I scheduled the tournament on that day because it didn't look like there was an opening in May, it was (according to our date claim) after NHBB, and it was before the two real Nationals tournaments. I am willing to change the date to May 11th or any other date that would enable us to get the largest number of teams for the tournament.

Since NHBB seems to be on April 27th and not on the weekend of April 20th, would it be feasible to hold this tournament on that Saturday? I really want to play this tournament and I know that i would be more likely to play it if it weren't scheduled right in the middle of AP Exams.
Sameen Belal
Walter Johnson '14
New York University '18
The Goffman Prophecies
Quizbowl Detective Extraordinaire

Post by The Goffman Prophecies »

Virginia Tech would like to claim April 13 for a tournament TBA.

EDIT: Forgot Feb 9 is SCT day.
Dan Goff
HSQB sysadmin

Virginia Tech '13
South Carolina '15
and a couple other places
Not Thomas Dale HS

STAAATS
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

Are you hosting a tournament instead of going to SCT?
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
The Goffman Prophecies

Matt Weiner wrote:Are you hosting a tournament instead of going to SCT?
I knew I was forgetting something when I was looking at the calendar. No, going to SCT is our priority.
Dan Goff
HSQB sysadmin

Virginia Tech '13
South Carolina '15
Not Thomas Dale HS

STAAATS
MahoningQuizBowler
Rikku

Post by MahoningQuizBowler »

NHBB Delaware is confirmed for Delmarva Christian School on February 23, 2013.
Greg Bossick
Director, Mahoning Quizbowl League (2004-2011, 2013-present)
Director, NAQT Ohio Small School State Championship (2018-present)
Executive Director, Ohio Academic Competition (2013-2016)
jonathanmarx
Wakka

Post by jonathanmarx »

Is anyone in the DC/MD/DE area planning on hosting anything in February?

RM, TJ, and GDS have It's Academic tapings on the 2nd, but the next three weekends constitute a surprisingly large gap in an otherwise very full schedule (although I guess there's VHSL stuff a couple of those weekends).

Also, I noticed that no one from MD/DC submitted an initial bid to host state championships... RM is definitely interested, but I can't figure out how the bidding process works. Someone want to enlighten me? Thanks!
Jonathan Marx
Richard Montgomery '13
Yale '17
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Important Bird Area »

The initial bid period is now closed, but potential hosts in states with no bids are encouraged to email us expressing interest (RM has already done this). We expect to announce the first batch of state championships by early December.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
Frater Taciturnus
Auron

Post by Frater Taciturnus »

VCU would like to tentatively claim April 20th for the annual VCU Season Finale Tournament on the Yale BHSAT tournament set.
Last edited by Frater Taciturnus on Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Janet Berry
[email protected]
she/they
--------------
J. Sargeant Reynolds CC 2008, 2009, 2014
Virginia Commonwealth 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013,
Douglas Freeman 2005, 2006, 2007
The Goffman Prophecies

I've tried to make updates to the original post based on the last few posts in the thread. If there's anything I missed (I didn't bother updating anything in the past), let me know.
Dan Goff
HSQB sysadmin

Virginia Tech '13
South Carolina '15
Not Thomas Dale HS

STAAATS
mithokie
Rikku

Post by mithokie »

Info that could also be added to the schedule in the first post:

Blacksburg High Academic Invitational is using HSAPQ set #33 on 1/12. I believe New Kent is using the same set on 1/12, and TJ is using HSAPQ set #32 on 12/15.
Matt Beeken
Eastern Montgomery High School
Math Instructional Coach
Scholastic Bowl Coach (2022 - ??)
mbeeken AT mcps DOT org
The Stately Rhododendron
Rikku

Post by The Stately Rhododendron »

Oakland Mills would like to claim march 16th for a tournament on a TBA set. I know VCU has this date reserved, but given the vast distance between Richmond and Columbia, I dont think there will be that much of an overlap.
IKD
Yale 18
Oakland Mills 14
"I am the NAQT beast I worship."
jonathanmarx
Wakka

Post by jonathanmarx »

Lord Hatefun Complainington wrote:Oakland Mills would like to claim march 16th for a tournament on a TBA set. I know VCU has this date reserved, but given the vast distance between Richmond and Columbia, I dont think there will be that much of an overlap.
I understand if you can't work a different date logistically, but I'd encourage you to rethink this decision otherwise. There are a lot of DC/Maryland teams that frequently travel to Richmond for tournaments as well as a number of Virginia teams who could conceivably make the trip up to OM, and we're really looking forward to hearing the LIST set at VCU. If it's a possibility, I'd recommend one of the open February, April or May dates instead? That's just a personal opinion, but I'd hate to have to skip either VCU or OM because of scheduling overlap in an area with a fair number of open weekends.
Jonathan Marx
Richard Montgomery '13
Yale '17
Pushkin's Beard
Lulu

jonathanmarx wrote:
Lord Hatefun Complainington wrote:Oakland Mills would like to claim march 16th for a tournament on a TBA set. I know VCU has this date reserved, but given the vast distance between Richmond and Columbia, I dont think there will be that much of an overlap.
I understand if you can't work a different date logistically, but I'd encourage you to rethink this decision otherwise. There are a lot of DC/Maryland teams that frequently travel to Richmond for tournaments as well as a number of Virginia teams who could conceivably make the trip up to OM, and we're really looking forward to hearing the LIST set at VCU. If it's a possibility, I'd recommend one of the open February, April or May dates instead? That's just a personal opinion, but I'd hate to have to skip either VCU or OM because of scheduling overlap in an area with a fair number of open weekends.
I completely agree with Jonathan here. GDS and many other DC/Maryland teams go down to Richmond multiple times a year to go to tournaments like VCU and GSAC. It would be great if you guys could change the date of your tournament if that is possible.
Noah Cowan
Cody
2008-09 Male Athlete of the Year

Post by Cody »

VCU Season Finale (our April 20 tournament) will be run on BHSAT.
Cody Voight, VCU ’14.
The Stately Rhododendron
Rikku

jonathanmarx wrote:
We're gonna try and find a better date.
IKD
Yale 18
Oakland Mills 14
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

Post by Adventure Temple Trail »

A word from an outsider/DC-area alumnus: In the strongest possible terms, I encourage all future tournament hosts within this area to obtain and actually use the contact information for all the teams that attended Centennial this Sunday. Establishing working contact with these teams will be key to revitalizing and expanding tournaments in the area in the short term.
Matt Jackson
University of Chicago '24
Yale '14, Georgetown Day School '10
member emeritus, ACF
Great Bustard
Auron

Post by Great Bustard »

Since Feb. 2 and March 2 appear to be open, NHBB would like to take both of those dates for our B Set and A Set tournaments respectively. St. Anselm's has expressed interest in hosting for us again, so we will be in touch with them to see if either of those dates might work, particularly the March date. Sorting both of these tournaments is one of our top priorities for now. Conceivably, we might look at the Sundays on those weekends as well, if Saturdays are less than ideal for potential hosts.
David Madden
Ridgewood (NJ) '99, Princeton '03
Founder and Director: International History Bee and Bowl, National History Bee and Bowl (High School Division), International History Olympiad, United States Geography Olympiad, US History Bee, US Academic Bee and Bowl, National Humanities Bee, National Science Bee, International Academic Bowl.
Adviser and former head coach for Team USA at the International Geography Olympiad
Great Bustard
Auron

Post by Great Bustard »

Quick update re NHBB:
St. Anselm's (our A set host for the past two years) is available to host on Feb. 16, which actually looks like it should be fine, since there's nothing posted for that day other than Roanoke, which won't conflict. The Feb. 2 or March 2 dates didn't work for them, so we'll go with Feb. 16. I am inclined to run that on A set, and then look to have B set run on March 30 (Easter Saturday) as our final regional tournament of the year, which will be a last chance for anyone to qualify for Nationals. Going with Feb. 16 and March 30 as opposed to Feb and March 2 also works better re opportunities for new area readers prior to Nationals. For anyone who cares, Nolwenn and I just found a great apartment yesterday in Adams-Morgan, so we'll be DC residents by Jan. 1 at the latest. The location allows for great networking and we'll have 41+ buzzer systems in our apartment to train readers / play qb with.
David Madden
Founder and Director: International History Bee and Bowl, National History Bee and Bowl (High School Division), International History Olympiad, United States Geography Olympiad, US History Bee, US Academic Bee and Bowl, National Humanities Bee, National Science Bee, International Academic Bowl.
Adviser and former head coach for Team USA at the International Geography Olympiad
Beevor Feevor
Rikku

Post by Beevor Feevor »

Quick question about NHBB in Virginia this year, is the final regional competition going to be at Monticello High School like it was last year or has that not been determined yet?
Eric Xu
Western Albemarle '15
Virginia '19
Harvard '23
yellow7206
Wakka

Post by yellow7206 »

Longfellow Middle School would like to claim 2/23 for LATTE, a housewrite for middle school/junior high (6th, 7th, 8th grades). Details coming soon.
Eugene Huang, King of 109
Coach, Longfellow MS
Langley HS, 1989
Longfellow MS, 1985
Spring Hill Elem. 1983
Great Bustard
Auron

Post by Great Bustard »

Einhard wrote:Quick question about NHBB in Virginia this year, is the final regional competition going to be at Monticello High School like it was last year or has that not been determined yet?
http://www.historybowl.com/bowlsites/ wrote:Virginia - State Championships March 09, 2013, Monticello High School, Charlottesville, VA
This is on A set, as is our tournament slated for St. Anselm's in DC on 2/16; B set will be on offer at New Kent on Feb. 9 and likely somewhere in the greater DC area on March 30. As of now, it's doubtful there will be any more tournaments added in the mid-Atlantic, unless someone comes begging me looking to run C set somewhere in Central Virginia. If you want to be that person, let me know.
David Madden
The Goffman Prophecies

Virginia Tech's April 13 tournament is going to be using the Prison Bowl set..
Dan Goff
HSQB sysadmin

Virginia Tech '13
South Carolina '15
Not Thomas Dale HS

STAAATS
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

Post by Blackboard Monitor Vimes »

I've just received confirmation that our March 23 tournament will indeed be NAQT States. I'll get a full announcement up in a week when I'm done with finals.
Sam L,
Maggie L. Walker Governor's School 2010 / UVA 2014 / VCU School of Education 2016
PACE
The Stately Rhododendron
Rikku

Lord Hatefun Complainington wrote:We're gonna try and find a better date.
OM's tournament has been moved to March 30th. We'll be mirroring BDAT.
IKD
Yale 18
Oakland Mills 14
jonathanmarx
Wakka

Post by jonathanmarx »

The Laughing Cavalier wrote:I've just received confirmation that our March 23 tournament will indeed be NAQT States. I'll get a full announcement up in a week when I'm done with finals.
Considering this, I think we'd like to host DC/MD states (which might conceivably also include DE if no one steps up to host that) on the same date, 3/23. However, Blue Hen is on that date - would it be possible for the UD people to move Blue Hen a week back to the 16th, where it would have little (if any) overlap with VCU Spring?

If not, we'll try to find another day to host states - but the schedule's getting awfully tight in the spring.
Jonathan Marx
Richard Montgomery '13
Yale '17
dollmi
Lulu

Post by dollmi »

jonathanmarx wrote: However, Blue Hen is on that date - would it be possible for the UD people to move Blue Hen a week back to the 16th, where it would have little (if any) overlap with VCU Spring?
The 16th is the History Bowl in PA. I don't know how many other PA teams will attend Blue Hen, but this would create a conflict for us.
Missy Doll-Osterhout
Coach, Manheim Township High School
mithokie
Rikku

Post by mithokie »

Is VCU writing their own set for VCU Spring, or will this be a mirrored set? I am trying to finalize my winter and spring schedules, and I don't want to schedule myself into a question set conflict inadvertently.

Thanks,
Matt Beeken
Eastern Montgomery High School
Math Instructional Coach
Scholastic Bowl Coach (2022 - ??)
mbeeken AT mcps DOT org
Pushkin's Beard
Lulu

mithokie wrote:Is VCU writing their own set for VCU Spring, or will this be a mirrored set? I am trying to finalize my winter and spring schedules, and I don't want to schedule myself into a question set conflict inadvertently.

Thanks,
I believe that they are mirroring LIST.
Noah Cowan
Cody
2008-09 Male Athlete of the Year

Post by Cody »

We are mirroring LIST. I'm not sure why we hadn't said that earlier.
Cody Voight, VCU ’14.
Lawrence Simon
Lulu

Post by Lawrence Simon »

When do sign-ups start for GDS' LOCKOUT tournament?
Lawrence Simon
Quince Orchard Class of '15
University of Virginia Class of '19
Pushkin's Beard
Lulu

Lawrence Simon wrote:When do sign-ups start for GDS' LOCKOUT tournament?
Sorry, our school just got off for break and the head of our school and the principle are both unresponsive (we just need to confirm everything completely). We are trying to get everything in order before we post the announcement but after we get full clearance we will post an announcement and send an email with all the information about the tournament and how to register.

EDIT: Due to the new (easier) difficulty of HFT we will be using HFT for LOCKOUT and IMSANITY 3 for our Ben Cooper Memorial Tournament (we are talking to our administration to find the best date for that tournament).
Noah Cowan
The Stately Rhododendron
Rikku

jonathanmarx wrote:
The Laughing Cavalier wrote:I've just received confirmation that our March 23 tournament will indeed be NAQT States. I'll get a full announcement up in a week when I'm done with finals.
Considering this, I think we'd like to host DC/MD states (which might conceivably also include DE if no one steps up to host that) on the same date, 3/23. However, Blue Hen is on that date - would it be possible for the UD people to move Blue Hen a week back to the 16th, where it would have little (if any) overlap with VCU Spring?

If not, we'll try to find another day to host states - but the schedule's getting awfully tight in the spring.
Is the plan to hold NASAT tryouts at states?
IKD
Yale 18
Oakland Mills 14
Pushkin's Beard
Lulu

Pushkin's Beard wrote:
Lawrence Simon wrote:When do sign-ups start for GDS' LOCKOUT tournament?
Sorry, our school just got off for break and the head of our school and the principle are both unresponsive (we just need to confirm everything completely). We are trying to get everything in order before we post the announcement but after we get full clearance we will post an announcement and send an email with all the information about the tournament and how to register.

EDIT: Due to the new (easier) difficulty of HFT we will be using HFT for LOCKOUT and IMSANITY 3 for our Ben Cooper Memorial Tournament (we are talking to our administration to find the best date for that tournament).
So our school said no to the 19th so LOCKOUT will now be held on January 26th on HFT. The announcement can be found here.
Noah Cowan
Hannibal
Lulu

Post by Hannibal »

On the NHBB website, it says that the New Kent Virginia tournament is on February 2nd, rather than February 9th as listed on this thread.
Tajin Rogers
Longfellow MS '10-'12
St. Anselm's '12-'13
GDS '13-
Great Bustard
Auron

Post by Great Bustard »

Hannibal wrote:On the NHBB website, it says that the New Kent Virginia tournament is on February 2nd, rather than February 9th as listed on this thread.
It is in fact Feb. 2, as per the NHBB website. If a moderator could change this, that would be great. I'll be directing it, and I hope that area teams will join us for it. We may end up running B set on Saturday, March 30 as well up closer to DC, but we don't yet have a host, so anyone looking to play B set is actively encouraged to do so at New Kent on Feb. 2.
David Madden
Important Bird Area

nationalhistorybeeandbowl wrote:
Hannibal wrote:On the NHBB website, it says that the New Kent Virginia tournament is on February 2nd, rather than February 9th as listed on this thread.
It is in fact Feb. 2, as per the NHBB website. If a moderator could change this, that would be great.
Fixed.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
Great Bustard
Auron

Post by Great Bustard »

nationalhistorybeeandbowl wrote:
It is in fact Feb. 2, as per the NHBB website. If a moderator could change this, that would be great. I'll be directing it, and I hope that area teams will join us for it. We may end up running B set on Saturday, March 30 as well up closer to DC, but we don't yet have a host, so anyone looking to play B set is actively encouraged to do so at New Kent on Feb. 2.
Okay, so after not being able to find a host for March 30 (spring break, Easter weekend, etc.), we're going to run B set at Centennial on Sunday, March 24. Obviously, there's nothing on that Sunday scheduled, so that's the best day for us to run with this. We're also going to be using the middle school set here, and not at St. Anselm's, as Burleigh Manor Middle School will be a partner in helping to make this tournament work. This will be the last chance for any area teams and students to qualify for our Nationals, so we hope your school might be able to join us for it.
David Madden
The Stately Rhododendron
Rikku

IKD
Yale 18
Oakland Mills 14
tgaddy
Lulu

Post by tgaddy »

Can whoever "owns" this thread actually update the calendar. Some information has been on here for weeks and still has not been put on the calendar. The date and set being used for LOCKOUT, NAQT Maryland states, and the Oakland mills tournament on march 30th are just some of the things I noticed that were either missing or incorrect on the calendar. I'm sure there is other stuff that is wrong and/or missing as well. Thank you.
Thomas Gaddy
Montgomery Blair High School '13
Important Bird Area

tgaddy wrote:Can whoever "owns" this thread actually update the calendar. Some information has been on here for weeks and still has not been put on the calendar. The date and set being used for LOCKOUT, NAQT Maryland states, and the Oakland mills tournament on march 30th are just some of the things I noticed that were either missing or incorrect on the calendar. I'm sure there is other stuff that is wrong and/or missing as well. Thank you.
Updated.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

Post by Adventure Temple Trail »

It seems generally true that calendar threads are only useful if the people who start them remember that they exist and actually update them regularly as a service. Otherwise, I'm not sure what the point is, other than to be an annoyance to the admins who are left to play catch-up in the original poster's stead. I'd be interested to hear a little more generally about whether these threads are a service that people find useful or actually use.
Matt Jackson
University of Chicago '24
Yale '14, Georgetown Day School '10
member emeritus, ACF