WKU Hilltopper Invitational (Bowling Green, KY 11/17/12)

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

WKU Hilltopper Invitational (Bowling Green, KY 11/17/12)

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

The WKU Academic Competition Club will be hosting the third annual WKU Hilltopper Invitational on November 17, 2012. This will be a tournament dedicated to bringing the principles of good quizbowl to academic teams in Kentucky and Tennessee, featuring high quality questions, a fair format, and a competitive field. Last year we had 24 teams from 3 states in attendance, and we'd love to have an even more geographically diverse field this fall. I, Nick Conder, will be serving as the Tournament Director. Feel free to email me at [email protected] with any questions, concerns, or advice. We'll be sending out information to schools (along with a registration form that can be used as an invoice) this fall.

Location: Cherry Hall, Western Kentucky University (Bowling Green, KY)

Questions: This will be a mirror of the housewrite being produced by Michigan State University and the University of Delaware. This set will be an appropriate difficulty for all teams, something our mirror of HFT last year was not.

Fee: $70 per team.
$20 moderator discount
$10 scorekeeper discount
$10 new to good quizbowl discount (Kentucky teams only)
$10 out-of-state discount (non-Kentucky teams only)
Minimum fee: $30

Every school that attends must bring a buzzer system.

Payment: We would prefer you pay on the day of the tournament, rather than sending a check ahead of time. We will accept cash or checks made out to the Academic Competition Club. We would really appreciate it if you pay us on the day of the tournament. While I'm willing to be flexible, if we don't have payment at least two weeks after the event, we will attach a $20 fee to your bill.

Format: We will have a pool play format and will rebracket into another set of pools in the afternoon that are based on performance in the morning. This format is the same basic one we have used at past tournaments. We will look into improving upon this format, although it should be noted that we expect to no longer have timed rounds. There will be powers, but we will not have negs.

To register, please email me at [email protected]
Last edited by Rococo A Go Go on Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nicholas C
KQBA member
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Re: WKU Hilltopper Invitational (Bowling Green, KY 11/17/12)

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

Field (20 teams)

Adair County A
Adair County B
Brentwood (TN)
Conner
Corbin
DuPont Manual A
Dupont Manual B
DuPont Manual C
Henderson County
Muhlenberg County A
Muhlenberg County B
Oldham County
Owensboro
Pikeville
Portland A (TN)
Portland B (TN)
Woodford County A
Woodford County B
Woodford County C
Woodford County D
Last edited by Rococo A Go Go on Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:33 pm, edited 28 times in total.
Nicholas C
KQBA member
Chimalpahin Quauhtlehuanitzin
Wakka

Post by Chimalpahin Quauhtlehuanitzin »

Hello. This is MLK showing tentative interest in this tournament. Confirmation within 1 week.
Thanks.
Rohan Nag
Vanderbilt '17 | MLK '13
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

The field for this is 1/3 full and we're still nearly 6 weeks away from the tournament. We have 24 spots in the field, so I encourage teams to register soon. Also if any quizbowlers in the area would like to come staff the tournament, please email me.
Nicholas C
KQBA member
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

This tournament has been certified platinum by PACE, meaning that the top 25% of the field will qualify for their National Scholastic Championship.
Nicholas C
KQBA member
HarvardHillBilly
Lulu

Post by HarvardHillBilly »

Pikeville High School will be attending.
Bennett Stewart
Pikeville High School Coach
Warlockoftheeast
Lulu

Post by Warlockoftheeast »

Corbin has definite interest. May take a few days or so to get it finalized/settled.
Kieren Weisert
"Away! away! for I will fly to thee,"-Ode to a Nightingale
Corbin High School '14
Columbia University in the City of New York '18

Johnny Quizbowl.
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

We're less than 3 weeks away from this tournament, and the field is 2/3 full. We've heard interest from a lot of teams who haven't officially registered yet, so teams who are thinking about coming should probably jump in soon. We only have 24 spots, and I can't guarantee that any room will be left in the field if you wait too long.
Nicholas C
KQBA member
jesseshelburne
Lulu

Post by jesseshelburne »

Manual is interested in bringing 3 teams. Confirmation will be coming from our AC in the next few days.
Jesse Shelburne
Captain - duPont Manual (KY) '14
Harvard '18
Warlockoftheeast
Lulu

Post by Warlockoftheeast »

Corbin at the moment has 1 team. Confirmation of this hopefully by tomorrow or the next day by coach.
Kieren Weisert
"Away! away! for I will fly to thee,"-Ode to a Nightingale
Corbin High School '14
Columbia University in the City of New York '18

Johnny Quizbowl.
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

We still have a few spots left for this event, although I'm waiting to hear back from some of the teams who have expressed interest. Space is very limited, so if anyone is going to drop (please don't!) from the field, please do it soon so teams who are considering coming will know if they'll have a spot.
Nicholas C
KQBA member
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

Here's the text of an email I just sent out regarding logistical information:
At the moment I have the following teams registered for this event. If you're information is different from mine (especially if you're not coming) please let me know:

Adair County (2 teams)
Brentwood (2 teams)
Conner
Corbin
DuPont Manual (3 teams)
Gallatin
Henderson County
Muhlenberg County (2 teams)
Oldham County
Owensboro
Pikeville
Portland (2 teams)
Woodford County (4 teams)

I've attached our registration form/invoice for this email, in case anybody needs one. The registration fee is $70 per team, a variety of discounts that are available to schools are detailed in the attached form. Each team needs to bring at least one buzzer system. Also if you're bringing moderators or scorekeepers, please let me know ahead of time.

Registration will be from 8:00-8:45 AM on Saturday. Please be here no later than 8:45, and I would recommend you planning to be here by 8:30 so we can get started early. The tournament will be in Cherry Hall, which is at the very top of the hill on WKU's campus. There's a cupola on top and a statue of Henry Hardin Cherry out front, so it's hard to miss. Cars can park in the College Hill Lot, right across the street from Cherry Hall. Buses should park in the Center Street Gravel Lot or Adams Street Lot. I've attached a parking map to this email to help you find those places.

We'll be doing round robin in the morning and afternoon, and every team should get either 9 or 10 games depending on the tournament size. The tournament should be over by 4 or 5 PM. The rules are similar to NAQT format, although games aren't timed and we don't count negs. There will be powers, and bonuses do not bounce back. If you're unfamiliar with this type of questions, I suggest using questions form www.quizbowlpackets.com to practice this week.

Thanks for your interest in the WKU Hilltopper Invitational. Hope to see your teams on Saturday!

Thank you,
Nick Conder
WKU Academic Competition Club
Nicholas C
KQBA member
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

Nicholas C
KQBA member
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

Playoff Stats
Combined Stats

Order of Finish:

1) Pikeville
2) Manual A
3) Woodford A
4) Corbin
5) Manual B

I'll have a much more detailed recap tomorrow.
Nicholas C
KQBA member
Steeve Ho You Fat
Auron

Post by Steeve Ho You Fat »

I hope everyone enjoyed the questions yesterday. As a reminder, they are not yet cleared for public discussion. If you have any feedback or comments you'd like to make, you can request access to the "MSU/UD Set Discussion" usergroup through your control panel, or send me an E-mail.
Joe Nutter
PACE Emeritus
Michigan State University '14
Walnut Hills High School '11
AustinlSmith
Lulu

Post by AustinlSmith »

I was going to wait until after the full recap to post this, but I guess I'll go ahead and do it now. I'd like to thank Nick for a very well ran tournament that was able to give us 9 good games in what I felt was a decent time. My team had a fun time at this tournament and we're certainly looking ahead to a hopeful spring tournament where we might actually be able to have a full A-team line up. My only complaint would be that our team didn't get to play off for the fifth place national's qualifying spot. Regardless, it was still a great tournament in my opinion and I really loved the set. Thanks!
Austin Smith
University of Kentucky