Illinois '12-'13

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
kievanrustic
Lulu
Location: Riverside, IL (Aurora, IL during most of the school year)

Re: Illinois '12-'13

Post by kievanrustic »

Worst finish for an IL A team: Fenton, 4-6, 169th
Unless I missed something, they were also the only Illinois A team not to make the playoffs, as well as the only one to finish under .500. Belvidere North finished the prelims at 9-1, and Loyola of course finished highest overall at third, winning eight straight playoff matches. If only they had finished the prelims 7-3, I think they could've won it all, given how soundly they beat LASA. Macomb won the Small School division. Overall, I think we definitely maintained our reputation as arguably the toughest and most diverse quizbowl state out there.
For one, I have to agree with Morgan on the fact that IMSA should be mentioned. IMSA, which pulled at T-5th, certainly performed well at the HSNCT. Also, I'm sorry to tell James this, but Fenton did not have the worst finish out of Illinois teams at the HSNCT. That dubious honor belongs to my former school Riverside Brookfield, which had its A team place 215th (3-7) and its B team place 254th (1-9).
Andrew Salij
Northwestern University 2024
St. Olaf College 2019
IMSA 2015
Emil Nolde
Wakka

Post by Emil Nolde »

Stillman and Cumberland are in the Small School division, so 4-6 gets them into the playoffs. I also didn't recognize Riverside Brookfield as being from IL, sorry.

@Morgan
I'm not saying it reflects badly on you, I get why it was necessary. Still though, you tended to neg more in the prelim games you won (most of which were not close), and the erasure of the penalties would've tied you in your matches with Early College and Northmont. But you probably already know this.

I get that you had to play aggressively and that you can't take out the bad guesses without taking out the right ones. I'm not trying to start something here.
James Zetterman
Carbondale Community High School '15
SIU Carbondale '19 or thereabouts

Keep your expectations low.
Stained Diviner
Auron

Post by Stained Diviner »

If all goes according to plan, you will be able to follow Team Illinois matches today at this link.
David Reinstein
Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo, Masonics, and IESA; TD for Scobol Solo and Reinstein Varsity; IHSSBCA Board Member; IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014); PACE President (2016-2018)
Stained Diviner
Auron

Post by Stained Diviner »

I'm a bit late posting this, but today's matches are here.
David Reinstein
Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo, Masonics, and IESA; TD for Scobol Solo and Reinstein Varsity; IHSSBCA Board Member; IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014); PACE President (2016-2018)