CWRU's Buzzerpalooza 2005

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
hansman2k1
Lulu

CWRU's Buzzerpalooza 2005

Post by hansman2k1 »

Greetings from the Case Trivia Club as we get ready to host 2005’s
Buzzerpalooza high school tournament.

In case you need a brief run-down on how the tournament works, point
your web browser to http://www.cwru.edu/orgs/trivia/buzz/bformat.html
(the page is a little dated and some changes have been made since then; if you have any questions, please ask).

This year's Buzzerpalooza will take place on January 29th, 2005.

Entry fee schedule
Early Entry Deadline: December 31
Regular Entry Deadline: January 21

For Buzzerpalooza, all teams will be charged the following:
$85 for each team of four, with preferably no more than two
alternates

$65 for each additional team

a $10 discount will be given for each functioning buzzer system, with
one light recognizing each player in a two-team match

a $10 discount will be given for each experienced moderator; also, the
moderator must be able to read for all of the preliminary round games

a $20 discount will be given for checks sent prior to December 31.
Minimum entry fee will be $35 per team. A set of questions is
included with your entry fee.

Send all registrations to [email protected].
Send checks to:
Case College Trivia Club
CWRU
10900 Euclid Ave.
Cleveland, OH 44106-7103
(note: you MUST use the 9-digit zip code)

The competition is open to all interested high school (grades 9-12)
academic teams. A team will be given Junior Varsity classification if all of its members are either freshmen or sophomores.

Due to a conflict with the questions, if your team plays in the University of Maryland’s Fall Classic, they will not be eligible to compete in this tournament.

Registration will tentatively take place from 7:30-8:30am with the
team meeting beginning at 8:45. A more detailed schedule will be
sent out when the tournament nears.

If you have any questions, feel free to contact Jeff Hanson at
[email protected]. For information about Case's Trivia team, go to http://www.cwru.edu/orgs/trivia/index.html .

Have a great semester and hope to see you all here in January!

Jeff Hanson
Case College Trivia President
zwtipp
Rikku

Post by zwtipp »

Do you have a list of teams that will be coming to the tournament next weekend?

Thanks
I do not care much for large yellow Avians.
BobGHHS
Rikku

Post by BobGHHS »

Zach-
Here is the list Jeff sent us coaches via email.

SCHOOL Varsity JV Buzzers Mods
Aurora 2 ? 1 1
Bellevue 2 1
Benedictine 1 1 1 1
Berkshire 1 0 1 2
Chagrin Falls 1 0 2 0
Cloverleaf 2 1
Copley 1 1 4 1
Cuyahoga Heights 2 0 0 0
DCC 1 1 1 0
Elyria Catholic 2 0 0 0
Euclid 1 1
Garfield Heights 1 1 1 1
Hudson 3 0 1 2
Kenston 1 1 1 0
Lakeside 1 0 0 0
North Olmstead 1 1 1 0
Ottawa Hills 2 0
Solon 2 0 1 1
Springfield 1 0 1 0
St. Charles 5 2 4 3
St. Ignatius 1 1
Tippecanoe 1 0 1 1
Trinity 1 0 1 0
Turpin 2 3 1 0
Villa Maria 2 ?
Wellington 2 0 2 0
West Geauga 1 1

Check out St. Charles. 7 teams...5 varsity and if I did the math right... $485... I think it will be a shootout between Solon, DCC, Tipp, Garfield, Copley and St. Ignatius, although I haven't seen St. Charles or Turpin yet, and some of these teams came out of nowhere... like Lakeside, who we beat on Academic Challenge.

BTW Zach, I'm doing the BCS thing again out of boredom, so IM me for details and to do your poll...
Bob Kilner
Kent State '06 - Boise State '10
Former Coach, Garfield Hts (OH) (2001-2008)
Coach, Eastlake North HS (OH) (2015-)

"I'd sooner fail than not be among the greatest." - John Keats
jrbellas
Lulu

Post by jrbellas »

Bob,

If we play like we did against Culver (IN) and Mason (MI) during last week at Michigan State, we might be lucky to finish .500 and barely make the playoffs at Buzzerpalooza. My money is on Solon destroying everyone, except maybe DCC, who is also good and I think getting better. Everyone else on your list is better than us :shock: , but not as good as Noah and his crew.

See Phil Blessman's comments on the Ohio Quizbowl thread..... If Solon went to nationals right now, they would beat some very good teams. It will be interesting to see if they improve over the next four months or see other teams do the improving.
sidar
Lulu

Post by sidar »

jrbellas wrote:My money is on Solon destroying everyone, except maybe DCC, who is also good and I think getting better. Everyone else on your list is better than us :shock: , but not as good as Noah and his crew.
Why thank you. It's about time that I get half a compliment about my performance.

EDIT: Medina is a bit far to scrim. :(
Last edited by sidar on Wed Jan 26, 2005 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
solonqb
Tidus

Post by solonqb »

Dickman, Media is outside of Philadelphia, that would indeed be a bit far to scrimmage them. Why don't you turn your mental spell-checker on the next time you type Medina. And in any case, you don't have to come if you don't want to.
Noah Rahman
Welcome to Simbabwe, where the property is already owned and the houses built and you compete to burn and dispossess them. Compete with Robert Mugabe, Canaan Banana, Cecil Rhodes and Sir Godfrey Huggins to earn a place on the all-time EU travel ban list!
sidar
Lulu

Post by sidar »

solonqb wrote:Dickman, Media is outside of Philadelphia, that would indeed be a bit far to scrimmage them. Why don't you turn your mental spell-checker on the next time you type Medina. And in any case, you don't have to come if you don't want to.
Why don't you shut the heck up and ignore my minor typos. I've watched you type, and you type with many many more typos. I just happened not to proofread since I had to leave.

Watch your mouth!!! Do not piss me off further, having to edit your crap while watching Maryland-Duke.
solonqb
Tidus

Post by solonqb »

At Buzzerpalooza, a team many are overlooking might be Springfield. They did very well on the TV show and at our tournament last year. They might turn a few heads on Saturday.
Noah Rahman
Welcome to Simbabwe, where the property is already owned and the houses built and you compete to burn and dispossess them. Compete with Robert Mugabe, Canaan Banana, Cecil Rhodes and Sir Godfrey Huggins to earn a place on the all-time EU travel ban list!
MahoningQuizBowler
Rikku

Post by MahoningQuizBowler »

Springfield was at your tournament last year? I don't remember that...
solonqb
Tidus

Post by solonqb »

Results:

1- DCC
2- Garfield Heights
3- Solon
4- Tippecanoe

To anyone from the Maryland team responsible for writing the inventions round, for God's sake think of a better premise for questions. Is this a tournament or a buzzer race? One might as well just ask them to buzz ot test their reaction times.
Noah Rahman
BobGHHS
Rikku

Post by BobGHHS »

Noah- was the tournament mirrored again in Maryland?... I wasn't sure because they usually include tons of crap on Maryland's football and basketball teams....

Anyways--
I also liked the question about "This is the country you are in right now..."

That was rather interesting....

I think I would have given you the g2 phase one.... being a life science/chem major... that is what I wrote down too.... the other one though, I knew was stress because it talked about tension....

Anyways though.... i thought it was a pretty good tournament all around.... good competition..... and what's really great....

Myself and the two teams I like finished 2-3-4.... with Copley a distant 5th.... not that I don't like Sue, but its just great finishing higher than them for once....

If anything... that's the first time I've ever been there when my team has played yours... if we've even ever crossed paths before.... what was the score of the match with Tipp... I was just wondering...

Seeya at Copley
Bob Kilner

BobGHHS
Rikku

Post by BobGHHS »

I also meant to say Congratulations to both DCC's Varsity and JV. They played great all day and deserved to win.

I also did find it rather amusing watching Joel tape the one kid up with tons of scotch tape for whatever reason....

Good luck in future tournaments, we will probably see you again at Great Lakes in about two months.
Bob Kilner

bigtrain
Rikku

Post by bigtrain »

BobGHHS wrote:Noah- was the tournament mirrored again in Maryland?
Yes, it was mirrored at the University of Maryland Fall tournament. I knew it would be played at buzzerpalooza later in the year which is why I couldn't complain about all the odd questions/categories which you have mentioned on this forum.
BobGHHS
Rikku

Post by BobGHHS »

Oh, I read it too fast-- you scared me for a minute, I thought it said, it will be mirrored, not that it already had been....

Overall I didn't think the questions were bad... they were fine.... the balance was the only strange thing... seemed sometimes extremely hard and sometimes easy... but it makes it interesting at least....

I figured it was mirrored, so my captain spent this week digging stuff up about maryland..... and then of course it wasn't in there... lol
Bob Kilner

hansman2k1
Lulu

Post by hansman2k1 »

The full results for Buzzerpalooza are now available on our website, found at http://www.cwru.edu/orgs/trivia/index.html
Again, congratulations to all who competed and we hope that everyone can attend next year.

Jeff Hanson
Case College Trivia President