The SJHS Mirror of GSAC XX, December 15, 2012

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Edward Powers
Auron

The SJHS Mirror of GSAC XX, December 15, 2012

Post by Edward Powers »

Saint Joseph High School is pleased to announce its 3rd Annual GARDEN STATE ACADEMIC COMPETITION, a mirror of GSAC XX.

The Set: The Question Set was written by the distinguished members of the Maggie Walker Governor's School of Richmond, Virginia.

Set Distribution: 4/4 Lit; 4/4 Science; 4/4 History; 3/3 RMP; 3/3 Fine Arts; 1/1 Social Science; .5/.5 Geography; .5/.5 Trash.

Fee Structure: $60.00 for the first team; $50.00 for each additional team.

Discounts: $10.00 for each working buzzer system; $15.00 for each moderator; $20.00 for travel of more than 150 miles. Minimum payment per team: $35.00.

Registration: We are targeting 24-30 teams. We will have round-robin preliminaries, then re-bracket and have another round-robin for all teams in the afternoon. We hope to have a minimum of 9-10 games per team. You can register right here or you can email me at [email protected] Just place "GSAC" in the subject line. On the day of the tournament we will run registration from 7:45-8:45 AM and start Round 1 by 9AM. During registration we will have a light breakfast of bagels & juice, etc., while we finalize brackets. Also, we have ample parking in the back of our school if that is a concern, and you can park behind our Main building and enter the school via the cafeteria in the back, which you cannot miss. Payment is expected in cash or by check the morning of registration, but if you wish to mail it sooner you can make your check payable to Saint Joseph High School and mail it to: Ed Powers, St. Joseph HS, 145 Plainfield Avenue, Metuchen, NJ 08840. You can also place this address in your GPS or in your Mapquest/Google Map program and find us easily.

Current Field---( Teams; Buzzers; Moderators)---Running Totals as of December 12th---( 36; 20-21; 11):

Hunter College HS---(3; 2; 2)
State College HS-----(2; 1; 0)
Kellenberg HS-------(2; 3; 2)
Mountain Lakes HS---(3; 0; 1)
Ridgewood HS------(3; 2; 2)
Charter-------------(4; 2; 1)
Manheim Township--(2; 2; 0)
Millburn HS--------(2; 2; 0)
North Babylon HS---(3; 3; 0)
Bergen Academies-(2; 1; 1)
High Technology---(5; 1-2; 0)
"Jort Peff"-----------(1; 0; 1)
Glen Rock-----------(2; 1; 0)
MAST----------------(1; 0; 1)
Seton Hall Prep----(1; ?; ?)

Wait List:

None

NB: The Field is now definitely closed at 36 teams..
Last edited by Edward Powers on Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:35 pm, edited 47 times in total.
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
Edward Powers
Auron

Re: The SJHS Mirror of GSAC XX, December 15, 2012

Post by Edward Powers »

Bumped to remind people to come and enjoy what promises to be another great annual GSAC Set written by our friends at Maggie Walker.
Last edited by Edward Powers on Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
BroNi
Rikku

Post by BroNi »

2-3 teams, 3 buzzers, 1 moderator.
Bro. Nigel, Coach, Kellenberg Memorial HS, NY
Northern Central Railway
Wakka

Post by Northern Central Railway »

Mountain Lakes will have 2-3 teams, 0 buzzers, 1 moderator.
Andrew Ibendahl
Nashville (IL) '04
DePauw '08
Former Coach, Mountain Lakes (NJ)
Redgrass1
Lulu

Post by Redgrass1 »

Hello! Ridgewood will have 1-2 teams and 2 buzzers. We'll send in an e-mail once we get the numbers down.
Esther Sun
Ridgewood Highschool, NJ
Ravi
Lulu

Post by Ravi »

Charter will bring 3-4 teams, 2 buzzers and a moderator
Ravi Suba
Wilmington Charter '13
Berkeley '17
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

Bumped to remind people that there is still room for teams to register and to enjoy what promises to be another great GSAC Set from Maggie Walker up here in the Northeast Region.
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
dollmi
Lulu

Post by dollmi »

Manheim Township would like to attend. We will bring 2 teams and 2 buzzers.
Missy Doll-Osterhout
Coach, Manheim Township High School
urbanpf
Lulu

Post by urbanpf »

Millburn will bring three teams & two buzzers.
Peter Urban
Coach In Retirement
Millburn High School
Millburn, NJ 07041
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

Bumped to remind potential participants that there is still room in a field that promises to be tremendously competitive.
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
ProfessorIanDuncan
Wakka

Post by ProfessorIanDuncan »

Irvington may send a B team (interest is hereby expressed). The A team will be at the History Bowl in Westchester.
Alec Vulfson
Irvington High School '13
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

Using an obvious but hopefully playfully received ploy here, might I ask where my beloved New Jersey quizbowl competitors are when it comes to registering for this annually terrific set of questions against an excellent field of non-Jersey teams? Of the programs registered so far, 5 are historically excellent programs from 3 surrounding states (and at least 3 of these have earned multiple National Championships in their stellar histories so far), while only 3 are from our very own and lovely Garden State. I know from experience that Jerseyans are not afraid of competition, so, what's up Jersey? There is still room in the field to join the fun here at SJHS on the 15th of December, and, of course, we hope other out of state teams wish to come as well. We can probably accomodate up to 30 teams, so there is still room for 7-13 more teams to register. If the past is Prologue, it will certainly be another great GSAC Set from our friends at Maggie Walker, so come and compete against some of the best programs in the region and nation on what promises to be another challenging yet accessible Set!

EDIT: With the recent addition of North Babylon's 3 teams, we have added a 6th non-Jersey program and, of course 3 more teams, leaving roughly 4-10 openings in our field before we must close registration. So, Jersey teams, where are you??? :wink:
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
jonpin
Auron

Post by jonpin »

Bergen is registering, likely for 2 teams (plus a buzzer and a mod). I'll update once I confirm how many of my students are interested.
Jon Pinyan
Coach, Bergen County Academies (NJ); former player for BCA (2000-03) and WUSTL (2003-07)
HSQB forum mod, PACE member
Stat director for: NSC '13-'15, '17; ACF '14, '17, '19; NHBB '13-'15; NASAT '11

"A [...] wizard who controls the weather" - Jerry Vinokurov
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

With the registration of Bergen's 2 teams, our field now stands at 22-28, so the most we can now accept is 2 more teams. After that we will create a waiting list. Of course, if schools that have not yet decided on the exact number of teams they will be bringing could make those numbers precise, we could better gauge how's many more registrations we can accept.
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
conquerer7
Lulu

Post by conquerer7 »

High Tech will bring 2-4 teams and 2 buzzer systems.
Kevin Zhou
High Technology High School '13 (Co-Captain)
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

Kevin, I have accepted your registration of 2-3 teams, and placed your 4th team on a wait list, pending my ability to find a 16th room. Right now I am limited to 15 rooms, hence a max of 30 teams. Your registration of 2-4 teams raised the potential field to 31 teams. If I can find a 16th room, I will add your 4th team and then close the field at 32. I will let you know soon.

In the meantime, I will close registration for now and add teams to the wait list, and then add wait-listed teams to the field only if some schools already registered decide to lower their current team registration numbers, especially those schools who registered a range of teams rather than a precise number of teams.
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
Redgrass1
Lulu

Post by Redgrass1 »

Ridgewood is confirmed for 2 teams and 2 buzzers. If possible can we add another team on the waiting list?
Esther Sun
Ridgewood Highschool, NJ
ProfessorIanDuncan
Wakka

Post by ProfessorIanDuncan »

Irvington B will not be coming, hope you all have fun. This looks like its going to be one of the bests tournaments in the region this year.
Alec Vulfson
Irvington High School '13
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

I have been asking for permission to open one of our science labs to create a 16th room in our main building. I will find out tomorrow. I am pretty sure I will receive permission. If so, I can expand the field by two more teams once I know for sure, so if I am correct, the first two teams on the waiting list will be moved into the field.

Of course, as soon as schools who have not yet given me a precise number of teams do in fact give me exact numbers, I can then know if other teams on the waiting list can be moved into the field. So, please remit exact team numbers as soon as possible.

Thanks.
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
Northern Central Railway
Wakka

Post by Northern Central Railway »

Edward Powers wrote:
Of course, as soon as schools who have not yet given me a precise number of teams do in fact give me exact numbers, I can then know if other teams on the waiting list can be moved into the field. So, please remit exact team numbers as soon as possible.

Thanks.
Mountain Lakes will definitely have 3 teams. Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner, between two weeks of no school and ML having its first round taping for The Challenge this week, until today I hadn't had a full team practice in 3 weeks!
Andrew Ibendahl
Nashville (IL) '04
DePauw '08
Former Coach, Mountain Lakes (NJ)
conquerer7
Lulu

Post by conquerer7 »

High Tech can send 5 teams (huge interest in this tournament!); one of our buzzer systems may need repair, but we'll definitely bring the other.
Kevin Zhou
High Technology High School '13 (Co-Captain)
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

I was able to secure a science lab as a 16th room, so the Field will be expanded to 32 and closed at that number. As a consequence, the first two teams on the waiting list, High Tech's 4th team and Ridgewood's 3rd, have been added to the field. The 5th request for High Tech has now been placed on the waiting list, behind "Jort Peff (1) and Glen Rock (2).

However, only two schools---Hunter and Wilmington Charter---have not yet clarified their precise number of desired teams. Hopefully they will do so soon so that those teams on the waiting list can learn ASAP if they will be able to enter the Field. Of course I will maintain a waiting list no matter what, because, as we all know, sometimes registered teams do cancel or reduce their numbers a day or two before a tournament, allowing wait-listed teams to enter at the last minute. Of course, if any team wants me to drop its name from the waiting list, just let me know.

EDIT: And if any registered schools would like to bring at least 1 moderator or add a 2nd moderator, that would be terrific, and, of course, earn a $15.00 discount for each.
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
gstoye
Lulu

Post by gstoye »

Ed...

Please let me know if you received my emails regarding our interest in this event. Even if we can;t get in, I want to be sure that I have the address correct.

Thanks!
Gene Stoye
Academic Team Advisor
MAST Sandy Hook NJ
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

Gene,

I have NOT received any emails from you. My email address in the post above is correct, so unless you used a different address, I do not know how to explain this. And, unfortunately, unless there are major withdrawals, it looks like the Field will be closed soon. Sorry!
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

It turns out that MAST did register 1 team on November 12, but the registration ended up in my Junk or Trash folder. Since High Tech asked to add a 5th team after November 12th, I am going to place MAST on the waiting list just above High Tech's 5th team due to its earlier registration request. Further, I am going to see if I can secure two more science labs to expand the field to 36 teams, a better number than 32 in terms of logistics. But I would also hope that some teams that have not promised to bring a moderator might now offer to bring one, if possible, to aid in this potential expansion. And speaking of this, thanks to Kellenberg for volunteering to bring a 2nd moderator.
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

I have been able to secure 2 more science rooms, so I can expand the Field to 36 and close it at that number. Thus, 4 of the 5 teams on the waiting list have been moved into the Field, and I will continue to maintain a waiting list in the event that some teams decide that they must reduce their numbers between now and December 15th.
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
Redgrass1
Lulu

Post by Redgrass1 »

Also, do you have an approximate time this tournament will end?

And we will be able to bring at least one moderator.
Esther Sun
Ridgewood Highschool, NJ
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

Esther,

If all goes well, as I expect it to, we should be able to finish between 5 & 6 PM. Meanwhile, thanks for bringing a moderator; this will help greatly.
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
Ravi
Lulu

Post by Ravi »

I can now confirm that Charter will be bringing 4 teams.
Ravi Suba
Wilmington Charter '13
Berkeley '17
urbanpf
Lulu

Post by urbanpf »

Millburn will be bringing two teams, not three - still with two buzzers

(Sorry for the late notice)
Peter Urban
Coach In Retirement
Millburn High School
Millburn, NJ 07041
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

Another team has dropped from the field, thus we need one more team to bring our total back to 36. If anyone is interested, please let me know and I will add your team to the field.
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
SHP Pirate
Rikku

Post by SHP Pirate »

SHP is VERY interested! Call you later?
Michael T. Zinsmeister
Director of Admission
Seton Hall Preparatory School
West Orange, NJ
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

I will pencil SHP in immediately and wait for your call!
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

I am pleased to announce that this Saturday's Mirror of GSAC at SJHS has just received Platinum Ceritfication from PACE. This means that those teams that finish in the Top 25% of the field are eligible to register IMMEDIATELY for PACE's National Scholastic Championship Tournament at the University of Maryland in early June,, since Platinum qualifiers have been eligible to register since December 1st. So, if the field remains stable at 36 teams, the top 9 teams will qualify for the NSC.
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

Final preparations have been made and we are looking forward to seeing all 36 teams tomorrow at our GSAC XX Mirror!
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

Stat Reports have now been posted at the following link:
http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournament ... all_games/

My students had problems uploading the stats and could only upload "All Games", so what the link DOES NOT SHOW is the true order of finish based upon the results of the afternoon playoffs and the circle of death in the Solar bracket before cross-bracket matches determined final placements for all 12 upper bracket teams. Nor does it distinguish between the 5 Preliminary rounds and the 5 afternoon Playoff rounds, so here at least is a brief explanation of the decisive "Circle of Death" and the crossbracket placement matches, or, if you will, the results of the 11th Round:

In the Solar Bracket, we had a "Circle of Death" between three 4-1 teams---Hunter A, Ridgewood A and Hunter B after the 5 match Round Robin in the afternoon playoffs. Hunter B then defeated Ridgewood A in a half-packet match to earn the right to play Hunter A in another half-packet match for the Solar Championship, and Hunter B won this short match as well. So Hunter B then played Lunar Bracket Champion High Tech A head to head for the overall GSAC XX Championship and won it all.

So, here is the overall order of finish for the 12 Upper Bracket teams after the completion of ALL cross-bracket matches:

1st---Hunter B; 2nd---High Tech A; 3rd---Hunter A; 4th---Charter A; 5th---Ridgewood A; 6th---High Tech C; 7th---State College A; 8th---Manheim Township A; 9th---Millburn A; 10th---Kellenberg A; 11th---Mountain Lakes A, and 12th---Bergen A.

Since PACE certified this Mirror of GSAC XX as a Platinum Tournament, that means the Top 9 playoff finishers above have qualified for PACE's NSC in June, and ALL 9 are eligible to register IMMEDIATELY. Congratulations to ALL these teams.

Meanwhile, places 13-36 can be discerned by simply reading the records of all the 3rd place preliminary teams, who earned places 13-18, then the all the 4th place teams, who earned placements 19-24, etc., etc.

Finally, thank you to all of the readers, scorekeepers and statisticians throughout the day, as well as the SJHS Father's Club who once again provided ample breakfasts and lunches here on campus for all who desired them.
Last edited by Edward Powers on Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
jonpin
Auron

Post by jonpin »

Ed, I think the key is to go into SQBS settings, under the "Reports" tab, check "Include round reports". Then, to generate a file of just prelims, go to the "General" tab and at the bottom say "Include rounds 1-5". For playoffs "include rounds 6-10". For cumulative stats, "include all rounds". Also, make sure to merge Kellenberg/burg and North Bablyon/Babylon.
Jon Pinyan
Coach, Bergen County Academies (NJ); former player for BCA (2000-03) and WUSTL (2003-07)
HSQB forum mod, PACE member
Stat director for: NSC '13-'15, '17; ACF '14, '17, '19; NHBB '13-'15; NASAT '11

"A [...] wizard who controls the weather" - Jerry Vinokurov
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

Thanks Jon. I will speak to my statisticians and see if they can make the corrections you suggest.
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ