EnIAC II - December 15, 2012 - Raleigh, NC

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Locked
User avatar
msmathwhiz
Lulu
Posts: 34
Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:28 pm

EnIAC II - December 15, 2012 - Raleigh, NC

Post by msmathwhiz » Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:46 am

*This is the full announcement for EnIAC II – 12/15/2012*

The Enloe Quiz Bowl teams are excited to announce that we will host the second annual Enloe Invitational Academic Competition on Saturday, December 15, 2012. This is a high school Quiz Bowl tournament that will take place from 8:30 AM to 5:00 PM. The tournament is open to any high school team that wishes to attend.

Enloe Magnet High School is located approximately 3 miles east of downtown Raleigh, North Carolina. Registration pick-up, opening meeting and matches will be conducted in the “Tower” on Enloe’s campus. There is ample on-campus parking for cars and buses adjacent to the football stadium. Please enter the building through the doors adjacent to the parking lot.

AFFLIATION AND QUESTIONS: We will be using the NAQT IS -122 packet. The tournament will serve as an unofficial NAQT event, and as such, the top 15% of the field will qualify for the NAQT High School National Championship. We are also seeking to affiliate with the PACE National Tournament.

FORMAT: We desire to host a tournament with 28 teams. At this time we will play 6 rounds before lunch, then a 4- round playoff after lunch. Each team will be guaranteed to play a minimum of 10 games. Trophies will be awarded to the top teams, and book prizes will be awarded to the top eight individual scorers. Each match will consist of 2 un-timed halves, with each half consisting of 10 buzzer tossup questions. We will have powers and negs at this meet, but no bouncebacks on bonuses.

REGISTRATION: Please register via the online registration system at http://bit.ly/SETOri.

Following registration, you will receive a confirmation e-mail with an invoice. One week prior to the tournament you will receive an email with information about rules, directions to Enloe, specifics about parking and a map of nearby restaurants for lunch. Registration will run until December 8th at which time it will be opened up for schools that wish to bring more than two teams to the tournament.

FEE STRUCTURE:
Base fee: $75 for the first team, $65 for each additional team. Schools will be limited to registration of two teams until December 8th. After December 8th up to two additional teams per school may be added to the registration.

Buzzer discount: $10 off school's total fee for each fully functional system (control box and eight activators all work)-maximum of two buzzer systems

Staff discount: $10 off school's total fee. This could be a coach, parent, student who is not playing, etc. Volunteer staffers must stay through all the games (except finals) in order to receive credit for their school. You may have only one staffer count for your discount.

Travel discount: $15 off school’s total fee for travelling over 150 miles (as determined by Google Maps).

METHOD OF PAYMENT: All teams must pay on or before the day of the tournament. We would prefer that you send in your payment before the tournament, but will also accept payment in person right before the tournament starts. Teams who do not pay on or before the day of the tournament will be charged a $25 penalty and will have two weeks to pay their total amount before we start mailing letters to your school administration about it. We can accept cash, checks from your school, school district, or Quiz Bowl club funds. We cannot accept personal checks.

HOTELS: If you are interested in a local hotel, please contact Celia Rowland (crowland@wcpss.net).

TEAM & ROSTER SIZE: There may be a maximum of six players on one team's roster, up to four of whom may play at one time, with no exceptions. If you bring more than six players, you must register a second team to have all of them play. There is a halftime substitution opportunity in each game. Each player may appear on only one team's roster throughout the day-no switching from the B team to the A team, etc. Teams may also play shorthanded with only three players. Teams consisting of fewer than three players may not play without my express prior permission.

We look forward to your participation in our tournament!
Celia Rowland
Coach, Enloe Magnet HS
crowland@wcpss.net

User avatar
vinteuil
Auron
Posts: 1350
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:31 pm

Re: EnIAC II - December 15, 2012 - Raleigh, NC

Post by vinteuil » Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:46 pm

Thanks for running this tournament in a more manageable timeframe, despite 10 full rounds and starting late!
Jacob Reed
Chicago ~'25
Yale '17, '19
East Chapel Hill '13
"...distant bayings from...the musicological mafia"―Denis Stevens

User avatar
msmathwhiz
Lulu
Posts: 34
Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:28 pm

Re: EnIAC II - December 15, 2012 - Raleigh, NC

Post by msmathwhiz » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:47 am

Congratulations to East Chapel Hill HS A team for winning the tournament yesterday. Second place was taken by Raleigh Charter A and third place by NCSSM A. While we had a small turnout for this tournament, it was a lot of fun. I think everyone appreciated being done by 4:30 PM. Trophies will be shipped out over the winter break.

Stats are at: http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournament ... c_results/

Let me know if there are typos or stat errors!
Celia Rowland
Coach, Enloe Magnet HS
crowland@wcpss.net

Urech hydantoin synthesis
Tidus
Posts: 523
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:35 pm

Re: EnIAC II - December 15, 2012 - Raleigh, NC

Post by Urech hydantoin synthesis » Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:13 pm

How did Raleigh Charter A get over 30 points per bonus in their first two rounds?
Ben Zhang

Zucker School of Medicine at Hofstra/Northwell '23
Columbia University '18
Ladue Horton Watkins HS '14

User avatar
vinteuil
Auron
Posts: 1350
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:31 pm

Re: EnIAC II - December 15, 2012 - Raleigh, NC

Post by vinteuil » Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:28 pm

Christ, I Know wrote:How did Raleigh Charter A get over 30 points per bonus in their first two rounds?
It's very simple, Ben:
Cave Spring A W 500 195 3 8 0 20 25.00 inf inf 11 375 34.09
Raleigh Charter got 3 powers, 8 tossups=125 points. Subtract that from their total of 500 points, and they must have earned 375 points on bonuses, clearly having heard 11 of them. That works out to 34.09 points per bonus, so these stats are totally legit.

All joking aside, I can't figure out what exactly went wrong here. Presumably Coach Newmark has her scoresheets and can enlighten us, if there was some error at the scorer level.

[EDIT: I don't think we had any 5-point bonuses in the first round either...I only recall one (maybe two)—so there seem to be a lot more errors than just this, that are simply more subtle

Yes, looking, for instance, at our round 6—we got 6 powers, 5 tossups, not the other way around.]
Last edited by vinteuil on Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jacob Reed
Chicago ~'25
Yale '17, '19
East Chapel Hill '13
"...distant bayings from...the musicological mafia"―Denis Stevens

User avatar
msmathwhiz
Lulu
Posts: 34
Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:28 pm

Re: EnIAC II - December 15, 2012 - Raleigh, NC

Post by msmathwhiz » Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:31 pm

The score sheets are locked in the computer lab at school and I cannot access them until we open at 6 AM tomorrow. I'll look at them while my first class is testing.
Celia Rowland
Coach, Enloe Magnet HS
crowland@wcpss.net

User avatar
kamikaze
Wakka
Posts: 243
Joined: Tue Oct 03, 2006 10:06 am
Location: Roanoke, VA

Re: EnIAC II - December 15, 2012 - Raleigh, NC

Post by kamikaze » Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:30 pm

perlnerd666 wrote:
Christ, I Know wrote:How did Raleigh Charter A get over 30 points per bonus in their first two rounds?
It's very simple, Ben:
Cave Spring A W 500 195 3 8 0 20 25.00 inf inf 11 375 34.09
Raleigh Charter got 3 powers, 8 tossups=125 points. Subtract that from their total of 500 points, and they must have earned 375 points on bonuses, clearly having heard 11 of them. That works out to 34.09 points per bonus, so these stats are totally legit.
Well, for that round specifically, I can tell you that according to our scoresheets, Raleigh Charter only scored 400 pts and not 500. Scorekeeper error or someone mistyped something in the data entry, I imagine.
Bob Powers
Academic Team Coach
Cave Spring High School

User avatar
vinteuil
Auron
Posts: 1350
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:31 pm

Re: EnIAC II - December 15, 2012 - Raleigh, NC

Post by vinteuil » Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:47 pm

kamikaze wrote:
perlnerd666 wrote:
Christ, I Know wrote:How did Raleigh Charter A get over 30 points per bonus in their first two rounds?
It's very simple, Ben:
Cave Spring A W 500 195 3 8 0 20 25.00 inf inf 11 375 34.09
Raleigh Charter got 3 powers, 8 tossups=125 points. Subtract that from their total of 500 points, and they must have earned 375 points on bonuses, clearly having heard 11 of them. That works out to 34.09 points per bonus, so these stats are totally legit.
Well, for that round specifically, I can tell you that according to our scoresheets, Raleigh Charter only scored 400 pts and not 500. Scorekeeper error or someone mistyped something in the data entry, I imagine.
That still leaves Raleigh Charter with 275 points on bonuses?

Sorry to sound so picky about all of this!
Jacob Reed
Chicago ~'25
Yale '17, '19
East Chapel Hill '13
"...distant bayings from...the musicological mafia"―Denis Stevens

User avatar
kamikaze
Wakka
Posts: 243
Joined: Tue Oct 03, 2006 10:06 am
Location: Roanoke, VA

Re: EnIAC II - December 15, 2012 - Raleigh, NC

Post by kamikaze » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:08 am

perlnerd666 wrote:
kamikaze wrote:
perlnerd666 wrote:
Christ, I Know wrote:How did Raleigh Charter A get over 30 points per bonus in their first two rounds?
It's very simple, Ben:
Cave Spring A W 500 195 3 8 0 20 25.00 inf inf 11 375 34.09
Raleigh Charter got 3 powers, 8 tossups=125 points. Subtract that from their total of 500 points, and they must have earned 375 points on bonuses, clearly having heard 11 of them. That works out to 34.09 points per bonus, so these stats are totally legit.
Well, for that round specifically, I can tell you that according to our scoresheets, Raleigh Charter only scored 400 pts and not 500. Scorekeeper error or someone mistyped something in the data entry, I imagine.
That still leaves Raleigh Charter with 275 points on bonuses?

Sorry to sound so picky about all of this!
Here's what I have and Celia or someone from Raleigh Charter is free to confirm: Raleigh Charter got 4 powers, 8 tossups for 140 points with 260 points earned on 12 bonus questions. I'm sure it was a minor stats error made in the war room or something. There were no 5 part bonuses in that tournament and I haven't heard one in a while.
Bob Powers
Academic Team Coach
Cave Spring High School

Locked