NAQT Kentucky State Championship @ WKU (April 20, 2013)

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

NAQT Kentucky State Championship @ WKU (April 20, 2013)

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

The WKU Academic Competition Club will be hosting the NAQT Kentucky State Championship on April 20, 2013. This will be a tournament dedicated to bringing the principles of good quizbowl to academic teams in Kentucky, featuring high quality questions, a fair format, and a competitive field. I, Nick Conder, will be serving as the Tournament Director. Feel free to email me at [email protected] with any questions, concerns, or advice.

Location: Cherry Hall, Western Kentucky University (Bowling Green, KY)

Questions: NAQT's IS-126.

Fee: $60 per team.
$20 moderator discount
$10 scorekeeper discount
$10 new to good quizbowl discount
Minimum fee: $30

Every school that attends must bring a buzzer system. Each school is limited to registering no more than two teams for this tournament. This cap will be lifted on April 1, 2013, or if we expand the field to 30 or more teams.

Payment: Please pay on the day of the tournament. If you must be late with payment, get it to us by the end of April or I'll attach a $20 late fee to the bill. We accept cash, checks made out to the Academic Competition Club, and have the ability to process purchase orders if we must. I would prefer it if you do not mail us a check ahead of the event, because we have had several instances of checks being lost in the mail and never arriving.

Format: This event will have a pool play format in the prelims, and for the playoffs we'll rebracket into another set of pools based on performance in the morning. This is the same format used at past WKU tournaments. Each game will consist of 20 tossups and 20 bonuses, with the last 4 tossups of each packet reserved in case of overtime or moderator errors. We're going to use powers and negs for this event as well.

Free Perks We will provide a full breakfast and lunch to all coaches and other helpers, in addition to snacks and beverages for players. We will also award trophies to top teams and book prizes to the top individual scorers. Full statistics will be kept and posted in this thread immediately after the event ends. They'll also be on NAQT's website shortly afterward.

We would really welcome any good moderators willing to come help out, so if you're available please get in touch with me. There is currently a field cap of 24 teams, and while we should have the rooms available to expand the field, it will be dependent on finding more staffers. Teams may register by sending me an email at [email protected]
Nicholas C
KQBA member
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Re: NAQT Kentucky State Championship @ WKU (April 20, 2013)

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

Field
Ballard
Corbin
Dunbar A
Dunbar B
Eastern A
Eastern B
Manual A
Manual B
Oldham County
St. Xavier
Last edited by Rococo A Go Go on Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:19 pm, edited 11 times in total.
Nicholas C
KQBA member
SHM
Lulu

Post by SHM »

Nick,
Dunbar would like to bring 2 teams.
SHM@PLD
Susan, Dunbar
jwoolley
Lulu

Post by jwoolley »

Nick,
Owensboro High School will be entering one team
Thanks!
John Woolley, Assistant Academic Coach
Owensboro High School
John Woolley
Assistant Academic Coach
Owensboro High School
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

This afternoon I sent an email out to over 50 schools about this tournament, and since the field is already nearly 1/3 full, it may be advisable for teams to sign up for this event soon.
Nicholas C
KQBA member
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

A few notes on this event:

1) We're up to 12 teams registered! Teams should register soon if they haven't done so yet.

2) This is April 1, so school can now register as many teams as they want. So far nobody has indicated they have more teams, but if anyone has a C team that would like to play, they are free to register.

3) We are now pairing this tournament with a Sunday mirror of the Minnesota Undergraduate Tournament. These questions are designed for undergraduate collegiate students, but are very good practice for high school teams looking to go to national tournaments. In any case, it would be great to have some high school teams stick around for the Sunday tournament as well.
Nicholas C
KQBA member
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

If you plan to mail a check, please let me know ahead of time and make sure you're sending to a valid address. Or even better, hold on to it and bring it to the tournament. Past addresses may not be valid anymore, and current addresses probably won't be after this semester.
Nicholas C
KQBA member
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

If anybody plans to drop or register, please let me know by tomorrow night. With the current field, we'll run a full round robin and then split into two playoff brackets. Registration will be from 8-8:30 AM on Saturday with the tournament starting once everyone gets here and understands where they need to be. I'll email everyone tomorrow with more information regarding parking, lunch, etc. but most of you have been here before and everything should be the same as usual.
Nicholas C
KQBA member
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

We've got 10 teams in the final field, so we're just going to do a full round robin and then a final if necessary. If anybody has questions just let me know.
Nicholas C
KQBA member
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

Today the NAQT Kentucky State Championship was held on the campus of Western Kentucky University. With a ten team field, we opted for a full round robin, and after nine rounds of intense competition Paul Laurence Dunbar A of Lexington, KY emerged as the 2013 NAQT Kentucky State Champion. Rather than play off for second (or an advantaged final for the winner) DuPont Manual of Louisville, KY decided to let their two teams share the 2nd place trophy. If the ties are broken statistically (by PPG) the order of finish is:

1) Dunbar A, 8-1
2) Manual B, 7-2
3) Manual A, 7-2
4) St. Xavier, 5-4
5) Corbin, 5-4
6) Ballard, 5-4
7) Dunbar B, 4-5
8) Oldham County, 3-6
9) Eastern A, 1-8
10) Eastern B, 0-9

First Team All Tournament: Kieren Weisert (Corbin), Jack Zhang (Ballard), Alice Liu (Manual B), Nivedita Khandkar (Manual B)
Second Team All Tournament: Amos Zoeller (Eastern A), Christian Wright (Dunbar B), Athena Kern (Dunbar A), Will Walters (Dunbar A)

The top finishing team that hadn't qualified yet was St. Xavier, who now join 8 other teams from this field as having qualified for the 2013 NAQT HSNCT in Atlanta, GA. Stats are here: http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournament ... standings/

We had a wonderful time having everybody on campus, the level of play from top to bottom at this tournament was perhaps some of the best I've ever witnessed in this state. I would like to thank the following people for helping staff today's tournament: Bryan Rich, Jason Thompson, Matthew Riggle, Alex Malone, Bobbi Templet, Cole Phelps, Nathan Lasley, Shawna Felkins, and the volunteer that Dunbar brought. I would especially like to thank Terence Donohue for keeping stats throughout the day. We greatly enjoyed hosting this tournament and hope to see you all back here again for tournaments in the 2013-14 school year.
Nicholas C
KQBA member