IHSA 2013

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
TylerV
Wakka

Re: IHSA 2013

Post by TylerV »

Auburn beats Belvidere North 400 to 370 to claim their sectional.

Auburn 3-0
Belvidere North 2-1
Kaneland 1-2
Stillman Valley 0-3
Tyler Vaughan
UW-Platteville, Rock Valley, UIUC 2014-2017
Southern New Hampshire University 2020 - ?

"God the automatic cat feeder might be the best invention ever" - Brad McLain
Harpie's Feather Duster
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Harpie's Feather Duster »

Auburn defeated Belvidere North 400-370 to advance from their sectional. There was an interesting protest that I will discuss once questions are cleared.
Dylan Minarik

Hamburger University 'XX
Northwestern '17
Belvidere North High School '13

Member Emeritus, PACE

JRPG Champion, BACK TO BACK Robot Slayer
Maxwell Sniffingwell
Auron

Post by Maxwell Sniffingwell »

Class AA:

Carbondale
IMSA
Auburn
Homewood-Flossmoor

Loyola
Macomb
Fremd
Bloomington

Class A:

Carterville
Carlinville
Quincy (Notre Dame)
Toledo (Cumberland) <-- won in 4 OT against second-place Casey-Westfield

Chicago Lab
Keith Country Day
Decatur Lutheran <-- won by 10 against second-place-on-tiebreaks Warrensburg-Latham
Peoria Christian
Last edited by Maxwell Sniffingwell on Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Greg Peterson

Northwestern University '18
Lawrence University '11
Maine South HS '07

"a decent player" - Mike Cheyne
Stained Diviner
Auron

Post by Stained Diviner »

Fremd won. Feel free to comment on questions.
David Reinstein
Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo, Masonics, and IESA; TD for Scobol Solo and Reinstein Varsity; IHSSBCA Board Member; IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014); PACE President (2016-2018)
merv1618
Tidus

Post by merv1618 »

Golden-bellied Starfrontlet wrote:Auburn defeated Belvidere North 400-370 to advance from their sectional. There was an interesting protest that I will discuss once questions are cleared.
Leucippe and Clitophon wrote:Fremd won. Feel free to comment on questions.
Do tell.
Adam Sperber
Hickman '10
Northwestern B '14
Loyola (inactive) '21

" 'Yay, more Adam Sperber' --Nobody " --Cody Voight
thrillhouse
Lulu

Post by thrillhouse »

cornfused wrote:Class AA:

Carbondale
IMSA
Auburn
Homewood-Flossmoor

Loyola
Macomb
Fremd
Bradley-Bourbannais

Class A:

Carterville
Carlinville
Quincy (Notre Dame)
Toledo (Cumberland) <-- won in 4 OT against second-place Casey-Westfield

Chicago Lab
Keith Country Day
Decatur Lutheran <-- won by 10 against second-place-on-tiebreaks Warrensburg-Latham
Peoria Christian
I believe Greg's post in incorrect (unless the plaque on our bus is a hot commodity). Bloomington won the Bradley-Bourbonnais Sectional. It was close, with three teams going 2 - 1 in pool play (Bloomington, Mahomet-Seymour, and Bradley-Bourbonnais), with Bloomington winning on total points.

All in all, it was a fantastic Sectional, with nearly every match coming down to the last few questions. A hardy well-played to every team there.
Last edited by thrillhouse on Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tim Coughlan
Scholastic Bowl Coach, Bloomington High School
Dominator
Tidus

Post by Dominator »

thrillhouse wrote: I believe Greg's post in incorrect (unless the plaque on our bus is a hot commodity). Bloomington won the Bradley-Bourbonnais Sectional. It was close, with three teams going 2 - 1 in pool play (Bloomington, Mahomet-Seymour, and Bradley-Bourbonnais), with Bloomington winning on total points.

All in all, it was a fantastic Sectional, with nearly every match coming down to the last down questions. A hardy well-played to every team there.
Come on, Tim, I think Greg can handle adding up a small number of tally marks and a few three-digit numbers. After all, he is a math teacher.

I would like to cautiously express appreciation that the amount of computation was well lower than it could have been. I reserve the right to repeal this compliment if we find ourselves at State this year with more than the maximum amount of computation (again).
Dr. Noah Prince

Normal Community High School (2002)
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (2004, 2007, 2008)

Illinois Mathematics and Science Academy - Scholastic Bowl coach (2009-2014), assistant coach (2014-2015), well wisher (2015-2016)
guy in San Diego (2016-present)
President of Qblitz (2018-present)

Maxwell Sniffingwell
Auron

Dominator wrote:
thrillhouse wrote: I believe Greg's post in incorrect (unless the plaque on our bus is a hot commodity). Bloomington won the Bradley-Bourbonnais Sectional. It was close, with three teams going 2 - 1 in pool play (Bloomington, Mahomet-Seymour, and Bradley-Bourbonnais), with Bloomington winning on total points.

All in all, it was a fantastic Sectional, with nearly every match coming down to the last down questions. A hardy well-played to every team there.
Come on, Tim, I think Greg can handle adding up a small number of tally marks and a few three-digit numbers.
I originally posted that with "Bradley-Bourbonnais" listed as the name of the sectional - same way that "Maine South" was originally in Loyola's spot when I was drafting the post. And then I forgot to update it. English error, not math error.
Dominator wrote: he is a math teacher.
I'll challenge that, though. That just can't be true.
Greg Peterson

Lawrence University '11
Maine South HS '07

Maxwell Sniffingwell
Auron

merv1618 wrote:
Golden-bellied Starfrontlet wrote:Auburn defeated Belvidere North 400-370 to advance from their sectional. There was an interesting protest that I will discuss once questions are cleared.
Leucippe and Clitophon wrote:Fremd won. Feel free to comment on questions.
Do tell.
I'll leave the full story to more knowledgeable people, but
Jonah Greenthal (in a text message) wrote:apparently the protest in the belvidere north-auburn match was on conor's answer of "extended metaphor" for "allegory"
Greg Peterson

Lawrence University '11
Maine South HS '07

Harpie's Feather Duster

Post by Harpie's Feather Duster »

That was basically it. Conor buzzed about a line and a half in on the parable clue and said extended metaphor and got negged. Auburn went on to pick up the tossup and some bonus parts (not sure how many). At the time they had a decent lead, but we had a strong second half and almost rallied back to win, but fell short and lost by 30. The protest was worked out at halftime and was denied based on the two terms not being the same thing, despite the fact that the tossup seemed to indicate by the giveaway that extended metaphor should have at least been promptable.
Dylan Minarik

Hamburger University 'XX
Northwestern '17
Belvidere North High School '13

Member Emeritus, PACE

JRPG Champion, BACK TO BACK Robot Slayer
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

Golden-bellied Starfrontlet wrote:That was basically it. Conor buzzed about a line and a half in on the parable clue and said extended metaphor and got negged. Auburn went on to pick up the tossup and some bonus parts (not sure how many). At the time they had a decent lead, but we had a strong second half and almost rallied back to win, but fell short and lost by 30. The protest was worked out at halftime and was denied based on the two terms not being the same thing, despite the fact that the tossup seemed to indicate by the giveaway that extended metaphor should have at least been promptable.
The giveaway is irrelevant. The only relevant parts are what was heard before the neg.
Maxwell Sniffingwell
Auron

dtaylor4 wrote:
Golden-bellied Starfrontlet wrote:That was basically it. Conor buzzed about a line and a half in on the parable clue and said extended metaphor and got negged. Auburn went on to pick up the tossup and some bonus parts (not sure how many). At the time they had a decent lead, but we had a strong second half and almost rallied back to win, but fell short and lost by 30. The protest was worked out at halftime and was denied based on the two terms not being the same thing, despite the fact that the tossup seemed to indicate by the giveaway that extended metaphor should have at least been promptable.
The giveaway is irrelevant. The only relevant parts are what was heard before the neg.
Should have been a prompt.
Greg Peterson

Lawrence University '11
Maine South HS '07

tworth
Kimahri

Post by tworth »

I'm aware of some of the all-sectional players, but not all. Could someone please provide full list or location of list? Thanks.

User was reminded to enable a signature. --Mgmt.
Emil Nolde
Wakka

Post by Emil Nolde »

So, since no one has brought them up, I'd like to mention a few somewhat annoying errors in the sectionals set.

Part b. of the Round 2 music theory bonus was wrong. A chord is usually defined as consisting of at least three tones.
Part b. of the dental stuff bonus was on 'cavities', when 'cavitation' had already been mentioned.
The two word color star name bonus had a warning that ran something along the lines of "although other terms may be in common usage, please give a two-word name for each that includes a color." If that warning wasn't there, I wouldn't say anything, but if they're spelling out that clearly what they want, could it hurt to say "none of the terms we're looking for include the word 'star'.", or else prompted on anything that had the correct color paired with star (so, if I said for each part in succession "black star, yellow star, red star", I'd be prompted on each of them) I've certainly heard the Sun described as a yellow star at least as often as I've heard it called a yellow dwarf. Also, the third part of that bonus on red giants was read by our moderator as saying that the Sun will become one of these in five million years, when I'm pretty sure the actual prediction is more in the range of five billion years. Did the packet actually say that?
James Zetterman
Carbondale Community High School '15
SIU Carbondale '19 or thereabouts

Keep your expectations low.
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

thyringe_supine wrote:Part b. of the Round 2 music theory bonus was wrong. A chord is usually defined as consisting of at least three tones.
Wrong, in spite of what Wikipedia says. Cno3, for example, is a chord consisting of two notes (namely, C and G). That said, the definition given is not particularly good.
thyringe_supine wrote:Part b. of the dental stuff bonus was on 'cavities', when 'cavitation' had already been mentioned.
So?
thyringe_supine wrote:the third part of that bonus on red giants was read by our moderator as saying that the Sun will become one of these in five million years, when I'm pretty sure the actual prediction is more in the range of five billion years. Did the packet actually say that?
Your moderator misread the question.

I concur that the sectionals questions had serious issues (though they were not as bad as the regionals questions), but am kind of mystified by the examples you chose to seize on.
Jonah Greenthal
National Academic Quiz Tournaments
Emil Nolde
Wakka

Post by Emil Nolde »

jonah wrote:
thyringe_supine wrote:Part b. of the Round 2 music theory bonus was wrong. A chord is usually defined as consisting of at least three tones.
Wrong, in spite of what Wikipedia says. Cno3, for example, is a chord consisting of two notes (namely, C and G). That said, the definition given is not particularly good.
thyringe_supine wrote:Part b. of the dental stuff bonus was on 'cavities', when 'cavitation' had already been mentioned.
So?
Hence the employment of the word 'usually'. Chords like the one you mentioned are not in frequent use, and the ones that are almost always consist of at least three tones.

Using word forms of what you're looking for is an excellent way to confuse the people that actually know the answer.
James Zetterman

jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

thyringe_supine wrote:
Using word forms of what you're looking for is an excellent way to confuse the people that actually know the answer.
Ah, yes; I thought you were talking about the bonus part on cavitation (which, as it turns out, is in the next packet anyway). You're right, questions should not contain their answer. (See also: Britney Spears.)
Jonah Greenthal
Emil Nolde
Wakka

Post by Emil Nolde »

jonah wrote:(See also: Britney Spears.)
Although I do not remember mention of her name, I hated that bonus just because of how ashamed of thirtying it I was. Also, apparently there wasn't a prompt on "T-Swizzle"?
James Zetterman

jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

thyringe_supine wrote:
Although I do not remember mention of her name, I hated that bonus just because of how ashamed of thirtying it I was.
The bonus said "Rolling Stone magazine said of this artist, 'she spearheaded the rise of post-millennial teen pop'" (emphasis mine) (and then mentioned her kids' names). This question managed to be a trifecta of offensiveness thanks to a bad pun, mentioning its own answer, and being trash.
thyringe_supine wrote:Also, apparently there wasn't a prompt on "T-Swizzle"?
Jonah Greenthal
Emil Nolde
Wakka

Post by Emil Nolde »

jonah wrote:
thyringe_supine wrote:
Although I do not remember mention of her name, I hated that bonus just because of how ashamed of thirtying it I was.
The bonus said "Rolling Stone magazine said of this artist, 'she spearheaded the rise of post-millennial teen pop'" (emphasis mine) (and then mentioned her kids' names). This question managed to be a trifecta of offensiveness thanks to a bad pun, mentioning its own answer, and being trash.
thyringe_supine wrote:Also, apparently there wasn't a prompt on "T-Swizzle"?
I did not notice that, and if anyone got it just from that, they deserve a high-five for skill in observation and not knowing much about Britney Spears.

Also, to their credit, (sort of) the pun in question wasn't conceived by the question writers, and it's possible that they were just short on time, and randomly picked a quote that just happened to be really, really stupid. I'd sooner believe that the editing was really rushed and shoddy, than believe that they actually picked it on purpose.
James Zetterman

jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

thyringe_supine wrote:
jonah wrote:
thyringe_supine wrote:
Also, to their credit, (sort of) the pun in question wasn't conceived by the question writers, and it's possible that they were just short on time, and randomly picked a quote that just happened to be really, really stupid. I'd sooner believe that the editing was really rushed and shoddy, than believe that they actually picked it on purpose.
Neither would surprise me, but since both options reflect very about equally poorly on the question writers and editors, it doesn't matter.
Jonah Greenthal
remake20
Lulu

Post by remake20 »

Good luck to everyone today. I wish I could come watch.
Andrew T.
Litchfield '15
remake20
Lulu

Post by remake20 »

Congratulations to Peoria Christian and IMSA! The AA final looked very intense. Sounds like it was a great day of competition.
Andrew T.
Litchfield '15
Stained Diviner
Auron

Post by Stained Diviner »

Congrats to IHSA Champions IMSA and Peoria Christian.
David Reinstein
Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo, Masonics, and IESA; TD for Scobol Solo and Reinstein Varsity; IHSSBCA Board Member; IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014); PACE President (2016-2018)
thrillhouse
Lulu

Post by thrillhouse »

Big congrats to IMSA and Peoria Christian as well! As my first time at State, as well as my current players', I have to say we wholeheartedly enjoyed the experience (though looking at the score, I really wished we had stayed for the championship match.). Anyone who has had the pleasure of seeing LA or IMSA this year knew it would be a great match between two fantastic teams.

Can anyone explain what looks like an error on the IHSA's website, as I am confused? The site has Fremd beating Macomb, but Macomb going into the championship flight. If Macomb lost to Fremd, how did this happen?

Thanks again to ALL teams for great SB season,
Tim
Last edited by thrillhouse on Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
Tim Coughlan
Scholastic Bowl Coach, Bloomington High School
Emil Nolde
Wakka

Post by Emil Nolde »

thrillhouse wrote:I big congrats to IMSA and Peoria Christian as well! As my first time at State, as well as my current players', I have to say we wholeheartedly enjoyed the experience (though looking at the score, I really wished we had stayed for the championship match.). Anyone who has had the pleasure of seeing LA or IMSA this year knew it would be a great match between to fantastic teams.

Can anyone explain what looks like an error on the IHSA's website, as I am confused? The site has Fremd beating Macomb, but Macomb going into the championship flight. If Macomb lost to Fremd, how did this happen?

Thanks again to ALL teams for great SB season,
Tim
No, that's wrong. Macomb beat Fremd (pretty sure), but they didn't go to championship, they went to consolation . . .

And wow that final must have been the best thing ever. A collection should be started for a plaque for Morgan's wall with something like "2013 1.01 place".

Are questions clear for discussion yet?
James Zetterman

TheDoctor
Rikku

Post by TheDoctor »

Flight in this context means "division" or "pool."

Since the only site that will ever use these questions has played, the answer to your question is yes.
Kristin Strey
SCOP
Head Coach, Winnebago High School (2014-)
Head Coach, Thurgood Marshall School (Rockford) (2022-)
Assistant Coach, IMSA (2010-2012)
Northern Illinois University Quiz Bowl Association founder
Southern Double-collared Sunbirb
Lulu

Post by Southern Double-collared Sunbirb »

Actually, James, Loyola got 1+1/9 place. *wink wink*

But yeah. Intense. We were just on the verge of giving up. But we pulled it together. And equalized. And hung in there for a few more tossups. Then lost on the final one, and it seemed for sure Loyola would get the comp math, but they 10ed it the hard way. We picked up the last easy part on the bounce for 10 winning points.
Maia Karpovich
IMSA (2011-2014)
Oklahoma (2014-2018)
she/they
Important Bird Area

Post by Important Bird Area »

thyringe_supine wrote: Part b. of the Round 2 music theory bonus was wrong. A chord is usually defined as consisting of at least three tones.
Further discussion of the definition of a "chord," who should use what Latin phrases, linguistic prescriptivism, and which instruments are more "real" than others for what kinds of music may be found here.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred