NY NASAT

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
czheng0708
Lulu

NY NASAT

Post by czheng0708 »

Not that it really matters to me because I'm not even close to being one of the better players in the New York circuit, but I noticed that other states are starting to question how NASAT tryouts are working this year. Does anyone know what is the plan for New York?
Christopher Zheng
Great Neck South High School '15
University of California, Berkeley '19
ryanrosenberg
Auron

Re: NY NASAT

Post by ryanrosenberg »

People interested in planning the logistics of the trip should look into coordinating with the New Jersey team; that worked well for last year's trip.
Ryan Rosenberg
North Carolina '16
NYU '26 (ideally)
ACF
ProfessorIanDuncan
Wakka

Post by ProfessorIanDuncan »

Honestly, it's just Hunter A. It really is up to them if they want to go to NASAT.
Alec Vulfson
Irvington High School '13
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

Alec,

You are surely gifted enough to be considered as well, along with the very talented Hunter players. And there might be other gifted NY players---certainly several of the Tribeca & Kellenberg players could be candidates, don't you think? Perhaps there are others as well? The real question is, are New York players interested in actually participating?
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
Ithaca Cricket Ump
Wakka

Post by Ithaca Cricket Ump »

Ithaca's best player and also almost certainly upstate New York's best player, senior Irit Huq-Kuruvilla, is also good enough to possibly crack this team and would possibly be interested in trying out. I don't know if he's on the board or how often he looks at it, but I'll let him know about this thread and he can respond if interested.

--Scott
Scott M. Blish
Cheval, FL
Cornell 1990-92, 1997
Tournament Director, BrainBusters Fall
HSNCT moderator 2012-, MSNCT 2013-, SSNCT 2014-, PACE NSC 2013-, NHBB Nationals 2014-
Steak and Kidney Pie
Lulu

Post by Steak and Kidney Pie »

I'm Irit Huq-Kuruvilla, I would totally be interested in trying out. What is the procedure?
Irit Huq-Kuruvilla
Columbia 2017
UC Berkeley ???
Sniper, No Sniping!
Tidus

Post by Sniper, No Sniping! »

ProfessorIanDuncan wrote:Honestly, it's just Hunter A. It really is up to them if they want to go to NASAT.
Last year, as I'm sure you know, it was Hunter A + Ryan. I've never played you, or anyone from the NYC area before, but I'm pretty sure you'd be good enough to do NASAT. The difference between NYC-land and Pennsylvania/California (where State College and Bellarmine have come from and essentially represented their states at NASAT) is that NYC has a high enough population density and a fairly proportionate amount of good quiz bowl from what I assume for it to warrant some sort of legitimate try-outs for an all-state team.

Hunter A is certainly pretty talented and even if it was just them, they could likely do pretty well. But I think the idea of NASAT is for a great competition, integrating high-quality play on high-quality questions featuring a variety of players on teams that regular competitions like HSNCT/PACE (save for the latter's all-star game) would not allow.
Thomas Moore
Lancaster Fisher Catholic HS c/o 2014
Ohio Wesleyan University c/o 2018
ryanrosenberg
Auron

Post by ryanrosenberg »

Mr. Scogan wrote:
ProfessorIanDuncan wrote:Honestly, it's just Hunter A. It really is up to them if they want to go to NASAT.
Last year, as I'm sure you know, it was Hunter A + Ryan. I've never played you, or anyone from the NYC area before, but I'm pretty sure you'd be good enough to do NASAT. The difference between NYC-land and Pennsylvania/California (where State College and Bellarmine have come from and essentially represented their states at NASAT) is that NYC has a high enough population density and a fairly proportionate amount of good quiz bowl from what I assume for it to warrant some sort of legitimate try-outs for an all-state team.

Hunter A is certainly pretty talented and even if it was just them, they could likely do pretty well. But I think the idea of NASAT is for a great competition, integrating high-quality play on high-quality questions featuring a variety of players on teams that regular competitions like HSNCT/PACE (save for the latter's all-star game) would not allow.
To be accurate, it was 3/4 of Hunter A+a Hunter B player+me.

I haven't heard anything, but I'd encourage those interested in trying out to discuss plans at Prison Bowl, as most of the top NY players will be there. Without any real organizational structure in NY, the burden is on the players to get themselves organized. Last year's selection process was decided wholly by the players; that worked well for our situation, but with a more wide-open field, so to speak, it may make sense to have a more formal tryout procedure.
Ryan Rosenberg
North Carolina '16
NYU '26 (ideally)
ACF
Ithaca Cricket Ump
Wakka

Post by Ithaca Cricket Ump »

I haven't heard anything, but I'd encourage those interested in trying out to discuss plans at Prison Bowl, as most of the top NY players will be there. Without any real organizational structure in NY, the burden is on the players to get themselves organized. Last year's selection process was decided wholly by the players; that worked well for our situation, but with a more wide-open field, so to speak, it may make sense to have a more formal tryout procedure.
Ithaca isn't playing Prison Bowl this year, so Irit wouldn't be available at that point. It's probably best to get in touch with him through this board or his e-mail, or I could also relay messages to him since he, at most, just lurks here. They WILL be attending HSNCT in Atlanta, though, so if some of the metro-NYC stalwarts (the Hunter people, Alec, and the Long Island people) want to meet up with him and get to know him a bit there, I'm sure he'd be up for that.

From having seen a number of upstate tournaments this year, I can say with a fair degree of confidence that Irit is the only New York player outside the metro-NYC circuit who is good enough to possibly make this team. He's a strong generalist, but is especially good in the physical sciences and mathematics, and is the best computer science player that I have ever seen, period.

--Scott
Scott M. Blish
Cheval, FL
Cornell 1990-92, 1997
Tournament Director, BrainBusters Fall
HSNCT moderator 2012-, MSNCT 2013-, SSNCT 2014-, PACE NSC 2013-, NHBB Nationals 2014-
Kouign Amann
Forums Staff: Moderator

Post by Kouign Amann »

Unfortunately, I can't make this year's Prison Bowl, but I would be happy to help organize team NY in future years if people would like.
Aidan Mehigan
St. Anselm's Abbey School '12
Columbia University '16 | University of Oxford '17 | UPenn GSE '19
czheng0708
Lulu

Post by czheng0708 »

HSNCT wouldn't work. GNS isn't going and Cyrus has shown interest in playing at this tournament.
Christopher Zheng
Great Neck South High School '15
University of California, Berkeley '19
marianna
Rikku

Post by marianna »

People who have expressed interest so far have been communicating in a big email thread. If you're interested, contact one of us and we'll add you to the thread.

Tryouts are happening on Skype at Tuesday 5/21 8pm for tossups and Mon 5/20 8pm for bonuses.

14 people are trying out:
Alec Vulfson (Irvington)
Alex Charkin (GNS)
Brent Morden (Hunter)
Cyrus Zhou (GNS)
Emmanuel Nimarko (North Babylon)
Irit Huq-Kuruvilla (Ithaca)
Jonathan Lin (Hunter)
Karina Xie (Hunter)
Marianna Zhang (Hunter)
Max Servetas (North Babylon)
Priya Srikumar (Hunter)
Sarah Hamerling (Hunter)
Willie Ha (Hunter)
Wilton Rao (Hunter)

EDIT (5/13): Specified dates and updated list of people trying out.
EDIT (5/14): More people. And new dates.
EDIT (5/20): Bonuses happened today.
Marianna Zhang (she/her)
Hunter '14 | Chicago '18 | Stanford '24
PACE
marianna
Rikku

Post by marianna »

Thanks go out to Auroni for reading and providing the tryout set and to Zihan for logistics and stat-keeping! Thanks also to everyone who participated in tryouts.

New York will be represented by the following players:
Irit Huq-Kuruvilla (Ithaca)
Wilton Rao (Hunter)
Max Servetas (North Babylon)
Alec Vulfson (Irvington)
Marianna Zhang (Hunter)
Cyrus Zhou (Great Neck South)

EDIT: The roster is HSAPQ-approved now.
Marianna Zhang (she/her)
Hunter '14 | Chicago '18 | Stanford '24
PACE