Knowledge Masters Open

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
solidarity
Lulu

Knowledge Masters Open

Post by solidarity »

How did everyone do on the KMO? State College got a 1798.
Edit: We actually got a 1806, sorry.
Last edited by solidarity on Thu Dec 09, 2004 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jason Ma
Stanford University Quiz Bowl
Host of ACF Fall 2007
jewtemplar
Wakka

Post by jewtemplar »

TJ 1849
eltennis9
Lulu

Post by eltennis9 »

Dunbar - 1680
All the way...
bigtrain
Rikku

Post by bigtrain »

Dunbar - 1680
Walter Johnson got a 1680 too. This isn't the first time we had the same score as another team, unfortunately this time it doesn't matter that much. :cry:
Alex Price
Walter Johnson 2006
Emory University 2010
BroNi
Rikku

Post by BroNi »

Bro. Nigel, Coach, Kellenberg Memorial HS, NY
rchschem
Yuna

Post by rchschem »

Raleigh Charter: 1747
msuter
Lulu

Post by msuter »

Spotswood had 1726
solonqb
Rikku

Post by solonqb »

For those who have never encountered the KMO, can anyone explain to me what it is? I know it's online and has bad puns, but what makes it worth doing? Is is shockingly easy or ACF-level difficult?
Noah Rahman
Welcome to Simbabwe, where the property is already owned and the houses built and you compete to burn and dispossess them. Compete with Robert Mugabe, Canaan Banana, Cecil Rhodes and Sir Godfrey Huggins to earn a place on the all-time EU travel ban list!
pblessman
Rikku

KMO

Post by pblessman »

To Teams in Indiana (out of 26):

1. Harrison 1686
2. Culver Academies 1569

To answer the question in regard to the value of the KMO: We like doing it for three reasons:

1. We don't have to travel.
2. We get to compete against over 800 teams at the same time.
3. We love the puns... no, of course not.
4. The questions are pretty easy, especially as they are multiple choice, but it's still a challenge to answer accurately and quickly.
5. As this is a very different format (team works together), some of the "buzzer shy" players get an opportunity to contribute.
6. They have a separate 9th grade competition so our Freshmen get to play, too.

Those are the main points. My recommendation: Everybody should participate in the KMO! (And I don't get kick-backs...)
jewtemplar
Wakka

Post by jewtemplar »

KMO is kind of fun, but we wouldn't participate for fun alone. Getting a team to function correctly requires everyone to shut up and move on when they get questions wrong, not to chime in with what everyone else is saying, and to have some caution giving an answer when lots of points are at stake. This makes people with positive qb experience competitive at KMO, and makes newer people with positive KMO experience competitive at real quiz bowl.
pakman044
Rikku

Post by pakman044 »

The official results came out tonight on the Academic Hallmarks website; the PDF is at http://www.greatauk.com/kmoh.pdf

This year's mean was 1271.

Top 10:
1. Thomas Jefferson (VA) 197 correct; 1849
2. State College (PA) 196 correct; 1806
3. Montgomery Blair (MD) 195 correct; 1781
4. Auburn (IL) 196 correct; 1777
5. Lakeside (WA) 190 correct; 1755
6. Maggie Walker (VA) 199 correct; 1754
7. Raleigh Charter (NC) 194 correct; 1747
8. Danville (KY) 190 correct; 1744
9. Spotswood (VA) 195 correct; 1727
10. Richard Montgomery (MD) 194 correct; 1726

Patrick King
bigtrain
Rikku

Post by bigtrain »

A few random comments:
I think we can now refer to TJ as the :kenj: of the KMO (and NAQT HS NCT).
Its pretty pathetic that my school only got 3rd in our county...damn magnet schools (Blair and Richard Montgomery) :twisted:
One question: Why did my team get ranked 20th when we had the exact same score as Dunbar who was listed as 19th?
Alex Price
Walter Johnson 2006
Emory University 2010
No Sollositing On Premise
Tidus

Post by No Sollositing On Premise »

They usually use number of questions correct as a tiebreaker between equal point scores. If there's a tie there as well, then you probably got shafted alphabetically.
Mike Sollosi, University of Virginia
astrophysicist2b
Lulu

Post by astrophysicist2b »

kmo is relatively easy, what people usually lose points on is time (seven seconds and under is 10 points, and it decreases down to 5 pts for the first try, second try and you get 2). I could easily answer 75% of the questions myself, if that helps put it in perspective. It's not as evenly distributed as naqt questions either; there's a much larger focus on science and geography from what I've noticed, and less on lit, art, and music (I don't recall any art questions, and music there was only one trash question out of 200 total questions in the competition). I'm not really certain why we do it, as it is definitely our least favorite competition of the year.
Last edited by astrophysicist2b on Fri Dec 10, 2004 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
No Sollositing On Premise
Tidus

Post by No Sollositing On Premise »

astrophysicist2b wrote:btw, tj is not the :kenj: of quiz bowl. they're going down this year, just like the fell to gov school last year in pace.
It would be sort of freaky if TJ were to three-peat NAQT and three-lose PACE, good luck with that, cuz you'll need it.

EDIT: Echo Sam's thoughts down below. Last year's Gov squad was one of the strongest teams I have ever faced. The real fluke was TJ A going 13-0 against Gov before that match; that really shouldn't have happened.

And remember, you'll more than likely have to hack through TJ B if you want a shot at being the Nancy Zerg to TJ's :kenj: . Powe to you
Last edited by No Sollositing On Premise on Fri Dec 10, 2004 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Sollosi, University of Virginia
jewtemplar
Wakka

Post by jewtemplar »

astrophysicist2b wrote:they're going down this year, just like the[y] fell to gov school last year in pace.
Would that be--in one match the entire year against one of the greatest teams ever assembled, in one of the tightest national final rounds ever read, at the end of a rally for the ages largely achieved by one of the best high school quiz bowl players ever to compete? I'd hardly call that "going down," but we will certainly see what we can do to prevent it.

I don't mean to answer with fighting words, but I think it's an insult to last year's Gov team to cast that PACE final as an upset. We'd just been winning a lot of lucky matches against them that year, and unfortunately got served up our loss at a particularly unfortunate time.

See you this Saturday.
eltennis9
Lulu

Post by eltennis9 »

bigtrain,

I think we are listed as 19th because we answered more questions correctly (192) than your team did (189). But, your team answered more questions faster than we did, so you all recieved the same score (1680).
All the way...
msuter
Lulu

Post by msuter »

Regarding same scores, I think KMO goes next to number of questions answered correctly and then second try answers.
jrbarry
Tidus

Post by jrbarry »

Brookwood gave up doing KMO a few years ago.

There was a time when right at 2000 schools participated in the Fall Open. Seems last I looked it was well below that now.
astrophysicist2b
Lulu

Post by astrophysicist2b »

we already did hack through tj b the only time we played them this season. have to work on tj a though. I still don't understand how gov school did it last year... if we continue to play the way we did saturday we'll never even give them a good match. too bad I won't be here next year when they graduate their entire a team (it is everyone, right?). sorry if it seemed like there was any animosity in my previous post... we really do like the tj team, but it would be nice if *someone* could beat them every once in a while... it is like the hope people had of beating :kenj: . hopefully we'll be at the tj tournament in january, but I don't know that we'll actually get to play them again until naqt and pace. our only losses this season have been to tj a, so they're definitely good practice. hey, and if you want to give us some pointers so you can have more competitive matches, feel free. doesn't it get boring slaughtering every team you play?