Rowdy Raider VIII, Dayton, OH (12/7/13) IS-130

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
djones
Wakka

Rowdy Raider VIII, Dayton, OH (12/7/13) IS-130

Post by djones »

The 8th Annual Rowdy Raider Invitational will take place at Northmont High School, Clayton, OH on Saturday, December 7, 2013. We will use NAQT set IS-130.

The initial field cap will be 36 teams, but I will try to open that up if there is interest and I can secure enough competent readers. Each year, this tournament draws an excellent field from Ohio, Kentucky and surrounding states, and we would love to have a large field again this year.

Teams will be broken into 6 preliminary brackets of 6 teams each and will play round robin. At the conclusion of morning play, teams will be re-bracketed into 6 brackets of 6 to play another round robin, with the top 12 teams at the conclusion of preliminary play being eligible for the tournament championship. A championship match will be played between the winners of the two championship flights in the afternoon.

This tournament has also been Platinum Certified by PACE, meaning that the top 25% of the field will qualify for the PACE NSC!!

FEES:
First Team: $70
Each Additional Team: $55
BUZZER DISCOUNT: -$5 per buzzer system, limit one per team that you are bringing.
MODERATOR DISCOUNT: -$10 for a competent moderator. Please let me know in advance if you are planning to claim this discount. Given that this tournament draws a strong field each year and we want the best possible readers available, we may deny some requests.
FIRST TIME ATTENDEE: -$25. If your team has not attended the Rowdy Raider Invitational in the past, you can claim this discount.

To register or for more information, please email djones [AT] northmontschools [DOT] net. I hope to see you in Ohio this December!!
Last edited by djones on Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
David Jones
Coach, Northmont High School
djones
Wakka

Re: Rowdy Raider VIII, Dayton, OH (12/7/13)

Post by djones »

Final Field:
Ballard (KY)
Carroll (OH) (x2)
Cloverleaf (OH)
Copley (OH) (x2)
Detroit Catholic Central (MI)
Dublin Scioto (OH)
Dunbar (KY) (x3)
Dupont Manual (KY) (x3)
Fisher Catholic (OH)
George Washington (WV) (x2)
Loveland (OH) (x2)
Louisville Eastern (KY)
Northmont (OH) (x3)
St. Charles (OH) (x5)
Sidney (OH) (x3)
Tippecanoe (OH) (x2)
Warren G Harding (OH)
Last edited by djones on Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:39 pm, edited 15 times in total.
David Jones
Rountree
Rikku

Re: Rowdy Raider VIII, Dayton, OH (12/7/13)

Post by Rountree »

David,

Please go ahead and put down Chattahoochee as "strongly interested." This should fit nicely into our schedule, but I will need to double-check with the kids before committing 100%. Thanks!
Elliott Rountree
Lambert Coach, 2017-present
Buford Coach, 2014-2015
Chattahoochee Coach, 2004-2014
GATA, 2018-present; 2007-2014
ACE, 2000-2013
djones
Wakka

Re: Rowdy Raider VIII, Dayton, OH (12/7/13) IS-130

Post by djones »

I just learned that we have been assigned IS-130 for the upcoming Rowdy Raider Invitational. We should have an EXCELLENT field, and we hope to see you there!
David Jones
SHM
Lulu

Post by SHM »

P. L. Dunbar would like to bring 2-3 teams.
S. Magedan
Susan, Dunbar
djones
Wakka

Post by djones »

Great! You're in Susan- I marked you down for 2 teams now. Let me know if you plan to bring a third.

Formal invitations went out today for the tournament. We have a hard cap of 36 teams due to construction at our school, so I would encourage teams who plan to attend to register quickly. We have been full each of the last few years. The field should be excellent, with all Ohio powers in attendance, as well as Dunbar (KY), likely Chattahoochee and hopefully many others. We would love to have some more out of state teams as well!
David Jones
djones
Wakka

Post by djones »

15 spots remaining with the addition of St. Charles (OH), Dupont Manual (KY), Dublin Scioto (OH), and George Washington (WV). Great field shaping up!!

Also, this tournament has now been Platinum certified by PACE, meaning that the top 25% of the field will qualify for the PACE NSC.
David Jones
djones
Wakka

Post by djones »

Field is closing in on being 2/3 full and we do not have the opportunity to expand due to construction at our school. Anyone interested in attending should let me know soon as I will be opening the field up to local teams on Friday and expect it to fill quickly. Thanks!
David Jones
djones
Wakka

Post by djones »

Four weeks out from the tournament, we have 4 spots left. Anyone interested can email me- very good field.
David Jones
djones
Wakka

Post by djones »

Only 1-2 spots left with the addition of DCC. Probably going to be the last call!
David Jones
djones
Wakka

Post by djones »

The field is closed at 34 teams. We will do 24 varsity teams, split into 4 prelim divisions of 6 and rebracketing in 4 brackets of 6, with the top two still eligible for the title. All records will carry. The 10 JV teams will play a full round robin with ACF final.

Looking forward to seeing another strong field in Clayton next Saturday!!
David Jones
djones
Wakka

Post by djones »

Twenty teams braved the snow and ice that hit on Friday to come out for this year's Rowdy Raider Invitational. While we lost all of our Kentucky teams due to the ice storm, we still had an excellent field in place.

Northmont defeated DCC in the advantaged final (of which DCC had the advantage by virtue of a 5 point win earlier) to win the championship. The top 8 varsity teams were:

1) Northmont
2) Detroit Catholic Central
3) St. Charles
4) Sidney
5) George Washington
6) Dublin Scioto
7) Fisher Catholic
8) Copley

Stats are coming later today once I get the SQBS files moved over to my computer and can clean up a few things. Thanks to everyone who came out!!!
David Jones
djones
Wakka

Post by djones »

Final stats can be found here: http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournaments/1535

Thanks to everyone for coming out!!
David Jones