Tracking Second and Third Place in the Buzzer Race

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Housecarl Shield Wall
Kimahri

Tracking Second and Third Place in the Buzzer Race

Post by Housecarl Shield Wall »

Earlier this summer, I encountered a curious buzzer set. During our testing, multiple players were able to ring in at once. I was worried at first, but the moderator reassured me that the system was simply tracking which players had buzzed after the winner of a buzzer race. Which got me thinking: What formats use this feature and how does it affect play? Given that I've never seen it before in spite of playing in Illinois, which is likely the most motley state in quizbowl with three different championships in three different formats (though they are becoming increasingly similar in recent years) and varying question quality, I imagine it is reserved for the most gimmicky, :chip:-y formats out there.
Spencer Tracy
Bloomington High School (Illinois), Class of 2015
MLafer
Rikku

Re: Tracking Second and Third Place in the Buzzer Race

Post by MLafer »

This is actually a pretty useful feature for relatively normal formats like shootout. Say person #1 buzzes in and negs -- instead of creating the annoying situation where the next person able to answer is whoever frantically presses the buzzer after the moderator clears it, it gives an advantage to people who were buzzing before the person answered incorrectly and were thus not given the benefit of the additional information that the neg gives.

I think in this situation, much like in say, IRC-based quiz bowl, the person who buzzed in 2nd or 3rd should have the option to 'withdraw' their buzz if they were going in with the same answer as person #1; they would then be able to still buzz in again on the same question.
Matt Lafer
Plymouth Salem 1997-2001
University of Michigan 2001-2005
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

I'm (very slowly) working on a buzzer system that supports singles-play like this (complete with a withdraw button).
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
dwd500
Wakka

Post by dwd500 »

My understanding of this type of system is that it's used by a few bible quiz circuits.
David Dennis
Middle School Choir Director
District Scholar Bowl Coach
Washington, MO

Murray State University, 2001
Breckinridge County High School, KY 1996
Skepticism and Animal Feed
Auron

Post by Skepticism and Animal Feed »

Yes, my understanding is that the buzzer market is largely driven by the needs of Bible bowl, and we should seek our answers on this in the good book, so to speak.
Bruce
Harvard '10 / UChicago '07 / Roycemore School '04
ACF Member emeritus
My guide to using Wikipedia as a question source
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

Post by Adventure Temple Trail »

Ashvin tells me some local Ohio formats require this functionality as well.
Matt Jackson
University of Chicago '24
Yale '14, Georgetown Day School '10
member emeritus, ACF
Realdeo
Lulu

Post by Realdeo »

One of the weakness if perhaps, used in a normal QB is that if all 3 players that buzz-in first came from the same team, well it can be kinda of annoying (but usually first,second,third place machine is not conditioned for a ACF or NAQT QB)
Kerenza Doxolodeo
(SMP ASISI, INDONESIA)
Great Bustard
Auron

Post by Great Bustard »

Mike Bentley wrote:I'm (very slowly) working on a buzzer system that supports singles-play like this (complete with a withdraw button).
Let me know if you get anywhere with this - this would be a very useful feature for History Bee tournaments, especially in regional finals / at Nationals.
David Madden
Ridgewood (NJ) '99, Princeton '03
Founder and Director: International History Bee and Bowl, National History Bee and Bowl (High School Division), International History Olympiad, United States Geography Olympiad, US History Bee, US Academic Bee and Bowl, National Humanities Bee, National Science Bee, International Academic Bowl.
Adviser and former head coach for Team USA at the International Geography Olympiad