UD Fall Tournament - 10/26/13 (Newark, DE)

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
mastaloo
Wakka

UD Fall Tournament - 10/26/13 (Newark, DE)

Post by mastaloo »

The University of Delaware Academic Competition Club is pleased to announce the UD Fall Tournament, which will take place on Saturday, October 26th at the UD campus in Newark, Delaware. We will be using NAQT IS set 127A.

Fees:
First Team: $70
Subsequent Teams: $60
Buzzer System: -$5/ each
Experienced Moderator: -$10/ each

Checks should be written out to Academic Competition Club (U of DE). Payment may be made the morning of the event, or mailed to Academic Competition Club, c/o Student Activities Office, 218 Trabant University Center, Newark, DE 19716.

Location and Timing: The tournament will take place in Memorial Hall, which is centrally located on campus. We recommend parking in either the Visitor's Center lot off of S. College Ave. or the Perkins Parking Garage on Academy St. Memorial Hall can be located on the campus map below:

http://maps.rdms.udel.edu/map/index.php

In terms of timing, registration will run from 8 AM - 8:45 AM, and the opening meeting will last until 9 AM. Preliminary rounds will run roughly until 12 PM, and we hope to finish all rounds by no later than 4:30 PM.

To register, send an email to [email protected] listing the school name and the number of teams, buzzers, and staffers you will be bringing. Hope to see you there!

Field (max 24 teams): (# of teams/buzzers/staffers)
C. Milton Wright (1/1/1)
Charter (4/2/1)
Concord (1/1/0)
Henderson (2/0/0)
GDS (2/3/0)
Last edited by mastaloo on Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:15 am, edited 10 times in total.
Alex Gross
Delaware '14

"I have something to say about the difference between American and European cities. But I've forgotten what it is. I have it written down at home somewhere." - David Byrne
Off To See The Lizard
Wakka

Re: UD Fall Tournament - 10/26/13 (Newark, DE)

Post by Off To See The Lizard »

Has there been any additions to the field? Walter Johnson is interested in attending
Sameen Belal
Walter Johnson '14
New York University '18
mastaloo
Wakka

Post by mastaloo »

As of now, the status of this tournament is on hold. Our administration is being very unhelpful in terms of room reservations, but we're trying our best to rectify the situation. We will know for sure whether this tournament is happening in two weeks, at most.
Alex Gross
Delaware '14

"I have something to say about the difference between American and European cities. But I've forgotten what it is. I have it written down at home somewhere." - David Byrne
Gonzagapuma1
Tidus

Post by Gonzagapuma1 »

Hey, guys! If UD doesn't get word by Friday, then they have generously allowed us (the University of Maryland) to take over the date. If it happens, we will also use IS-128, pending approval by NAQT. If our tournament happens, we are going to have an initial cap of 16 teams, so e-mail me if you would come/have interest at danjpuma at gmail.com. Thanks!
Dan Puma
Alum: Gonzaga, Montgomery College, University of Maryland
Currently Unaffiliated
MAQT President-ish, 2014-2015
Champion of the Modern World, 2014
Former Member, PACE
Frater Taciturnus
Auron

Post by Frater Taciturnus »

Gonzagapuma1 wrote:Hey, guys! If UD doesn't get word by Friday, then they have generously allowed us (the University of Maryland) to take over the date. If it happens, we will also use IS-128, pending approval by NAQT. If our tournament happens, we are going to have an initial cap of 16 teams, so e-mail me if you would come/have interest at danjpuma at gmail.com. Thanks!
Just as a heads-up Dan, IS-128 was used for http://naqt.com/stats/tournament-teams. ... nt_id=5035 so those teams would not be able to play that tournament.
Janet Berry
[email protected]
she/they
--------------
J. Sargeant Reynolds CC 2008, 2009, 2014
Virginia Commonwealth 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013,
Douglas Freeman 2005, 2006, 2007
mastaloo
Wakka

Post by mastaloo »

We will be hosting this tournament for sure now, we apologize for the long delay. However, the field is still close to empty, so start sending in those registrations!
Alex Gross
Delaware '14

The Stately Rhododendron
Rikku

Post by The Stately Rhododendron »

mastaloo wrote:We will be hosting this tournament for sure now, we apologize for the long delay. However, the field is still close to empty, so start sending in those registrations!
We'd really like to go, but we have an It's Academic taping.
IKD
Yale 18
Oakland Mills 14
"I am the NAQT beast I worship."
mastaloo
Wakka

Post by mastaloo »

Note that if funding is an issue, we accept checks by mail after the date of the tournament; mailing information is listed in the original post. We wouldn't want anyone to miss out due to money issues!
Alex Gross
Delaware '14

Pushkin's Beard
Lulu

Post by Pushkin's Beard »

I don't know how committed you are to using IS-128 (or if NAQT lets you change) but I know a lot of teams, mine included, would love to go to this tournament if it were on a set we are allowed to play.
Noah Cowan
Georgetown Day School '15
Schmidt Sting Pain Index
Wakka

Post by Schmidt Sting Pain Index »

Pushkin's Beard wrote:I don't know how committed you are to using IS-128 (or if NAQT lets you change) but I know a lot of teams, mine included, would love to go to this tournament if it were on a set we are allowed to play.
Same situation with Charter.
TWO-TIME HSNCT PARTICIPANT
TWO-TIME NSC PARTICIPANT
THREE-TIME NHBB PARTICIPANT
Varun Wadhwa
Charter School of Wilmington '15
University of Delaware (2013-)
Newark, DE
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Important Bird Area »

Pushkin's Beard wrote:I don't know how committed you are to using IS-128 (or if NAQT lets you change)
We are indeed out of regular-difficulty sets in this area. (128 here and at Princeton. 130 at Charter Fall. 132 at Phoenixville. 134 for Blue Hen. 136 for the state championships.)
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
Off To See The Lizard
Wakka

Yeah this tournament would probably attract a much greater field if it were using any other set. I understand that NAQT sets are not a viable option, but what about a non-NAQT set. I think IMSANITY is available (It's being mirrored on October 19th so it should also be ready for this date) and the closest mirror is in Cave Spring which almost none of the teams in the DC/MD/DE/NJ area would be able to travel to. I understand that this is late but it's worth considering if you guys want to try and host a greater field.
Sameen Belal
Walter Johnson '14
New York University '18
Al Hirt
Wakka

Post by Al Hirt »

Off To See The Lizard wrote:Yeah this tournament would probably attract a much greater field if it were using any other set. I understand that NAQT sets are not a viable option, but what about a non-NAQT set. I think IMSANITY is available (It's being mirrored on October 19th so it should also be ready for this date) and the closest mirror is in Cave Spring which almost none of the teams in the DC/MD/DE/NJ area would be able to travel to. I understand that this is late but it's worth considering if you guys want to try and host a greater field.
According to our region's date claims, High Tech is mirroring IMSANITY?
Shravan Balaji
Academic Team Captain
East Brunswick High School '15
University of Pennsylvania '19
NHBB Mid-Atlantic Regional Coordinator
Off To See The Lizard
Wakka

EBAcademicTeam wrote:
Off To See The Lizard wrote:Yeah this tournament would probably attract a much greater field if it were using any other set. I understand that NAQT sets are not a viable option, but what about a non-NAQT set. I think IMSANITY is available (It's being mirrored on October 19th so it should also be ready for this date) and the closest mirror is in Cave Spring which almost none of the teams in the DC/MD/DE/NJ area would be able to travel to. I understand that this is late but it's worth considering if you guys want to try and host a greater field.
According to our region's date claims, High Tech is mirroring IMSANITY?
Oh oops didn't catch that.
Sameen Belal
Walter Johnson '14
New York University '18
Lo, Marathon Ham!
Wakka

Post by Lo, Marathon Ham! »

Well, there is an A set currently unclaimed in the DC area which some teams in NJ might want to play as well. IS-135A I believe. If a set change is made maybe we can bring a couple teams, but as far as I know most NJ teams have played IS-128 at Princeton and some DC teams played it at VCU. Hopefully, a set change can be made, but if not then it will be a shame to lose the opportunity to play a tournament locally.
Mohan Malhotra
The Independence School '12
Charter School of Wilmington '16
New York University '20
Wilmington, DE/New York City, NY
Important Bird Area

Chunky Sean wrote:Well, there is an A set currently unclaimed in the DC area which some teams in NJ might want to play as well. IS-135A I believe. If a set change is made
135A isn't available until late February.

127A might be available, but would exclude a number of Pennsylvania schools who use it for their local leagues.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
Lo, Marathon Ham!
Wakka

Hmmm...yeah I don't think we have played this set and I am not sure if other teams in the DC area have either. What is the interest for an A set though? I would really like to play this tournament so I would definitely support a set change, but only if it helped enhance the tournament. It wouldn't be good if less teams showed up as a result.
Mohan Malhotra
New York University '20
mastaloo
Wakka

Post by mastaloo »

As of now, only two teams have expressed some interest in playing. I would be glad to use an A-set if it means that more teams would come, and I imagine the two teams currently in the field would be fine with that change as well.
Alex Gross
Delaware '14

Lo, Marathon Ham!
Wakka

Well this seems fine then. We can probably bring a couple teams (around 2-4) hopefully. The only question I can think of right now is whether or not this will be an HSNCT qualifier since it is run on A set?
Mohan Malhotra
New York University '20
dollmi
Lulu

Post by dollmi »

Manheim Township would have come if we had confirmation sooner, or we would still come if the tournament was on a different date. I know that isn't an option at this point, so it looks like we will miss IS 128 this year.

We specifically didn't go to Princeton because we intended to come to this tournament. Our district requires over two weeks to process field trip/check requests, and we were approaching our deadline. When we didn't hear anything, we had to make a decision. So, we opted to make the 4 hour trip to CMU instead. We registered and finalized plans within a few hours of an email stating the tournament was going to happen.
Missy Doll-Osterhout
Coach, Manheim Township High School
Pushkin's Beard
Lulu

Post by Pushkin's Beard »

Chunky Sean wrote:The only question I can think of right now is whether or not this will be an HSNCT qualifier since it is run on A set?
Unless NAQT changed something this year, it would be a qualifier. GDS would send 2 teams if this tournament were on an A-set (or really any set we can play).
Noah Cowan
Georgetown Day School '15
Important Bird Area

Chunky Sean wrote:The only question I can think of right now is whether or not this will be an HSNCT qualifier since it is run on A set?
A-set tournaments qualify teams for HSNCT normally (unless they have eligibility policies that exclude specific players or teams).
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

mastaloo
Wakka

Post by mastaloo »

We have now officially switched to 127-A. This change has been reflected in the original post. Make sure to send me an email to register at [email protected].
Alex Gross
Delaware '14

Howard
Tidus

Post by Howard »

I just noticed we're listed in the field. It's probable we'll be able to come, but I don't have enough commitments to say we'll be there.
John Gilbert
Coach, Howard High School Academic Team
Ellicott City, MD

"John Gilbert is a quiz bowl god" -- leftsaidfred
mastaloo
Wakka

Post by mastaloo »

We still have plenty of room in the field, so keep sending in those registrations!
Alex Gross
Delaware '14

Howard
Tidus

Post by Howard »

Two of the three that were likely for this have become unavailable, so we unfortunately won't be able to make this happen.

I hope everything goes smoothly in our absence.
John Gilbert
Coach, Howard High School Academic Team
Ellicott City, MD

"John Gilbert is a quiz bowl god" -- leftsaidfred
mastaloo
Wakka

Post by mastaloo »

We would like to thank all the teams for coming to the tournament today. Charter A won the tournament in an advantaged final against GDS A. Prelim round robin stats are posted below.

http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournament ... all_games/
Alex Gross
Delaware '14

Corry
Rikku

Post by Corry »

mastaloo wrote:We would like to thank all the teams for coming to the tournament today. Charter A won the tournament in an advantaged final against GDS A. Prelim round robin stats are posted below.

http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournament ... all_games/
That tournament page still lists the set used as NAQT-128, instead of NAQT-127A. Can you update the description? (It really threw me off the first time I looked at it. :P )
Corry Wang
Arcadia High School 2013
Amherst College 2017
NAQT Writer and Subject Editor
Lo, Marathon Ham!
Wakka

Just wanted to point out a stat correction. For the match against us (Charter B), Jaimie from Charter A and Naman from Charter A have been switched...this probably affect Jaimie's individual stats quite a bit since it changes her from a 15 point game to 105 point game. Just wanted to point that out.
Mohan Malhotra
New York University '20
mastaloo
Wakka

Post by mastaloo »

Stats have been updated.
Alex Gross
Delaware '14

Lo, Marathon Ham!
Wakka

Thanks UD for a great tournament! We had a lot of fun playing it! Hopefully next year there can be a bigger field and maybe if a JV division is formed more teams might come...just a thought as there is quite an active middle school field in our area that also may be interested in coming as well as new high school teams. See you at Blue Hen Bowl!
Mohan Malhotra
New York University '20