Earlybird at Illinois - Urbana, IL (10/5/13)

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Locked
bag-of-worms
Lulu
Posts: 41
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:42 pm

Earlybird at Illinois - Urbana, IL (10/5/13)

Post by bag-of-worms » Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:02 pm

This is the official announcement for the Earlybird Tournament, which will be held at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign on Saturday, October 5, 2013.

WHERE and WHEN:

This tournament will take place in Gregory Hall. We will meet in Gregory 213, a lecture hall on the second floor. Registration will occur from 8 am to 8:30 am. There is a parking lot on 6th and Gregory, and another on 6th and Chalmers that is free to park on weekends.

QUESTIONS: We will use BISB.
Adam Silverman wrote:The 2013 Brookwood Invitational Scholars Bowl is seeking mirrors for the 2013-2014 school year. Next year’s set will be entirely written and edited by myself, Adam Silverman, Mostafa Bhuiyan, Brady Weiler, and Kunal Naik. Between us, we have written thousands of quizbowl questions, and I personally have edited three high school sets in the past, so you can be sure of a high-quality set of questions.
FORMAT:
The Earlybird tournament will use mACF format. In particular, Earlybird will be a 4-on-4 tournament; matches will be 20/20, with sudden-death tiebreakers; bonuses are three parts read one at a time, and there will be no bouncebacks.

The set is not powermarked.

In terms of tournament structure, we usually use some form of round robin, followed by rebracketing and an ACF-format final.

WHO WE'RE TRYING TO ATTRACT:
The University of Illinois ABT is pleased to invite all interested teams from any state to attend this tournament. In the past, we've attracted teams from not just Illinois but also Indiana, Michigan, Kentucky, and Missouri; we hope those teams will return and bring their state compatriots. Everyone will have the chance to play good teams on good questions. We're also interested in receiving second, third, ... teams from the same school.

COST:

The base registration fee is $65. Teams may receive a $5 discount for each working buzzer set they bring up to $10, for a minimum registration fee of $55 per team ($45 should staffers be needed). Subsequent teams after the first will be $55. Should we require staffers from schools they will receive a $10 discount per staffer off of their overall registration team.

REGISTRATION:
If you're interested in registration or have any other questions in general, please e-mail me, Austin Listerud, at austinlisterud at gmail dot com. Please use "Earlybird" as your subject line.

FIELD:

Fenton
Bloomington x2
Springfield
Glenwood x2
Rolling Meadows X2
Champaign Centennial
IMSA x2
Auburn x2
University High 2
Stevenson 2
Homewood Flossmoor
The Republic of Wadiya
Legally Ankush
St. Viator

Total: 21
Cap: 24
Last edited by bag-of-worms on Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:16 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Austin
Illinois

User avatar
thrillhouse
Lulu
Posts: 28
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:10 pm
Location: Geographical Oddity - Two weeks from everywhere

Re: Earlybird at Illinois - Urbana, IL (10/5/13)

Post by thrillhouse » Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:24 pm

Bloomington High School (Bloomington, IL) is interested in bringing 2 teams.

Thanks!
Tim Coughlan
Scholastic Bowl Coach, Bloomington High School

adamsil
Wakka
Posts: 218
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:20 pm

Re: Earlybird at Illinois - Urbana, IL (10/5/13)

Post by adamsil » Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:36 pm

bag-of-worms wrote:This is the official announcement for the Earlybird Tournament, which will be held at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign on Saturday, October 5, 2013.

WHERE:

To be determined, but you may expect the tournament to take place in the English Building.

QUESTIONS: We will use BISB.
Adam Silverman wrote:The 2013 Brookwood Invitational Scholars Bowl is seeking mirrors for the 2013-2014 school year. Next year’s set will be entirely written and edited by myself, Adam Silverman, Mostafa Bhuiyan, Brady Weiler, and Kunal Naik. Between us, we have written thousands of quizbowl questions, and I personally have edited three high school sets in the past, so you can be sure of a high-quality set of questions.
FORMAT:
The Earlybird tournament will use mACF format, with powers. In particular, Earlybird will be a 4-on-4 tournament; matches will be 20/20, with sudden-death tiebreakers; bonuses are three parts read one at a time, and there will be no bouncebacks.

In terms of tournament structure, we usually use some form of round robin, followed by rebracketing and an ACF-format final.

WHO WE'RE TRYING TO ATTRACT:
The University of Illinois ABT is pleased to invite all interested teams from any state to attend this tournament. In the past, we've attracted teams from not just Illinois but also Indiana, Michigan, Kentucky, and Missouri; we hope those teams will return and bring their state compatriots. Everyone will have the chance to play good teams on good questions. We're also interested in receiving second, third, ... teams from the same school.

COST:

The base registration fee is $65. Teams may receive a $5 discount for each working buzzer set they bring up to $10, for a minimum registration fee of $55 per team ($45 should staffers be needed). Subsequent teams after the first will be $55. Should we require staffers from schools they will receive a $10 discount per staffer off of their overall registration team.

REGISTRATION:
If you're interested in registration or have any other questions in general, please e-mail me, Austin Listerud, at austinlisterud at gmail dot com. Please use "Earlybird" as your subject line.

FIELD:
The set is not powermarked. Let us discuss this.
Adam Silverman
Georgia Tech 2012-2016
Northwestern 2016-

bag-of-worms
Lulu
Posts: 41
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:42 pm

Re: Earlybird at Illinois - Urbana, IL (10/5/13)

Post by bag-of-worms » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:02 pm

adamsil wrote: The set is not powermarked. Let us discuss this.
I fixed the main post to reflect this.
Austin
Illinois

msacks
Lulu
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:52 pm

Re: Earlybird at Illinois - Urbana, IL (10/5/13)

Post by msacks » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:55 pm

Homewood-Flossmoor is interested in attending (with just one team this year). We will be bringing one buzzer system.

Michael Sacks
Homewood-Flossmoor High School
Mathematics Teacher (Geometry)
Head Boys Tennis Coach
Head Scholastic Bowl Coach
Head Mathletes Coach
Michael Sacks
Homewood-Flossmoor High School
Mathematics Teacher (AP Statistics and Geometry)
Head Scholastic Bowl Coach
Head Mathletes Coach
Head Boys Tennis Coach

RFedewa
Kimahri
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:10 pm

Re: Earlybird at Illinois - Urbana, IL (10/5/13)

Post by RFedewa » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:08 am

Stevenson will definitely be bringing one team, and I am currently asking my players if we have enough for a second one.
Ryan Fedewa
AP Physics 1 and AP Physics C Teacher
Head Coach of Varsity Scholastic Bowl
Sponsor of IGC

Adlai E. Stevenson High School
1 Stevenson Dr. Lincolnshire, IL 60069

Coach G
Lulu
Posts: 52
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:42 am

Re: Earlybird at Illinois - Urbana, IL (10/5/13)

Post by Coach G » Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:18 pm

Rockford Auburn would like to participate, with one team for sure and probably a second one (we're still working on transportation). We'll bring two buzzer systems.
Linda J. Greene
Rockford Auburn Coach

Neva O'Laughlin
Kimahri
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:18 am

Re: Earlybird at Illinois - Urbana, IL (10/5/13)

Post by Neva O'Laughlin » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:20 am

I am interested in bringing one team from Saint Viator High School. I can bring 2 lockout systems and, if necessary, a moderator (not me).
Neva O'Laughlin

User avatar
Dominator
Tidus
Posts: 545
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:16 pm

Re: Earlybird at Illinois - Urbana, IL (10/5/13)

Post by Dominator » Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:33 pm

IMSA would like to bring 2 teams. Formal registration is on its way.
Dr. Noah Prince

Normal Community High School (2002)
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (2004, 2007, 2008)

Illinois Mathematics and Science Academy - Scholastic Bowl coach (2009-2014), assistant coach (2014-2015), well wisher (2015-2016)
guy in San Diego (2016-present)
President of Qblitz (2018-present)

Image

chumes
Kimahri
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:39 pm

Re: Earlybird at Illinois - Urbana, IL (10/5/13)

Post by chumes » Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:08 pm

Stevenson will be sending two teams. Thanks.

User was reminded to enable a signature. --Mgmt.

schen
Lulu
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:43 pm

Re: Earlybird at Illinois - Urbana, IL (10/5/13)

Post by schen » Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:44 pm

Hinsdale Central is interested in attending with 1 team, although we will be competing with an unofficial name. We may have a staffer on hand. I've emailed the email address above for information.
Sunny Chen
Hinsdale Central HS '16
Cal '20

Member of Ankush Club

User avatar
ankmaster
Lulu
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:26 pm

Re: Earlybird at Illinois - Urbana, IL (10/5/13)

Post by ankmaster » Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:13 pm

i agree

User avatar
MLaudermith
Wakka
Posts: 129
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:22 pm
Location: Bensenville, IL

Re: Earlybird at Illinois - Urbana, IL (10/5/13)

Post by MLaudermith » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:17 am

Can someone from the ABT please confirm that Earlybird is still happening on the 5th? If so, where and when does it start?

It's at the point where schools have to make transportation arrangements and we haven't heard a peep from the people running the tournament. If you don't respond within the next day or so, I think some teams will be forced to drop out.
Mike Laudermith, Scholastic Bowl Coach, Fenton High School
IHSSBCA Treasurer

"Where can you belt back a fifth of scotch on the Firth of Forth?"
--geography tossup from the pioneering days of Illinois Scholastic Bowl

touchpack
Rikku
Posts: 327
Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:25 am

Re: Earlybird at Illinois - Urbana, IL (10/5/13)

Post by touchpack » Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:30 pm

MLaudermith wrote:Can someone from the ABT please confirm that Earlybird is still happening on the 5th? If so, where and when does it start?

It's at the point where schools have to make transportation arrangements and we haven't heard a peep from the people running the tournament. If you don't respond within the next day or so, I think some teams will be forced to drop out.
This tournament is definitely still happening. Austin only just got the forms in yesterday, so we should have detailed information available by the end of the week.

Sorry for the huge delay and lack of information.
Billy Busse
Illinois '14
President, ACF
Writer/Subject Editor/Set Editor, NAQT

msacks
Lulu
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:52 pm

Re: Earlybird at Illinois - Urbana, IL (10/5/13)

Post by msacks » Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:29 am

James Garcia (Champaign Centennial coach) also heard from someone running the tournament. I'd assume it's on (with a little trepidation at the lack of contact). HF is still coming with 1 team and 1 buzzer system.
Michael Sacks
Homewood-Flossmoor High School
Mathematics Teacher (AP Statistics and Geometry)
Head Scholastic Bowl Coach
Head Mathletes Coach
Head Boys Tennis Coach

bag-of-worms
Lulu
Posts: 41
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:42 pm

Re: Earlybird at Illinois - Urbana, IL (10/5/13)

Post by bag-of-worms » Sat Sep 28, 2013 4:38 am

I have responded to all of you individually.
I have updated the main post to reflect the location of the tournament.
Austin
Illinois

User avatar
ankmaster
Lulu
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:26 pm

Re: Earlybird at Illinois - Urbana, IL (10/5/13)

Post by ankmaster » Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:23 pm

We already asked you, but Hinsdale Central would like to change our name to Legally Kush Hinsdale.


Thanks

garciaja
Lulu
Posts: 51
Joined: Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:42 pm
Location: Champaign

Re: Earlybird at Illinois - Urbana, IL (10/5/13)

Post by garciaja » Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:30 pm

I thought this question set was pretty dang good. I'm not sure the set's been cleared, but in general terms it was quite good except for some personal critiques. Overall however, I'd give this question set two thumbs up. {edited to be even more general]

The main trouble with this tournament was in its formatting for 21 teams. I'm not sure why the decision was made to go with 21 teams, but please waitlist teams until there is an ideal number (18,20,24) so 3 teams at a time don't have a bye in the prelims, and 3 teams at a time in the playoffs. Additionally, 12 rounds is too many. I know there will be others who debate this, but in a field this size, there surely is a way to have 8-9 rounds with ACF finals rather than 12 rounds for all teams.

Our team left after the first round of playoffs because of the disorganization with the bottom bracket and general untimeliness. The first round was delayed for the arrival of one team and instead of starting around 8:30 we started after 9:15 to my recollection. If all teams have a bye in the prelims, why not have us all start with the round that team has a bye? We left at 4:15 having played just 7 matches on the day, with one bye. This seems like a low number for such a long day. I don't mind having our team lose so many matches, and we like that this tournament is local for us, but I must (and other coaches will as well) reconsider attending this tournament in the future if it is so disorganized.
Last edited by garciaja on Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
James Garcia
Champaign Centennial High School Coach
Player for Springfield Southeast '04

User avatar
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator
Posts: 5491
Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2003 3:33 pm
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Contact:

Re: Earlybird at Illinois - Urbana, IL (10/5/13)

Post by Important Bird Area » Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:55 pm

garciaja wrote:I'm not sure the set's been cleared
The set is not clear (there are a number future tournaments using these questions).
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred

schen
Lulu
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:43 pm

Re: Earlybird at Illinois - Urbana, IL (10/5/13)

Post by schen » Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:33 pm

What time can we expect the stats to be posted?
Sunny Chen
Hinsdale Central HS '16
Cal '20

Member of Ankush Club

User avatar
ankmaster
Lulu
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:26 pm

Re: Earlybird at Illinois - Urbana, IL (10/5/13)

Post by ankmaster » Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:57 pm

When do you expect stats and results to be up?

adamsil
Wakka
Posts: 218
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:20 pm

Re: Earlybird at Illinois - Urbana, IL (10/5/13)

Post by adamsil » Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:38 am

Hey all,

Not sure when stats will be up, but we'd love to hear any feedback/criticism on the set now so that we can get those issues addressed before the next mirror. We've set up a private discussion forum for BISB 2013 which you can access through the User Control Panel. Thanks!
Adam Silverman
Georgia Tech 2012-2016
Northwestern 2016-

User avatar
AKKOLADE
Sin
Posts: 15258
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2003 8:08 am

Re: Earlybird at Illinois - Urbana, IL (10/5/13)

Post by AKKOLADE » Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:38 am

schen wrote:What time can we expect the stats to be posted?
ankmaster wrote:When do you expect stats and results to be up?
Hey mods: can we do something to cut down on these "it's been three hours since the tournament finished, WHERE ARE OUR STAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATS" posts?

Also, protip: maybe you shouldn't try to play a high school tournament under a false name related to drugs?! Just a suggestion.
garciaja wrote:The main trouble with this tournament was in its formatting for 21 teams. I'm not sure why the decision was made to go with 21 teams, but please waitlist teams until there is an ideal number (18,20,24) so 3 teams at a time don't have a bye in the prelims, and 3 teams at a time in the playoffs.
I'm not handwaving the rest of this post, I just wanted to address this one particular point - in theory, having three times with byes at a time is not a problem. If you end up with an odd number of teams but can still do a reasonable schedule where teams only have one or two byes, your schedule is okay. Turning teams away because it doesn't lead to one of the handful of numbers of teams that leads to the most perfect schedule is not a good idea.

Only getting through the prelims at 4 p.m. (if I'm reading your post correctly) is a big problem, of course, but I don't think that can really be blamed on the schedule theory.
Fred Morlan
PACE President, 2018-19
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, co-owner
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
hsqbrank manager, NAQT writer (former subject editor), former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator, 2012 NASAT TD

User avatar
Lagotto Romagnolo
Tidus
Posts: 530
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:43 pm
Location: Alexandria, VA

Re: Earlybird at Illinois - Urbana, IL (10/5/13)

Post by Lagotto Romagnolo » Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:51 am

We found a red, blue, and green jacket after the tournament with the words 'Respect the Game' on the back. Please send me a PM if this is yours. Thanks!
Aaron Rosenberg
Langley HS '07 / Brown '11 / Illinois '14
PACE

User avatar
the return of AHAN
Auron
Posts: 1910
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:40 pm

Re: Earlybird at Illinois - Urbana, IL (10/5/13)

Post by the return of AHAN » Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:28 pm

garciaja wrote: We left at 4:15 having played just 7 matches on the day, with one bye. This seems like a low number for such a long day.
Congratulations, you can now say you've walked a mile in my shoes! I get this result every year, sometimes with only SIX matches. But, tournaments are so sparse at the MS level, I pretty much have to take it for what it is.
Jeff Price, Barrington Station Middle School Coach (2013 MSNCT Champions, 2013 & 2017 Illinois Class AA State Champions)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

schen
Lulu
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:43 pm

Re: Earlybird at Illinois - Urbana, IL (10/5/13)

Post by schen » Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:04 pm

Grams's Go-Go Boots wrote:
schen wrote:What time can we expect the stats to be posted?
ankmaster wrote:When do you expect stats and results to be up?
Hey mods: can we do something to cut down on these "it's been three hours since the tournament finished, WHERE ARE OUR STAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATS" posts?

Also, protip: maybe you shouldn't try to play a high school tournament under a false name related to drugs?! Just a suggestion.
This has only been our second tournament outside of IHSA stuff and Masonics. At the first tournament we attended, stats were posted pretty quickly, so we assumed the same would occur here.

The name was changed by a member of our team without my consent, although we played under the name "Legally Ankush" anyways.
Sunny Chen
Hinsdale Central HS '16
Cal '20

Member of Ankush Club

User avatar
Banned Tiny Toon Adventures Episode
Tidus
Posts: 722
Joined: Sun May 23, 2010 10:03 am

Re: Earlybird at Illinois - Urbana, IL (10/5/13)

Post by Banned Tiny Toon Adventures Episode » Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:29 pm

schen wrote:
Grams's Go-Go Boots wrote:
schen wrote:What time can we expect the stats to be posted?
ankmaster wrote:When do you expect stats and results to be up?
Hey mods: can we do something to cut down on these "it's been three hours since the tournament finished, WHERE ARE OUR STAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATS" posts?

Also, protip: maybe you shouldn't try to play a high school tournament under a false name related to drugs?! Just a suggestion.
This has only been our second tournament outside of IHSA stuff and Masonics. At the first tournament we attended, stats were posted pretty quickly, so we assumed the same would occur here.

The name was changed by a member of our team without my consent, although we played under the name "Legally Ankush" anyways.
Unfortunately the guy who's going to post stats is kind of a college student who has other priorities he needs to take care of before he posts the stats. Sorry to disappoint you
Andrew Wang
Illinois 2016

User avatar
Matt Weiner
Sin
Posts: 8411
Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2003 8:34 pm
Location: Richmond, VA

Re: Earlybird at Illinois - Urbana, IL (10/5/13)

Post by Matt Weiner » Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:31 pm

Martha Dreyer wrote:Unfortunately the guy who's going to post stats is kind of a college student who has other priorities he needs to take care of before he posts the stats. Sorry to disappoint you
Don't pull a Princeton. The moderators of the board have taken care of the excessive "stats" posting. Saying "our team is too busy to properly run a high school tournament but we ran one anyway because reasons" will not help you repair your releationship with the teams who were unsatisfied at the way this tournament ran.
Matt Weiner
Founder of hsquizbowl.org

bag-of-worms
Lulu
Posts: 41
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:42 pm

Re: Earlybird at Illinois - Urbana, IL (10/5/13)

Post by bag-of-worms » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:53 am

garciaja wrote:I thought this question set was pretty dang good. I'm not sure the set's been cleared, but in general terms it was quite good except for some personal critiques. Overall however, I'd give this question set two thumbs up. {edited to be even more general]
Congratulations to Stevenson A.

Stats

I would like to thank Adam, Mostafa, Brady, and Kunal for putting together a great set. There were a few factual errors, but the ones I can think of did not noticeably affect how the questions were played.
garciaja wrote: The main trouble with this tournament was in its formatting for 21 teams. I'm not sure why the decision was made to go with 21 teams, but please waitlist teams until there is an ideal number (18,20,24) so 3 teams at a time don't have a bye in the prelims, and 3 teams at a time in the playoffs. Additionally, 12 rounds is too many. I know there will be others who debate this, but in a field this size, there surely is a way to have 8-9 rounds with ACF finals rather than 12 rounds for all teams.
I agree that I should have capped the field at 18. I also felt that offering fewer than 10 games was unacceptable. We had one of the best crews of readers Illinois has had since I've been here. The timing can be blamed on the format, though I recognize that the format is my fault. Very little happened on the day of the tournament that was not dictated by the 21 team schedule.

An 18 or 24 team schedule would have made things run more smoothly, more timely.
garciaja wrote: Our team left after the first round of playoffs because of the disorganization with the bottom bracket and general untimeliness. The first round was delayed for the arrival of one team and instead of starting around 8:30 we started after 9:15 to my recollection. If all teams have a bye in the prelims, why not have us all start with the round that team has a bye? We left at 4:15 having played just 7 matches on the day, with one bye. This seems like a low number for such a long day. I don't mind having our team lose so many matches, and we like that this tournament is local for us, but I must (and other coaches will as well) reconsider attending this tournament in the future if it is so disorganized.
I intended the tournament to start at 9 from the beginning. This is why I said registration would occur from 8 to 8:30, for teams will invariably show up late. Could you describe the disorganization of the bottom bracket? One team informed me before round 1 that they would be leaving before the playoffs. This added a bye to the bottom bracket. Also, a local team in the bottom bracket left without telling anyone.
Austin
Illinois

schen
Lulu
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:43 pm

Re: Earlybird at Illinois - Urbana, IL (10/5/13)

Post by schen » Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:05 am

I believe that the player "Sayushan", with a ppg of -5, is actually me. I guess my name could sound like that if I mumbled.
Sunny Chen
Hinsdale Central HS '16
Cal '20

Member of Ankush Club

jonah
Auron
Posts: 2297
Joined: Thu Jul 20, 2006 5:51 pm
Location: Chicago

Re: Earlybird at Illinois - Urbana, IL (10/5/13)

Post by jonah » Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:26 am

schen wrote:I believe that the player "Sayushan", with a ppg of -5, is actually me. I guess my name could sound like that if I mumbled.
The version on ihssbca.org has been corrected.
Jonah Greenthal
National Academic Quiz Tournaments

MACROPHAGE
Kimahri
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:43 am

Re: Earlybird at Illinois - Urbana, IL (10/5/13)

Post by MACROPHAGE » Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:52 am

Hi, another correction for hinsdale/legally ankush:
Ayar should be Ayan, and he actually played in rounds 4, 7, 9, and 11 instead of Harrison, so Ayan should have 4.0 games and Harrison should have 6.0. He did not get any tossups for those games so you do not have to worry about points. We have a few other concerns over the stats but will need to look at our stats tomorrow.

Thanks

user was banned for a month for creating a second account to circumvent existing ban --the mgmt
James Zhou
Hinsdale Central '16
Safety Captain

User avatar
AKKOLADE
Sin
Posts: 15258
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2003 8:08 am

Re: Earlybird at Illinois - Urbana, IL (10/5/13)

Post by AKKOLADE » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:17 am

MACROPHAGE wrote:user was banned for a month for creating a second account to circumvent existing ban --the mgmt
I guess you could say he secreted a little too much...

:cool:

IL-1 and IL-6.
Fred Morlan
PACE President, 2018-19
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, co-owner
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
hsqbrank manager, NAQT writer (former subject editor), former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator, 2012 NASAT TD

User avatar
Deviant Insider
Auron
Posts: 4593
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2004 6:08 am
Location: Chicagoland
Contact:

Re: Earlybird at Illinois - Urbana, IL (10/5/13)

Post by Deviant Insider » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:09 am

If the stats are correct, no team left after lunch, and the local team that left early was Coach Garcia's. One team was a no-show for the tournament. The bottom pool had four teams that were actually at the tournament, so they should have been able to play three afternoon rounds and go home by 4:15.
David Reinstein
PACE VP of Outreach, Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo and Masonics (Illinois), TD for New Trier Scobol Solo and New Trier Varsity, Writer for NAQT (2011-2017), IHSSBCA Board Member, IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014), PACE Member, PACE President (2016-2018), New Trier Coach (1994-2011)

garciaja
Lulu
Posts: 51
Joined: Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:42 pm
Location: Champaign

Re: Earlybird at Illinois - Urbana, IL (10/5/13)

Post by garciaja » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:58 pm

ether a go-go wrote:The bottom pool had four teams that were actually at the tournament, so they should have been able to play three afternoon rounds and go home by 4:15.
This is the reason we left. We intended to play 3 matches after rebracketing but our opposing team was a no-show presumably because they thought they had a bye or were playing Fenton, so rather than deal with that mess we took off. It would have been nice for the TD to keep those teams in the auditorium before sending teams off for the "afternoon" so this was properly communicated.
bag-of-worms wrote:I agree that I should have capped the field at 18. I also felt that offering fewer than 10 games was unacceptable. We had one of the best crews of readers Illinois has had since I've been here. The timing can be blamed on the format, though I recognize that the format is my fault. Very little happened on the day of the tournament that was not dictated by the 21 team schedule.
10 rounds is a great amount but not always at the expense of teams' time, especially expecting each team to have two byes. I don't speak for everyone, but in general high school players and coaches are more time-sensitive than collegiate players. This isn't necessarily a bad thing or even a point of conflict, just something to consider.
Grams's Go-Go Boots wrote:I'm not handwaving the rest of this post, I just wanted to address this one particular point - in theory, having three times with byes at a time is not a problem. If you end up with an odd number of teams but can still do a reasonable schedule where teams only have one or two byes, your schedule is okay. Turning teams away because it doesn't lead to one of the handful of numbers of teams that leads to the most perfect schedule is not a good idea.
A waitlist isn't necessarily a bad idea here though.

I know I'm spoiled because I do expect tournaments to have each team scheduled to play without byes and in a format where a winner or at least a top two can be determined by rounds 8-10 or so. This speaks less about my pickiness and complaints, and more to the tournament planning abilities of Coach Coughlan of Bloomington, Coach Adkins of Springfield, Jonah, and Donald among the other TDs in Illinois. I do appreciate the ABT for hosting this event on campus and will likely have teams attend in the future, but I thought this year's event was less ideal than previous.
James Garcia
Champaign Centennial High School Coach
Player for Springfield Southeast '04

User avatar
dtaylor4
Auron
Posts: 3733
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2004 11:43 am

Re: Earlybird at Illinois - Urbana, IL (10/5/13)

Post by dtaylor4 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:18 pm

garciaja wrote:I know I'm spoiled because I do expect tournaments to have each team scheduled to play without byes and in a format where a winner or at least a top two can be determined by rounds 8-10 or so. This speaks less about my pickiness and complaints, and more to the tournament planning abilities of Coach Coughlan of Bloomington, Coach Adkins of Springfield, Jonah, and Donald among the other TDs in Illinois. I do appreciate the ABT for hosting this event on campus and will likely have teams attend in the future, but I thought this year's event was less ideal than previous.
James, thank you for the kind words.

To Austin's credit, I did sit down with him after the tournament and hash out some of the things that could be done better. From what I saw, it was a lot of little things that dragged the tournament down, and the inclement weather during lunch didn't exactly help matters logistically.

From what I saw, there are a lot of strong teams in Illinois, which is scary given that a number of teams were missing key players.

To those wary of returning next year, James is spot-on. The weather should be better (certainly couldn't be worse), and the lessons learned this year will not be repeated.

Locked