Minnesota 2013-2014

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
zachary_yan
Lulu

Minnesota 2013-2014

Post by zachary_yan »

1 Eden Prairie
2 Wayzata
3 St. Thomas Academy
4 Breck
5 De LaSalle
6 Roseville
7 Wayzata B
8 Saint Paul Central
9 Mounds Park
10 Chaska

*Barely Miss: Armstrong, Minnetonka

Breck and Roseville have to show for a tournament this year, so I'm basing their performances off of last year's minus graduates. Otherwise, rankings are based on placement at the first tournament (SOCIAL, an A set). Notably, I deviate from Fred Morlan's rankings in that I'm toss performance over the PPB stat, as most of these teams have played one another already. Nonetheless, PPB is judged in a number of instances.

1 Eden Prairie.
James Wang and co are coming off a great season last year when they finished first or runner up at almost every tournament. James continues to be the main breadwinner for the team, as seen in his SOCIAL performance, but it remains to be seen if Jordan, Reilly, and Neetij can provide support especially on the national stage. Additionally, EP's 25ppb on the SOCIAL A packet is usually manageable by top teams on a IS set, so they clearly still have their work cut out for them.

2 Wayzata
I have been told that Wayzata's talent was spread out during social and even if that's the case they must have some incredible depth this year, given that three out of the 4 top places were theirs. Otherwise a very knowledgeable team, they could learn to be little faster, but more disciplined as well. A tentative national caliber A team would look like Jack Buan, Jayant Chaudhary, Nathan Stocking, and one variable spot.

3 St. Thomas Academy
STA returns most of their A team scoring from last year, including the prolific Walker Lee, and fininshed 5th overall at SOCIAL. They've had top 5 finishes in the last few State Tournaments and league tournaments, but this may be the year they break out and capture the state title again.

Thoughts?
Wayzata '13
St. Olaf College
Wayzata middle schools assistant
Great Bustard
Auron

Re: Minnesota 2013-2014

Post by Great Bustard »

NHBB Minnesota States, on A set this year, will be on 2/15 at U of M in Minneapolis. http://www.historybowl.com/regionalsite ... minnesota/ for details.
David Madden
Ridgewood (NJ) '99, Princeton '03
Founder and Director: International History Bee and Bowl, National History Bee and Bowl (High School Division), International History Olympiad, United States Geography Olympiad, US History Bee, US Academic Bee and Bowl, National Humanities Bee, National Science Bee, International Academic Bowl.
Adviser and former head coach for Team USA at the International Geography Olympiad
ryanrosenberg
Auron

Post by ryanrosenberg »

If anyone is interested in forming a Minnesota NASAT team, please let me know via email or PM. This promises to be the biggest and best NASAT yet, and HSAPQ is very interested in having a team from Minnesota attend.
Ryan Rosenberg
North Carolina '16
NYU '26 (ideally)
ACF
kiestosuccess
Lulu

Post by kiestosuccess »

So, what's the over/under on teams making the playoffs this year? I mean, Eden Prairie and Wayzata A might, but other than that it might not be a great showing this year.
Ian Kies
Saint Thomas Academy '14
University of Wisconsin-Madison '17 (winter)

"I'm the Trash Man! I come out, I throw trash all over the- all over the ring! And then I start eatin' garbage! And then I pick up the trash can, and I bash the guy on the head."

-Frank Reynolds