Academic WorldQuest

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Hobbie Klivian
Lulu

Academic WorldQuest

Post by Hobbie Klivian »

Anybody familiar with the local and/or national stage of this competition? I am under an impression that it is similar to a typical quiz bowl setup, just with more emphasis on current events.

Some information on the subject matter and the format of the questions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Paul Lee

Dunlap '15
Penn '19
Apostolic Prefecture of Kompong Cham
Lulu

Re: Academic WorldQuest

Post by Apostolic Prefecture of Kompong Cham »

I don't think that structure can vary for the different local competitions, and having played the local stage in DC, I can unequivocally say that it is nothing like standard quiz bowl. In my experience, the structure was ten rounds of ten multiple choice questions fitting into ten pre-announced (beginning of the school year) categories. The questions were answered collaboratively and ranged from almost offensively easy current events and geo rounds to questions asking for single statistics that were pretty much just testing whether people had read every minuscule detail of the study guide material. (There is an official study guide that lists all the sources from which they are allowed to draw questions.) Needless to say, since the team was me and three second-semester seniors whose entire preparation consisted of reading a few of the suggested readings the night before, we did very poorly on the latter type of question. To the best of my knowledge, before last year, the competition was not so reading-comprehension heavy, and according to various Blair graduates, was much more enjoyable. The bottom line: Last year it was more of a reading test than a knowledge test, and I don't know if they are planning to revert this year, all I can say is that I sincerely hope so.
Arjuna Subramanian
Montgomery Blair '15
Princeton '19
Caltech '24/'25
Schmidt Sting Pain Index
Wakka

Post by Schmidt Sting Pain Index »

Fighting Bob wrote:I don't think that structure can vary for the different local competitions, and having played the local stage in DC, I can unequivocally say that it is nothing like standard quiz bowl. In my experience, the structure was ten rounds of ten multiple choice questions fitting into ten pre-announced (beginning of the school year) categories. The questions were answered collaboratively and ranged from almost offensively easy current events and geo rounds to questions asking for single statistics that were pretty much just testing whether people had read every minuscule detail of the study guide material. (There is an official study guide that lists all the sources from which they are allowed to draw questions.) Needless to say, since the team was me and three second-semester seniors whose entire preparation consisted of reading a few of the suggested readings the night before, we did very poorly on the latter type of question. To the best of my knowledge, before last year, the competition was not so reading-comprehension heavy, and according to various Blair graduates, was much more enjoyable. The bottom line: Last year it was more of a reading test than a knowledge test, and I don't know if they are planning to revert this year, all I can say is that I sincerely hope so.
Same for us in Delaware, but the competition was really stat heavy my freshman year as well.
TWO-TIME HSNCT PARTICIPANT
TWO-TIME NSC PARTICIPANT
THREE-TIME NHBB PARTICIPANT
Varun Wadhwa
Charter School of Wilmington '15
University of Delaware (2013-)
Newark, DE
Hobbie Klivian
Lulu

Post by Hobbie Klivian »

Thanks for the info. My local competition didn't provide a study guide, so I guess I'll just have to absorb as much info as I can on current events.
Paul Lee

Dunlap '15
Penn '19
Apostolic Prefecture of Kompong Cham
Lulu

Post by Apostolic Prefecture of Kompong Cham »

The study guide is the same for all chapters, and I sent you a PM with the link. If for some reason the link doesn't work, googling "Academic WorldQuest 2013-14" brings it up on the World Affairs Council website.
Arjuna Subramanian
Montgomery Blair '15
Princeton '19
Caltech '24/'25
VishnuRachakonda
Lulu

Post by VishnuRachakonda »

Went to the DC one last year, and only 5 schools participated. It's not hard to qualify for nationals, you just need to devote a couple days to their study guide and know all the stats.
Vishnu Rachakonda
Eleanor Roosevelt '14
Penn '18