Spotswood's ACT II - March 19

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
msuter
Lulu

Spotswood's ACT II - March 19

Post by msuter »

Spotswood's 11th Annual ACT II will be held on March 19.

Format is 5 guaranteed matches of three rounds each: round 1 is 10 tossups with subject-related bonuses; round 2 is a worksheet; and round 3 is 10 tossups without bonuses. The top 16 teams after the prelims (based on W-L record and then points scored), will advance to the single elimination finals. Questions are house-written and cover all subject areas with a smattering of pop culture.

Registration begins about 8:30, team meeting to go over rules at 8:45, and matches at 9:15. We hope to be finished no later than 4:00. Reasonably priced food will be available at the concession stand.

Cost is $50 per team with a $5 per team discount for multiple teams from the same school and a $10 discount for WORKING buzzer systems (max. of 2 per school). The deadline for registering for ACT II is March 4.

Please contact me at [email protected] for more information or registration forms.

Spotswood is located 8 miles east of Harrisonburg, Virginia, in the Central Shenandoah Valley. Harrisonburg is located at the intersection of U.S. 33 and Interstate 81 and has most of the major hotels and motels. The closest airport is Shenandoah Valley Airport (SHD); Richmond and Dulles are each about 120 miles away. We are about 60 miles from Charlottesville, so if you are coming from a distance, this would be a good opportunity to combine competition and a visit to Monticello and/or UVA.
jewtemplar
Wakka

Post by jewtemplar »

According to NAQT's website, that is the same date as the NAQT state championships, held at UVA.
msuter
Lulu

Post by msuter »

The Spotswood tournaments, ACT I (Nov. 20, 2004) and ACT II have been posted on this website since August 2004 and have been on the tournament calendar on this site since early fall.

If UVA chose March 19 as their date for NAQT states, either they didn't do their homework very well or they didn't care that there was another tournament within 60 miles. I have always had a good working relationship with the UVA team, so I am hoping it is the former reason.

We already have a number of teams committed and some teams coming from out of state, and we will stay with ACT II on that date.
bigtrain
Rikku

Post by bigtrain »

What teams do you have registered so far?
Alex Price
Walter Johnson 2006
Emory University 2010
msuter
Lulu

Post by msuter »

So far we have registered (all from Va. unless otherwise noted):
Albemarle (2)
Louisa (3)
Heritage-Lynchburg (2)
Turner Ashby (2)
Stuarts Draft (2)
Parry McCluer (1)
Bassett (1)
Liberty-Bealeton (1)
Walter Johnson - Md. (1)
R.E. Lee (2)
Douglas Freeman (1)
Covenant School (1)
St. Anne's (1) withdrew 3/16
The Wakefield School (1)
E.C. Glass (1)

We have had several teams from W. Va. and one from Ky. ask for info and express interest, but haven't received their registration form yet.

At least two Md. teams that had planned to attend are taping It's Academic and we are apparently hitting spring break for several other teams I've heard from--both in and out of state.

added entries 3/16/05
Last edited by msuter on Thu Mar 17, 2005 3:29 am, edited 3 times in total.
blazer06
Lulu

Post by blazer06 »

We (Montgomery Blair, Silver Spring, MD) might be attending as well.

Also, a question about the format, is there conferring? (waits for cautious yes after playing too much NAQT)

Is it still too late to register?
msuter
Lulu

Post by msuter »

This is a reminder to all teams--Yes, there is still room but get your registration form in soon.

Your coach is on my email list so he should have the last email reminder I sent Feb. 20; if not, email me and I will send another one. At the least, email me with the number of teams and buzzers you are bringing and snail mail your check.

Format is round 1 - 10 10-point tossups (no conferring) with subject-related bonuses (conferring). Round 2 is a 2-minute 10-queston worksheet on a theme and round 3 is 10 20-point tossups without conferring.
blazer06
Lulu

Post by blazer06 »

Thank you, but our team's overriden my plans :mad: :sad: , especially since 2 of our best players have other commitments.
bigtrain
Rikku

Post by bigtrain »

Is this the final list of teams attending? Does Spotswood play in this tournament? What will the question length be like? Am I correct in assuming that the worksheet round has related questions?
Alex Price
Walter Johnson 2006
Emory University 2010
msuter
Lulu

Post by msuter »

I just edited for additions and deletions. Spotswood does not play in ACT II since a number of questions have been written by team members.

The questions are fairly pyramidal but not excessively long and the bonuses are subject related or at least in the same field as the tossups. The worksheets are on a theme--a letter of the alphabet, a year, etc. but we have tried to vary the content area within the theme.

I sent tournament rules and directions to the school to all the coaches involved yesterday, so you can ask your coach to see the rules.

Looking forward to seeing you Saturday.
msuter
Lulu

Post by msuter »

Congratulations to Walter Johnson of Bethesda, Md., who defeated Liberty of Bealeton, Va., in the championship. Will give more detailed results tomorrow.
msuter
Lulu

Post by msuter »

Results from Spotswood’s ACT II Tournament on March 19

Finals: Walter Johnson 310
Liberty-Bealeton 120

Semifinals: Walter Johnson 230
Douglas Freeman 205

Liberty-Bealeton 195
Heritage A 110

Quarters: Walter Johnson 310
Parry McCluer 145

Douglas Freeman 230
Albemarle A 185

Heritage A 225
Bassett 165

Turner Ashby A 175
Liberty 255

Octofinals 1 - Walter Johnson 320
16 - Wakefield School 120

9 – Parry McCluer 150
8 – Heritage B 120

5 – Douglas Freeman – 250
12 – Louisa Co. A 155

13 – Stuarts Draft A 130
4 – Albemarle A 235

3 – Heritage (Lynchburg) A 175
14 – Louisa Co. C 55

11 – Bassett 170
5 – Covenant 110

7 – Turner Ashby A 270
10 – Stuarts Draft B – 80

15 – E.C. Glass 55 (all freshmen playing their first tournament) :smile:
2 – Liberty 355

We ended up with 18 teams. Thanks to all who participated for a great day of competition and sportsmanship! Results have been posted on the tournament calendar.
edited to correct score
Last edited by msuter on Mon Mar 21, 2005 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
STPickrell
Auron

Post by STPickrell »

I think Heritage A defeated Bassett 225-165. :-)
Shawn Pickrell, HSAPQ CFO
msuter
Lulu

Post by msuter »

You're right, Shawn. Thanks for picking up my typo :smile: I've corrected it on the results.