Typos and such

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
ScoBo
Wakka

Typos and such

Post by ScoBo »

Reading at WUHSAC today, I noticed the following:

Round 2, tossup 9:
Mozart’s Kegelstatt Trio was written for this instrument, viola, and piano.
Would this be technically better to phrase "Mozart’s Kegelstatt Trio was written for viola, piano, and this instrument." so that "viola" and "piano" are eliminated as possible answers before "this instrument"?

Round 3 bonus 10:
It's Barney Stinson, not Stimson

Apparent grammar/spelling issues:

Round 2, bonus 5: "Debussy’s wrote 2 books of piano pieces in this genre"

Round 4 tossup 12: Another of his portraits shows soldiers pushing canons in the background

Round 4 bonus 1: One of Foster’s best-known song was this one

Round 4 bonus 14: is "Dehli" an incorrect spelling here?

Round 4 bonus 18: Hogarth depicted soldiers and a priest looking at a large piece of roast in work titled for this city.

Round 5 tossup 13: "based on first theme of its second movement" -- should this say "based on the first theme"?

Round 5 bonus 6: Named this conflict fought over control of the Río de la Plata region

Round 6 bonus 14 part 2 was formatted as:
[10] This children’s author also penned adult short stories such as "The Landlady." He depicted Mary killing her husband with a haunch of meat, which she then feeds to detectives, in
.0 "Lamb to the Slaughter."
(with a line break before the title and a stray ".0" preceding it.

Round 8 bonus 9: which was passed during the World War I

Round 8 bonus 16 part 2: "Stopping by Woods on a Snowing Evening"

Round 8 bonus 17 part 2: typo "Heraclers"

Round 8 bonus 18 part 2: "Jimmy Stewart play the wheelchair-bound photographer Jeff Jeffries in this film."

Round 9 tossup 17: says "for 10 points each"

Round 9 tossup 20: typo "fatheirng"

Round 9 bonus 6: In Greek mythology, its god Helios drive across the sky in a chariot.

Round 9 bonus 19: is "strugs" supposed to be "struggles"?

Round 10 tossup 1: For 10 points, name this weapon used to by Paris to target Achilles' heel

Round 10 tossup 3: "Another of these, had a figure of Saint Peter added to it in the 1300s, depicts a siege of Dacia, and was built at Apollodorus of Damascus's behest." - should this be "Another of these, which had..."?

Round 10 tossup 17: Is "IQ" promptable? (Would someone saying "intelligence quotient" have been acceptable?)

Round 10 bonus 1: "In novel titled for one of these locales" - should this be "In a novel"?
Jeffrey Hill • Missouri Quizbowl Alliance president • UMR/Missouri S&T 2009 • Liberty (MO) 2005
Post your tournaments, SQBS reports, and question sets to the Quizbowl Resource Center Database!

Charbroil
Auron

Re: Typos and such

Post by Charbroil »

Round 6, Bonus 8:

The Zero wasn't a jet; you can just take that word out of the bonus.
Charles Hang
Francis Howell Central '09
St. Charles Community College '14
Washington University in St. Louis '19 (President, 2017-19)

Owner, Olympia Academic Competition Questions, LLC
Question Writer, National Academic Quiz Tournaments, LLC and National History Bee and Bowl

Grace
Wakka

Post by Grace »

Many thanks for your for your heroic typo hunting! We will have all of these fixed by our next mirror. Thanks so much for pointing them out.
Grace Liu
MIT (no graduation because hahaha what a joke)
Yale University '16
High Technology High School '12

Urech hydantoin synthesis
Tidus

Post by Urech hydantoin synthesis »

In round 12, the tossup on Robert Browning, the leadin says "one of this works" or something along those lines.
Ben Zhang

Zucker School of Medicine at Hofstra/Northwell '23
Columbia University '18
Ladue Horton Watkins HS '14

Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

Post by Adventure Temple Trail »

Round 10 tossup 17: Is "IQ" promptable? (Would someone saying "intelligence quotient" have been acceptable?)
I added a specific "do not accept or prompt on 'IQ' or 'intelligence quotient'" instructions here.
Matt J.
ex-Georgetown Day HS, ex-Yale
member emeritus, ACF

Try my original crossword puzzles

AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Good God, why couldn't you guys take 10 minutes to go through and make sure questions didn't extend onto new pages?
Fred Morlan
PACE President, 2018-19
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, co-owner
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
hsqbrank manager, NAQT writer (former subject editor), former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator, 2012 NASAT TD

The Stately Rhododendron
Rikku

Post by The Stately Rhododendron »

In TU 13 of Round 2 (answerline Mckinley), a certain Isaac Loften is mentioned as a postmaster that was reassigned by Mckinley. I couldn't find anything about "Isaac Loften" online in relation to Mckinley, was he in a book somewhere?
IKD
Yale 18
Oakland Mills 14
"I am the NAQT beast I worship."

pleasewalkforward
Wakka

Post by pleasewalkforward »

Mr. Joyboy wrote:In TU 13 of Round 2 (answerline Mckinley), a certain Isaac Loften is mentioned as a postmaster that was reassigned by Mckinley. I couldn't find anything about "Isaac Loften" online in relation to Mckinley, was he in a book somewhere?
Found it in a book online, but my computer with it bookmarked is being repaired. Will get back to you. It is probably (much) too hard a clue, I'll admit, but McKinley's record on race seemed like a good, generally unexplored quizbowl-wise place to find a new lead-in.
Jacob Lawrence Wasserman
Saint Anselm's Abbey School, '12
Yale University, '16
University of California, Los Angeles, '19
Former Treasurer and Member, Yale Student Academic Competitions
Former Secretary, Staff Recruitment Volunteer, and Member, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence