Driving to FAR AWAY Tournaments

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
quizbowllee
Auron

Driving to FAR AWAY Tournaments

Post by quizbowllee »

Just out of curiosity, what is the greatest distance you have ever DRIVEN to a quiz bowl tournament? Flying doesn't count!

I am driving my team from West Point High School to the SSNCT in Minneapolis in a couple of weeks. According to Google Maps, it is 1,007 miles away. Does anyone have that beat?
Lee Henry
AP Lit and APUSH Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
President-Elect/Past President- Alabama Scholastic Competition Association (ASCA)
jonah
Auron

Re: Driving to FAR AWAY Tournaments

Post by jonah »

quizbowllee wrote:Just out of curiosity, what is the greatest distance you have ever DRIVEN to a quiz bowl tournament? Flying doesn't count!

I am driving my team from West Point High School to the SSNCT in Minneapolis in a couple of weeks. According to Google Maps, it is 1,007 miles away. Does anyone have that beat?
Wayzata, and perhaps other Minneapolis-area teams, drove to the HSNCT in Atlanta (at least in 2013, maybe in other years). Google maps says 1,123 miles.

(I don't know that that's the most, though.)
Jonah Greenthal
National Academic Quiz Tournaments
zachary_yan
Lulu

Post by zachary_yan »

Yeah, last year we took coach bus from MN to ATL (Saint Paul central was going to tag along, but later dropped out of HSNCT). One reason our coach, Meaghan Decker, decided to take a bus instead of flying, which we usually do, was because we were bringing a total of 31 people, so it saved money compared to paying for individual plane tickets. We were also hauling other MN team's buzzer sets to Atlanta (12 total). A one way trip was 24 hours (left Thursday at 3pm and got to ATL Friday same time), with only three short stops for meals. While the road trip was actually sort of fun ,it seemed like a waste of time in retrospect. Also, there isn't much else to do on a bus than study, so there's that, although you don't really get carsick doing that on a bus.
Last edited by zachary_yan on Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wayzata '13
St. Olaf College
Wayzata middle schools assistant
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

A group of Canadians from Toronto and Ottawa drove to Alabama for DRAGOON last fall, a trip that's more than 1,500 miles.
Nicholas C
KQBA member
Cassian
Lulu

Post by Cassian »

Last year, LASA took a bus to HSNCT from Austin. We had 21 people, so we thought a small bus would save money and we could practice and all that. It was only about 950 miles one way, BUT...

Our bus driver got lost. More than once. Before we made it ten miles. And apparently didn't understand quite how to keep the bus within one lane on the highway.
Two team members ended up with VERY BAD motion sickness in hour four (Houston). Use your imagination.
In hour five (east Texas), the air conditioner started to go out. Temp in the high 80s.
By hour eight (Baton Rouge, LA), the air conditioner was completely out. Temp in the low 90s. At least by this point we had a new driver.
In hour 12 (near Mobile, AL), we hit traffic. Lots of traffic. Temp in the mid 90s.
Even more traffic in Montgomery (about hour 15). Still no AC
We arrived at the hotel after nearly 20 hours on the bus, for a trip that should have taken about 15.

Once we got to Atlanta, the bus company assured me they would fix the AC. They didn't. At least we drove overnight on the way home. And the trip back took closer to 16 hours.

Anyway, 'The Quiz Bowl Bus Trip from Hell' didn't end up all bad necessarily, but LASA QB has adopted a policy of NEVER chartering a bus again.
Jason Flowers
Quiz Bowl Coach
The Liberal Arts and Science Academy
Austin, TX
ryanrosenberg
Auron

Post by ryanrosenberg »

Cassian wrote:Last year, LASA took a bus to HSNCT from Austin. We had 21 people, so we thought a small bus would save money and we could practice and all that. It was only about 950 miles one way, BUT...

Our bus driver got lost. More than once. Before we made it ten miles. And apparently didn't understand quite how to keep the bus within one lane on the highway.
Two team members ended up with VERY BAD motion sickness in hour four (Houston). Use your imagination.
In hour five (east Texas), the air conditioner started to go out. Temp in the high 80s.
By hour eight (Baton Rouge, LA), the air conditioner was completely out. Temp in the low 90s. At least by this point we had a new driver.
In hour 12 (near Mobile, AL), we hit traffic. Lots of traffic. Temp in the mid 90s.
Even more traffic in Montgomery (about hour 15). Still no AC
We arrived at the hotel after nearly 20 hours on the bus, for a trip that should have taken about 15.

Once we got to Atlanta, the bus company assured me they would fix the AC. They didn't. At least we drove overnight on the way home. And the trip back took closer to 16 hours.

Anyway, 'The Quiz Bowl Bus Trip from Hell' didn't end up all bad necessarily, but LASA QB has adopted a policy of NEVER chartering a bus again.
Take note, high school quiz bowl coaches: if you want to win HSNCT, replicate this trip.
Ryan Rosenberg
North Carolina '16
ACF
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

A few years ago for either NSC or VCUO (we drove both, but I don't remember which trip this was) the Minnesota caravan went through West Virginia to pick up Fred Morlan, resulting in a roughly 1200-mile trip. Doesn't beat Canada -> Alabama though!

EDIT: I have been reminded that this trip in particular was VCUO.
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Ukonvasara wrote:A few years ago for either NSC or VCUO (we drove both, but I don't remember which trip this was) the Minnesota caravan went through West Virginia to pick up Fred Morlan, resulting in a roughly 1200-mile trip. Doesn't beat Canada -> Alabama though!

The Funvee was for VCUO. Getting you guys on a back road was pretty hilarious.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

Dr. Loki Skylizard, Thoracic Surgeon wrote:
Ukonvasara wrote:A few years ago for either NSC or VCUO (we drove both, but I don't remember which trip this was) the Minnesota caravan went through West Virginia to pick up Fred Morlan, resulting in a roughly 1200-mile trip. Doesn't beat Canada -> Alabama though!

Pictured: screenshot from a documentary about Fred's house

While in West Virginia we also learned a valuable lesson about what is and is not an actual road, and more specifically what is and is not a big pile of gravel.
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Ukonvasara wrote:
Dr. Loki Skylizard, Thoracic Surgeon wrote:

Pictured: screenshot from a documentary about Fred's house

While in West Virginia we also learned a valuable lesson about what is and is not an actual road, and more specifically what is and is not a big pile of gravel.
I told you guys I lived back a way on a side road off a highway. You all stopped about a mile and a half off said highway, which I've decided is the maximum radius of any road in Minneapolis.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

Charter buses don't count either! I'm talking about DRIVING to a tournament, not RIDING to a tournament! :party:

Seriously, though, I have utmost respect for anyone willing to do this. I'm just praying that we don't hit traffic and can make the trip in about 16 hours with stops. We're going to take a quick stop at the Gateway Arch. Anything else worth stopping for between Alabama and Minnesota?
Lee Henry
AP Lit and APUSH Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
President-Elect/Past President- Alabama Scholastic Competition Association (ASCA)
TylerV
Wakka

Post by TylerV »

We drove to HSNCT in Atlanta last year from northern Illinois(~800 miles) and we'll be driving to Kentucky(~450 miles) in three weeks

Our HSNCT trip was possibly the most fun experience I've ever had in quiz bowl but we did stop overnight both on the way there and the way back which might have stopped any sort of cabin fever,
Tyler Vaughan
UW-Platteville, Rock Valley, UIUC 2014-2017
Southern New Hampshire University 2020 - ?

"God the automatic cat feeder might be the best invention ever" - Brad McLain
Windows ME
Wakka

Post by Windows ME »

GymnogypsCalifornianusWKU wrote:A group of Canadians from Toronto and Ottawa drove to Alabama for DRAGOON last fall, a trip that's more than 1,500 miles.
It's more than 1500km, actually. It's nowhere near 1500 miles.

My teammates probably have everyone beat because they are insane. They drove from Edmonton to Chicago for ICT. That's a 27 hour drive and I think they left on the WEDNESDAY. By comparison, the Toronto-Alabama trip is only 16 hours.

... and then they drove back.
Sinan U.
U of Toronto 2010
U of Alberta 2015
Nick
Wakka

Post by Nick »

We've been told that one father will be driving his son from Anchorage to Atlanta (almost 4,300 miles) for the National History Bee's National Finals (middle school division) this June.
Nick
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

Partido Galeguista wrote:
GymnogypsCalifornianusWKU wrote:A group of Canadians from Toronto and Ottawa drove to Alabama for DRAGOON last fall, a trip that's more than 1,500 miles.
It's more than 1500km, actually. It's nowhere near 1500 miles.

My teammates probably have everyone beat because they are insane. They drove from Edmonton to Chicago for ICT. That's a 27 hour drive and I think they left on the WEDNESDAY. By comparison, the Toronto-Alabama trip is only 16 hours.

... and then they drove back.
I didn't even to bother to check if Google Maps was giving me figures in kilometers or miles. Darn my America-centric measurements of distance. Ottawa to Tuscaloosa is somewhere between 1200 and 1300 miles, which is impressive in its own right, but doesn't match Edmonton to Chicago.
Nicholas C
KQBA member
wd4gdz
Tidus

Post by wd4gdz »

I can't top Alaska to Atlanta, but I once drove ~1,000 miles from Tallahassee to Ann Arbor for 2006 ACF Nats, ~900 miles from Tallahassee to College Park for 2006 ICT, and ~800 miles from Tallahassee to St. Louis for 2008 ICT.
Billy Beyer, formerly of FSU
dollmi
Lulu

Post by dollmi »

Last year we drove a school van from Pennsylvania to Atlanta for HSNCT. That is less than 800 miles, but the trip was long enough!

Others made longer trips, but last year we put 4,479 miles on school vans.
Missy Doll-Osterhout
Coach, Manheim Township High School
Great Bustard
Auron

Post by Great Bustard »

I drove 60,000 miles the first year of NHBB, getting it off the ground, or something like an average of 170 a day. And that was in a 2005 Chevy Cobalt, so it's a wonder I'm still alive. Highlights included driving overnight to Alabama from NJ, running the tournament on an all nighter and passing out in a Motel 6 face down on the bed while I was still wearing my jacket immediately thereafter. Then there was the time I did an all night drive from New Orleans via Baton Rouge to Ola in Georgia, ran another tourney on an all nighter, and then drove to New Jersey the next day. This year's highlight was directing our 20 team event (3 divisions, bee and bowl) in Singapore on two hours of sleep, then missing my flight to Kuala Lampur. So I hired a cab for $350.00 to drive me the 6 hours to KL from Singapore. He got totally lost, so I got no sleep, and then I had to go direct an 18 team event in Malaysia the next day. At least I avoided Malaysia Airlines...
David Madden
Ridgewood (NJ) '99, Princeton '03
Founder and Director: International History Bee and Bowl, National History Bee and Bowl (High School Division), International History Olympiad, United States Geography Olympiad, US History Bee, US Academic Bee and Bowl, National Humanities Bee, National Science Bee, International Academic Bowl.
Adviser and former head coach for Team USA at the International Geography Olympiad
Coelacanth
Rikku

Post by Coelacanth »

Not really germane to this thread, but we once had a player with a fear of flying. He traveled from St Paul to Los Angeles by TRAIN, which requires going via Chicago.

Not driving, I know, but had the train option not been available he would have gone by Greyhound bus.
Brian Weikle
I say what it occurs to me to say when I think I hear people say things. More, I cannot say.
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

We have a kid who is deathly afraid of flying, too. That's one small reason that we're driving.

I'm not sure what we'll do if a future SSNCT or HSNCT is held somewhere REALLY far away like Seattle or Los Angeles.
Lee Henry
AP Lit and APUSH Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Important Bird Area »

We do not anticipate holding a high school national championship on the west coast, precisely because it would impose the cost of air travel on so many more teams.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
The Ununtiable Twine
Auron

Post by The Ununtiable Twine »

Hey guys, most of you are like totes diminishing Jordan's accomplishment here. Most of these trips that have been taken were to national tournaments, where there's a ton of incentive. Canadians came to Alabama for little more than playing a southern quizbowl tournament on a non-football weekend in a town with nothing relevant besides a football team and a great Thai restaurant (roll Thai). This is the power of the Sundberg/Palmer rivalry, one of the best rivalries in quizbowl today. They drove that far so Jordan could play against ME in a tournament consisting of Canadians, half-teams, Adam Silverman, and ME. That is an achievement only the be outdone by the Alaska trip mentioned earlier in the thread. Even then my rivalry with Palmer is tied at 3 so don't be surprised if he convinces Canadians to travel to Louisiana to break the tie!
Jake Sundberg
Louisiana, Alabama
retired
tiwonge
Yuna

Post by tiwonge »

Boise to Vancouver for VETO (638 miles). Not a national tournament. Done twice.

Boise to Atlanta by way of Columbus (to visit grandparents) and Syracuse (to visit a sister) and other places that were not quite as out of the way (3421+ miles), HSNCT. Return trip was closer to 2500 miles.

Two of these three trips were a solo trip. The second time going to VETO, I drove went with a friend.
Colin McNamara, Boise State University
Member, PACE
Idaho Quiz & Academic Teams
scquizbowl
Wakka

Post by scquizbowl »

When I played at James Island, we drove twice to Nashville (about 550 miles or so). One drive was to Ezell-Harding, the other to a tournament at Vanderbilt. We flew to Boston, New Orleans and to Chicago when we played there. Except for 3-4 tournaments in-state every year, we drove about 250-350 miles for most tournaments. Athens is about 250 or so, and the Atlanta area tournaments were usually 300-320. We overnighted for most though.

Driving from Edmonton to Chicago or Alaska to Atlanta is unbelievable.
Joe
James Island '10
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

If anyone cares, we made it to Minneapolis in 16 hours, 44 minutes, and 21 seconds.

Ready for SSNCT!
Lee Henry
AP Lit and APUSH Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
Southern Double-collared Sunbirb
Lulu

Post by Southern Double-collared Sunbirb »

The IMSA team drove from Aurora to Columbia, MO in October 2012 (357 miles).

As for me personally, I staffed ICT less than 24 hours after returning from a 3000-mile long college visit/roadtrip/vacation. One could say I travelled in a very circuitous route to the tournament.

EDIT: For me, the trip started immediately after leaving the IHSA state championships. So I took an equally circuitous route home from a quizbowl tournament.
Maia Karpovich
IMSA (2011-2014)
Oklahoma (2014-2018)
she/they