Page 1 of 1

Is there a space between "quiz" and "bowl"?

Posted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:08 pm
by bmcke
I really want to learn / decide on a correct spelling, here. One spelling is more common in the media. Another spelling is in the header of these forums.

Re: Is there a space between "quiz" and "bowl"?

Posted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:23 pm
by Cody
quizbowl.

Re: Is there a space between "quiz" and "bowl"?

Posted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:01 pm
by AKKOLADE
quiz bowl

Re: Is there a space between "quiz" and "bowl"?

Posted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:44 pm
by Nine-Tenths Ideas
The Quizbowl Tribune stylebook has always maintained that "Quizbowl" is one word, and is unnecessarily capitalized.

Re: Is there a space between "quiz" and "bowl"?

Posted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:45 pm
by Auks Ran Ova
My preferred spelling is, and always has been, xXxQuIzBoWl420xXx.

Re: Is there a space between "quiz" and "bowl"?

Posted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:56 pm
by The Time Keeper
As long as it isn't Aerith.

Re: Is there a space between "quiz" and "bowl"?

Posted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:53 pm
by theMoMA
The NAQT style guide mandates staunch "quiz bowl" partisanship. Most newer circuit folks go with "quizbowl." Hopefully we can all come together with peace, love, and a mutual understanding that "quiz-bowl" is just dumb, and that hyphens should be reserved almost entirely for compound adjectives that don't include -ly adverbs, and that this is super serious business, and that anyone who disagrees should be shouted down until they go away.

Re: Is there a space between "quiz" and "bowl"?

Posted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:26 pm
by ScoBo
I was originally more with the "quiz bowl" camp, but since we founded the Missouri Quizbowl Alliance I've pretty much exclusively used quizbowl, to the point where I frequently find myself typing "quizb" before I realize that wasn't the word starting with "qu" I wanted to type. Of course, I was never a member of a "quiz bowl" program - it was "scholar bowl" in high school and "ACO" (Academic Competition Organization) in college, so I wasn't too attached to the space.

Re: Is there a space between "quiz" and "bowl"?

Posted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:08 am
by alexdz
Like Jeff, I've been a "quiz bowl" person for a while. But being involved in MOQBA has led me to become accepting of the "quizbowl" community as well.

Re: Is there a space between "quiz" and "bowl"?

Posted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:13 am
by Rococo A Go Go
I am a big fan of the quiz bowl. It is a nice bowl.

*I think I exclusively use quizbowl. It's easier and is more aesthetically pleasing in my opinion.

Re: Is there a space between "quiz" and "bowl"?

Posted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:42 am
by Chimalpahin Quauhtlehuanitzin
The only reason I use the space in tournament announcements/emails/for checks is that the club is actually called "Vanderbilt Quiz Bowl" on our website, and many coaches here call the game "quiz bowl". I am, however, a quizbowler.

Re: Is there a space between "quiz" and "bowl"?

Posted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:29 pm
by dxdtdemon
theMoMA wrote:The NAQT style guide mandates staunch "quiz bowl" partisanship. Most newer circuit folks go with "quizbowl." Hopefully we can all come together with peace, love, and a mutual understanding that "quiz-bowl" is just dumb, and that hyphens should be reserved almost entirely for compound adjectives that don't include -ly adverbs, and that this is super serious business, and that anyone who disagrees should be shouted down until they go away.
Except in French, where it should be called "le quiz-bowl"

Re: Is there a space between "quiz" and "bowl"?

Posted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:41 pm
by Galadedrid Damodred
I use quizbowl or Quiz Bowl interchangeably, but I prefer quizbowl because you can use it as a verb. I don't like splitting it into two words without capitalizing.

Re: Is there a space between "quiz" and "bowl"?

Posted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:17 pm
by The Polebarn Hotel
I instinctively type "quiz bowl," but it honestly doesn't make a difference.
As for the other usage, I just say ballin and baller/balla[h] when describing it. Quizbowling and quizbowler sound terrible to me.

Re: Is there a space between "quiz" and "bowl"?

Posted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:30 pm
by heterodyne
Crazyflight wrote: As for the other usage, I just say ballin and baller/balla[h] when describing it.
This does have the unfortunate side effect of making you sound like a total tool.

Re: Is there a space between "quiz" and "bowl"?

Posted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:14 pm
by The Polebarn Hotel
Turner Island wrote:
Crazyflight wrote: As for the other usage, I just say ballin and baller/balla[h] when describing it.
This does have the unfortunate side effect of making you sound like a total tool.
how to respond

Re: Is there a space between "quiz" and "bowl"?

Posted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:09 pm
by Joshua Rutsky
Logic would imply that since we don't play in the Rosebowl or the Orangebowl, we don't play quizbowl, either. The bowl half of the phrase is, I would assume, referring to the prize would be awarded for the competition, and quiz is the adjective describing it.

But heck, I'm from Alabama, and we play that there Scholars Bowl game, not some highflaootin' quiz thingywhatsit. 'Sides, we can't agree on whether there's an apostrophe in Scholars.

Re: Is there a space between "quiz" and "bowl"?

Posted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:23 pm
by Urech hydantoin synthesis
Yes, but we don't call HSNCT/NSC/ICT/Nats the Quiz Bowl, and nor do we call the game played with a strangely shaped "ball" Foot Ball.

Re: Is there a space between "quiz" and "bowl"?

Posted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:25 pm
by zachary_yan
wikipedia wrote:Although there is no universally agreed-upon guideline regarding the use of compound words in the English language, in recent decades written English has displayed a noticeable trend towards increased use of compounds. Recently, many words have been made by taking syllables of words and compounding them, such as pixel (picture element) and bit (binary digit). This is called a syllabic abbreviation.
I guess it also looks like "quibowl" might become the word of choice in the future...

Re: Is there a space between "quiz" and "bowl"?

Posted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:37 pm
by The Polebarn Hotel
zachary_yan wrote:
wikipedia wrote:Although there is no universally agreed-upon guideline regarding the use of compound words in the English language, in recent decades written English has displayed a noticeable trend towards increased use of compounds. Recently, many words have been made by taking syllables of words and compounding them, such as pixel (picture element) and bit (binary digit). This is called a syllabic abbreviation.
I guess it also looks like "quibowl" might become the word of choice in the future...
Although in all seriousness, quizbowl is a thing and should be stopped.

Re: Is there a space between "quiz" and "bowl"?

Posted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:49 pm
by Angry Babies in Love
Crazyflight wrote:
zachary_yan wrote:
wikipedia wrote:Although there is no universally agreed-upon guideline regarding the use of compound words in the English language, in recent decades written English has displayed a noticeable trend towards increased use of compounds. Recently, many words have been made by taking syllables of words and compounding them, such as pixel (picture element) and bit (binary digit). This is called a syllabic abbreviation.
I guess it also looks like "quibowl" might become the word of choice in the future...
Although in all seriousness, quizbowl is a thing and should be stopped.
I am a very strong believer in quizbowl over quiz bowl, but that pales in comparison to my hatred and disgust towards quizbowl.

Re: Is there a space between "quiz" and "bowl"?

Posted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:58 pm
by Song Oku
NickConderWKU wrote:It's easier and is more aesthetically pleasing in my opinion.
Agreed. Also, "quizbowl" conveniently leads to terms such as quizbowling, quizbowler, etc.

What I've noticed is that many outsiders to quizbowl refer to it as "Quiz Bowl" with caps and space. I don't think there should be any caps whether there is a space or not, just like any other untrademarked game. "Foot Ball" and "Water Polo" just seem very awkward, as does "Quiz Bowl".

Re: Is there a space between "quiz" and "bowl"?

Posted: Thu May 01, 2014 6:36 pm
by Capitoline
I use "quizbowl" as an adjective and "quiz bowl" as a noun. This site is the Quizbowl Resource Center. I played quiz bowl.

This would seem to address both the Rose Bowl and "two-word adjectives are awkward" grammatical arguments.

Re: Is there a space between "quiz" and "bowl"?

Posted: Sun May 04, 2014 7:39 pm
by zachary_yan
Iphone auto correct reverts "quizbowl" into two words, which annoys me to no end. Google also suggests "quiz bowl" to a search query the other way and there is also no way to search for an exact string of "quizbowl".

"Quizbowl" seems to be used only by good quizbowl partisans.

Re: Is there a space between "quiz" and "bowl"?

Posted: Mon May 05, 2014 8:08 am
by jonpin
Joshua Rutsky wrote:Logic would imply that since we don't play in the Rosebowl or the Orangebowl, we don't play quizbowl, either. The bowl half of the phrase is, I would assume, referring to the prize would be awarded for the competition, and quiz is the adjective describing it.

But heck, I'm from Alabama, and we play that there Scholars Bowl game, not some highflaootin' quiz thingywhatsit. 'Sides, we can't agree on whether there's an apostrophe in Scholars.
The "Bowl" in "Rose Bowl", etc. is actually referring to the bowl shape of the stadium (or at least that is the origin of the term).

Re: Is there a space between "quiz" and "bowl"?

Posted: Mon May 05, 2014 10:01 am
by Sniper, No Sniping!
jonpin wrote:
Joshua Rutsky wrote:Logic would imply that since we don't play in the Rosebowl or the Orangebowl, we don't play quizbowl, either. The bowl half of the phrase is, I would assume, referring to the prize would be awarded for the competition, and quiz is the adjective describing it.

But heck, I'm from Alabama, and we play that there Scholars Bowl game, not some highflaootin' quiz thingywhatsit. 'Sides, we can't agree on whether there's an apostrophe in Scholars.
The "Bowl" in "Rose Bowl", etc. is actually referring to the bowl shape of the stadium (or at least that is the origin of the term).
And to make things even more semantically interesting/frustrating, there was also the old Miami Hurricanes stadium known as the "Orange Bowl"!
Turner Island wrote:
Crazyflight wrote: As for the other usage, I just say ballin and baller/balla[h] when describing it.
This does have the unfortunate side effect of making you sound like a total tool.
But of course, there's always a way not to sound like a tool... (don't act like a total tool!)

Re: Is there a space between "quiz" and "bowl"?

Posted: Fri May 16, 2014 3:57 pm
by naesorman555
i usually use quizbowl for informal things and talking to other quizbowlers and quiz bowl for formal stuff and people not familiar with it, not really sure why

Re: Is there a space between "quiz" and "bowl"?

Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:11 pm
by Halved Xenon Stinging
Strange Fascination wrote:
Crazyflight wrote:
zachary_yan wrote:
wikipedia wrote:Although there is no universally agreed-upon guideline regarding the use of compound words in the English language, in recent decades written English has displayed a noticeable trend towards increased use of compounds. Recently, many words have been made by taking syllables of words and compounding them, such as pixel (picture element) and bit (binary digit). This is called a syllabic abbreviation.
I guess it also looks like "quibowl" might become the word of choice in the future...
Although in all seriousness, quizbowl is a thing and should be stopped.
I am a very strong believer in quizbowl over quiz bowl, but that pales in comparison to my hatred and disgust towards quizbowl.
Death to quizbowl

Re: Is there a space between "quiz" and "bowl"?

Posted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:53 pm
by Halved Xenon Stinging
This thread no longer makes any sense because apparently "q u b o" now automatically turns into "quizbowl"

Re: Is there a space between "quiz" and "bowl"?

Posted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:24 pm
by Auks Ran Ova
Shangdevin wrote:This thread no longer makes any sense because apparently "q u b o" now automatically turns into "quizbowl"
All is well.