Preparing for NAC format

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
tofutoaster
Lulu

Preparing for NAC format

Post by tofutoaster »

I am well aware of the NAC' s poor quality and non-pyramidal tossups. However, I plan on attending NAC next year to win the prize money. Does anyone have tips on how to adjust from regular tossups to the ones QU provides?

User was permanently banned for editing his signature to impersonate a player on another team --Mgmt.
Tony
Hinsdale Central
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Re: Preparing for NAC format

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

Is anything you post real?
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
naturalistic phallacy
Auron

Post by naturalistic phallacy »

tofutoaster wrote:I am well aware of the NAC' s poor quality and non-pyramidal tossups. However, I plan on attending NAC next year to win the prize money. Does anyone have tips on how to adjust from regular tossups to the ones QU provides?
No,
Bernadette Spencer
University of Minnesota, MCTC
Member, NAQT
Member, ACF
Member Emeritus, PACE
RexSueciae
Tidus

Post by RexSueciae »

I recommend a frontal lobotomy.
Vasa Clarke

Maggie Walker '14
Virginia '18
William and Mary '21
ryanrosenberg
Auron

Post by ryanrosenberg »

National History Bowl gives prize money and actually has a fair format where winning is tied to skill rather than luck of the draw, so your chances of winning by simply studying and knowing more than the other teams are far greater at NHBB (or any good quizbowl competition) than at NAC. Basically, if you're playing quizbowl to make money (which is an incredibly dumb idea), good quizbowl is a far safer bet than Chip, even disregarding everything else.
Ryan Rosenberg
North Carolina '16
ACF
Whiter Hydra
Auron

Post by Whiter Hydra »

Considering that this person has never attended a tournament to the best of my knowledge, and that people from Hinsdale have been banned for posting under alternate accounts, I highly suspect that this is just a troll post.
Harry White
TJHSST '09, Virginia Tech '13

Owner of Tournament Database Search and Quizbowl Schedule Generator
Will run stats for food
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Public safety diving wrote:Considering that this person has never attended a tournament to the best of my knowledge, and that people from Hinsdale have been banned for posting under alternate accounts, I highly suspect that this is just a troll post.
And the abbreviation is related to Hinsdale Central if you Google it.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
pajaro bobo
Wakka

Post by pajaro bobo »

Alex Liu
Georgia Tech '1X
Chattahoochee '13
schen
Lulu

Post by schen »

Before this blows over, I'd like to clear up any confusion regarding this (and other) threads.

First of all, "tofutoaster" is an actual member of our team. He's competed in a History Bowl tournament and also attended HSNCT as a member of our B team. However, he prefers to go by Tony, which is why no one has had success finding him in any stats.

I have reprimanded him in private repeatedly for making bad posts. Although his posts appear to be "troll", having known him for some time now, I truly believe that he just lacks self-control and a good concept of social conventions. I will talk to the admins about restricting his posting privileges to prevent anything of this sort happening in the future. I did originally discourage him from making an account, predicting that something of this sort would occur, but that failed.

I also want to comment on what other people have been saying about our team. We've only recently started competing in the "greater" quizbowl circuit. In previous years, our team has stuck to conference play, the IHSA state series, and the Masonic state series, but, thanks to interaction with good quizbowl advocates, we made a conscious decision this year to attend as many pyramidal tournaments as we could, something that our team has never done before. This new time commitment, along with a lack of upperclassmen for guidance/leadership, has lead to a schism in the club between those wishing to participate in pyramidal quizbowl and those who merely wish to stick the basics.
Fida wrote:Explains this, given the infighting that seems to go on with the team.
The "infighting" described in this post does not have anything to do with the leadership position discussion in this post. My teammate was describing a situation in which another teammate vulched a tossup, ostensibly to boost his stats(this was at one of the first tournaments we attended). We've since (mostly) rectified the vulching/stats issue. Regarding the other post, the "alienated member" has repeatedly described his desire for an A team and/or leadership position, but often refuses to attend tournaments or study due to being less motivated than the rest of us. He's also stated that the reason he wants those positions is to improve his college admissions chances. Needless to say, giving in to him would be a mistake.

Finally, I'd like to apologize for any harm that my team has done to others on these forums and other online quizbowl meeting places(IRC, qbwiki). I realize that our reputation is pretty bad, and I know that an apology will not solve all the annoyance that we've caused, but I hope that this will at least get us on the right track.
Sunny Chen
Hinsdale Central HS '16
Cal '20

Member of Ankush Club