QuBIT @ High Tech - Lincroft, NJ (10/25/14) [UMD Housewrite]

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
TonyEgg
Lulu

QuBIT @ High Tech - Lincroft, NJ (10/25/14) [UMD Housewrite]

Post by TonyEgg »

High Technology High School is pleased to announce the Quiz Bowl Invitational Tournament (QuBIT), which will take place on October 25th, 2014.

The tournament will take place at High Technology High School, 765 Newman Springs Road, Lincroft, NJ 07738. There will be ample parking both on our parking lot and that of the adjacent Brookdale Community College, both of which are free of charge.

On the day of the tournament, registration will take place from 7:45 AM to 8:30 AM, and the first round will start at 8:45 AM. Provided we meet our quota, there will be four prelim brackets of six teams, followed by three playoff brackets of eight teams and six playoff games (no team will play the same team twice.) Trophies will be awarded to the top 4 teams and book prizes will be awarded to the top 5 scorers of the prelims.

You can register for this tournament through this Google form, which we will keep open until October 22nd. Due to a limited number of game rooms, we will impose a hard field cap of 24 teams.

Schools may sign up to 4 teams initially and any further teams will be placed on the wait list.

Also note that our school district requests a Certificate of Insurance from each participating school before the day of competition. The no-cost Certificate of Insurance is requested through your School Business Office, asking your Insurance Company to issue a Certificate showing the students are covered by insurance when participating at QuBIT. Further details regarding this matter will be sent when you register for the tournament.

Question Set:

We will be mirroring the UMD Housewrite, which is written using BHSAT's distribution:

4/4 Literature (at least 1/1 each American, British, European, .5/.5 one more of the above, .5/.5 World)
4/4 Science (1/1 biology, 1/1 chemistry, 1/1 physics, 1/1 other science, with a heavy focus on math)
4/4 History (1/1 American, 2/2 European/British/Ancient, 1/1 World, Canadian/Australian where appropriate in context)
2.5/2.5 Religion, Myth, Philosophy (1/1 each Religion and Myth, .5/.5 Philosophy)
2.5/2.5 Fine Arts (1/1 Visual and 1/1 Auditory guaranteed per packet, .5/.5 one more of the above)
.5/.5 Social Science
.5/.5 Miscellaneous and Mixed*
1/1 Geography/Current Events (approx. .66/.66 Geo, .33/.33 CE)
1/1 Trash/Pop Culture

More information on this set can be found here

Fee Structure:

$80 per team
-$5 for each working buzzer system, no limit
-$10 for each moderator, no limit
-Minimum fee of $50 per team

Method of Payment:

Please make all checks out to “High Tech Student Activities Account”. We prefer payment on the day of the tournament, but if this is against your school's policy then feel free to mail them to High Tech’s address, as listed above. Please note: If you plan on paying by mailing a check to us, make sure to mark Attention: Dr. R Eng on the envelope so the check gets to the right place.

Food:

A breakfast of bagels and juice will be provided to all teams free of charge. As for lunch, we would prefer if teams stayed on-site in order to prevent delays. We will be offering pizza for sale at lunch for $13 a pie. If you would like to order, please indicate the number of pies on the Google form. Beverages will also be sold at lunch.

If you have any questions about this tournament, please contact Adithya Kannan ([email protected]) or post below.

We look forward to seeing you in October.
Last edited by TonyEgg on Sat Aug 16, 2014 2:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Schmidt Sting Pain Index
Wakka

Re: QuBIT @ High Tech - Lincroft, NJ (10/25/14) [UMD Housewr

Post by Schmidt Sting Pain Index »

Charter is interested.
TWO-TIME HSNCT PARTICIPANT
TWO-TIME NSC PARTICIPANT
THREE-TIME NHBB PARTICIPANT
Varun Wadhwa
Charter School of Wilmington '15
University of Delaware (2013-)
Newark, DE
TonyEgg
Lulu

Post by TonyEgg »

Field (Teams, Buzzers, Moderators):
Current as of 9/30/14

MAST, NJ (2,0,1)
St. Joe's, NJ (2,2,1)
Ithaca High School, NY (1,1,1)
North Babylon High School, NY (2,3,0)
East Brunswick High School, NJ (2,1,0)
Pingry High School, NJ (2,0,0)
Livingston High School, NJ (2,2,1)
Bergen County Academies, NJ (2,2,0)
Hunter College HS, NY (3,1,0)
Middletown HS South, NJ (2,1,0)
Mountain Lakes HS, NJ (2,2,1)
Kellenberg HS, NY (2,3,0)

Total: (24, 18, 5)

Waitlist:

Ridgewood HS, NJ (2,0,0)
Ranney School, NJ (1,0,0)
Wheatley School, NY (2,1,0)
Last edited by TonyEgg on Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:32 pm, edited 17 times in total.
Al Hirt
Wakka

Post by Al Hirt »

EB is interested.
Shravan Balaji
Academic Team Captain
East Brunswick High School '15
University of Pennsylvania '19
NHBB Mid-Atlantic Regional Coordinator
iloveGod
Lulu

Post by iloveGod »

North Babylon is interested.
Emmanuel Nimarko
North Babylon High School '15
TonyEgg
Lulu

Post by TonyEgg »

QuBIT has received Platinum certification from PACE, meaning that the top 25% of teams in the field will qualify for the 2015 PACE NSC on May 24th and 25th, 2015.

Keep the registrations coming! Note that there is a hard field cap of 24 teams due to space constraints, so it is better to sign up sooner rather than later if you plan on joining us in October.
mrkirkmath
Lulu

Post by mrkirkmath »

Ithaca is interested. I think I signed us up already, but please let me know if I actually didn't follow through.
Benjamin Kirk
Coach, Ithaca High School Brain Team (2009-2023)
Ithaca, New York
Twitter: @IHSBrainTeam
PACE Member 2022-present
Ithaca Cricket Ump
Wakka

Post by Ithaca Cricket Ump »

I am probably available to attend this tournament as a moderator for Ithaca, so please provisionally credit them with providing a moderator for this tournament.

--Scott
Scott M. Blish
Cheval, FL
Cornell 1990-92, 1997
Tournament Director, BrainBusters Fall
HSNCT moderator 2012-, MSNCT 2013-, SSNCT 2014-, PACE NSC 2013-, NHBB Nationals 2014-
Gen. Winfield Scott Hancock
Wakka

Post by Gen. Winfield Scott Hancock »

Emmaus is interested if there's still space left. Gotta get our coach to approve though haha.
Ryan Bilger
Emmaus '15, Gettysburg '19, West Virginia '21
National Park Service

"I never saved anything for the swim back." - Vincent Freeman, Gattaca
TonyEgg
Lulu

Post by TonyEgg »

We have now reached the field cap of 24 teams. Registration is still open, but any subsequent teams that register will be added to the wait-list.
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

Adithya,

If you need another moderator I am now able to do it---I have new reading glasses! So, I'm available if needed.
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
High1234
Kimahri

Post by High1234 »

Hi,

Ranney is interested. We know that its sort of late, but we'll keep our fingers crossed that spots open up. We just need to get our coach's approval.

User was reminded to enable a signature. --Mgmt.
SHP Pirate
Rikku

Post by SHP Pirate »

Even though I am no longer coaching at SHP, I may be available to read/keep stats at this tournament. Please e-mail me off the board @ [email protected].

MTZ
Michael T. Zinsmeister
Director of Admission
Seton Hall Preparatory School
West Orange, NJ
Rudolf Volz's Hamlet In Rock
Lulu

Post by Rudolf Volz's Hamlet In Rock »

West Egg would like to drop its team and mod from the field.
L. Geng
Great Neck South '17
TonyEgg
Lulu

Post by TonyEgg »

With West Egg and Charter dropping their teams, I have moved Mountain Lakes and Middletown South from the waitlist to the field.

More information regarding QuBIT will be sent out to all registered teams through the emails provided on the signup sheet by the end of this week.
CHRISO
Kimahri

Post by CHRISO »

Hi,

Biotech would like to enter two teams. Let us know if we make the field!
We have no buzzer systems, and I am willing to act as a moderator, although I am not a very experienced one.
And if we make the field, we would like 4 pizzas.

Thanks,

Chris Olszewski

User was reminded to enable a signature -- Staff
Chris Olszewski
Academic Team Adviser
Biotechnology High School
Freehold, NJ
TonyEgg
Lulu

Post by TonyEgg »

MAST C and Mountain Lakes C have dropped from the field, so Kellenberg's two teams have been added to the field.
TonyEgg
Lulu

Post by TonyEgg »

Complete Stats can be found here:http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournaments/2328/

The 6 teams that have qualified for the PACE NSC are:

Bergen A (1st place)
East Brunswick A (2nd place)
Hunter A (3rd place)
St. Joseph's A(4th place)
Ithaca (t. 5th place)
Pingry A (t. 5th place)

Thank you to all the players and moderators for bearing through some statistics hiccups during the day.

Special thanks to Mr. Pinyan for helping us to set up fair schedules and to Ben Zhang, whose vast contributions to the tournament range from statkeeping to moderating the final match. We can't thank them enough.
Gonzagapuma1
Tidus

Post by Gonzagapuma1 »

We hope you enjoyed the UMD Spring set, and we welcome your comments. If you are interested in providing your thoughts about specific questions or about the set as a whole, please join our discussion subforum by going to the Control Panel, selecting Usergroups, finding "Maryland Spring 2014 discussion," and hitting "Join selected". Those who don't have an account and/or don't want to post there should feel free to email [email protected] if they have any questions, comments, concerns, or errors to note.

(This post stolen from Grace Liu)
Dan Puma
Alum: Gonzaga, Montgomery College, University of Maryland
Currently Unaffiliated
MAQT President-ish, 2014-2015
Champion of the Modern World, 2014
Former Member, PACE
Ithaca Cricket Ump
Wakka

Post by Ithaca Cricket Ump »

Especially for a maiden effort, this was an excellently-run tournament (despite the statistics hiccup or two that Adithya mentioned, they were nothing that interfered with the flow of the tournament in any way), and my compliments go out to the entire High Tech crew, as well as Jon and Ben, for their hard and successful work. The tournament might have run a little bit over on time from what would have been optimal, but when playing an untimed format with anything less than 100% highly-experienced (nationals-level) readers, that's really sort of unavoidable, as one slow room can hold up the whole thing - it was really due to a bunch of small delays, rather than any major problem. The question set provided by UMD and collaborators was challenging (especially the science - let's just say that if I didn't know that Eric Mukherjee had a large hand in the writing of the science, I could've figured it out within 3 guesses ;) ), but fair - lead-ins and hard parts were hard, but the answerlines were certainly gettable even by below-average teams. I will certainly be coming down to High Tech to work any future tournaments that they host if they need my help, and once again, great job, everyone.

Congratulations also to the 6 PACE NSC qualifiers from this tournament, and, as a reminder, any team that played this tournament is also welcome to register for AAC in Chattanooga in May, regardless of placement. The informational and registration website is found here: http://www.americanacademicchallenge.com , and a sample question packet will be added to the site by mid-November (i.e., after BrainBusters Fall is finished next weekend and my efforts turn 100% to AAC preparation.)

--Scott
Scott M. Blish
Cheval, FL
Cornell 1990-92, 1997
Tournament Director, BrainBusters Fall
HSNCT moderator 2012-, MSNCT 2013-, SSNCT 2014-, PACE NSC 2013-, NHBB Nationals 2014-