Cavalier Classic XVII (11/15/14, Charlottesville, VA)

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Matthew Bonnan
Lulu

Cavalier Classic XVII (11/15/14, Charlottesville, VA)

Post by Matthew Bonnan »

The Academic Competition Club at UVA will be hosting our annual fall tournament, the Cavalier Classic, on November 15, 2014 using NAQT IS-140. We will not be using computational math tossups at this tournament.

Location: This tournament will be held in New Cabell Hall, and we'll be meeting at 8:30 AM in a room TBA.

Affiliation: The top 15% of the field will automatically qualify for the NAQT High School National Championship Tournament, which will occur on May 29–31, 2015 in Chicago, IL. More information about HSNCT is available here. This tournament is also certified by the Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence, so it is an opportunity to qualify for the National Scholastics Championship, which will occur on June 6–7, 2015 in Reston, VA. The top 25% of teams will qualify, and more information is available here.

Parking: There is a decent-sized parking lot quite close to New Cabell. An address you can plug into a GPS that will get you close to this lot is 400 Brandon Avenue, Charlottesville, VA. That address is for the Elson Student Health Center, which will be on your left as you turn onto Brandon from Jefferson Park Avenue. Student Health also has a parking lot but threatens to tow without a UVA permit. The lot I suggest is past Student Health on Brandon Ave and will be on the right. Once you've parked, New Cabell Hall is the very large building across Jefferson Park Avenue. If you cross the street at JPA and Brandon, turn left and walk up the ramp or stairs to the side door of the building, which will put you on the first floor on the right side of the building. Both stairs and an elevator are accessible from this entrance.

If this mysterious lot makes you nervous, allow an extra 10-15 minutes to park at Scott Stadium and follow this crudely made map to reach New Cabell:

Team size: There can be a maximum number of 6 players on each team’s roster, with substitutions possible at half-time and between games. If you wish to bring 7 or 8 players, we ask that you register a second team and so on for anyone with larger numbers of players.

Food: There is a buffet-style dining hall near New Cabell Hall that will be open on this date. I’ll have a list of other food options available for each team on the day of the tournament as well. We will not be providing breakfast or lunch for teams.

Fee structure:
Base fee: $70 per team
Buzzer discount: $5 for each system on which the control box and 8 buzzers work.
Staff discount: $10 for a parent, coach, non-playing student, etc. To qualify for the discount, volunteer staffers must stay through all games, not including finals.
Travel discount (200 miles or more, one way): $10
Minimum fee: $45

To register, please email me (Joshua Duncan) at jed9xv(at)virginia(dot)edu. Checks should be made out to “Academic Competition Club,” though we can also accept cash. Please pay either in advance or, preferably, on the day of the tournament. If you wish to pay in advance, please indicate this in your registration and I will send you an address. Likewise, please let me know if you will need an invoice.

Our field will be tentatively capped at 28 teams.

We hope to see you all in November!

Field (buzzers):

Albemarle 1
Blacksburg 2 (3)
Christiansburg 1 (1)
Early College at Guilford 2 (1)
Fork Union 1
Harrisonburg 1 (1)
Hermitage 1
Maggie Walker 3
Nandua 2 (1)
New Kent 3
Rappahannock County 2 (2)
St. Christopher's 1
Thomas Jefferson 3 (1)
Western Albemarle 2 (1)
Woodbridge 2 (2)

Wait list:
Woodbridge 1
Last edited by Matthew Bonnan on Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:06 pm, edited 29 times in total.
Joshua Duncan
UVA '16
Invisible Rail
Lulu

Re: Cavalier Classic XVII (11/15/14, Charlottesville, VA)

Post by Invisible Rail »

Is there a field cap for this tournament?
Luke H.

Albemarle High School, Virginia
Class of 2016
Matthew Bonnan
Lulu

Post by Matthew Bonnan »

Charlemagne wrote:Is there a field cap for this tournament?
As of right now, no.
Joshua Duncan
UVA '16
Matthew Bonnan
Lulu

Post by Matthew Bonnan »

The tentative field cap for this tournament will be 28 teams. I'm currently sending an email to any school with an uncertain amount of teams to make sure there will be room left for any interested teams not signed up.
Joshua Duncan
UVA '16
Matthew Bonnan
Lulu

Post by Matthew Bonnan »

This tournament happened. Maggie Walker A beat Albemarle in a one-game final. Guilford A beat Thomas Jefferson A to take third place.

I personally want to thank all of the staff for making this tournament possible. I'd especially like to thank Cody, Matt W., and Sarah for coming up from VCU and Dhara Patel for helping me with prelim stats. I hope all teams enjoyed the tournament. I certainly had a blast organizing it!

Stats can be found here.
Joshua Duncan
UVA '16