Virginia NAQT States at UVa (5/02/2015, Charlottesville, VA)

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Matthew Bonnan
Lulu

Virginia NAQT States at UVa (5/02/2015, Charlottesville, VA)

Post by Matthew Bonnan »

The Academic Competition Club at the University of Virginia will be hosting the Virginia NAQT State Championship on May 2, 2015. We will be using NAQT IS-146. We will not be using computational math tossups at this tournament. For now, I'd like to have the field capped at 24 teams, although that is subject to change depending on overall interest and room reservations. All Virginia middle and high schools, public and private, are eligible for this tournament.

Location: This tournament will be held at Henley Middle School just outside of Charlottesville. The address is 5880 Rockfish Gap Turnpike, Crozet, VA 22932. We'll be meeting at 8:30 AM in a room TBA.

Affiliation: The top 15% of the field will automatically qualify for the NAQT High School National Championship Tournament, which will occur on May 29–31, 2015 in Chicago, IL. More information about HSNCT is available here. This tournament is also certified by the Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence, so it is an opportunity to qualify for the National Scholastics Championship, which will occur on June 6–7, 2015 in Reston, VA. The top 25% of teams will qualify, and more information is available here.

Team size: There can be a maximum number of 6 players on each team’s roster, with substitutions possible at half-time and between games. If you wish to bring 7 or 8 players, we ask that you register a second team and so on for anyone with larger numbers of players.

Fee structure:
Base fee: $70 per team
Buzzer discount: $5 for each system on which the control box and 8 buzzers work.
Staff discount: $10 for a parent, coach, non-playing student, etc. To qualify for the discount, volunteer staffers must stay through all games, not including finals.
Travel discount (200 miles or more, one way): $10
Minimum fee: $45

To register, please email me (Joshua Duncan) at jed9xv(at)virginia(dot)edu. Checks should be made out to “Academic Competition Club,” though we can also accept cash. Please pay either in advance or, preferably, on the day of the tournament. If you wish to pay in advance, please indicate this in your registration and I will send you an address. Likewise, please let me know if you will need an invoice.

We look forward to seeing you in March!

Field (buzzers):
1 Albemarle
1 Blacksburg
3 Cave Spring
1 Christiansburg
2 Episcopal
1 "Homeschool Out of the Box"
1 Loudoun
1 Thomas Jefferson
1 Western Albemarle
Last edited by Matthew Bonnan on Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:42 am, edited 10 times in total.
Joshua Duncan
UVA '16
Matthew Bonnan
Lulu

Re: Virginia NAQT States at UVa (3/21/2015, Charlottesville,

Post by Matthew Bonnan »

Due to room issues, this tournament has been moved to May 2, 2015. All registered teams will receive an email from me shortly.
Joshua Duncan
UVA '16
Matthew Bonnan
Lulu

Re: Virginia NAQT States at UVa (5/02/2015, Charlottesville,

Post by Matthew Bonnan »

This tournament happened. I would like to thank all of the staffers who absolutely made this tournament possible. I appreciate all of the teams coming out, as well, and hope they enjoyed it.

Western Albemarle defeated TJ in an advantaged final to win. Albemarle finished in third.

Stats.
Joshua Duncan
UVA '16