Western Albemarle Invitational Tournament (WAIT) - 3/7/15

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Beevor Feevor
Rikku

Western Albemarle Invitational Tournament (WAIT) - 3/7/15

Post by Beevor Feevor » Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:48 pm

Western Albemarle High School is hosting our first ever pyramidal tournament on March 7th, 2015, using the IS-144 set from NAQT. There will not be computational math tossups at this tournament (which is a plus for everyone!) Whether you're capping off the end of VHSL states or getting ready for NAQT States at UVa two weeks from this tournament, this is the tournament for you! Out of staters are also welcome; do come and support the WAHS Quizbowl team as we try to become more active in hosting tournaments in nice, central Virginia.

Location and time: Western Albemarle High School, located in the scenic Blue Ridge Mountains in Crozet, VA, which is about 20 minutes away from Charlottesville to the west. The opening meeting will be at around 9:00 AM in the cafeteria, and registration will run from 8:15-8:50ish.

Affiliation: The top 15% of the field will automatically qualify for the NAQT High School National Championship Tournament, which will occur on May 29–31, 2015 in Chicago, IL. We're also looking into getting PACE certification soon!

Team size: There can be a maximum number of 6 players on each team’s roster, with substitutions possible at half-time and between games. If you wish to bring 7 or 8 players, we ask that you register a second team and so on for anyone with larger numbers of players.

Food: Pizzas and assorted snacks/drinks will be sold at the tournament to support the Western Albemarle Quizbowl team. Prices will be made available in the email sent out to teams a week before the tournament, but it will be affordable!

Fee structure:
Base fee: $70 per first team, $65 for each subsequent team
Buzzer discount: -$5 for each system on which the control box and 8 buzzers work.
Staff discount: -$10 for a parent, coach, non-playing student, etc. To qualify for the discount, volunteer staffers must stay through all games, not including finals.
Travel discount (150 miles or more, one way): -$10
New team discount (given if your team has not played in a non-VHSL tournament in the past 2 years, or from the 2012/2013 season onwards): -$10
Minimum fee: $45

To register, email me, Eric Xu, at xkcdlover(dot)gmail(dot)com. Checks should be made out to "WAHS ACE team", though cash is also accepted. Please pay the day of the tournament: no sooner, no later! Let me know if you will need an invoice and I will prepare one for you.

For now, the field is capped at 24 teams, though this will likely expand pretty readily if there is more demand.

See you guys in March!

Field (Teams/buzzers/moderators) Total: (16/7/2)
Albemarle (2/1/0)
Cave Spring (3/2/0)
Clover Hill (2/1/1)
Henley (M.S.) (3/1/0)
Maggie Walker (3/1/1)
Monticello (1/1/0)
Rappahannock (2/0/0)
Last edited by Beevor Feevor on Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:27 pm, edited 17 times in total.
Eric Xu
Western Albemarle High School '15
University of Virginia '19

Beevor Feevor
Rikku

Re: Western Albemarle Invitational Tournament (WAIT) - 3/7/1

Post by Beevor Feevor » Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:05 pm

We are now Platinum Certified by PACE, which means that the top 25% of teams who attend this tournament will qualify for the NSC in Reston, Virginia! Get your registrations in soon; we've already had interest from pretty much every team in the DC/MD/VA area, and are working on locking down team numbers in the month ahead.
Eric Xu

Beevor Feevor
Rikku

Post by Beevor Feevor » Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:28 pm

With the addition of two house teams, the field will be capped at 18 teams. There has been some snow in the area lately, but I will be able to update teams on if we will be able to use the building by tomorrow morning.
Eric Xu

Beevor Feevor
Rikku

Post by Beevor Feevor » Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:23 pm

I apologize for not posting updates throughout the day, but this tournament did happen and ended (fairly successfully, I think, all things considered) at around 4:45 PM today! Maggie Walker A finished in first place, with Albemarle A coming in second and Cave Spring A finishing in third. Morning records were NOT carried over into the afternoon, so Albemarle (4-1 in the afternoon) played Maggie Walker (5-0) in a disadvantaged final instead of Cave Spring A (which finished 3-2 in the afternoon and 5-0 in the morning). I hope that teams enjoyed what we could provide, and I certainly had fun with my first time TD-ing a tournament! Stats should be up within the next couple of days, and I hope that all teams involved had a wonderful time!
Eric Xu

Beevor Feevor
Rikku

Post by Beevor Feevor » Sat Mar 07, 2015 10:03 pm

Stats can be found here: http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournaments/2798/. Apologies for the "All Games" section not being split up into proper brackets, but the playoff tab has the proper order of finish, with all teams with equal records in the afternoon finishing with the same placement. Top 3 teams qualify for HSNCT, and top 5 qualify for NSC, so congratulations to those teams!
Eric Xu