Results: VT NAQT Championship (3/6 at Spaulding HS, Barre)

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
kcommo
Wakka

Results: VT NAQT Championship (3/6 at Spaulding HS, Barre)

Post by kcommo »

The Vermont-NEA Scholars' Bowl will put on its ninth annual Vermont NAQT Championship at Spaulding High School in Barre on Friday, March 6.

This tournament will follow NAQT rules (http://www.naqt.com/rules.html) and offers Vermont teams an excellent opportunity to advance to the NAQT National Championship Tournament in Chicago or the NAQT Small School National Tournament in Atlanta. The Scholars' Bowl will cover the registration fee of the top finishing large school and small school league members, assuming those schools chose to attend nationals.

This year we are accepting registrations via an online Google form. PM me and I'll send you the link. The registration deadline is Monday, March 2.

Interested teams should note that participation will require them to leave school early. Check-in will be held from 3:15 to 3:25 p.m. and matches will begin promptly at 3:45 p.m. The competition, featuring at least seven matches for all teams, will end at approximately 9 p.m.

A dinner break will be included in the schedule and teams have the option to order pizzas at a cost of $15 per large pizza. Teams that do not participate will be responsible for bringing their own meals.

An entry fee of $25 per team will be charged and all schools will be initially limited to two participating teams. Additional teams will be admitted if the number of readers allows it. Schools wishing to bring extra teams should note that bringing volunteers willing to serve as tournament readers is the best way to insure we can accommodate you.

The coaches of all participating teams will be expected to moderate matches so that we can keep all teams playing in all rounds. We will have a quick rules meeting to go over the basics and answer questions, but please familiarize yourself and your team with the rules (http://www.naqt.com/rules.html) ahead of time. Also, if you know of anyone (parents, teachers, former players, etc.) who might be willing to volunteer to read matches or keep score please invite them to come. The more staffers we have, the smoother things will run.

We also ask teams that have buzzer systems to please bring them.

If you have any questions please feel free to email me at kcommo (at) scholarsbowl (dot) org.
Last edited by kcommo on Sat Mar 07, 2015 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kevin Commo
Coach, Burlington (Vt.) HS
Tournament Director, Vermont-NEA Scholars' Bowl
Director of Staffing and Statistics, International Academic Competitions
Halved Xenon Stinging
Wakka

Re: Vermont NAQT Championship (3/6 at Spaulding HS, Barre, V

Post by Halved Xenon Stinging »

Hey Mr. Commo, Lexington is interested.

Are out of league teams eligible for the nationals registration fee as an award?
Devin Shang
Lexington High School Co-Captain '16
Pomona '20
2016 National History Bee Runner-Up, 2016 National History Bowl Runner-Up
NAQT Writer
NHBB Writer
Ndg
Rikku

Post by Ndg »

Teams generally aren't eligible to play in the NAQT state championships of other states.

(If this tournament is an exception to that rule, it would be good to put that information in the original post.)
Andrew Nadig

Mannhiem Mannheim Manheim Township, 2005-11
Carnegie Mellon University, 2011-15
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Important Bird Area »

The usual exception to that policy is "if your own state doesn't have a state championship."

That being said, I hope to announce a state championship that is much closer to Lexington in the very near future.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Important Bird Area »

I am pleased to report that MIT will host the Massachusetts state championship on Saturday, April 11th.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
Maury Island incident
Wakka

Post by Maury Island incident »

With the announcement of the NAQT Massachusetts State Championship, Lexington is no longer able to attend this tournament. We'll try to come up for PHAT next year.
Colin Cantwell
Lexington '17
UVA '21
kcommo
Wakka

Post by kcommo »

Shangdevin wrote:Hey Mr. Commo, Lexington is interested.

Are out of league teams eligible for the nationals registration fee as an award?
Good luck at MIT, Colin. But to answer your question in case we do get any other out-of-state interest, the prize money if for Vermont-NEA Scholars' Bowl members only. We put it up to encourage more of our teams to go to nationals, and the amount we offer far exceeds what we bring in from this tournament so we can't really consider offering it to other schools.
Kevin Commo
a bird
Wakka

Post by a bird »

I might be available to staff this; is Hanover coming?
Graham R.

Maryland
kcommo
Wakka

Post by kcommo »

That's great, Graham. Thanks a lot. Drop me an email when you know for sure if you can be there. And, yes, Hanover is planning to attend.
Kevin Commo
kcommo
Wakka

Post by kcommo »

Projected field as of 2/26:

Montpelier 4 teams
Essex 4
Middlebury 4
South Burlington 3
Fair Haven 3
Champlain Valley 2
Spaulding 2
BFA-Fairfax 2
Hanover 2
Burlington 1
North Country 1
Bishop Guertin 1
Total 29 teams
Kevin Commo
kcommo
Wakka

Post by kcommo »

We ended up with 28 teams from 12 schools, and Essex A ran the table to win the Vermont NAQT Championship for the second straight year. We also had separate small-school playoffs, and Montpelier B won its last four games all by 40 or fewer points to take that title.

All the stats are here: http://www.scholarsbowl.org/15VTNAQT_standings.html

Burlington, Bishop Guertin, Hanover A and South Burlington A completed the large-school top five and should join Essex in qualifying for HSNCT. Middlebury A, the small-school runner-up, should also have qualified by SSNCT.

Phil Holt of South Burlington was the top overall scorer while Geoff Schukei of BFA-Fairfax was the top small-school scorer, placing fourth overall.
Kevin Commo