Rivalry

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
RainDog
Kimahri

Rivalry

Post by RainDog »

What do you think of the DCC-Solon Rivalry now? All I see on these boards is that Solon is better than CC. In fact, the only good posts I see about DCC come from Solon's own Noah Rahman. Well, I've been to several Ohio area tournaments, and have seen many matches between these two teams. These games are often close, sometimes ending in victories for one team by no more that 50 pts. However, I watched the final match at the GLRAC tournament and Case Western, and it seems to me that DCC ran away with the game. Was it a fluke like I'm sure some of you will say, pure determination, or the truth. Tell me honestly, if you can, what you think of this rivalry now. . .
bigtrain
Rikku

Post by bigtrain »

RainDog wrote:All I see on these boards is that Solon is better than DCC. In fact, the only good posts I see about DCC come from Solon's own Noah Rahman.
I have never seen either of these teams play eachother, but I think most of the comparison threads on this forum have come to the conclusion that DCC and Solon are pretty much equal strength teams. However, I think many of us hold Solon in higher regard based upon the level of courtesy they display compared to DCC when posting on this board.
RainDog wrote:I watched the final match at the GLRAC tournament and Case Western, and it seems to me that DCC ran away with the game. Was it a fluke like I'm sure some of you will say, pure determination, or the truth. Tell me honestly, if you can, what you think of this rivalry now. . .
As I hear it, Solon was missing half of their A team. I have the same thoughts on this rivalry as I did 2 days ago. What team do you play for and why do you care so much about the rivalry between two teams you don't play for? You don't go to DCC do you?
Alex Price
Walter Johnson 2006
Emory University 2010
RainDog
Kimahri

Post by RainDog »

No, but i'm still tired of people saying bad things about one school or another, and that's all C.C. ever seems to get. I don't understand why.
RainDog
Kimahri

Post by RainDog »

"As I hear it, Solon was missing half of their A team. I have the same thoughts on this rivalry as I did 2 days ago. What team do you play for and why do you care so much about the rivalry between two teams you don't play for? You don't go to DCC do you?"

You people sound paranoid. Solon was missing half their A-Team: So was Catholic Central. Band takes a toll on Q-Bowl apparently. And, again, I don't care about rivalry - This isn't some jock sport - I would just like to see more respect for your opponents.
DCCHelmet
Lulu

Post by DCCHelmet »

As far as Mr. Raindog, I don't know who he is, and whether or not he plays for us.

As far as some past posters, those guys were idiots and have since graduated. They are not representative of how CC conducts themself. I don't think it's fair to judge an entire organization spanning many years based on the words of a few in a single season.

As far as Solon, I will not disagree that they are a class organization. I have never seen any unsportsmanlike behavior from Rahman or any other of their teammates. I for one always look forward to seeing Solon in a tournament, and hope to see them at Nat'ls.

Btw, we were missing two players out of 12, not half our team, due to Band. But, as long as Joel and Noah were there, I would still count it as a legitimate game.
Last edited by DCCHelmet on Sun Mar 20, 2005 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RainDog
Kimahri

Post by RainDog »

I've also talked to both teams, and both C.C. and Solon have the utmost respect for each other. It's other teams, not these two, who go around spreading rumours, bad information, etc.
No Sollositing On Premise
Tidus

Post by No Sollositing On Premise »

From what I saw of DCC and Solon last year (I played both teams at Nationals last year), they were somewhat young teams led by veritable superstars. If that turns in to a rivalry the likes of TJ-Gov or RM-ER, power to them, but I doubt it's going to last past Noah's graduation. [/quote]
Mike Sollosi, University of Virginia
RainDog
Kimahri

Post by RainDog »

Apparently, i'm just going to withdraw my statement. I'd like to see more games between Solon and C.C. . I saw in other threads that DCC was going to Natl's. Is Solon ? I'd love to read about more games in the future, and hopefully, both teams will have a full roster.
RainDog
Kimahri

Re: Rivalry

Post by RainDog »

RainDog wrote:What do you think of the DCC-Solon Rivalry now?owever, I watched the final match at the GLRAC tournament and Case Western, and it seems to me that DCC ran away with the game.
By the way, I didn't mean to sound like such a jack-ass, and sorry for offending anyone.
No Sollositing On Premise
Tidus

Post by No Sollositing On Premise »

RainDog wrote:Band takes a toll on Q-Bowl apparently...
NAQT nationals was the first tournament all of last year where both TJ B and TJ A had their full teams, due to some kind of band/certamen conspiracy.
Mike Sollosi, University of Virginia
solonqb
Rikku

Post by solonqb »

Out of curiosity, Raindog, who are you?
Noah Rahman
Welcome to Simbabwe, where the property is already owned and the houses built and you compete to burn and dispossess them. Compete with Robert Mugabe, Canaan Banana, Cecil Rhodes and Sir Godfrey Huggins to earn a place on the all-time EU travel ban list!
BobGHHS
Rikku

Post by BobGHHS »

Yeah, I would like to know who DCCHelmet and Raindog both are... Not that I care, but it will give me a little more insight on where their comments are coming from.

I will agree with a prior post, I think DCC and Solon are extremely well-matched, with both strengths and weaknesses being the deciding factor in their matches, as it seemed to be at GLRAC.

We gave DCC A a good match until about question 15, then they ran away with it.

We beat up on DCC B during the prelims, but that team will be pretty good as the varsity in a few years. The captain and Eric knew a ton of stuff for being so young, and they will be a force in a year or two.

Noah-- I'm assuming you will be attending nationals and will get to see DCC again probably. I don't think anything will ever decide who is the better team, b/c it seems to go back and forth between the two of you.

And I also agree with whoever made the post about DCC. I've been involved for the past 6 years, and DCC has always carried themselves in a very sportsmanlike manner. I've believed them to be cocky in the past and such, but whether or not it was true, when you're that good, you can be cocky. There's a big difference between cockiness and being a flat-out prick. The scary part is that Joel is only a junior. If he builds on the little things that he doesn't know, that team could be back at the top in the country next year.

Good luck to both teams at Nationals, it should be great competition.
Bob Kilner
Kent State '06 - Boise State '10
Former Coach, Garfield Hts (OH) (2001-08)
Former Coach, Eastlake North HS (OH) (2015-22)

"I'd sooner fail than not be among the greatest." - John Keats
LordOfTheFlies
Lulu

This "rivalry"

Post by LordOfTheFlies »

If there is such a rivalry between these two teams it can easily be put to rest by the overall record for the year. I can also speak for Joel and say that I know he has nothing againist Solon or anyone on their team. He tries to stay out of all this quiz bowl flaming that goes on on this website. I know members of his team from last year was posting idiotic things in both their names and his names but i'd hope DCC wouldn't be judged by that. I've known members of their team for a very long time and they are quite honourable and well intentioned. I really hate to see his name and the name of his team dragged through the mud here. DCC is without a doubt one of the premier programs in the nation and Joel is in the top handful without a doubt and by next year I don't know if anyone will be able to beat him as he is continually improving and becoming more consistent.
I also hope not to sound like an idiot in this post but I think this "rivalry" is beating set up by people not even associated with anything and I don't like to see undeserving people insulted.
solonqb
Rikku

Post by solonqb »

Our record against them this year is 2-3, if anyone cares.
Noah Rahman
Welcome to Simbabwe, where the property is already owned and the houses built and you compete to burn and dispossess them. Compete with Robert Mugabe, Canaan Banana, Cecil Rhodes and Sir Godfrey Huggins to earn a place on the all-time EU travel ban list!
DCCHelmet
Lulu

Post by DCCHelmet »

I don't know raindog. But for those wondering: I am Nick Galea, younger sibling of 2001 NAQT champ Joe Galea. You've probably seen me in my 06 band jacket and my LA Dodgers cap.

There is definitely a rivalry between us and Solon. The record doesn't really conclude anything because in many of those games, we or they haven't had our whole team. I suppose we'll have to settle it at Nationals.
BobGHHS
Rikku

Post by BobGHHS »

I actually think I played against Joe in high school a few times, good player... and I remember hearing Allison make the comment about how you sort of look like Joe.

Solon is 3-0 against Copley
We're 3-0 against Solon
And Solon is 2-3 against DCC

but we can't beat DCC or Copley if someone had a gun to our heads... go figure.

DCC/Solon, will you guys see each other again before nationals, maybe MSU?

Bob
Bob Kilner
Kent State '06 - Boise State '10
Former Coach, Garfield Hts (OH) (2001-08)
Former Coach, Eastlake North HS (OH) (2015-22)

"I'd sooner fail than not be among the greatest." - John Keats