NY NASAT Team?

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Bosa of York
Rikku

NY NASAT Team?

Post by Bosa of York »

Is anyone planning on organizing it? Is anyone interested?
Eric Wolfsberg
Bethlehem Central High School 2016
University of Delaware 2020
Stanford 2025 or whatever
The Polebarn Hotel
Wakka

Re: NY NASAT Team?

Post by The Polebarn Hotel »

I'd be interested if transportation could be organized such that anyone not in the metro-NYC area would be able to attend. Last year the team joined the NJ team in a van, if I recall correctly. I'm not sure, though.
Casey Wetherbee
Ithaca '17
Georgetown '21
NAQT Writer
czheng0708
Lulu

Post by czheng0708 »

Eric - typically, the players of Hunter College High School organize something on IRC/Skype. That's how it's been done for the last two years. If I remember correctly, they usually don't do this until end of April, beginning of May. But, I'm not sure if they're going to be hosting some sort of NASAT tryout. If you want to coordinate something with HCHS about hosting a NY NASAT tryout, I'm not entirely sure who you should speak to (Sarah Hamerling or Albert Tai might be a good start). If you guys end up doing it online, I'd be willing to help out with it.
Christopher Zheng
Great Neck South High School '15
University of California, Berkeley '19
marianna
Rikku

Post by marianna »

I'd definitely recommend that tryouts be organized sooner rather than later.

In the past few years, the process has typically been that people express interest in trying out but no one really demonstrates firm interest/commitment in organizing it, everyone stares at each other as the pressure builds, until someone steps up to organize it haphazardly under a crushing deadline. That far into the season, it's difficult to find a set to use, there aren't tournaments left where upstate and downstate people can meet to tryout in person, people have committed to other events already during NASAT weekend, and transportation gets tricky. I regret that last year's tryout ran into most of these problems (the NY team just ended up being whoever could make it), so I highly recommend getting organized soon. Format-wise, it might be helpful to look at what other (historically more organized) states are doing.

College is hard, so I don't think I can organize tryouts this year, but I'd be happy to help out whomever steps up to run this.
Marianna Zhang (she/her)
Hunter '14 | Chicago '18 | Stanford '24
PACE
ProfessorIanDuncan
Wakka

Post by ProfessorIanDuncan »

STIMPY is going to be used well into April, so you guys might be able to ask the people in charge of that if no one plans on playing it. It would be best to get a list of interested people as soon as possible for the reasons Marianna outlined. That way it will be possible to see if an in person tryout would be doable, or if online is the only option. The upstate teams come to the metro area more often than a couple years ago, so this might actually be possible to do.
Alec Vulfson
Irvington High School '13
atai
Lulu

Post by atai »

I heard that Hunter's Sarah Hamerling has got a pretty bad case of senioritis right now. Albert Tai might organize something on Skype though.
Albert Tai
Hunter College High School '16
Columbia University '20
The Polebarn Hotel
Wakka

How is transportation going to be organized?
Casey Wetherbee
Ithaca '17
Georgetown '21
NAQT Writer
czheng0708
Lulu

Post by czheng0708 »

Casey - I think we should start polling interest for NASAT. Speaking from what I know, it appears as if the Upstate NY players are more interested in playing at NASAT than Metro NYC player.

I'd be willing to organize the tryout, but the first step is starting a list. If other have planned on assuming the reins for this, I'm sorry if I've overstepped and I'm glad to assist in any way. Nevertheless, I presume you and Eric will be on the list. Other interested players can comment on this thread or PM me.
Christopher Zheng
The Polebarn Hotel
Wakka

atai wrote:I heard that Hunter's Sarah Hamerling has got a pretty bad case of senioritis right now. Albert Tai might organize something on Skype though.
czheng0708 wrote:Casey - I think we should start polling interest for NASAT. Speaking from what I know, it appears as if the Upstate NY players are more interested in playing at NASAT than Metro NYC player.

I'd be willing to organize the tryout, but the first step is starting a list. If other have planned on assuming the reins for this, I'm sorry if I've overstepped and I'm glad to assist in any way. Nevertheless, I presume you and Eric will be on the list. Other interested players can comment on this thread or PM me.
I'd only be able to go if transportation worked out in such a way that I wouldn't have to pay an obscene amount of money in order to attend.
Even then, I can't be positive.
Casey Wetherbee
Ithaca '17
Georgetown '21
NAQT Writer
ryanrosenberg
Auron

Post by ryanrosenberg »

There are buses between NYC and Columbus for $60, if you're looking for cheap travel.
Ryan Rosenberg
North Carolina '16
ACF
atai
Lulu

Post by atai »

Chris, thank you for your assistance. Since I captained the NASAT team last year and worked closely with Marianna in the tryout process, I think that it would be best if I organized tryouts. I will be trying out too though, so I'll definitely need you to read while I'm trying out.

Let's first get a list of interested people. Right now I have:

Albert Tai
Casey Wetherbee
Eric Wolfsberg

Let your friends know about this tournament! Once we get a sizable group, I'll send out a poll about tryout dates. I'm thinking of doing this over Hunter's spring break, which is the second week of April. Since I won't be affiliated with the Hunter team while participating in this process, please message me on Facebook instead of the Hunter email if you have any questions or concerns.
Last edited by atai on Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Albert Tai
Columbia University '20
czheng0708
Lulu

Post by czheng0708 »

Just to be clear, I'm not trying out. I'm pretty sure i have a scheduling conflict. But, I'm happy to help out in whatever way you need me to
Christopher Zheng
Urech hydantoin synthesis
Tidus

Post by Urech hydantoin synthesis »

If needed, I can help out with this. I won't be able to drive, but I can also accompany the team to NASAT (to which I probably will also be going on my own volition).
Ben Zhang

Zucker School of Medicine at Hofstra/Northwell '23
Columbia University '18
Ladue Horton Watkins HS '14
atai
Lulu

Post by atai »

Thanks for letting me know, Chris.

Ben, if you could act as Team NY's official coach that would be pretty cool. Of course, this would also require post-game life lessons about what it really means to win or lose.
Albert Tai
Columbia University '20
czheng0708
Lulu

Post by czheng0708 »

Albert, is this happening? Is there any more information?
Christopher Zheng
The Polebarn Hotel
Wakka

czheng0708 wrote:Albert, is this happening? Is there any more information?
It may or may not be happening. We probably won't hold tryouts because there's not enough interest. Transportation might be iffy. I don't even know.
Casey Wetherbee
Ithaca '17
Georgetown '21
NAQT Writer
atai
Lulu

Post by atai »

Pleased to report that Ben Zhang has agreed to be Team NY's coach. He'll be determining the final roster, so speak to him if you (or any of your friends) wish to participate in this tournament.
Albert Tai
Columbia University '20
atai
Lulu

Post by atai »

Crazyflight wrote:
It may or may not be happening. We probably won't hold tryouts because there's not enough interest. Transportation might be iffy. I don't even know.
Also, I spoke to many of you about this through email and Facebook quite a while ago, but for anyone who I didn't get around to talking to: historically, Ed Powers has graciously allowed the NY team to ride in the NJ team's van.
Albert Tai
Columbia University '20
Lo, Marathon Ham!
Wakka

Post by Lo, Marathon Ham! »

Is there even an NJ team this year?
Mohan Malhotra
The Independence School '12
Charter School of Wilmington '16
New York University '20
Wilmington, DE/New York City, NY
Dead Parrot
Wakka

Post by Dead Parrot »

atai wrote:
Crazyflight wrote:
Also, I spoke to many of you about this through email and Facebook quite a while ago, but for anyone who I didn't get around to talking to: historically, Ed Powers has graciously allowed the NY team to ride in the NJ team's van.
Lo, Marathon Ham! wrote:Is there even an NJ team this year?
Mr. Powers informed me about a month ago that he would not be able to accompany the NJ team to NASAT this year, so that most likely means, at the very least, that the van is out. As for the NJ team itself, I haven't seen or heard anything about anyone organizing it.
David Song
Livingston '14, Rutgers '18
The Polebarn Hotel
Wakka

Well, if that's the case, then I don't see how this is going to work. It was a stretch to begin with, at least for myself.
Casey Wetherbee
Ithaca '17
Georgetown '21
NAQT Writer
czheng0708
Lulu

Post by czheng0708 »

When I spoke to Ben Zhang at NHBB, he said there was a van with 5 seats available. I don't know what he was referring to, though. Perhaps, we can hold off until we hear from Ben on the forums.
Christopher Zheng
Bosa of York
Rikku

Post by Bosa of York »

My most sincere apologies, but some stuff has come up and I won't be able to do this. Sorry.
Eric Wolfsberg
Bethlehem Central High School 2016
University of Delaware 2020
Stanford 2025 or whatever
Urech hydantoin synthesis
Tidus

Post by Urech hydantoin synthesis »

czheng0708 wrote:When I spoke to Ben Zhang at NHBB, he said there was a van with 5 seats available. I don't know what he was referring to, though. Perhaps, we can hold off until we hear from Ben on the forums.
That was the NJ van that Albert said was available. Now that it appears that it is not, the next best option is getting buses, finding someone with a car, or not going at all.
Ben Zhang

Zucker School of Medicine at Hofstra/Northwell '23
Columbia University '18
Ladue Horton Watkins HS '14