Southern California (CA) 2015 - 2016 Scheduling

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Eddie
Rikku

Southern California (CA) 2015 - 2016 Scheduling

Post by Eddie »

Howdy, y'all.

In an effort to pull Southern California out of the insulated hellhole that is our Facebook group and website, we will be using this forum to manage a calendar of regular season tournaments in the Southern California region in the 2015 - 2016 season. If you are interested in hosting a tournament or have any other inquiry in regards to the 2015 - 2016 season, this is the place to post.

Potential hosts can have their tournaments added to this schedule by contacting me through this forum, my email, my Facebook, or my physical person.

This season, we are focusing on running larger and fewer tournaments that provide healthy and myriad opportunities for new and rising teams. The 2014 - 2015 season was hampered by an oversaturated circuit, leading to small field sizes, poor outreach, and a concentration of talent in the upper echelons of the circuit at the expense of rising talent.

Here are our goals for the 2015 - 2016 season:
  • A healthy co-existence of regular season tournaments, History Bowl tournaments, and state championships (i.e. no oversaturation)
  • No fewer than three (3) tournaments aimed at or equipped with divisions for novice teams, spread out through the season
  • No fewer than three (3) middle school tournaments, of which at least one is not in San Diego
  • More accessible tournament registration fees counterbalanced by increased tournament field sizes
  • A tournament that breaks the current record for highest number of teams at a regular season tournament (46 teams, 2013 Warhawk II @ Madison HS)
All dates listed are Saturdays unless stated otherwise.

September 5 (Labor Day weekend):
September 12 (ACT):
September 19:
September 26: (Torrey Pines HS - NAQT SSNCT)

October 3 (SAT):
October 10 (Columbus Day weekend): IHOP V (Irvine HS - NAQT IS)
October 17:
October 24 (ACT): Westview Academic Tournament IV (Westview HS - BASK) (novice / varsity)
October 31 (Halloween weekend):

November 7 (SAT):
November 14: Triton Fall V (UC San Diego - CALI)
November 21:
November 28 (Thanksgiving weekend):

December 5 (SAT): TWAIN XIV (UC Los Angeles), (UC San Diego - NAQT MS)
December 12 (ACT):
December 19: (Del Norte HS - NAQT IS)
December 26 (Christmas weekend):

January 9:
January 16 (Martin Luther King Day weekend):
January 23 (SAT):
January 30:

February 6 (ACT):
February 13 (Presidents' Day weekend):
February 20:
February 21 (Sun): (Madison HS - NAQT MS)
February 27: (Arcadia HS - NAQT IS)

March 5 (SAT):
March 12: (Rancho Bernardo HS - BISB)
March 19:
March 26 (Easter weekend): (La Jolla HS - NAQT IS)

April 2:
April 9 (ACT): (North Hollywood HS)
April 16: (Canyon Crest Academy - NAQT MS)
April 23 (Passover weekend): NHBB Nationals
April 30: NAQT SSNCT

May 7 (SAT): NAQT MSNCT
May 14: Triton Spring VI (UC San Diego)
May 21: Triton Pre-Nationals II (UC San Diego)
May 28 (Memorial Day weekend): NAQT HSNCT

June 4 (SAT): PACE NSC
June 11 (ACT):
June 18:
June 25:

Color code:
Blue: regular season tournament
Purple: middle school tournament
Green: national championships
Red: History Bowl

Tournaments that have yet to be placed:
Triton Winter VI (UC San Diego)
Baby Anteater XIV (UC Irvine)
2015 - 2016 Southern California NAQT State Championship
2016 HSAPQ NASAT
Last edited by Eddie on Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:09 pm, edited 26 times in total.
Eddie
he/him/his/hine
UCSD, UCLA
Jason Cheng
Rikku

Re: Southern California (CA) 2015 - 2016 Scheduling

Post by Jason Cheng »

We'll also be maintaining a copy of this schedule with a link to this post on socalquizbowl.org for coaches/teams/captains who don't necessarily peruse these forums
Spheal With It wrote: This season, we are focusing on running larger and fewer tournaments that provide healthy and myriad opportunities for new and rising teams. The 2014 - 2015 season was hampered by an oversaturated circuit, leading to small field sizes, poor outreach, and a concentration of talent in the upper echelons of the circuit at the expense of rising talent.
I see your goal and I announce that UCSD will be hosting all three of its regular-season high school tournaments next year (now with 300% more people-other-than-me directing!), along with a nationals preparation tournament in the vein of Triton Pre-Nationals on DII ICT. We also may replace Triton Novice with a middle school tournament, as it appears UCI is alive and kicking and wants to revive Baby Anteater, their own winter novice tournament in a much more convenient location for novice teams.

As usual, we'll probably also host a non-zero number of collegiate tournaments next year and welcome any high school players who wish to play--this year we hosted PADAWAN, George Oppen, and MUT, and next year we're probably again offering a similar slate of events.
Jason Cheng
Arcadia High School 2013
UCSD 2017
Eddie
Rikku

Post by Eddie »

Those are some nifty stats!

Here's the post on our website; it's basically the same as the email I sent out to hosts and captains just a moment ago.
Eddie
he/him/his/hine
UCSD, UCLA
Eddie
Rikku

Post by Eddie »

Hello, folks.

I'm reiterating a message I just sent out by email to all past and hopeful tournament hosts, but I'm calling the tournament schedule for next year as FULL. NAQT State Championships, UC San Diego's fall middle school tournament, Madison's winter middle school tournament, Triton Winter, Baby Anteater, a potential Harvard Fall Tournament mirror, and a potential Rancho Bernardo tournament have all yet to be placed on the schedule. This gives us anywhere from twelve (12) to fifteen (15) regular season varsity tournaments, and I'm hoping it turns out to be closer to the twelve (12).
Eddie
he/him/his/hine
UCSD, UCLA
oishee
Kimahri

Post by oishee »

Hi everyone, just wanted to confirm that Baby Anteater XIV has a confirmed date of January 9th at UC Irvine, as stated in this post. Hope this clarifies the schedule a little more for everyone.
Oishee Shemontee
Arcadia High School 2008-2012
UC Irvine 2014-2016