William Rufus King Invitational IX at Alabama (10/3/15)

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
helmsinki
Kimahri

William Rufus King Invitational IX at Alabama (10/3/15)

Post by helmsinki »

Hi y’all!

The Alabama Academic Quizbowl Team will be hosting the William Rufus King Invitational IX on Saturday, October 3, 2015!
We will be using NAQT’s IS-147A packet set. PACE has awarded our tournament gold certification, which means that the top 20% of teams will qualify for the PACE NSC, their national high school quizbowl championship, in Chicago June 4th and 5th!
Check-in will run from 7:45-8:30am, we will have a short meeting at 8:45, and the tournament will start at 9:00. All matches will take place in ten Hoor Hall.

Fee structure for the tournament:
$65 for one team
$55 for every additional team
Discounts:
$10 per experienced moderator
$5 per buzzer set (up to two discounts per working set, but feel free to bring more); all of your buzzer sets must work to receive any buzzer discount
$10 per 200 miles traveled according to Google Maps
If this is your first tournament as a program (or your first in five years) or if your team is not sponsored by your school, talk to us and we can work out a payment plan.
Minimum fee: $40 per team

Please send checks to:
AAQT
c/o Helmi Henkin
MSC #873449
1831 University Station
Tuscaloosa, AL 35487

Anyone interested in attending may email [email protected] with how many teams/moderators/buzzers you intend to bring.

Updated list of teams:
Hoover High School; 1 Varsity; 1 JV; 2 buzzer sets
JM Tate High School; 2 Varsity; 1 buzzer set
Springwood School; 1 Varsity
LAMP; 2 Varsity; 1 JV; 2 buzzer sets
Buckhorn High School; 1 Varsity; 1 buzzer set
Good Hope High School; 1 Varsity; 2 buzzer sets
West Point High School; 2 Varsity; 2 JV; 2 buzzer sets
Hewitt-Trussville High School; 1 Varsity; 1 JV
Ramsay High School; 1 Varsity
Vestavia Hills High School; 1 Varsity; 1 JV; 1 buzzer set

See you in October! Roll Tide!
Last edited by helmsinki on Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:43 am, edited 4 times in total.
Helmi Henkin
University of Alabama 2018

quizbowllee
Auron

Re: William Rufus King Invitational IX at Alabama (10/3/15)

Post by quizbowllee »

West Point will be there with at least 3 teams - possibly 4.
Lee Henry
AP English Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
Cullman, AL

quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

Just making sure you got our registration form.

4 teams from West Point.
Lee Henry
AP English Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
Cullman, AL

quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

Thanks for hosting. Overall, I'd say that this tournament went significantly better than WRKs of the past.

Any idea when we might see stats?
Lee Henry
AP English Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
Cullman, AL

Joshua Rutsky
Tidus

Post by Joshua Rutsky »

Big plus: A tourney that, from my understanding, ran pretty solidly on time and with good readers.

One minus that has returned, however: lack of trophies. I understand wanting to minimize costs, but if you are hosting a high-school level tournament and charging $50+ per team to attend, you need to have trophies or plaques for the winning teams. You don't have to break the bank on this, but a decent quality trophy runs as little as $10. Hardware matters to a high school team. Funding is based on visible success in a lot of schools. Coming back and saying "we won!" matters to a principal, but if you leave a nice trophy or two on his/her desk, you've got something they see regularly that reminds them "Hey, we have a strong academic team. We should fund that, too!"

If you don't intend to offer trophies or plaques, SAY SO UP FRONT so people aren't surprised at the end of the day. It probably shouldn't be assumed that this is what you are going to do, but even so, better to make your plans clear. To be clear, I would not have considered this a deal-breaker if I had known it before the event, but it came as a rather disappointing surprise for my players.
Joshua Rutsky
President, Alabama Scholastic Competition Association
Hoover HS Coach, 2007-2019
Member of the Qwiz Team!

quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

I agree whole-heartedly with Coach Rutsky in regards to lack of trophies. Books as prizes might be acceptable in college. But, in high school, administrators, parents, and - yes - players and coaches expect trophies or plaques to display. In fact, we are often dependent upon them to secure funds, press, and recruitment.

Awards are by no means cost prohibitive. At our tournaments, we generally get trophies for the top 3 or 4 overall teams, the top 2-3 JV teams, the top Small Schools, and the top Private/Magnet schools. We try to give as many trophies as reasonably possible because we understand the importance of taking something tangible back to school to display. Despite all those awards - and we get NICE ones, too - we've never spent more than $200 total on trophies. West Point's entry fees alone would've covered the costs of awards.

Like Coach Rutsky said, it wouldn't necessarily be a deal breaker if you announced beforehand that there would be no awards. But, it is definitely something to consider. There are some schools who definitely wouldn't attend a tournament if they knew there were no awards for placing.

Overall the tournament went well. There were some moderator issues that I don't want to get into right now. But, for the most part, this was an enormous improvement over WRK tournaments of years past. But, Coach Rutsky is absolutely correct: you really, really need to take a small amount of the money you make from these events and invest it in some trophies for the top teams.
Lee Henry
AP English Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
Cullman, AL

quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

Sorry to be persistent, but can we please get the stats? My players are dying to see how they stacked up. I'm also very interested to see the individual and team scores from the whole tournament. Some of us (myself included) are stat hounds. I know the stats were finished at the tournament Saturday, so why haven't they been posted yet?
Lee Henry
AP English Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
Cullman, AL

jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

quizbowllee wrote:Sorry to be persistent, but can we please get the stats? My players are dying to see how they stacked up. I'm also very interested to see the individual and team scores from the whole tournament. Some of us (myself included) are stat hounds. I know the stats were finished at the tournament Saturday, so why haven't they been posted yet?
Stats are in the process of being posted to https://www.naqt.com/stats/tournament-t ... nt_id=6704.
Jonah Greenthal
National Academic Quiz Tournaments