VA/MD/DC '05-'06 Date Claiming Thread

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
BuzzerZen
Auron

Post by BuzzerZen »

Just so we can stay trendy...

TJ will be hosting its NAQT tournament, the NAQT JIAT 2005 on October 1, 2005 (note date change), and its house-written (related bonuses again this year, for those who care) tournament, the JIAT 2006, on January 14, 2006.

Edit: Changed NAQT date.
Last edited by BuzzerZen on Thu May 05, 2005 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Evan Silberman
Hampshire College 07F

How are you actually reading one of my posts?
yangsta
Wakka

For those who journey to Charlottesville

Post by yangsta »

U.Va. is tentatively scheduling our tournaments for:

2005-10-29: Cavalier Classic X (house-written questions; open to all schools)
2006-02-25: Cavalier Open III (NAQT questions; open to all schools)
2006-spring: (pending) NAQT Virginia (VA only)

This thread would be a good place to point out scheduling-related items for the DC/MD/VA region... Many dates (e.g. TV tapings) have yet to be determined, but hey.

I'll start. SAT test dates:
Oct. 8, 2005
Nov. 5, 2005
Dec. 3, 2005
Jan. 28, 2006
Apr. 1, 2006
May 6, 2006
Jun. 3, 2006
The Goffman Prophecies
Quizbowl Detective Extraordinaire

Post by The Goffman Prophecies »

Not that it's really that trendy - the other thread seemed to be more of a necessity to meet a publication date.

But, the Maryland Invitational (It's Academic style questions) will tenatively be held October 16, 2005.
Last edited by The Goffman Prophecies on Sat May 07, 2005 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dan Goff
HSQB sysadmin

Virginia Tech '13
South Carolina '15
and a couple other places
Not Thomas Dale HS

STAAATS
msuter
Lulu

Post by msuter »

Spotswood is tentatively planning for ACT I on November 19, 2005 and ACT II March 18, 2006.

Spotswood will be having some coaching changes as Meredith Zirkle, current head coach, will be interning as an assistant elementary principal for the coming school year. Once the head coaching position is filled, we will finalize plans for the invitationals.
shylar
Lulu

hammond tournaments: january 7 and march 25

Post by shylar »

hammond will be hosting its green eggs and hammond invitational january 7, the first saturday of the new year, per usual. this tournament is open to everyone, and includes entirely in-house questions, a coaches' round, and simultaneous game play for all teams.

we are bidding on the official maryland state naqt championship, which will be held march 25 if we are the winning bid. this will be open only to maryland schools.
Encyclopedia Brown
Lulu

Post by Encyclopedia Brown »

Is Gov planning any tourneys next season? Also, "Battle of the Brains," the TV tournament conducted in Richmond and Tidewater Virginia, is hosting its qualifier test on June 4. Seniors on a team are not eligible to take the test. The Richmond-area test will be given at L.C. Bird in Chesterfield, and I am not sure about the Tidewater area test.
blazer06
Lulu

Post by blazer06 »

Blair is planning to have a tournament October 22, 2005, and February 18, 2006. Of course, if it ends up like most Blair tournament plans....
gsacdirector
Lulu

Post by gsacdirector »

Gov is indeed planning tourneys next season. Most likely we'll host one around December 10 again, and next year we will also probably host one in the spring, tentatively sometime in April.
Apocrypha
Lulu

Post by Apocrypha »

Centennial is planning to hold a tournament Oct 1.
bigtrain
Rikku

Post by bigtrain »

Walter Johnson High School is tentatively planning to run a tournament featuring house written questions on either September 17, or November 12, 2005.
Alex Price
Walter Johnson 2006
Emory University 2010
Zip Zap Rap Pants
Yuna

Post by Zip Zap Rap Pants »

hey what happened with va tech? are they still going to host a tournament next year? last november's was canceled of course....
Matt Morrison, William & Mary '10, Tour Guide &c., MA in History '12?

"All the cool people eat mangoes while they smoke blunts and do cannonballs off a trampoline into my hot tub..."
-Matt Weiner

“In beer there is strength,
In wine is wisdom,
In water is germs.”
-Unknown

new email: mpmorr at email dot wm dot edu
STPickrell
Auron

Post by STPickrell »

VHSL States will be on Febrary 25.

I will send a letter encouraging Regions to hold their tournaments on February 4 and for Districts to hold their tournaments on January 21. I will encourage both Districts and Regions to hold weekday tournaments.

Some Regions will simply be unable to do that due to the distances involved (especially the AAA Northwestern Region and A Region C.)

If coaches of active tournament teams were to also encourage their AD's to have SB tournaments during the week, this would also be a greater help. I do not have the power to force Districts and Regions to abide by my rules OR ELSE.

99% of the time, however, this is a good thing. :smile:
Shawn Pickrell, HSAPQ CFO
caulfiej
Kimahri

Blake September 17

Post by caulfiej »

I posted this on the "Regular Season Tournaments" string about a month ago. Blake High School 5th Annual Tournament September 17.
Encyclopedia Brown
Lulu

VA/MD/DC 05-06 Claiming Thread

Post by Encyclopedia Brown »

In some locales, exams are beginning around January 21, so some districts will be having their tournaments earlier. Also, are some districts and regions switching to regular season as opposed to round-robin? Even though I no longer play at the high school level, I am still a curious consultant.
Dave Porter,
Assistant coach in the Peninsula area
W&M (trash only) (2008-present)
CNU Quizbowl (2007)
Freeman HS President (2003-2005)
STPickrell
Auron

Re: VA/MD/DC 05-06 Claiming Thread

Post by STPickrell »

dsfquizbowl wrote:In some locales, exams are beginning around January 21, so some districts will be having their tournaments earlier. Also, are some districts and regions switching to regular season as opposed to round-robin? Even though I no longer play at the high school level, I am still a curious consultant.
Most regions still play a double-elim tournament at regionals. The Central Region's the only one I know of that plays a round-robin for regionals.

We had polled the coaches a few years back and they overwhelmingly (by something like 80-15%-5%) preferred a double-elim to a round-robin to a single-elim format for states.

Probably a bit over half the Districts play a regular season of some sort by this point; most of the ones who do, simply took their earlier regular season competitions and slapped the VHSL rules and format onto it, using VHSL questions. Some districts still use their earlier formats and others have a hard time getting together for one cold, chilly Saturday in January.
Shawn Pickrell, HSAPQ CFO
Snoopy17
Lulu

Virginia Tech Invitational for next season.

Post by Snoopy17 »

As to Mr. Morrisons question about a Virginia Tech tournament. The most probable time for a tourney would be spring. I have no clue since I have not discussed it with our advisor or team. I know my schedule is better in the spring and that I will be writting four or more packets for the invitational. We also (most likely) will be attending cbi regionals and naqt sectionals so those dates whenever they will be announced will not be optional. Any suggestions on dates would be appreciated.
Zip Zap Rap Pants
Yuna

Post by Zip Zap Rap Pants »

November actually wasn't that bad, as long as you avoid the Princeton tournament. But spring should be fine depending on when you do it; seems like the quizbowl season gets mighty busy in VA up until NAQT states in mid-April. Thanks for letting us know though. Oh and GSACdirector (that'd be Angela) forgot to mention (and so did I), that we had a meeting a couple weeks ago and we're probably doing an NAQT tournament in the last weekend of September and our house one same weekend as before (Dec. 10), give or take a week. Not 100% on either one yet but that's what we're on track for, already started writing for the house one :wink:
Matt Morrison, William & Mary '10, Tour Guide &c., MA in History '12?

"All the cool people eat mangoes while they smoke blunts and do cannonballs off a trampoline into my hot tub..."
-Matt Weiner

“In beer there is strength,
In wine is wisdom,
In water is germs.”
-Unknown

new email: mpmorr at email dot wm dot edu
bigtrain
Rikku

Post by bigtrain »

BuzzerZen wrote:TJ will be hosting its NAQT tournament, the NAQT JIAT 2005 on October 1, 2005 (note date change)
I'm confused, will the date be October 1 or October 15 as is said on NAQT's website?
BuzzerZen
Auron

Post by BuzzerZen »

October 1st is the correct date. I e-mailed NAQT and they will hopefully update their website soon.
Evan Silberman
Hampshire College 07F

How are you actually reading one of my posts?