Berkeley HS Novice Tournament (October 10th)

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Bensuva
Kimahri

Berkeley HS Novice Tournament (October 10th)

Post by Bensuva »

Hello all,

The Berkeley High School Quiz Bowl club will be hosting a novice quiz bowl tournament on Saturday, October 10th, 2015 at Berkeley HS in Berkeley, CA! The tournament will be run in order to provide an introduction to quiz bowl without any prior experience necessary and to demonstrate what a truly fun activity quiz bowl is! We highly encourage teams from around NorCal to come. 

This event is taking place on the same day (using the same set) as the Valley Christian Novice tournament in the South Bay. Teams may compete at either.

The tournament set will be National Academic Quiz Tournaments’ (NAQT) Invitational Series 149-A, which is aimed at teams with little to no experience. Teams will be restricted to at most 6 players, with 4 players playing at any given time and 2 on the bench. Please be aware that the majority of teams will be teams with new players.

Practice questions of approximate difficulty can be found here.

All teams of high schoolers from the same school are eligible to play in this event, although players who have competed at the NAQT High School National Championship Tournament or the PACE National Scholastic Championship in the past two years must receive special permission to play from Nicholas Karas (njsking(at)hotmail(dot)com).

Tournament Logistics: The tournament will take place at Berkeley HS at 1980 Allston Way, Berkeley, CA. We recommend teams take public transportation to the tournament (school is very close to BART).

Room/building number TBD. 

We will have registration begin at 8:30AM, will have a brief introduction to quiz bowl for novices, and we hope to begin the first round by 9:00. We project that the tournament will run from 9 until about 4:30pm, with an hour break for lunch at around noon. For lunch, teams can bring food, order food, or go out and get it.

Fees

base fee: $60 per team

–$10 for all additional teams from the same school

–$20 for teams from schools that have not competed at a pyramidal quiz bowl tournament before the 2015-16 school year: “pyramidal quiz bowl” does not encompass other academic/trivia competitions like Science Bowl or Quiz Kids

–$10 per working buzzer 

–$10 per staffer (must stay whole day)

Minimum entry fee: $20 per team

Payment (cash or check) will be taken at registration on Oct 10.

We urge teams attending to bring buzzers and staffers if available. Though we do not expect that teams have played tournaments previously, we will enforce all the gameplay rules as they are written in Sections D-H of the official rules of the Academic Competition Federation, so all players must fully familiarize themselves with these rules before proceeding. Pay special attention to timing, pronunciation, and protest guidelines.

You can find out more about what quiz bowl is here.

Registration: Fill out this registration form no later than Wednesday, October 7.

Questions? Contact TD Nicholas Karas (njsking(at)hotmail(dot)com)
Ben Suva
Berkeley High
njsbling
Rikku

Re: Berkeley HS Novice Tournament (October 10th)

Post by njsbling »

Field (as of 10/9): (16)
Amador Valley (4)
Berkeley HS (1)
Davis (5)
Deer Valley (1)
Dublin (1)
Key (1)
Lowell (1)
Monte Vista (2)
Last edited by njsbling on Fri Oct 09, 2015 4:29 pm, edited 13 times in total.
Nicholas Karas
Atlanta, Georgia
Member, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
californiacupquizbowl (at) gmail (dot) com
enochsqb
Kimahri

Post by enochsqb »

Oops! I accidentally signed up for the Berkeley Tournament when I meant to sign up for the San Jose tournament! I have already submitted the San Jose tournament form, and I left a note saying that I signed up for Berkeley as well when I shouldn't have. How can I fix this problem?
Thi Bui
Enochs High School
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Important Bird Area »

enochsqb wrote:Oops! I accidentally signed up for the Berkeley Tournament when I meant to sign up for the San Jose tournament! I have already submitted the San Jose tournament form, and I left a note saying that I signed up for Berkeley as well when I shouldn't have. How can I fix this problem?
Nicholas and I are reading both threads, so we'll take care of this. See you in San Jose!
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
njsbling
Rikku

Post by njsbling »

Prelims: http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournament ... s/prelims/

Final Results: http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournament ... all_games/

Congrats to Davis B for winning the North Bay Fall Novice tournament! A big thanks to all of our team and UC Berkeley staff who helped out! Also a big thanks to Ben from Berkeley HS for getting us the rooms.
Nicholas Karas
Atlanta, Georgia
Member, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
californiacupquizbowl (at) gmail (dot) com