Predictions for Next Year

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
bigtrain
Rikku

Post by bigtrain »

I was wondering, who do you think will be good within each region and on a national level in the 2005-2006 season?
Alex Price
Walter Johnson 2006
Emory University 2010
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

Post by Irreligion in Bangladesh »

Illinois: Auburn, New Trier, and Wheaton North at Class AA. Winnebago, Latin, and Lisle at Class A.

National: Richard Montgomery will be a national contender, along with TJ. I'm not sure how many juniors stack up on the rest of the teams, but State College and Mission San Jose should be up there as well. Brookwood should also do better this year, as they have many juniors on their top teams going to another year of ACE camp this summer.
Ben Dillon
Rikku

Post by Ben Dillon »

Indiana: The three teams that return the most good players are Harrison (state champ) and St. Joseph's (yes, I'm biased), who both did well at NAC, and Culver Academy, who competed at PACE. Indianapolis Brebeuf Jesuit has one excellent player who is returning, but they did not compete in the state tournament or at any nationals. State runnerup Hamilton Southeastern competed at NAC, but I'm not sure how many players they return.
Last edited by Ben Dillon on Thu Jun 30, 2005 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ben Dillon, Saint Joseph HS

"Why, sometimes I've believed as many as
six impossible things before breakfast!"
solonqb
Rikku

Post by solonqb »

Ohio: Fisher Catholic, Copley, Garfield Heights, and Tippecanoe will contend. Solon...will be undergoing some rebuilding, to say the least.
Noah Rahman
Welcome to Simbabwe, where the property is already owned and the houses built and you compete to burn and dispossess them. Compete with Robert Mugabe, Canaan Banana, Cecil Rhodes and Sir Godfrey Huggins to earn a place on the all-time EU travel ban list!
Stained Diviner
Auron

Post by Stained Diviner »

If you're on my team, don't read the following: Fremd and Stevenson will be better than New Trier next year.
Trevkeeper
Tidus

Post by Trevkeeper »

No need to not read that, it's obvious. Fremd is returning a First Team All State player, and even though they lost the rest of their starters, their players coming from F/S should be strong enough. Stevenson is the defending champ, but they lost at least Jordan, their best player, but I'm not sure who else. Their F/S was pretty darn good last year, winning the WN tourney I believe (and beating us fairly handily in the process). From WN, I know Devin and Jim are leaving, but I'm not sure who else is leaving. Greg will probably be on Varsity full time next year (He might even have been last year as a Freshman). They'll be good, but I don't think as good as a few years ago. I currently think New Trier is fairly unpredictable. That is, we could make it all the way to state (hear that, Greg?), or we could get knocked out at regionals. It really depends how much effort we put in this summer. I also don't know who will be starting...I can think of at least two seniors for sure, one of which will (most likely) be the captain, but after that I don't know. Also, said seniors might be involved in other activities, so we'll see where that goes. I'm hoping for good things, but there's big shoes to fill, what with the big 3 doing that whole graduating thing. We were able to rely on them this year, and we'll have to fend for ourselves (oh, the horror) in 05-06. I hope we do well, but alas, so does everyone.

Oh, one more thing: My sleeper team (if you can call them that) for 05-06 is Loyola. They went to sectionals on a mostly (4/5, I believe) underclassmen bunch. Also, St. Ignatius, maybe. Just a hunch.

And, Dec Mac will probably be good, just not as good after losing their best player.

And that's my expert analysis. :grin:

Ah, I almost forgot...national level, I think Maggie Walker will be pretty darn good. They had a sophomore who was like 5th at NAQT.
Nick, IU and Aegis Questions
DumbJaques
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by DumbJaques »

National: Richard Montgomery will be a national contender, along with TJ. I'm not sure how many juniors stack up on the rest of the teams, but State College and Mission San Jose should be up there as well. Brookwood should also do better this year, as they have many juniors on their top teams going to another year of ACE camp this summer.
RM is losing two of our seniors. It's not going to be easy at all to replace them, but our B team had immense success this year (t13th at NAQT nats), so hopefully we can move up some good players. TJ was probably hit the hardest by graduation, on the whole, of any of the top teams. However, TJ B will move up three players and should be extremely competitive. I believe that Mission San Jose is graduating their top player, who seemed to be be the vast majority of that team. Brookwood is losing a lot of seniors, and while their returning players look good, it's a hard hit to take.

It seems that most of the teams which featured one or two really dominant players are breaking up (with, unsurprisingly the departure of said players). Solon loses Noah, Gonzaga loses Mike Kettler, Dupont loses Abhinav, etc. And I'm pretty sure Mike Braun won't be playing for Blake (or any other high school) next year.

Don't get me wrong, any one of those teams is fully capable of playing at an extremely high level next year. The list of teams who have come back from massive graduation losses is long.

I imagine DCC will be very good next year, as will Gov, who had no seniors last year at all.

Bottom line, it's absolutely anyone's game right now. And it's likely going to be until June of next year. At least it'll be interesting.
Chris Ray
OSU
University of Chicago, 2016
University of Maryland, 2014
ACF, PACE
No Sollositing On Premise
Tidus

Post by No Sollositing On Premise »

I think the best teams in the country next year will be DCC, Maggie Walker, Richard Montgomery, St. John's, and TJ, in some order. DCC returns Knight, so they'll be strong, certainly. I imagine that they'll dominate in the midwest and be a strong force at Nationals. Gov returns EVERYONE, and both Xun and Mark should be on everyone's short list of the nation's elite players; the scary part is that their '07 class may be even stronger than their '06, but it's far too early to talk about that. Richard Montgomery returns Chris Ray, which is reason enough to worry, but they've had nothing but solid performance from their non-A teams the past two years, so I'm sure they can ably replace any lost seniors (I know that Humza and at least one of the girls on B team were seniors, but are there others?). The only prediction I'll make about TJ is that they'll score real high on the KMO and be a contender at any tournament they attend. They lost I believe ten seniors, but a team of Neel, Scott, Evan, and Charlotte is trouble. St. John's might seem like a surprise pick from me, who admittedly hasn't seen them play all year, but they return the top four scorers from their successful NAQT team (t13), and I have tremendous faith in the St. John's program, which has had many recent outstanding teams, including last year's consensus top five squad.

So there you have it, in no particular order, DCC, Gov, RichMo, TJ, and St. John's. Good luck to everyone next year.
Mike Sollosi, University of Virginia
Manyo2
Lulu

Post by Manyo2 »

Dupont, as mentioned above, definetely loses a good deal to graduation. Abhinav was obviously big and we also lose Albert from the A team who was a key contributor.

We return our second and third leading scorers from NAQT as well as another junior who was on our B team which performed pretty well there and throughout the year. We have several other quality players on the team and hopefully at least one of them will step it up.

In Kentucky, Dunbar looks to be loaded next year, and Russell returns their entire team which apparently did quite well at NAC.

Nationally Gov looks like the top team on paper to me, although after having played both the Rich Mo A and B teams and knowing that several of those players return they definetely stand out to me as well.
djayboots
Lulu

Post by djayboots »

RM B was incredibly impressive at NAQT, so they'll definitely be strong next year. Sadly, I never got to see RM A or TJ B play at NAQT or PACE. Gov and DCC will of course be national contenders.

My prediction for Northern California is that no one from around here will make playoffs at any nationals, unless the Harker School (very good this year, solid next year) decides to start traveling. Bentley returns their entire 5-5 team, but their seniors usually don't go to HSNCT because of graduation conflicts, so I'm not sure how that'll work out.
bigtrain
Rikku

Post by bigtrain »

In the Maryland/Virginia/DC region, the area will probobaly be five powerful teams in 2005-2006: Blair, Governor's School, Thomas Jefferson, Walter Johnson and Richard Montgomery. Unlike last year when there was that TJ monster of a team taking first at every tournament, this year promises to have much more interesting finals as any of those teams could probobaly take first at any given tournament. The strong teams from last year that will probobaly have an off year due to graduation are Eleanor Roosevelt, Gonzaga, Centennial, Blake(?) and GDS. Despite the fall of these teams, I am pretty sure there will be more local participation at nationals from local teams, or at least at the PACE NSC due to their site's close proximity in North Carolina. Another piece of good news is that many of the remaining powerhouses this year seem to have a stronger commitment to pyramidal questions and regular quiz bowl tournaments rather than the "It's Academic" fetish that has held the region for the past 15 years.
Alex Price
Walter Johnson 2006
Emory University 2010
Wedge
Lulu

plug

Post by Wedge »

My old team, Rufus King (PAC's Team WI), looks like it may be a regional powerhouse this coming year. They likely won't play many games outside of a handful of Wisconsin NAQT tournaments, but when time comes for NAQT Nationals and Panasonic, they should be strong contenders. They return their captain, Eva, who finished quite highly in her first appearance at nationals. I doubt they'll threaten the TJs and Dormans, but perhaps quarterfinals?
ok_quizbowl
Lulu

Oklahoma

Post by ok_quizbowl »

It's difficult to say, given that many of our teams won't travel outside of Oklahoma until nationals. Next year will be an off one in Oklahoma, but I think the best teams will be:

1) Holland Hall. Don't think they'll contend at NAC or anywhere else, given that they're losing everything, but given their powerful JV, they're still the best in Oklahoma.

2) Booker T. Washington. Difficult to say, as a team that did quite well at NAC was unimpressive at state and nearly lost to Durant. They'll probably do more of the same next year, underachieving in state but doing well elsewhere.

3) Jenks. Yeah, I know, who? Oklahoma's leading scorer at PAC (not that this means much, given our sorry performance there) was a freshman from Jenks named Martin Ye. Next year he is joined by an 8th grader named Amy Tai who would have qualified for Oklahoma's PAC team had the competition allowed eighth graders. If anyone at all organizes this team, they will be quite formidable.

4) Drummond. The bus keeps rolling. 11 consecutive Oklahoma state small-school titles. Junior Shannon Rodenberg leads three returning starters and given that they won their division in both the freshman and middle-school state tournaments, there's no reason to think #12 isn't heading their way, especially since traditional A-B rivals Kremlin-Hillsdale and Oklahoma Bible Academy are both losing their whole teams.

5) Santa Fe. Sara Vaughn quit right before nationals and left SF in the lurch, but they have two starters back and should have far less drama than last year. Another team like Jenks that has endless possibilities mainly on paper so far, but does have a veteran coach who might pull it together.

6) Edmond Homeschool. Losing three starters but also blessed with a fairly solid JV.

7) Edmond Memorial. Sank to embarrassing new lows in 2005 when a loss to lowly Moore ended their state tournament appearance streak at 15. Lost two starters but in this case that might be a blessing. May still be a year away from returning to prominence.

Other possibilities include OC Classen, Broken Arrow, Bishop Kelley, and Plainview.
trial and error
Lulu

Post by trial and error »

laszlow wrote:Richard Montgomery returns Chris Ray, which is reason enough to worry, but they've had nothing but solid performance from their non-A teams the past two years, so I'm sure they can ably replace any lost seniors (I know that Humza and at least one of the girls on B team were seniors, but are there others?).
This year's loss is numerically lower than last year's, as RM is graduating four players from three teams: two from A (including Humza) and two from B (both girls you were referring to). RM C, generally all-underclassmen, also earned a separate bid to NAQT, but the Chicago team was a combined B/C team.
Even the simplist task can be done rong.
potato0328
Lulu

Post by potato0328 »

As far as Illinois goes...
I think you'll see the same teams (Stevenson, NT, Auburn, Wheaton North in no particular order) competing at class AA. I personally am watching out for Auburn, because it seems like it's about time for Kerr to bring home a state title. I think you'll see one more good year out of my school (Fremd). We have Beata coming back, and now that he's really our only social studies person he should get a scary amount of toss-ups. I agree with the assessment of Loyola as a surprise team. Two years ago, our frosh/soph teams battled a few times, and they were by far the toughest team we saw all season, including the Big Four I listed above.
directly from Fremd High School...
fluffy4102
Wakka

Post by fluffy4102 »

laszlow wrote:I think the best teams in the country next year will be DCC, Maggie Walker, Richard Montgomery, St. John's, and TJ, in some order. DCC returns Knight, so they'll be strong, certainly. I imagine that they'll dominate in the midwest and be a strong force at Nationals. Gov returns EVERYONE, and both Xun and Mark should be on everyone's short list of the nation's elite players; the scary part is that their '07 class may be even stronger than their '06, but it's far too early to talk about that. Richard Montgomery returns Chris Ray, which is reason enough to worry, but they've had nothing but solid performance from their non-A teams the past two years, so I'm sure they can ably replace any lost seniors (I know that Humza and at least one of the girls on B team were seniors, but are there others?). The only prediction I'll make about TJ is that they'll score real high on the KMO and be a contender at any tournament they attend. They lost I believe ten seniors, but a team of Neel, Scott, Evan, and Charlotte is trouble. St. John's might seem like a surprise pick from me, who admittedly hasn't seen them play all year, but they return the top four scorers from their successful NAQT team (t13), and I have tremendous faith in the St. John's program, which has had many recent outstanding teams, including last year's consensus top five squad.

So there you have it, in no particular order, DCC, Gov, RichMo, TJ, and St. John's. Good luck to everyone next year.
St. John's had a rebuilding year. The first tournament of the year we had three teams, but by the end of the year, participation dwindled to only five or six team members per practice. In addition, the practices were very informal and kind of empty as mentioned before. This next year seems to be bright since the mentioned top four scorers are returning, and the attendance of the practices will increase with the incoming of some siblings of current and former members of the team along with some JV people. I can certainly tell you that the HSNCT experience was informative on how we could certainly improve in the coming year.

note the shameless plug... it's quite sad

I forgot to mention...

Plano East is strong, but Nanney is reckless with the buzzer. Cistercian is strong, but is losing a major contributor. Bellaire is probably going to do well as always. Only if more of Texas could move away from :chip:
Last edited by fluffy4102 on Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Zach Yeung
St. John's '08
Rice University '12
Biochemistry and Cell Biology and Political Science
jrbarry
Tidus

Post by jrbarry »

In Georgia, I would expect Heritage to have a shlight edge in terms of returning starters. Walton will be strong and I am hoping my Brookwood team will be as well. Chattahoochee has a new coach and I am expecting big things out of them in the next few years. Parkview has a coterie of strong rising juniors. Westminster and Woodward and Henry County could contend. Central-Macon is a mystery to me, at least for next year. Camp always gives me some indication about where teams are for next year.

As an aside, merely counting returning starters may not always be a good way of predicting success. This 04-05 Brookwood team had only ONE returning starter but did better than any Brookwood team since 1995-96.
cvdwightw
Auron

Post by cvdwightw »

Someone from California will make some sort of noise at NAQT. It's happened almost every year. Right now my best guess is Santa Monica. They graduate everyone who went this year but they've got enough players left for two solid teams.
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

Trev, thanks for the compliment, but next year, dec mac will be nothing.
ChopinManiac
Lulu

Post by ChopinManiac »

Hey Mr. Barry,

Thx for not even mentioning Milton on your list of Georgia teams next year :mad: . I mean cmon, were we that bad?
toraarashii
Kimahri

Teams

Post by toraarashii »

Hey does nobody care about AA or A Jr. High School teams?
If you are in Arkansas look out for these teams...
~Harding Acadamy-AA: I don't believe they lost state...
~Concord-A: Yeah, I don't believe it either
~Mt. Pleasant-A: Hey, they might not even exist after next year
~Pangburn-AA: We've got a whole bunch of extremely smart 6th graders moving into Jr. High this year. Oh and look out for Pangburn players with the initials EB, JA, JP, SD, and quite possibly in the future, AM and NH.
On the way to the AA Jr. High State Finals 2006! GO TIGERS!!!
quiz4life
Lulu

Post by quiz4life »

I venture a guess that my now ex-team Shanghai American will make some noise next year at NAQT and NAC. The team returns all their players and considering that three of the five team members were true underclassman, that bodes well. Also the team gained invaluable experience at NAQT & NAC. We had no idea what we were getting into with these tournaments and yet the team did well. The highlight at NAQT was losing to Dorman by just five points. The experience the team gained at NAQT did them well at NAC as they went 6-0 and finished the prelims ranked second.
Overall we had a great time at both tournaments.

Michael Harvey
Abu Dhabi, UAE
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

quiz4life wrote:I venture a guess that my now ex-team Shanghai American will make some noise next year at NAQT and NAC. The team returns all their players and considering that three of the five team members were true underclassman, that bodes well. Also the team gained invaluable experience at NAQT & NAC. We had no idea what we were getting into with these tournaments and yet the team did well. The highlight at NAQT was losing to Dorman by just five points. The experience the team gained at NAQT did them well at NAC as they went 6-0 and finished the prelims ranked second.
Overall we had a great time at both tournaments.

Michael Harvey
Abu Dhabi, UAE
Well, I guess if you guys are going to write off PACE then... :)
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
Pimping Green Tea Ginger Ale (Canada Dry)
mrs. dalloway
Lulu

Post by mrs. dalloway »

Illinois Class AA:

Stevenson graduated 10 players; Auburn graduated 1, who didn't even play at State. Just saying...

I think Fremd will be one of the toughest to beat. As has been said, they've got Beata. And after ACE camp, I'm rather frightened of Dec Mac. Donald may claim that they'll be nothing without him, but there's a fair number of underclassmen who will be getting their chance to shine now that he's gone. Watch out for Jared Carter, who was something of a force to be reckoned with at camp.
"That's the problem with real life. People don't just break into musical song and dance."
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

I know I said that. I am simply going on what I have seen. Yes, Jared will be someone to watch out for, but as for the rest of the team, who knows.
Trevkeeper
Tidus

Post by Trevkeeper »

Jared Carter was an awesome kid, he was on my team one night. And yes, he is quite good.
quiz4life
Lulu

Post by quiz4life »

Mr. E. T. Chuck,
The problem for the Shanghai school and attending PACE is that the team nd its former coach (me!) is that your web site is blocked by the Chinese government! I kid you not. I am not sure why but it is not available, nor is Mr. Barry's quiz camp. As of August 5 I will be living in Abu Dhabi and I will view, well hopefully view your site there. The other big problem is Shanghai and any other international schools will want to do two tournaments (it is a long flight for one day of quiz!) and ideally in the same city. NAC and NAQT were both in Chicago and it looks the same for next year. Where is PACE bring held?
Michael Harvey
Trevkeeper
Tidus

Post by Trevkeeper »

NAC and NAQT were both in Chicago and it looks the same for next year.
They already annonced where NAQT is going to be held?
quiz4life
Lulu

Post by quiz4life »

No nothing is decided-well not that I know of. I just know that NAQT was seriously considering Chicago.
Oh yes, sorry about the typos on my last post. That will teach me for trying to write quickly while I am on holiday. Hey that typhon just missed me. I am on a small island off Xiamen-just next to Taiwan.
Michael Harvey
NotjustoldWASPs
Wakka

Post by NotjustoldWASPs »

A yet unmentioned potential threat in DC area: TJ B

We did lose a TON of seniors at the end of 04-05...but the members of the class of 08 (of which at least two will be on B) are very good...they scare me sometimes...and they, as any good Quizbowler, will improve with time.

Just keep that in mind...
Encyclopedia Brown
Lulu

Post by Encyclopedia Brown »

In the Richmond area, Maggie Walker once again is the team to beat. However, Charlottesville should still be a force. St. Chris, Godwin and Freeman are still contenders. Freeman was badly hit by graduation, but has rebounded thanks to recruiting.
Dave Porter,
Assistant coach in the Peninsula area
W&M (trash only) (2008-present)
CNU Quizbowl (2007)
Freeman HS President (2003-2005)
rchschem
Yuna

Post by rchschem »

quiz4life wrote:Mr. E. T. Chuck,
The problem for the Shanghai school and attending PACE is that the team nd its former coach (me!) is that your web site is blocked by the Chinese government!
I, for one, am looking forward to attending the world's most subversive quiz bowl tournament next June.

Raleigh Charter loves freedom.

Eric
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

quiz4life wrote:Mr. E. T. Chuck,
The problem for the Shanghai school and attending PACE is that the team and its former coach (me!) is that your web site is blocked by the Chinese government! I kid you not. I am not sure why but it is not available, nor is Mr. Barry's quiz camp. As of August 5 I will be living in Abu Dhabi and I will view, well hopefully view your site there. The other big problem is Shanghai and any other international schools will want to do two tournaments (it is a long flight for one day of quiz!) and ideally in the same city. NAC and NAQT were both in Chicago and it looks the same for next year. Where is PACE bring held?
Michael Harvey
Hmm... that's awful. I suppose that there are enough infidels at Duke to block its IP addresses. Hopefully we will get that resolved though I suppose I cannot rely on politics for that. :)

Good luck in your move. NSC 2006 will be in Durham at North Carolina School for Science and Mathematics on June 17-18. The dates for the 2007 NSC will be June 16-17 with site still to be determined. I guess the best thing to do is to have your group email me persistently.

Strangely enough when I was touring China a couple of years ago (granted near Hong Kong), I still was able to get onto various websites I authored ... maybe the controls just got tighter over the last year.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
solonqb
Rikku

Post by solonqb »

Maybe you did something to make them angry, Dr. Chuck. ;)
Noah Rahman
Welcome to Simbabwe, where the property is already owned and the houses built and you compete to burn and dispossess them. Compete with Robert Mugabe, Canaan Banana, Cecil Rhodes and Sir Godfrey Huggins to earn a place on the all-time EU travel ban list!
DVader
Wakka

Post by DVader »

My views of Alabama from California:

Teams to look out for (in no particular order): Covenant Christian (top players are seniors), Brindlee Mountain (good show at nationals), LAMP and Grissom (for old times sake), Hoover and Vestavia (up and comers), JCIB (another perrenial stater), and maybe ASFA (might do ok). Anyone got any other suggestions?
David John Gagne,
University of Oklahoma
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

solonqb wrote:Maybe you did something to make them angry, Dr. Chuck. ;)
Well, I'm pretty sure it has something about being Chinese. :)
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
---
fluffy4102
Wakka

Post by fluffy4102 »

E.T. Chuck wrote:
solonqb wrote:Maybe you did something to make them angry, Dr. Chuck. ;)
Well, I'm pretty sure it has something about being Chinese. :)
What? I'm Chinese... :)
Zach Yeung
St. John's '08
Rice University '12
Biochemistry and Cell Biology and Political Science
Lapego1
Tidus

Post by Lapego1 »

With the new season underway, I'd like to reopen this topic and hear what everyone thinks about this year's teams. A lot of this year's national contenders competed at TJ's NAQT tournament yesterday with RM A, Raleigh Charter A, Gov A, and Blair making the top four spots (in that order). DCC and State College A didn't make the top 8 (though State College B did); however, this was probably just bad luck (good luck for everyone else present though) as both had high PPGs after the prelims. Though I did not witness the finals b/t RM A and RC A, I know RM A must have performed quite impressively since my team had the privilege of losing to RC A handily twice during the day. Who do you all think will be national contenders based on this tournament's results?
gtstinger
Kimahri

Southeast

Post by gtstinger »

In the southeast, you can never rule out Dorman, Brookwood, and Walton. They always have strong teams. Seems that everytime we expect a "rebuilding year" out of them, they come up stronger than before.
jbarnes112358
Tidus

Post by jbarnes112358 »

After Saturday's tournament at TJ, It is clear that Richard Montgomery has a strong chance of winning a national championship or at least finishing very high. Raleigh Charter also has a winner and should finish high. Blair and our MLWGS team(s) are capable of doing well at nationals also. Saturday, notwithstanding, you can be sure that State College and DCC will be forces to be reckoned with next June. They already are.

I agree that the southern trio mentioned in the previous post will probably be contenders, as I expect will St. Johns.

It will be interesting to see what Dupont Manual and Lakeside come back with after their stellar year in 2004.

And let us not forget about TJ. Eventhough the team for the ages graduated, I expect them to be a serious contender once again.

I am sure there are other contenders I don't know about yet. We will have to see who emerges. There may be another west coast team, like Lakeside, that comes out of the shadows. There always seem to be some strong teams, in addition to DCC, that emerge from the midwest, especially from Ohio, Illinois, Michigan, and Kentucky.

Unlike the last three years when the world was basically deciding who was going to be second, this year's champion is anybody's guess at this point in time.
DumbJaques
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by DumbJaques »

Just looking at the TJ stats will show how strong some of the teams are this year. Doctor Barnes, at least two of your teams clearly have the talent to compete at the top, and I saw Gov A play some amazing games. They also had a staggering power to negs ratio, but as you said, this is not always necessarily the ideal situation. Regardless, I'm sure our two teams will be playing in some good games this year.

Raleigh Charter is an excellent team. We only got a chance to play them in the final, where they 30ed all but one bonus, if I recall correctly. They are going to continue to be extremely tough all year.

State College ended up not making the playoffs at TJ, but I believe they are far better than that finish would indicate. As it is, they are extremely knowledgeable and decently fast, although it seems like there might be some core social studies and history subjects where they aren't quite as strong as they were last year.

Blair clearly has what it takes to do very well this year (knocking out State College). They're returning their NAQT Nationals A team, and finished 4th this weekend despite not having the bulk of their team for two prelim games (which actually ended up not mattering a great deal). I'd like to see them at more tournaments this year.

DCC, like State College, got knocked out in the first round of playoffs at TJ. While they were knocked out by a team nowhere near as good as Blair, and also lost to Walton earlier this year (note: I have NO firsthand knowledge of that match or tournament), they remain a very good team and will stay extremely competitive.

I can't really comment on southern teams, because I haven't seen many of them play. I played with Brookwood's captain at ACE, he's a very good player and has some good people around him. I could definitely see them having another great year. Dunbar returns a few players, I think, and St. John's returns everyone, which traditionally makes for a pretty good team.

My pick for a big midwest team will be Troy. All I know about them is that they had some pretty impressive scorers at nationals who will be back this year, and again, that tends to help a bit.

In the DC area, I think Walter Johnson and maybe Walt Whitman could potentially get competitive on a national level at some point. People tell me stories about teams from Illinois or Alabama that are dominant there, but that pretty infrequently translates to NAQT and PACE. Other than that, it's still early in the season to say anything with certainty.

Ah, ambiguous prognostication. . .
Chris Ray
OSU
University of Chicago, 2016
University of Maryland, 2014
ACF, PACE
Trevkeeper
Tidus

Post by Trevkeeper »

DumbJaques wrote:People tell me stories about teams from Illinois or Alabama that are dominant there, but that pretty infrequently translates to NAQT and PACE.
Off the top of my head, Brindlee Mountain of Alabama went 5-5 at NAQT Nats last year (and from what I hear, they weren't the best Alabama team, but were in the upper echelon) and 2 Illinois teams qualified for NAQT playoffs. Wheaton North got knocked out after two games I think, and we one our first game, but lost our next two two Maggie Walker and Princess Anne's (both were close, with the latter going into overtime, but they were better that day).

Generally, yes, at most only a team or two from one of the aforementioned states can compete with the "Big Boys", but you never know.
insaneindian
Wakka

Post by insaneindian »

ill be bold and predict that Wilmington Charter A will win the Delaware region :razz:
but on a more serious note, after a few tournaments, we feel we are much better than last year, and last year, we tied 13th (6-4) at HSNCT with 4 juniors and a sophomore. Three of us seniors have already agreed to skip graduation to attend 2006 HSNCT, and our goal is 7-3 and hopefully a top 10 finish.
Reasonable goals?

Also, other than RM, has anybody here played us?
Last edited by insaneindian on Tue Nov 01, 2005 1:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Abhi Hendi
University Of Pennsylvania '10
bigtrain
Rikku

Post by bigtrain »

insaneindian wrote:Also, other than RM, has anybody here played us?
Unfortunately, most of the teams represented on this forum have not played you in a regular season tournament. I guess thats what happens when you skip the dozens of tournaments in the Washington area with strong, competitive teams in favor of going out of your way to tournaments on Long Island against weak teams on A level NAQT packets.
Alex Price
Walter Johnson 2006
Emory University 2010
insaneindian
Wakka

Post by insaneindian »

bigtrain wrote:
insaneindian wrote:Also, other than RM, has anybody here played us?
Unfortunately, most of the teams represented on this forum have not played you in a regular season tournament. I guess thats what happens when you skip the dozens of tournaments in the Washington area with strong, competitive teams in favor of going out of your way to tournaments on Long Island against weak teams on A level NAQT packets.
:sad: :shock: :sad: thanks
Yeah I guess you could say that. Only problem is our freshman teams (3 of our 5) hadnt been to a tournament and we sort of wanted to let them play in one where they wouldnt get discouraged by a continuous 800-10 beating...
We'll be at Princeton. I wont elaborate since I probably can't hold my own against any of you guys in quiz bowl but i love the word "skip". Maybe we should go to more tournaments down in the DC area, although we pretty much stick to NAQT (except for our TV tournament, which is QU). When is Siesta Bowl gonna be? I think we'll be there, we have been the past two years. We don't have that large a budget so i doubt we'll go to too many more tournaments outside Delaware, as if there are any in Delaware (we didnt even have a Delaware State Tournament last year) but our coach will make sure to make us as competitive a team as possible, he's a pretty damn good one, in my opinion. Nice to meet you, too. I'll make sure to phrase my question better next time I ask one. Sorry to anyone I upset by asking it that way.
Abhi Hendi
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

Trevkeeper wrote:
DumbJaques wrote:People tell me stories about teams from Illinois or Alabama that are dominant there, but that pretty infrequently translates to NAQT and PACE.
Off the top of my head, Brindlee Mountain of Alabama went 5-5 at NAQT Nats last year (and from what I hear, they weren't the best Alabama team, but were in the upper echelon) and 2 Illinois teams qualified for NAQT playoffs. Wheaton North got knocked out after two games I think, and we one our first game, but lost our next two two Maggie Walker and Princess Anne's (both were close, with the latter going into overtime, but they were better that day).

Generally, yes, at most only a team or two from one of the aforementioned states can compete with the "Big Boys", but you never know.

I think it's worth mentioning that when Brindlee Mountain went 5-5 at NAQT last year, it was a team of 3 freshmen and 1 senior. Also, we went 6-5 at PACE with 4 freshmen (our only senior player had a family emegency and was unable to attend).

No, we didn't win any state titles in Alabama - though we were 6-0 against the state championship team. As biased as I obviously am, I think this is a team that's going to be incredible over the next three years - although they can be kind of lazy. They have placed 2nd in all three tournaments we've been to this year - to three different teams. That's good for a group of sophomores, but I think that they can do better.

At any rate, we'll be back at NAQT and PACE.
Lee Henry
AP Lit and APUSH Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
President-Elect/Past President- Alabama Scholastic Competition Association (ASCA)
Howard
Tidus

Post by Howard »

insaneindian wrote:When is Siesta Bowl gonna be? I think we'll be there, we have been the past two years.
We haven't actually made plans yet. This will be something I'll be investigating over the next few weeks unless I'm led astray.

Oh, and Charter has been to a number of DC area tournaments. I can't speak personally for the strength of the New York area, but it has been my impression that it's a strong region.
John Gilbert
Coach, Howard High School Academic Team
Ellicott City, MD

"John Gilbert is a quiz bowl god" -- leftsaidfred
insaneindian
Wakka

Post by insaneindian »

Also, I think there is a possibility that we are going to Green Eggs and Hammond. We have done that format twice before, but our current team members have only done it once or never.
About the New York region, Bloomfield and Bergen both finished 6-4 at HSNCT as well, tied for 29th. Neither of the teams were senior heavy last year, if whatever stats NAQT kept were 100 % accurate.
Abhi Hendi
rchschem
Yuna

Post by rchschem »

Raleigh Charter will be at Brookwood; I think we are in the position of being one of the few teams to put a toe in both the DC and SE pools. It will be interesting to compare the competition.

Eric
bigtrain
Rikku

Post by bigtrain »

I always wanted to go to Brookwood's tournament because a tournament with 120 teams sounds pretty cool. Maybe I'll be able to get my team to Vandy's spring tournament which is almost as huge.
Alex Price
Walter Johnson 2006
Emory University 2010