Illinois '16-'17

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
A Dim-Witted Saboteur
Yuna

Re: Illinois '16-'17

Post by A Dim-Witted Saboteur »

Dominator wrote:
Joker wrote:
Hyrdofluoric_Acid wrote:A lot of the math questions seemed to be written by someone who doesn't really like math.
This wouldn't be an issue if IHSA accepted the fact 4/4 math is excessive.
How much would you consider not excessive?
I know this question wasn't directed at me, but 1/1 non-comp and (if they really, really want to keep it) 1/1 comp would be just about right.
Jakob M. (they/them)
Michigan State '21, Indiana '2?
"No one has ever organized a greater effort to get people interested in pretending to play quiz bowl"
-Ankit Aggarwal
John Ketzkorn
Wakka

Post by John Ketzkorn »

Dominator wrote:
Joker wrote:
Hyrdofluoric_Acid wrote:A lot of the math questions seemed to be written by someone who doesn't really like math.
I'm not an expert on the IHSA distribution (nor am I a fan of the 24 question format), so I can't say what the other toss-up should be used for, but I think 2/2 math theory and 1/1 cs is tolerable. There should be no comp math in a competition about knowledge. While comp math can be about knowledge, it often comes down to who works faster with numbers and should be left for the math competitions.
Michael Etzkorn
Illinois Mathematics and Science Academy '16
UIUC '21
hcube
Lulu

Post by hcube »

Dominator wrote:
Joker wrote:
Probably 1/1, no?

https://acf-quizbowl.com/archives/archi ... stribution

ACF uses only 1 math tossup. Even as a math player myself I can say that having 2 math comp tossups a packet makes me groan each time.

Besides, the math difficulty fluctuated way too much-from the extremely fraudable Konigsberg Bridge problem to the relatively unknown Chebyshev's theorem (which I have only used one time ever while actually doing math).
Hanson Hao
IMSA 19
Stanford 23
the return of AHAN
Auron

Post by the return of AHAN »

Count me among those who was impressed to see Chebyshev's Theorem converted.
Jeff Price
Barrington High School Coach (2021 & 2023 HSNCT Champions, 2023 PACE Champions, 2023 Illinois Masonic Bowl Class 3A State Champions)
Barrington Station Middle School Coach (2013 MSNCT Champions, 2013 & 2017 Illinois Class AA State Champions)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dominator
Tidus

Post by Dominator »

the return of AHAN wrote:Count me among those who was impressed to see Chebyshev's Theorem converted.
Which of Chebyshev's Theorems?
Dr. Noah Prince

Normal Community High School (2002)
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (2004, 2007, 2008)

Illinois Mathematics and Science Academy - Scholastic Bowl coach (2009-2014), assistant coach (2014-2015), well wisher (2015-2016)
guy in San Diego (2016-present)
President of Qblitz (2018-present)

El Salvadoreno
Rikku

Post by El Salvadoreno »

Dominator wrote:
the return of AHAN wrote:Count me among those who was impressed to see Chebyshev's Theorem converted.
Which of Chebyshev's Theorems?
His inequality theorem.

(Side note: I'm in AP stats right now and we are not covering this theorem so I doubt this is difficulty appropriate as an answerline, though math was never my strong suit so that judgement probably belongs to someone who knows more about math than me).
Ricky "Slick Rick/Rico Suave" Rivera
Carmel Catholic- Class of '17
Notre Dame (Mendoza)- Class of '22

My Namesake
Stained Diviner
Auron

Post by Stained Diviner »

"at least 1−1/k^2 of a distribution's values are within k standard deviations of the mean" (I'm quoting wikipedia here, but I don't think this question did.)

As to the earlier discussion, this probably is the wrong context to discuss how many math questions there should be.

The two main questions that should be asked when deciding a subject's place in the distribution are whether there are enough askable subjects and whether it is important enough to push other things out of the way. With math, you could make an argument for both of those criteria, though you could also make counterarguments.

There is also the question of whether a given writing team is up to the task. The IHSA team changes from year to year, and the fact that this year's team was bad at producing math questions doesn't provide any solutions for what should happen in general beyond the general principle that question sets should be put together by good writers and editors.

There is also the issue of tradition, which can also be viewed as the issue of inertia. IHSA has always had a lot of math, so people expect that. Quizbowl in general does not have a lot of math, so people in other contexts expect that. Because nobody is making strong arguments either way, inertia/tradition is going to carry the day, and that's not the end of the world.

If there are strong arguments to be made, they have nothing at all to do with the 2017 IHSA Set.
David Reinstein
Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo, Masonics, and IESA; TD for Scobol Solo and Reinstein Varsity; IHSSBCA Board Member; IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014); PACE President (2016-2018)
Dominator
Tidus

Post by Dominator »

Big Y wrote:If there are strong arguments to be made, they have nothing at all to do with the 2017 IHSA Set.
You're right, but I'm not thinking of 2017.
Dr. Noah Prince

Normal Community High School (2002)
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (2004, 2007, 2008)

Illinois Mathematics and Science Academy - Scholastic Bowl coach (2009-2014), assistant coach (2014-2015), well wisher (2015-2016)
guy in San Diego (2016-present)
President of Qblitz (2018-present)

doyouwanttobuilda
Kimahri

Post by doyouwanttobuilda »

El Salvadoreno wrote:Our sectional got a little easier since Fremd got upset, but it's still going to be a battle and whoever wins it will earn it.
Personally, I don't think that sectional is gonna be much of a battle since Stevenson is likely the decisive winner, but we shall see.

User was reminded to enable a signature. --Mgmt.
Mark
Northside 2018
RFedewa
Kimahri

Post by RFedewa »

In response to the previous post, neither I nor my players are thinking the Fremd Sectional will be "not much of a battle". Lake Forest and Carmel both have teams that I was nervous about playing in the Masonic Sectional, and I'm still nervous going up against talent like that. Barrington's team is so good that there wasn't a "decisive winner" at Masonic State (we only won by one tossup) and it took three packets, all hard fought, to determine a winner at NAQT State.

I don't think it's fair to count out teams that are so strong, even if I appreciate the vote of confidence from the previous post.
Ryan Fedewa
AP Physics 1 and AP Physics C Teacher
Head Coach of Varsity Scholastic Bowl
Sponsor of IGC

Adlai E. Stevenson High School
1 Stevenson Dr. Lincolnshire, IL 60069
the return of AHAN
Auron

You know, I was debating whether this was a BHS, Carmel, or LFHS student aiming to inspire his/her teammates with manufactured bulletin board material, or a kid from another school trying to stir things up. At the same time, I figured there was NO way a Stevenson player would post this (unless he's TRYING to give Fedawa an aneurysm). I'm still assuming it was one of the first two.
Jeff Price
Barrington High School Coach (2021 & 2023 HSNCT Champions, 2023 PACE Champions, 2023 Illinois Masonic Bowl Class 3A State Champions)
Barrington Station Middle School Coach (2013 MSNCT Champions, 2013 & 2017 Illinois Class AA State Champions)
El Salvadoreno
Rikku

Post by El Salvadoreno »

doyouwanttobuilda wrote:Personally, I don't think that sectional is gonna be much of a battle since Stevenson is likely the decisive winner, but we shall see.
I can tell you that this is certainly not the attitude Carmel is coming into this with. We've been preparing for this all year basically (since we learned this is our coach's last year coaching, state has become especially important to us) and so we are going in with the attitude that this is going to be a (metaphorical) street brawl just as our regional was. We are taking this very seriously and all we ask is that other teams do the same.

As to Mr. Price's theory, I only know I few Carmel kids who are aware of the forums and I do not believe that anyone (those I know are aware or not aware of the forums) would act in this manner. I do not think any of the teams in this sectional need any other motivation. In other words, I do not why anyone would do this except its the internet and their are trolls under every bridge. (FWIW, I do not know Mr. Fedewa well, but I believe him given how tight a ship Stevenson seems to run).

EDIT: For grammar (PSA: Do not post and Jeopardy! at same time)

My Namesake
kurosagi9807
Kimahri

Post by kurosagi9807 »

doyouwanttobuilda wrote:
El Salvadoreno wrote:Our sectional got a little easier since Fremd got upset, but it's still going to be a battle and whoever wins it will earn it.
Personally, I don't think that sectional is gonna be much of a battle since Stevenson is likely the decisive winner, but we shall see.

User was reminded to enable a signature. --Mgmt.
I personally agree that this sectional will basically be a formality, except the Stevenson v. Barrington match. Stevenson or Barrington is going to win, and whoever wins will probably go on to win IHSA State. Stevenson and Barrington have been the most dominant teams all year within Illinois, and its hard to see them losing to anybody except each other. To be fair, there are plenty of solid teams in the sectional, but Stevenson and Barrington have just been so good that I don't think they will lose to the other teams, unless Ali attends Jeopardy! again. :shock:

User was reminded to enable a signature.
Kurosagi Shirosagi

SPU '18
doyouwanttobuilda
Kimahri

Post by doyouwanttobuilda »

I didn't mean to be a "troll under a bridge" with my post, and I'm sorry if I offended anyone or trivialized matters that are of great importance to the actual people involved in the matches at sectionals. I wish all the teams playing tomorrow good luck and am interested to see what comes out of the sectional. :)
Mark
Northside 2018
Hyrdofluoric_Acid
Lulu

Post by Hyrdofluoric_Acid »

So their will be 8 teams at IHSA state including Stevenson, IMSA, Auburn, OPRF, Uni Lab, Sandburg, Carbondale and Dunlap, assuming Auburn wins their sectional for the umpteenth time. Of these teams 3 were in the top 8 at NAQT state of the 5 that attended. To my knowledge all of these teams participated in the Masonic state tournament of which 4 were in the top 8. Of the five teams on hsqbrank before we even started this tournament only two of them even had the possibility of placing at state. Not only that but the best they could place was 1st and 3rd. Saying nothing of the question quality, which was atrocious and the rules which are not good, the format is completely unacceptable for determining anything useful but for a single team. This tournament has 11 rounds over 3 days of which even the best teams only play 10. This is truly awful. How can they possibly seed the pools at state before sectional results come in. That is frankly completely ridiculous.
Our team lost in major part due to the blurt rule. I do acknowledge that there is mounting evidence that Stevenson is quite good and will almost certainly reunite the state championship in an entirely legitimate way it is immensely frustrating to lose on a rule that only exists here due to a teammate nervously exhaling when he thinks.
In other news the math questions in this tournament are abhorrent. I do not have a problem with math questions. I love math. These math questions are inconsistent in difficulty and not interesting. They were often wrong and seem to be written by someone who doesn't really like math. The questions focused on things like what mathematicians said or historical things that happened to them. I didn't complain about the math questions at Masonics because they were good! They were interesting and challenging and differentiated between people who were good at math and those who weren't. Some of the bonuses are not really possible to do in ten seconds, not because I don't know how to do them but because I ran out of time.
I really hope that this improves in the future. I hope that the tournament will be better, fair, and more fun in the future.
Prediction: Stevenson wins state, Auburn gets second, IMSA gets third and OPRF gets fourth
John W. of University of Minnesota
the return of AHAN
Auron

IHSA rule book wrote:4-A. Communication
4-A-1. Communication will be defined as any form of written, verbal, or physical exchange between players, and between players and nonplayers
(including spectators, coaches, non-playing teammates, and match personnel). Communication includes, but is not limited to:
4-A-1a. Talking, whispering, or mouthing.
4-A-1b. Pointing, gesturing, signaling (including air signaling).
4-A-1c. Passing of papers.
4-A-1d. Deliberate physical contact with intent to gain another player's attention.
4-A-1e. Looking over at another player's written materials for answers.
4-A-2. Player Communication shall be legal at the following times, except where otherwise specifically prohibited:
4-A-2a. During introductions.
4-A-2b. To the moderator while answering a toss-up after being recognized
4-A-2c. To other players on her/his team while consulting on a bonus.
4-A-2d. To the moderator while answering a bonus part.
4-A-2e. To the moderator while lodging a protest, or directly responding to a moderator’s question.
4-A-2f. To anyone during time-outs and halftime.
4-A-3. The following types of communication shall be legal for players at the indicated times, unless the moderator believes that they are
being used to delay, intimidate, or interrupt the flow of the match in order to gain an advantage:
4-A-3a. The "wait" gesture (anything that silently communicates the message “do not trigger the lockout system”) during second
reading of a toss-up.
4-A-3b. Saying "clear", "reset", or equivalent as a reminder to the lockout box operator.
4-A-3c. Reasonable reactions to right or wrong answers.
4-A-3d. Looking at a teammate's written material during the reading of a bonus. (In this case, the moderator should not be
concerned about players gaining an advantage.)
4-A-3e. Notification of emergency or unacceptable conditions in the room.
4-A-3f. Notification to the moderator that an opponent's answer was correct, or that their own answer was incorrect.
4-A-3g. The “time-out” gesture (making a “T” with the hands) as a signal to her/his coach that a time-out or an appeal may be
warranted. Moderators should ignore this signal and should continue the match as usual, neither slowing down nor
speeding up the pace. Upon seeing this signal, a coach may choose to call a time-out (according to Rule 3-E), initiate an
appeal (according to Rule 4-I), or do nothing, as the coach see fit.
4-A-3h. When the player or his/her coach has initiated an appeal, making a reasonable, civil, tactful, and professional appeal.
4-A-3i. Visual or auditory cues (such as saying the word “buzz”) indicating that the player wishes to trigger the lockout system but
is unable to do so due to a lockout system malfunction or failure to reset.
4-A-4. Illegal communication by players includes, but is not limited to:
4-A-4a. Communication at times other than those permitted in Rule 4-A-2 and 4-A-3.
4-A-4b. Use of any illegal printed or written material during the match to gain an advantage.
4-A-4c. Giving or receiving aid, including looking over at a teammate's written material during or after the reading of a toss-up and
then triggering the lockout system.
4-A-4d. Unsportsmanlike conduct or unreasonable reactions to right or wrong answers, or moderators' decisions.
4-A-5. Communication by coaches shall be legal at the following times, except where otherwise specifically prohibited:
4-A-5a. During introductions.
4-A-5b. To the moderator when requesting a time-out (head coach only).
4-A-5c. To the moderator when making an appeal (head coach only).
4-A-5d. To non-players, in a respectful manner, while involved in an appeal.
4-A-5e. During a time-out or halftime.
4-A-6. The following types of communication shall be legal for coaches at the indicated times, unless the moderator believes that they are
being used to delay, intimidate, or distract the opposing team:
4-A-6a. The "wait" gesture (anything that silently communicates the message “do not trigger the lockout system”) during second
reading of a toss-up.
4-A-6b. Saying "clear", "reset", or equivalent as a reminder to the lockout box operator.
4-A-6c. Reasonable reactions to right or wrong answers.
4-A-6d. Requesting a score check, if they note a discrepancy, before the next category is announced.
4-A-6e. Whispering to other coaches, substitute players who are not currently playing, or spectators, as long as no aid is given to
their own team.
4-A-6f. Notification of emergency or unacceptable conditions in the room.
4-A-6g. The “no” gesture (shaking her/his head or any equivalent action with the hands) in response to a “time-out” gesture
(request) from one of her/his players
4-A-7. Illegal communication by coaches includes, but is not limited to:
4-A-7a. Communication at times other than those permitted in Rules 4-A-5 and 4-A-6.
4-A-7b. Unsportsmanlike conduct or unreasonable reactions to right or wrong answers, or moderators' decisions.
4-A-7c. Signaling to her/his team, other than the "wait" gesture (Rule 4-A-6a) and the “no” gesture (Rule 4-A-6g).
4-A-8. Communication between spectators and players is always illegal and could result in the ejection of a player, coach, substitute player, or
spectator from the room.
4-A-9. The moderator has the authority to interpret what constitutes illegal communication and, if illegal in the opinion of the moderator, to
invoke appropriate penalties as delineated in Rule 4-G.
So... rule 4-A-9? I'm pretty speechless at the idea of it being appropriate to go there in such a high-leverage situation. To be clear, I wasn't in the room, so I didn't witness the incident firsthand. But the Stevenson coach confirmed Barrington's account of the ruling.
Jeff Price
the return of AHAN
Auron

I can confirm that bonus #16 in round 6 had an incorrect answer line on part A. Apparently, this was an answer line Stevenson was prepared to protest, as they answered it correctly. I didn't catch that it was wrong when I was moderating, but neither Carmel nor Lake Forest raised objections.
Jeff Price
A Dim-Witted Saboteur
Yuna

@Every team that won their sectional:
Joke's on you. You get wake up early to go to Peoria, play substandard questions, and lose to Stevenson
If you're Stevenson: Joke's on you. You get to win a state championship that I think most of the Illinois community agrees doesn't really have a lot of legitimacy.
Jakob M. (they/them)
"No one has ever organized a greater effort to get people interested in pretending to play quiz bowl"
-Ankit Aggarwal
The Unbearable Lightness of Negging
Lulu

Post by The Unbearable Lightness of Negging »

JakobeanEra wrote:If you're Stevenson: Joke's on you. You get to win a state championship that I think most of the Illinois community agrees doesn't really have a lot of legitimacy.
Good thing we already won the other 2
Ali
Stevenson '17
Stanford '21
username_crisis_averted
Lulu

Post by username_crisis_averted »

Hyrdofluoric_Acid wrote:So their will be 8 teams at IHSA state including Stevenson, IMSA, Auburn, OPRF, Uni Lab, Sandburg, Carbondale and Dunlap, assuming Auburn wins their sectional for the umpteenth time. Of these teams 3 were in the top 8 at NAQT state of the 5 that attended. To my knowledge all of these teams participated in the Masonic state tournament of which 4 were in the top 8. Of the five teams on hsqbrank before we even started this tournament only two of them even had the possibility of placing at state. Not only that but the best they could place was 1st and 3rd. Saying nothing of the question quality, which was atrocious and the rules which are not good, the format is completely unacceptable for determining anything useful but for a single team. This tournament has 11 rounds over 3 days of which even the best teams only play 10. This is truly awful. How can they possibly seed the pools at state before sectional results come in. That is frankly completely ridiculous.
Our team lost in major part due to the blurt rule. I do acknowledge that there is mounting evidence that Stevenson is quite good and will almost certainly reunite the state championship in an entirely legitimate way it is immensely frustrating to lose on a rule that only exists here due to a teammate nervously exhaling when he thinks.
In other news the math questions in this tournament are abhorrent. I do not have a problem with math questions. I love math. These math questions are inconsistent in difficulty and not interesting. They were often wrong and seem to be written by someone who doesn't really like math. The questions focused on things like what mathematicians said or historical things that happened to them. I didn't complain about the math questions at Masonics because they were good! They were interesting and challenging and differentiated between people who were good at math and those who weren't. Some of the bonuses are not really possible to do in ten seconds, not because I don't know how to do them but because I ran out of time.
I really hope that this improves in the future. I hope that the tournament will be better, fair, and more fun in the future.
Prediction: Stevenson wins state, Auburn gets second, IMSA gets third and OPRF gets fourth
I'm sorry that this happened to you. As much as I respect our team, I think I can safely say that we are not a top four Illinois team and that the current format is designed to punish teams like Barrington who happen to be in difficult sectionals. I would encourage everyone here to sign this petition so teams like Barrington don't suffer in the future.
https://www.change.org/p/illinois-high- ... bowl-teams
Kevin Kodama
University of Washington '23
the return of AHAN
Auron

JakobeanEra wrote:@Every team that won their sectional:
Joke's on you. You get wake up early to go to Peoria, play substandard questions, and lose to Stevenson
If you're Stevenson: Joke's on you. You get to win a state championship that I think most of the Illinois community agrees doesn't really have a lot of legitimacy.
But Stevenson has already won TWO other state championships in different formats, and it's not really fair to pooh-pooh their accomplishments, irrespective of what you think of the question quality. Also, don't be so quick to dismiss the rest of the field; if you think question quality is that poor, who's to say there won't be an upset?
Jeff Price
A Dim-Witted Saboteur
Yuna

the return of AHAN wrote:But Stevenson has already won TWO other state championships in different formats, and it's not really fair to pooh-pooh their accomplishments, irrespective of what you think of the question quality. Also, don't be so quick to dismiss the rest of the field; if you think question quality is that poor, who's to say there won't be an upset?
This isn't to belittle Stevenson; they're objectively (see Morlan rankings) the best team in the state. I'm just suggesting that their NAQT state title will be far more valuable proportional to the amount of effort they had to put in for it than this.
Jakob M. (they/them)
-Ankit Aggarwal
El Salvadoreno
Rikku

Post by El Salvadoreno »

username_crisis_averted wrote: I'm sorry that this happened to you. As much as I respect our team, I think I can safely say that we are not a top four Illinois team and that the current format is designed to punish teams like Barrington who happen to be in difficult sectionals. I would encourage everyone here to sign this petition so teams like Barrington don't suffer in the future.
https://www.change.org/p/illinois-high- ... bowl-teams
This is an important thing to talk about, but I still think questions should be the main priority. If we have the wildcard program and still have bad questions, we do not solve the legitimacy problems writ large. In other words, baby steps
P.S. On the petition point, I think the IHSSBCA should make its petition to choose the new head editor public, I think getting current and former student support, as well as moderator support, would help convincing the IHSA.
P.S.S. Stevenson and IMSA are very good teams and I have a lot of respect for them both. I understand there is a lot of anger but it is partially being directed at the wrong people, Stevenson did not write these questions, the IHSA did. I am not saying there are not legitimate issues, but I think we should approach them with a cool head, because anger creates problems, cool heads solve them.

My Namesake
Good Goblin Housekeeping
Auron

Post by Good Goblin Housekeeping »

Hyrdofluoric_Acid wrote:So their will be 8 teams at IHSA state including Stevenson, IMSA, Auburn, OPRF, Uni Lab, Sandburg, Carbondale and Dunlap, assuming Auburn wins their sectional for the umpteenth time. Of these teams 3 were in the top 8 at NAQT state of the 5 that attended. To my knowledge all of these teams participated in the Masonic state tournament of which 4 were in the top 8. Of the five teams on hsqbrank before we even started this tournament only two of them even had the possibility of placing at state. Not only that but the best they could place was 1st and 3rd. Saying nothing of the question quality, which was atrocious and the rules which are not good, the format is completely unacceptable for determining anything useful but for a single team. This tournament has 11 rounds over 3 days of which even the best teams only play 10. This is truly awful. How can they possibly seed the pools at state before sectional results come in. That is frankly completely ridiculous.
Man you missed out on the year when both regionals and sectionals had tus on De Moivre or de moivre's theorem which used all of the no clues that exist for them
Andrew Wang
Illinois 2016
El Salvadoreno
Rikku

Post by El Salvadoreno »

Bubalus Period wrote:Man you missed out on the year when both regionals and sectionals had tus on De Moivre or de moivre's theorem which used all of the no clues that exist for them
Its alright, we got repeats on Constantine, one of which began "This man saw two letters in the sky before a battle."

My Namesake
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

Post by Irreligion in Bangladesh »

Hello, all. I'm going to be running a Google hangout tonight (and possibly another tomorrow night, if there's demand for it) to talk about IHSA Scholastic Bowl and what current players can do to have their voices heard. There's a fair bit of history on working with the IHSA that current players may not be familiar with; I'd like to explain what's workable with the IHSA and what isn't. There's also a fair bit of motion going forward this spring, as the head editor is retiring, and it's worth talking about how that works.

If you're interested in joining the meeting, send me a PM here or an e-mail to [email protected] (not my historybowl account; it'll make it easier to organize the Hangout that way). We'll figure out a time for tonight and I'll post that information here.
Brad Fischer
Head Editor, IHSA State Series
IHSSBCA Chair

Winnebago HS ('06)
Northern Illinois University ('10)
Assistant Coach, IMSA (2010-12)
Coach, Keith Country Day School (2012-16)
nsb2
Lulu

Post by nsb2 »

Brad,

I would be interested in joining the meeting. After around 10 would work best for me, but I can probably make it earlier if required.
Pranav Sivakumar
Barrington Station MS '13, Barrington High School --> IMSA '17
UC Berkeley '21
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

This will take place starting around 8:30 tonight. If you would like an invite to the hangout, please let me know via PM or e-mail ([email protected]) and tell me the Google-based e-mail account I should send the link to.
Brad Fischer
IHSSBCA Chair

Winnebago HS ('06)
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

This meeting took place. There is a short letter being drafted by current players to be passed around for signatures and sent to the IHSA. The point of the letter is to express what current players are looking for in the IHSA question set in future years as a new editor is being chosen: in particular, the letter is noting that properly accessible answer lines (so that tossups don't go dead, especially at Regionals) and bonus difficulty consistency (so that bonuses are fair throughout) are broadly important and worth focusing on. (Other things are important as well, of course; these are simply the things we agreed would be good to discuss in this letter.)

If you're interested in signing the letter, it will be available within a day or so; the goal is to send it to the IHSA before Friday.

A number of people e-mailed me asking to get in the meeting after it started and we had a full Hangout chat; apologies to those I didn't get back to!
Brad Fischer
IHSSBCA Chair

Winnebago HS ('06)
username_crisis_averted
Lulu

Will there indeed be another hangout tonight? A couple of other people and myself would be interested in joining if possible.
Kevin Kodama
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

I'd be interested in doing another hangout tonight if the letter is finished and ready for review; if you were involved in the entirety of the last hangout you won't miss much by missing this, but there are quite a few players that didn't get in and are asking to hear about the historical aspects that make certain changes hard/ask questions about what they'd like to see happen. I've got a good deal of writing to do today, but I'll be able to take a break for an hour for another hangout if the letter's done. :)
Brad Fischer
IHSSBCA Chair

Winnebago HS ('06)
El Salvadoreno
Rikku

Post by El Salvadoreno »

Irreligion in Bangladesh wrote:I'd be interested in doing another hangout tonight if the letter is finished and ready for review; if you were involved in the entirety of the last hangout you won't miss much by missing this, but there are quite a few players that didn't get in and are asking to hear about the historical aspects that make certain changes hard/ask questions about what they'd like to see happen. I've got a good deal of writing to do today, but I'll be able to take a break for an hour for another hangout if the letter's done. :)
Jakob and I were talking and we thought we could start sometime around 4pm if that's okay with everyone.
The petition is not done done, but their has been some good progress made on it where I do not think it would take too long to complete.

My Namesake
El Salvadoreno
Rikku

Post by El Salvadoreno »

El Salvadoreno wrote:
Irreligion in Bangladesh wrote:I'd be interested in doing another hangout tonight if the letter is finished and ready for review; if you were involved in the entirety of the last hangout you won't miss much by missing this, but there are quite a few players that didn't get in and are asking to hear about the historical aspects that make certain changes hard/ask questions about what they'd like to see happen. I've got a good deal of writing to do today, but I'll be able to take a break for an hour for another hangout if the letter's done. :)
Jakob and I were talking and we thought we could start sometime around 4pm if that's okay with everyone.
The petition is not done done, but their has been some good progress made on it where I do not think it would take too long to complete.
Here is the link: https://hangouts.google.com/hangouts/_/ ... dtableptii

My Namesake
El Salvadoreno
Rikku

Post by El Salvadoreno »

So we have finished the petition the link to which is here:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1EtE ... sp=sharing
Please sign the petition here:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Qbs ... hi3vM/edit
Note the petition is limited only to current Illinois players (they can be Junior High or High Schools but only in Illinois).

My Namesake
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

The IHSSBCA All-State teams have been selected; congratulations to all honorees!

First Team, Class A
Caleb Trotter, Blue Ridge (Farmer City)
Daniel Kuiper, Timothy Christian (Elmhurst)
Derek Jones, Argenta-Oreana
Jacob Simmons, Southwestern (Piasa)
Jonathan Tutterow, Southwestern (Piasa)
Jordan Kilmer, Byron
Kayla Saville, Morrison
Kristie Bodak, Keith Country Day (Rockford)
Mitch McCullar, Williamsville
Yasir Hasnain, Maroa-Forsyth

Second Team, Class A
Andrew Kim, St. Bede (Peru)
Brendan Reamer, Dwight
Colin Thomas, Litchfield
Daniel Hattemer, Athens
Grant Oxford, Robinson
Lana Kay Tutterow, Southwestern (Piasa)
Parker Otto, Blue Ridge (Farmer City)
Peranat "Toto" Wongbandit, Riverdale (Port Byron)
Rachel Roberts, Edwards County (Albion)
Sam Beach, Fairfield

First Team, Class AA
Ali Saeed, Stevenson (Lincolnshire)
Brian Kalathiveetil, Waubonsie Valley (Aurora)
Ethan Strombeck, Auburn (Rockford)
Harrison Wang, Hinsdale Central
Jakob Myers, Naperville North
John Waldron, Barrington
Lily Hamer, Homewood-Flossmoor
Matthew Lehmann, Barrington
Pranav Sivakumar, IMSA (Aurora)
Ricky Rivera, Carmel (Mundelein)

Second Team, Class AA
Ana Pranger, Latin (Chicago)
Andrew Stelzer, University (Urbana)
Aristotle Vainikos, Sandburg (Orland Park)
Charlie Cutting, University (Normal)
Clara Barclay, Macomb
Iain Carpenter, Mahomet-Seymour
Jack Mayer, Loyola (Wilmette)
Jaden Lucas, Carbondale
Lucas Denney, Rochester
Michael Finnegan, Loyola (Wilmette)
Brad Fischer
IHSSBCA Chair

Winnebago HS ('06)
username_crisis_averted
Lulu

the return of AHAN wrote:Also, don't be so quick to dismiss the rest of the field; if you think question quality is that poor, who's to say there won't be an upset?
Wow, you totally called it.
Kevin Kodama
A Dim-Witted Saboteur
Yuna

the return of AHAN wrote: But Stevenson has already won TWO other state championships in different formats, and it's not really fair to pooh-pooh their accomplishments, irrespective of what you think of the question quality. Also, don't be so quick to dismiss the rest of the field; if you think question quality is that poor, who's to say there won't be an upset?
Do you have any prophecies about HSNCT?
Jakob M. (they/them)
-Ankit Aggarwal
Ent
Lulu

Post by Ent »

JakobeanEra wrote:
the return of AHAN wrote: But Stevenson has already won TWO other state championships in different formats, and it's not really fair to pooh-pooh their accomplishments, irrespective of what you think of the question quality. Also, don't be so quick to dismiss the rest of the field; if you think question quality is that poor, who's to say there won't be an upset?
I'd forget about this ... who do you have in your NCAA pool?

Seriously ... I hope there will be some serious objective discussion about "what happened?"
Thomas Egan
Captain Sinico
Auron

Post by Captain Sinico »

While regretting preempting some necessary and, hopefully, corrective discussion, I will nevertheless do so to let you know: this thread is where you'll find Team Illinois information. Please check it out!
Mike Sorice
Former Coach, Centennial High School of Champaign, IL (2014-2020) & Team Illinois (2016-2018)
Alumnus, Illinois ABT (2000-2002; 2003-2009) & Fenwick Scholastic Bowl (1999-2000)
Member, ACF (Emeritus), IHSSBCA, & PACE
the return of AHAN
Auron

JakobeanEra wrote:
Yes. No Illinois team will win it, but Naperville North will finish ahead of both Stevenson and Barrington, instigating much debate regarding whether the set was hard enough to differentiate the top teams (completely ignoring that Naperville North has been that good, too, all along).
Jeff Price
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Why was my name mentioned in this thread?
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
the return of AHAN
Auron

Cheynem wrote:Why was my name mentioned in this thread?
Speculation that you'll soon get to write for IHSA State Series.
Jeff Price
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

That'd be interesting!
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
master9017
Lulu

Post by master9017 »

So who all is going to tryouts on the 15th? Can't wait to see y'all there.
Addison Hagerman
Waubonsie Valley '17
username_crisis_averted
Lulu

the return of AHAN wrote: Yes. No Illinois team will win it, but Naperville North will finish ahead of both Stevenson and Barrington, instigating much debate regarding whether the set was hard enough to differentiate the top teams (completely ignoring that Naperville North has been that good, too, all along).
Can we just take a moment to agree that Jeff Price is a prophet?
Kevin Kodama
nsb2
Lulu

Post by nsb2 »

username_crisis_averted wrote:
the return of AHAN wrote: Yes. No Illinois team will win it, but Naperville North will finish ahead of both Stevenson and Barrington, instigating much debate regarding whether the set was hard enough to differentiate the top teams (completely ignoring that Naperville North has been that good, too, all along).
Can we just take a moment to agree that Jeff Price is a prophet?
He's right on all counts except one: I'd be surprised if people didn't realize Naperville North has been that good this year.
Pranav Sivakumar
Barrington Station MS '13, Barrington High School --> IMSA '17
UC Berkeley '21