Middle Grades/Jr. High Quizbowl

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
prewitt81
Lulu

Post by prewitt81 »

How many states have active state-sponsored (or otherwise) Middle Grades/Jr. High quizbowl programs?
"Believe those who seek the truth. Doubt those who find it."

Jeff Prewitt
Head Coach
Edmonson County HS Academic Team
Brownsville, KY
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

Illinois does.
bigtrain
Rikku

Post by bigtrain »

As far as I know, Maryland, Virginia and the District of Columbia do not.
NoahMinkCHS
Rikku

Post by NoahMinkCHS »

Georgia has a fairly active circuit in that age range.

All public middle schools (and almost all public elementary schools) in my home county have teams -- something that, unfortunately, hasn't been true of our high schools in years. IIRC, in middle school, we usually went to 6-8 tournaments per year.

Edit, in re: to first post -- Middle school qb in Ga., like high school qb here, is not state-sponsored and relies on the schools and organizations like GATA and a professional association of educators, both of which sponsor middle school state tournaments. (GATA also does 2 HS state tournaments, while the educators' group chooses to spend their HS money on academic decathlon.:roll: )
ASimPerson
Rikku

Post by ASimPerson »

In Alabama, ASCA runs middle school championship consisting of a regional and state level tournament.
Nick Bendler, Georgia Tech '06
Moderator emeritus
David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

Amdending DaGeneral's post: Illinois does, but the most active teams in our middle/jr high program (called the IESA--Illinois Elementary School Association, by the way) are, ironically enough, downstate. The northastn area of Illinois (Chicago and its suburbs) are barely active at all despite being very active in the high school arena.
fluffy4102
Wakka

Post by fluffy4102 »

Romero is starting it up in Texas. We just used to have one tournament in Middle School: the Strake Jesuit Tournament. It was crude, the questions were easy, and teams cheated. Really sad. The good thing is that Romero runs good tournaments.
Zach Yeung
St. John's '08
Rice University '12
Biochemistry and Cell Biology and Political Science
sabine01
Tidus

SC

Post by sabine01 »

So far as I know (and this is personal knowledge from my time in South Carolina), South Carolina does not have anything state-sponsored for Middle-Schoolers. I can always be incorrect or outdated, so anyone still in SC feel free to correct me. ;)

Plenty of single-subject tournaments and locally-run competitions like Trident Technical College's QUEST competition (Anyone around the Charleston, SC area know if Trident still hosts this?)

~Tricia~
Tricia Southard Greenstein, MLS
Furman '01 | GWU Staff | Maryland '10

I don't care whose fault this was, just get it sorted! And could someone please bring me something deep fat fried and smothered in chocolate?! ~ Fairy Godmother, "Shrek 2"
ProsperoSMS
Wakka

Post by ProsperoSMS »

North Carolina (which barely has a state-sponsored Quiz Bowl competition) has no structured middle school competition. There are some things which feed players up, such as the NC History Bowl, sponsored by the Social Studies Teachers' Association.
Manyo2
Lulu

Post by Manyo2 »

Kentucky has a fairly active state-sponsored middle school circuit.
ksattelmeyer
Lulu

Post by ksattelmeyer »

QUEST appears to still be in existence: http://archives.postandcourier.com/arch ... 3214.shtml
orangecrayon
Wakka

Post by orangecrayon »

Oklahoma doesn't have a junior-high program that's officially sponsored by the state, but there are a few state-wide (or some semblance thereof) programs at that level (i.e. OJABA, OAAC) that are privately run.
Last edited by orangecrayon on Wed Jul 27, 2005 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

West Virginia has a fairly organized MS circuit. I just ran the first state championship for this level back in May.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
sabine01
Tidus

Still going, eh?

Post by sabine01 »

ksattelmeyer wrote:QUEST appears to still be in existence: http://archives.postandcourier.com/arch ... 3214.shtml
Glad to Know. :)

Me = Summerville HS Alumna and Former QUESTor for them. Glad to know they're still on the podium...

~T~

I don't care whose fault this was, just get it sorted! And could someone please bring me something deep fat fried and smothered in chocolate?! ~ Fairy Godmother, "Shrek 2"
genius00345
Lulu

missouri

Post by genius00345 »

Missouri does not sponsor a state championship tournament for middle school teams, but many schools have teams that compete against one another, using the MSHSAA (high school) rules.

Our school organized a round-robin tournament for MSs in our county, but such tournaments are sporadic and aren't state organized.
ksattelmeyer
Lulu

Post by ksattelmeyer »

Me = Summerville HS Alumna and Former QUESTor for them. Glad to know they're still on the podium...
Sadly, my old school (Stratford) has been dethroned.
sabine01
Tidus

Small world...

Post by sabine01 »

ksattelmeyer wrote:
Sadly, my old school (Stratford) has been dethroned.
Had some good friends on Stratford's teams... but they graduated when I did -- in 1997. What year were you?

~Trish~

Encyclopedia Brown
Lulu

Post by Encyclopedia Brown »

No one in Virginia does. However, I did see an SOL prep quizbowl for middle schools on Henrico County's educational access channel. It inspired me to talk to the producers of Battle of the Brains or to the middle schools in Hanover and Henrico Counties about starting official quizbowls. It would help Richmond-area high schools recruit.
Dave Porter,
Assistant coach in the Peninsula area
W&M (trash only) (2008-present)
CNU Quizbowl (2007)
Freeman HS President (2003-2005)
ksattelmeyer
Lulu

Post by ksattelmeyer »

1996 here.
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

Yeah - Alabama's middle school circuit is pretty huge. Back when I ONLY coached a middle school team, we often went to over a dozen tournaments a year - all in Alabama.

Oddly, some of the best middle school teams feed into high schools with pretty poor teams (or no team at all)...
Lee Henry
AP Lit and APUSH Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
President-Elect/Past President- Alabama Scholastic Competition Association (ASCA)
STPickrell
Auron

Post by STPickrell »

VHSL rules allow 8th graders to play Scholastic Bowl; sadly some schools aren't 100% aware of this. There are quite often logistical issues, where it's hard for 8th graders to get to the high school to practice with the HS team. I know one player for R.E. Lee was specifically invited by the coaches to play in 8th grade, he started on their 'A' team as a 9th grader.
Shawn Pickrell, HSAPQ CFO
insaneindian
Wakka

Post by insaneindian »

delaware used to have a middle school tournament, hosted by texaco. it was gone by the team i was in middle school (5-6 yrs ago) so now my team hosts a middle school tournament
mlaird
Tidus

Post by mlaird »

David Riley wrote:Amdending DaGeneral's post: Illinois does, but the most active teams in our middle/jr high program (called the IESA--Illinois Elementary School Association, by the way) are, ironically enough, downstate. The northastn area of Illinois (Chicago and its suburbs) are barely active at all despite being very active in the high school arena.
Further amendments:
I went to Chicago Public Schools and they do have a circuit there. Mr. R may not be aware of it seeing as Public schools aren't invited to our jr. high tournament. I was on our school's first team and all we played was the city tournament. I think that there might have been a state tournament after that, but we didn't make it. I know that at least my old team is still active, because they played at Notre Dame's (HS) jr. high tournament.
btressler
Tidus

Post by btressler »

insaneindian wrote:delaware used to have a middle school tournament, hosted by texaco. it was gone by the team i was in middle school (5-6 yrs ago) so now my team hosts a middle school tournament
To add to (I presume) Abhi's thought, after much delay the Charter Challenge questions from April made it onto the webpage.

http://home.earthlink.net/~charterquiz/Questions.html

The format is vaguely based on various tv formats with two team rounds and two tossup rounds.

Anyone interested in obtaining a future set of questions to hold a tournament should contact the team: charterquiz at earthlink dot net. We are willing to barter. If all goes well, there will be fall and spring sets of questions this year.

Bill Tressler,
Charter School of Wilmington, DE
quiz4life
Lulu

Post by quiz4life »

Where do these MS/JHS tournaments get there questions? What formats(s) are used? Bill-nice site!
Thanks,
Michael Harvey
American Community School
Abu Dhabi, UAE
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

quiz4life wrote:Where do these MS/JHS tournaments get there questions? What formats(s) are used?
About half of the tournaments I've run in the past have been house-authored, with the other half provided by a question provider I really can't recommend and have no plans on using again in the future.
Fred Morlan
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
quiz4life
Lulu

Post by quiz4life »

Fred,
Would you please email me off list at my school address and let me know which question provider you would not use and why? I have found a few question providers (But I am looking for more so keep those suggestions coming!) [email protected]
Thanks,
Michael
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

quiz4life wrote:Fred,
Would you please email me off list at my school address and let me know which question provider you would not use and why? I have found a few question providers (But I am looking for more so keep those suggestions coming!) [email protected]
Thanks,
Michael
Consider yourself e-mailed.
Fred Morlan
insaneindian
Wakka

Post by insaneindian »

our team members wrote the questions for our tournament.
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

Out of curiosity - NAQT had once talked about hosting a Middle School National Championship. Does anyone know if they are still considering this, or did they kill the idea? I'd be interested in such an event and would be willing to help organize it.
Lee Henry
AP Lit and APUSH Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
President-Elect/Past President- Alabama Scholastic Competition Association (ASCA)
Tegan
Coach of AHAN Jr.

Post by Tegan »

mlaird wrote:
David Riley wrote:Amdending DaGeneral's post: Illinois does, but the most active teams in our middle/jr high program (called the IESA--Illinois Elementary School Association, by the way) are, ironically enough, downstate. The northastn area of Illinois (Chicago and its suburbs) are barely active at all despite being very active in the high school arena.
Further amendments:
I went to Chicago Public Schools and they do have a circuit there
And to further ammend:

1. While Northern Illinois only makes up a small percentage of the middle school circuit, they have been relatively successful at the state level. Rockford and the Northwest Suburbs (read: feeder schools for Auburn and Stevenson) have been quite successful over the years. Not only that, but in jsut the last five years, the number of middle schools competing in the IESA state series in Northern Illinois have increased quite a bit, though generally in the south and southwest suburbs. The gold coast and the gold prairie are still underrepresented.

2. Matt Laird went to a Chicago public school??? What other startling revelations are to come ..... that urban sophisticate/Hungarian noble David Riley grew up KENTUCKY?! I guess it just goes to prove: stereotypes just don't compute!
prewitt81
Lulu

Post by prewitt81 »

quizbowllee wrote:Out of curiosity - NAQT had once talked about hosting a Middle School National Championship. Does anyone know if they are still considering this, or did they kill the idea? I'd be interested in such an event and would be willing to help organize it.
I started this thread for a similar purpose. I have toyed with the idea of trying to hold a Middle Grades National Academic Tournament or MGNAT (pronounced "emm - nat" -- catchy, huh?) I knew that Georgia and Alabama had programs, and I was assistant coach of the State MS runners-up for Kentucky last year, but I wasn't sure about anywhere else. Now all I have left to do is find an infinite supply of money and a good place to host it. :)

Jeff Prewitt
Head Coach
Brownsville, KY
MahoningQuizBowler
Rikku

Post by MahoningQuizBowler »

I'm looking to organize a county championship for middle schools. To the best of my knowledge, no schools have a team except for the ones who threw one together to go on the local tv show (they had a 16-team tournament this summer to fill time between HS shows). Counting private and charter schools, there are about 40 middle schools/junior highs.

Should just contact them all and see who is interested, or is there an alternate course of action that might work better?
Captain Sinico
Auron

Post by Captain Sinico »

Tegan wrote:...I guess it just goes to prove: stereotypes just don't compute!
On behalf of stereotypes everywhere, I demand that you stop... yeah, you see where I'm going.

MaS
wajata
Kimahri

mississippi

Post by wajata »

Mississippi has nothing....
Tegan
Coach of AHAN Jr.

Post by Tegan »

ImmaculateDeception wrote:
Tegan wrote:...I guess it just goes to prove: stereotypes just don't compute!
On behalf of stereotypes everywhere, I demand that you stop... yeah, you see where I'm going.
Not to get too off topic, but am I to interpret this to mean that you are pro- stereotype? I was making the point that stereotypes, especially from all of us intellectuals (for example, Ernest Hemmingway referring to Oak Park natives as having narrow minds), is futile, because they are ultimately not true. No matter where people come from, they can overcome anything to acheive anything. Matt Lard attended a Chicago public school, and he has gone from being a well respected player to a well respected coach. David Riley hails from Kentucky. and is among the hardest working, most respected coaches in the nation, and they are hardly abberations.

Perhaps I missed the point of your short posting, and if that is the case, I apologize.
mentalchocolate
Wakka

Post by mentalchocolate »

some stereotypes are most definitely true....like in Kentucky we don't wear shoes is a perfectly true statement...if any of the rest of you claimed to ever be in Kentucky and saw people in shoes it was a government conspiracy and you were actually somewhere else
Captain Sinico
Auron

Post by Captain Sinico »

You see, what happened is, you made a stereotype about stereotypes, so I rose-up to defend my friends. It was, you know, a joke. Remember jokes? That stereotypes are, without exception, either false or trivial is so obvious, there's no point in even discussing it.

MaS

PS: I am not from Oak Park! Stop implicitly accusing me of that, immediately.
Tegan
Coach of AHAN Jr.

Post by Tegan »

ImmaculateDeception wrote:Remember jokes? That stereotypes are, without exception, either false or trivial is so obvious, there's no point in even discussing it.

PS: I am not from Oak Park! Stop implicitly accusing me of that, immediately.
In which case, I publicly and wholeheartedly apologize for:

1. Not seeing the joke

2. Accusing you of being an Oak Parker.
harpersferry
Wakka

Post by harpersferry »

Rockford and the Northwest Suburbs (read: feeder schools for Auburn and Stevenson) have been quite successful over the years.
Rockford West has won the last two state IESA championships and has only had a team for two years. I wouldn't call that "over the years" just the last two. It has produced some good players, if I do say so myself. I do not think with absolutely no original coaches from the first year or starters on the teams that first won that they will be great this year too. We shall see.

Hopefully these feeder programs will encourage growth at the highschool level. I know that Illinois has been growing like a weed and producing some impressive results already. It remains to be seen how successful these programs can be.
insaneindian
Wakka

Post by insaneindian »

we are hosting (hopefully) two middle school tournaments this year
quiz4life
Lulu

Post by quiz4life »

Does any know where I can get or can see some middle school questions? I would be interested in seeing what is expected from MS kids and if they are more NAQT or NAC style.
Thans,
Michael Harvey
American Community School
Abu Dhabi, UAE
prewitt81
Lulu

Post by prewitt81 »

http://www.dbtech.net/asca/

Click on the "Questions" link for Alabama style MS questions.

http://www.kaac.com/store/outofstate/index.html

You can purchase KY style Governor's Cup questions here.

Jeff Prewitt
Head Coach
Brownsville, KY
insaneindian
Wakka

Post by insaneindian »

here are some from mr Tressler's (bill's :grin: ) site.
http://home.earthlink.net/~charterquiz/Questions.html
we wrote these last year and the tournament was fairly successful.