2017 NASAT: June 24-25 at the University of Kentucky

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
1992 in spaceflight
Auron

2017 NASAT: June 24-25 at the University of Kentucky

Post by 1992 in spaceflight »

High School Academic Pyramid Questions announces that it will be holding the sixth HSAPQ National All-Star Academic Tournament on June 24-25, 2017 at the University of Kentucky. The tournament will convene at 8:00 AM on Saturday, June 24 and run until about 6 PM, then conclude from 8:30 AM to about 3:00 PM on Sunday. We will announce details as soon as possible regarding the specific buildings on campus that will be used.

This tournament will once again be open to all-star teams representing all states, the District of Columbia, all US territories, and all Canadian provinces and equivalents (as well as state or province-equivalent divisions of any other countries). Each state or equivalent may enter multiple teams, with up to six players on its roster, up to four of whom may be playing at any one time. Any player who was enrolled in the 12th grade or below in a school physically located in that state during the 2016-2017 academic year is eligible to play on his or her state's team. Generally speaking, home school students are also eligible; any questions about eligibility will be answered by HSAPQ as needed. This tournament is intended for states seeking an all-star event. We encourage single-school teams looking for national championships to investigate two such championships run by groups that are unaffiliated with HSAPQ: the National Scholastics Championship run by the Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence and the High School National Championship Tournament run by National Academic Quiz Tournaments.

If we do not have 10 teams registered for NASAT by March 1st, 2017, HSAPQ will be forced to cancel the event.

Teams travelling by air are advised that the closest airport is Lexington's Blue Grass Airport. Airports in Louisville (Louisville International Airport) and Cincinnati (Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky International Airport) are within an hour and a half drive from Lexington and may offer better rates. We are not doing any sort of deal with a hotel this year.

We will continue to keep cost under control; in line with that, the tournament will not be held at a resort, but rather on a college campus, much like many other high school quizbowl events held throughout the year. Furthermore, we will use a normal format comparable to regular-season events: games will consist of twenty tossups, with a thirty-point bonus being played after each correct tossup answer. Teams will play head-to-head, two at a time. "Performance-based," multimedia, calculation, and pop culture questions will not be used. Teams will play twelve to sixteen games, in line with other national championship events, over the two days of the tournament. Because this event will be played by highly skilled all-star teams, the question difficulty will be higher than that used at existing national championships such as the NSC and HSNCT. The style and subject distribution of the questions will be quite similar to existing HSAPQ sets.

The entry fee is $560 per team with a $20 discount for bringing up to one buzzer system per team and a further $20 discount if we receive your payment by May 21, 2017 at HSAPQ's mailing address. Each state is welcome and encouraged to register additional (B and on) teams for NASAT. Each additional team will cost $400 per team, minus any discounts the state wishes to claim (mainly the buzzer discount. You may pay on-site but you will not receive the early payment discount if you do so.

All teams must submit an application to HSAPQ for entry into the tournament. In the vast majority of these cases, applications will be accepted outright. However, if more than one contingent from a state seeks to enter this tournament, HSAPQ will evaluate applications from each potential team and determine who may represent their state at the National All-Star Academic Tournament. The only criterion that will be used in this decision is our assessment, based on a review of the players' achievements in the 2016-17 competition year, of which team is likely to perform the best at the tournament. Therefore, GPA, test scores, and non-academic extracurricular activities should not be included on any application; other academic extracurricular activities (e.g. Science Bowl) should only be included if there were limited opportunities for teams in the state to compete at quizbowl. HSAPQ plans to continue consulting with a regional network of advisors who will consult with HSAPQ on these decisions.

HSAPQ will once again use a rolling application procedure: teams who submit applications to HSAPQ on or before March 5 will be notified of HSAPQ's decision no later than March 12. We may also approve an application submitted from this point onwards as soon as "immediately" if we find it unlikely that a stronger team from the state could be assembled. Teams who submit applications to HSAPQ between March 12 and June 1, inclusive, will be notified no later than one week after the application is received. In other words, March 5 is not a hard deadline, and you may still enter the tournament afterwards, though you are encouraged to start forming and fundraising as soon as possible so that a logistical problem does not cause an interested team to miss the tournament. Once a team from a state or state-equivalent has been approved by HSAPQ, HSAPQ will no longer accept alternate applications from that state, but will accept roster changes made by the official team contact (in most cases, the individual that submitted the application). Team applications and recruitment will be handled by Jacob O'Rourke ([email protected]).

The tournament will be directed by Cody Voight, who has assistant tournament-directed previously at NSC and ACF Nationals. If you have any questions, please email him at [email protected]

We look forward to a diverse field and another excellent event this year!
Last edited by 1992 in spaceflight on Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:08 am, edited 3 times in total.
Jacob O'Rourke
Washington (MO) HS Assistant Coach (2014-Present); MOQBA Secretary (2015-Present)
Formerly: AQBL Administrator (2020-2023); HSAPQ Host Contact; NASAT Outreach Coordinator (2016 and 2017); Kirksville HS Assistant Coach (2012-2014); Truman State '14; and Pacific High (MO) '10

Like MOQBA on Facebook and follow us on Twitter!
1992 in spaceflight
Auron

Re: 2017 NASAT: June 24-25 at the University of Kentucky

Field (26 teams):

Maryland [3 teams]
Nevada [1 team]
Georgia [2 teams]
Kentucky [1 team]
Pennsylvania [2 teams]
Missouri [2 teams]
Texas [2 teams]
Illinois [2 teams]
Virginia [1 team]
California [2 teams]
New York [1 team]
Alabama [3 teams]
Michigan [1 team]
Ohio [2 teams]
Florida [1 team]

Updated as of June 12th with the final field
Last edited by 1992 in spaceflight on Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:23 am, edited 24 times in total.
Jacob O'Rourke
Washington (MO) HS Assistant Coach (2014-Present); MOQBA Secretary (2015-Present)
Formerly: AQBL Administrator (2020-2023); HSAPQ Host Contact; NASAT Outreach Coordinator (2016 and 2017); Kirksville HS Assistant Coach (2012-2014); Truman State '14; and Pacific High (MO) '10

1992 in spaceflight
Auron

We've had our first few registrations for NASAT 2017 over the past few days, including our first new entry in Team Nevada! If your state is interested in sending a team (or multiple teams!) to compete at the University of Kentucky and no one involved in organizing your circuit has talked to me or received an email, please send me an email at orourke at hsapq.com.
Jacob O'Rourke

1992 in spaceflight
Auron

The Two Hearts of Kwasi Boachi wrote:The entry fee is $560 per team with a $20 discount for bringing up to one buzzer system per team and a further $20 discount if we receive your payment by May 21, 2017 at HSAPQ's mailing address. You may pay on-site but you will not receive the early payment discount if you do so.
I'm so sorry for neglecting to mention this on the forums, but states are welcome to register additional ("B" and on) teams for NASAT. Each additional team will cost $400, minus any discounts (the buzzer discount, mainly).
Jacob O'Rourke

i never see pigeons in wheeling
Rikku

Post by i never see pigeons in wheeling »

The Two Hearts of Kwasi Boachi wrote:
The Two Hearts of Kwasi Boachi wrote:The entry fee is $560 per team with a $20 discount for bringing up to one buzzer system per team and a further $20 discount if we receive your payment by May 21, 2017 at HSAPQ's mailing address. You may pay on-site but you will not receive the early payment discount if you do so.
I'm so sorry for neglecting to mention this on the forums, but states are welcome to register additional ("B" and on) teams for NASAT. Each additional team will cost $400, minus any discounts (the buzzer discount, mainly).
I don't know how I feel about additional teams being cheaper than the "main" team. Yeah, it's good that it will be more affordable for those teams, but I can't help but think that this system would promote some perverse incentives.
Ankit
Cal '16
Bellarmine College Preparatory '12
a Joe
Rikku

Post by a Joe »

i never see pigeons in wheeling wrote:I can't help but think that this system would promote some perverse incentives.
Like?
"THE" Joe Feldman
President, The Long Island Quiz Bowl Alliance
President, Suffolk County Community College Traveling Trivia Team
Founder, American Quizbowl League
President Emeritus, Smithtown High School West

Ask me how I (almost) monopolized Quizbowl
1992 in spaceflight
Auron

Snoopy wrote:
i never see pigeons in wheeling wrote:I can't help but think that this system would promote some perverse incentives.
Like?
For the record, Ankit and I talked about this the night he posted this, so he's not doing the whole "post and then disappear" act.

The prices for additional teams are not changing for this year's iteration of NASAT. We welcome any feedback whatsoever about our prices, so please feel free to contact us with any questions you may have.
Jacob O'Rourke

a Joe
Rikku

Post by a Joe »

Sounds good to me. Sorry for the trouble.
"THE" Joe Feldman
President, The Long Island Quiz Bowl Alliance
President, Suffolk County Community College Traveling Trivia Team
Founder, American Quizbowl League
President Emeritus, Smithtown High School West

Ask me how I (almost) monopolized Quizbowl
eseifte1
Wakka

Post by eseifte1 »

MARYLAND NASAT TEAMS 2017:
We completed our tryouts and have commitments from the following players (so far).
We are definitely bringing 3 teams.

Current roster (not in any order):
David Miller (Churchill)
Rohan Laljani (Centennial)
Jason Li (Centennial)
Anson Berns (Montgomery Blair)
Naveen Raman (Richard Montgomery)
Adam Howlett (Richard Montgomery)
Alex Hu (Richard Montgomery)
Emmy Alme (Centennial)
Jakob Boeye (Centennial)
Jiawei Bei (Churchill)
David Witten (Montgomery Blair)
Christopher Cha (Centennial)

We are hoping other states express interest soon!

Eric and Sara Seifter and John Heslin
Coaches Maryland NASAT
Eric Seifter Coach, Centennial High School It's Academic
Father Comstock
Lulu

Post by Father Comstock »

There has been interest for an Indiana team. Tryouts are unfortunately not until April though.
Ben Anthony
Harrison High School '17, Purdue University '21
I made this as a freshman, I realize my name is stupid. I never even played Bioshock.
1992 in spaceflight
Auron

Father Comstock wrote:There has been interest for an Indiana team. Tryouts are unfortunately not until April though.
Would you mind letting me know who is organizing the tryouts, so that I can send them an email?
Jacob O'Rourke

Father Comstock
Lulu

Post by Father Comstock »

The Two Hearts of Kwasi Boachi wrote:
Father Comstock wrote:There has been interest for an Indiana team. Tryouts are unfortunately not until April though.
Would you mind letting me know who is organizing the tryouts, so that I can send them an email?
Ben Dillon of St. Joseph's HS.
Ben Anthony
Harrison High School '17, Purdue University '21
I made this as a freshman, I realize my name is stupid. I never even played Bioshock.
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

Kentucky will field a team again this year. We won't select players for the team until April but we want to make sure you have us counted now.
Nicholas C
KQBA member
1992 in spaceflight
Auron

Ferlinghetti's Axis wrote:Kentucky will field a team again this year. We won't select players for the team until April but we want to make sure you have us counted now.
Noted in the field. Thanks, Nick!
Jacob O'Rourke

LaurenJernstadt
Lulu

Post by LaurenJernstadt »

Is there any news on Michigan tryouts? Don't want the great mitten state to go unrepresented!
Lauren Jernstadt
Fulton High School Varsity Captain
2016-2017 Quiz Bowl Season
quiz4life
Lulu

Post by quiz4life »

Just checking with the powers to be but there is a movement to bring a "Team Singapore". Would this be acceptable?

Thanks,
Michael Harvey
Academic Quiz Coach
Concordia International School Shanghai
Shanghai, China

Formerly Coach at
Seoul Foreign School 2018-2020
Community School of Naples, FL. 2015-2018
Singapore American School 2012-2015
Shanghai American School 2003-2005
1992 in spaceflight
Auron

LaurenJernstadt wrote:Is there any news on Michigan tryouts? Don't want the great mitten state to go unrepresented!
Yes. Make sure to check your PMs-I just sent you the contact information you'll need.
Jacob O'Rourke

1992 in spaceflight
Auron

quiz4life wrote:Just checking with the powers to be but there is a movement to bring a "Team Singapore". Would this be acceptable?

Thanks,
We would love to have Team Singapore join us. Please have them email me when they're ready to register.
Jacob O'Rourke

1992 in spaceflight
Auron

HSAPQ is pleased to announce that NASAT 2017 will be happening as planned (in other words, we are not cancelling the tournament). I hope to see many of you at the University of Kentucky at the end of June!
Jacob O'Rourke

luke1865
Lulu

Post by luke1865 »

New York would like to register at least one team
Luke Tierney
2016 HSNCT Championship Team Member
NHBB JV National MVP, 2015
2015 International History Olympiad JV World Champion
Chairman of the Spuyten Duyvil Academic Quiz Federation
crbirdx

Post by crbirdx »

Ohio is having tryouts and we are planning on sending one team.
Last edited by crbirdx on Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Antrobus63
Wakka

Post by Antrobus63 »

Won't someone take pity on New York's QB seniors and give them a ride to Lexington? I have watched these kids play against my team for some years now and would like to see them wrap up their careers in style at NASAT. Once they get there, I would also like to see Pennsylvania beat them. But first things first...
Peter Schmidt
Columbia '84, Yale '88
Coach, Moravian Academy History Bowl 2020-23
Lehigh Valley Academy 2016-18
Pennsylvania NASAT '15, ‘18, ‘22, '23
Owner and Teacher, Prepare Test Preparation
1992 in spaceflight
Auron

This post contains a detailed breakdown of the NASAT distribution. If I find out a part of the distribution has changed, I will update this post.
Jacob O'Rourke

1992 in spaceflight
Auron

Here are the rosters that I have so far. I will update this post as more rosters come in.

Rosters:

Virginia
-Fred Zhang (Sophomore, Thomas Jefferson)
-James Kuang (Sophomore, Thomas Jefferson)
-William Wang (Freshman, Thomas Jefferson)
-Benjamin Xu (Sophomore, Thomas Jefferson)
-Justin Young (Freshman, McLean)
-Julia Zhou (Sophomore, Thomas Jefferson)

Pennsylvania A
-Jaya Alagar (Junior, Alagar Homeschool)
-Rajan Alagar (Junior, Alagar Homeschool)
-Brandon Roe (Senior, Lancaster Mennonite)
-Alex Schmidt (Junior, Lehigh Valley)
-Vishwa Shanmugam (Junior, Downingtown STEM)

Pennsylvania B
-Sebastien La Duca (Senior, Wallenpaupack)
-Sydney Preston (Sophomore, Camp Hill)
-Colton Sanden (Senior, Camp Hill)
-Will Davis (Junior, Shady Side)
-Jackie Wu (Junior, Downingtown East)

Missouri A
-Joe Stitz (Senior, Washington)
-Alex Donovan (Junior, MICDS)
-Raj Paul (Sophomore, Ladue)
-Cole Phinney (Senior, Washington)

Missouri B
-Ganon Evans (Junior, Francis Howell)
-William Gentry (Junior, St. Joseph Central)
-Spencer Johnson (Senior, Washington)
-Matt Chalem (Senior, Washington)

New York
-Luke Tierney (Senior, Hunter)
-Casey Wetherbee (Senior, Ithaca)
-Luc Wetherbee (Senior, Ithaca)
-Daniel Xu (Senior, Ithaca)

Maryland A
-Anson Berns (Sophomore, Montgomery Blair)
-Alex Hu (Junior, Richard Montgomery)
-Jakob Boeye (Junior, Centennial)
-Emmaline Alme (Junior, Centennial)

Maryland B
-Adam Howlett (Junior, Richard Montgomery)
-David Witten (Junior, Montgomery Blair)
-Rohan Laljani (Senior, Centennial)
-Naveen Raman (Junior, Richard Montgomery)

Maryland C
-Anthony Duan (Freshman, Centennial)
-David Miller (Senior, Winston Churchill)
-Jiawei Bai (Junior, Winston Churchill)
-Christopher Cha (Senior, Centennial)

Michigan
-Ricky Li (Senior, Okemos)
-Chris Gilmer-Hill (Junior, Detroit Country Day)
-Tuhin Chakraborty (Junior, Troy)
-Devin Humphreys (Senior, Sacred Heart Academy)

Illinois A
-Matthew Lehman (Senior, Barrington)
-Jakob Myers (Senior, Naperville North)
-Pranav Sivakumar (Senior, IMSA)
-Ethan Strombeck (Sophomore, Rockford Auburn)

Illinois B
-Anishka Bandara (Senior, Oak Park-River Forest)
-Brian Kalathiveetil (Senior, Waubonsie Valley)
-Kevin Kodama (Sophomore, Oak Park-River Forest)
-Sophie Netzel (Freshman, Glenbard West)
-John Waldron (Senior, Barrington)

California A
-Michael Nisenzon (Senior, Gunn)
-Bryant Cong (Senior, Bellarmine College Prep)
-James Malouf (Senior, La Jolla)
-Justin French (Junior, Crystal Springs Upland)

California B
-William Scott (Senior, Homestead)
-Arianne Crosby (Senior, Los Alamitos)
-Keoni Rodriguez (Senior, Cathedral Catholic)
-Suprav Goswami (Sophomore, Mission San Jose)

Alabama A
-Venu Reddy (Senior, Springwood)
-Will Parker (Junior, West Point)
-Rishik Hombal (Junior, Hoover)
-Judson Christopher (Sophomore, Southside)

Alabama B
-Sharath Narayan (Junior, James Clemens)
-Joseph Jun (Junior, Hoover)
-Andy Kong (Junior, Hoover)
-Peter Scalise (Junior, Indian Springs)

Alabama C
-Jared Stinson (Senior, Dothan)
-Kohan Lovett (Junior, West Point)
-Tom Parker (Junior, West Point)
-Henry Goff (Junior, Indian Springs)
-Austin Frederick (Senior, West Point)

Ohio A
-Clark Smith (Junior, Dublin Scioto)
-Enoch Fu (Senior, Dublin Scioto)
-Hari Parameswaran (Sophomore, Beavercreek)
-Hunter Wotruba (Senior, Fisher Catholic)
-Andrew Zhang (Junior, Dublin Jerome)

Ohio B
-Pranav Padmanabhan (Junior, Boardman)
-John John Groger (Freshman, Miami Valley)
-Jason Wright (Junior, Black River)
-Frank Zhu (Senior, Brecksville-Broadview Heights)

Kentucky
-Seth Allen (Junior, Woodford County)
-Zsombor Gal (Junior, Paul Laurence Dunbar)
-Daniel McAllister (Senior, Danville)
-Mason Reid (Sophomore, Glasgow)

Georgia A
-Ashwin Ramaswami (Senior, Chattahoochee)
-Kevin Huang (Junior, Chattahoochee)
-Andrew Liang (Senior, Johns Creek)
-Min Kim (Senior, Collins Hill)

Georgia B
-Ben Wise (Junior, Marist)
-AJ Cox (Senior, Woodstock)
-Akaash Para (Sophomore, Northview)
-Jessica Lao (Sophomore, Westminster)
-Varun Vangala (Sophomore, Northview)

Nevada
-Eshaan Vakil (Freshman, Ed W. Clark)

Florida
-Tracy Mirkin (Senior, South Fork)

Texas A
-William Golden (Sophomore, James E. Taylor)
-Andy Huff (Senior, St. John's)
-Patrick Magee (Senior, St. Mark's)
-Ujwal Punymurtula (Senior, LASA)

Texas B
-Rafay Ashary (Sophomore, Clements)
-John Luke Broussard (Sophomore, Strake Jesuit)
-Robert Condron (Freshman, Strake Jesuit)
-Manith Luthria (Sophomore, Carnegie Vanguard)
-Tyler McStravick (Sophomore, St. Thomas)
Last edited by 1992 in spaceflight on Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:04 pm, edited 24 times in total.
Jacob O'Rourke

1992 in spaceflight
Auron

Just want to remind everybody of the hotels we were recommended last year. To quote myself from last year's NASAT thread:
myself in the NASAT 2016 thread wrote:The Clarion Hotel Lexington is fairly cheap and is a straight shot to campus. The only drawback, however, is that there are only rooms with king-sized beds available.

The Hyatt and Hilton in Lexington are also excellent hotels and close to campus, but they are much more expensive. Embassy Suites is also a nice hotel, but it's also pretty expensive.
Jacob O'Rourke

Antrobus63
Wakka

Post by Antrobus63 »

Great to see so many people coming this year.
Peter Schmidt
Columbia '84, Yale '88
Coach, Moravian Academy History Bowl 2020-23
Lehigh Valley Academy 2016-18
Pennsylvania NASAT '15, ‘18, ‘22, '23
Owner and Teacher, Prepare Test Preparation
Joshua Rutsky
Tidus

Post by Joshua Rutsky »

Pending some organization, Alabama is going to try to field one team, possibly two.
Joshua Rutsky
VP for Curriculum and Camp Operations, Qwiz
ASCA Board Member
Hoover High School Coach (Retired)
quiz4life
Lulu

Post by quiz4life »

Things look very good for a Team Florida.

A Team Singapore is still a possibility.
Michael Harvey
Academic Quiz Coach
Concordia International School Shanghai
Shanghai, China

Formerly Coach at
Seoul Foreign School 2018-2020
Community School of Naples, FL. 2015-2018
Singapore American School 2012-2015
Shanghai American School 2003-2005
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

Post by naan/steak-holding toll »

Will the NASAT set be available for open mirrors again this year?
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
Columbia Business School '21
1992 in spaceflight
Auron

Periplus of the Erythraean Sea wrote:Will the NASAT set be available for open mirrors again this year?
Yes.
Jacob O'Rourke

quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

Odds are, Alabama will have 2 teams. I'm working to coordinate everything at this time.
Lee Henry
AP Lit and APUSH Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
President-Elect/Past President- Alabama Scholastic Competition Association (ASCA)
Everything in the Whole Wide World
Wakka

Post by Everything in the Whole Wide World »

We have had a slight change to our team. Due to a conflict, Hunter Stecko had to drop, and has been replaced by Will Davis (Senior, Shady Side).
Ben Herman
Henderson High School (2007-2011) [West Chester, PA]
University of Delaware (2011-2015)
Penn State University (2015-Present)
Co-Founder and Director, Greater Pennsylvania Quizbowl Resource
1992 in spaceflight
Auron

Everything in the Whole Wide World wrote:We have had a slight change to our team. Due to a conflict, Hunter Stecko had to drop, and has been replaced by Will Davis (Senior, Shady Side).
This is fixed on the Pennsylvania rosters.
Jacob O'Rourke

quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

Alabama will have 3 teams. Two will be funded by ASCA and the third will be funded by the kids on the team.
Lee Henry
AP Lit and APUSH Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
President-Elect/Past President- Alabama Scholastic Competition Association (ASCA)
1992 in spaceflight
Auron

quizbowllee wrote:Alabama will have 3 teams. Two will be funded by ASCA and the third will be funded by the kids on the team.
I've added them to the field. Looking forward to seeing you there, Lee!
Jacob O'Rourke

quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

I may be just overlooking it, but I can't seem to find the actual rules of the NASAT tournament anywhere. Does it follow the PACE NSC format and rules? Is there anywhere where the rules are posted so that I can familiarize myself with them?

Thanks.
Lee Henry
AP Lit and APUSH Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
1992 in spaceflight
Auron

quizbowllee wrote:I may be just overlooking it, but I can't seem to find the actual rules of the NASAT tournament anywhere. Does it follow the PACE NSC format and rules? Is there anywhere where the rules are posted so that I can familiarize myself with them?

Thanks.
NASAT uses ACF rules. The ACF rules can be found here.
Jacob O'Rourke

1992 in spaceflight
Auron

Just for a few updates:

1. The tournament will take place in White Hall (where we were last year).

2. Cody scheduled his honeymoon for the weekend of NASAT, so (barring a work conflict, in which case we have a contingency plan in the form of Tyler Reid of the UK team) I will be taking over as the director of NASAT. Any inquiries about NASAT may be directed to me at orourke [at] hsapq.com.

Thanks, and I'm looking forward to seeing everybody there!
Jacob O'Rourke

1992 in spaceflight
Auron

As I posted on the college section, we're still in need of staff for this event. If you're interested in staffing NASAT, please make sure to get in touch with me!
Jacob O'Rourke

1992 in spaceflight
Auron

Registration for NASAT will close on Monday, June 12th at 11:59 PM central time. This time is also being set as the no-penalty drop date. As this is less than 2 weeks before the tournament, any drops after this time will come with a $100 penalty. Our hope is that we do not have to assess this penalty.

This restriction only applies to withdrawing a team from NASAT; for example, you can change your rosters after June 12th as needed.
Jacob O'Rourke

quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

Team Alabama Rosters:

Team A:
Venu Reddy (Springwood)
Will Parker (West Point)
Rishik Hombal (Hoover)
Judson Christopher (Southside)

Team B:
Sharath Narayan (James Clemens)
Joseph Jun (Hoover)
Andy Kong (Hoover)
Peter Scalise (Indian Springs)

Team C:
Jared Stinson (Dothan)
Kohan Lovett (West Point)
Tom Parker (West Point)
Henry Goff (Indian Springs)
Austin Frederick (West Point)
Lee Henry
AP Lit and APUSH Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
1992 in spaceflight
Auron

Just a reminder that registration for NASAT will close on Monday at 11:59 PM central time. If you want to attend, please make sure you register by then!
Jacob O'Rourke

scottkim
Lulu

Post by scottkim »

Georgia is planning on bringing 2 teams.

Georgia A
Ashwin Ramaswami (Chattahoochee)
Kevin Huang (Chattahoochee)
Andrew Liang (Johns Creek)
Min Kim (Collins Hill)

Georgia B
Ben Wise (Marist)
AJ Cox (Woodstock)
Akaash Para (Northview)
Jessica Lao (Westminster)
Varun Vangala (Northview)
Scott Kim
Quiz Bowl Coach
North Gwinnett MS (2017-Present)
Collins Hill HS (2006-2017)
trbenedict
Lulu

Post by trbenedict »

Sent an email over the past week, but Ohio is attending with two teams:

Ohio A

Enoch Fu (Dublin Scioto)
Hari Parameswaran (Beavercreek)
Clark Smith (Dublin Scioto)
Hunter Wotruba (Fisher Catholic)
Andrew Zhang (Dublin Jerome)

Ohio B

John John Groger (Miami Valley)
Pranav Padmanabhan (Boardman)
Jason Wright (Black River)
Frank Zhu (Brecksville-Broadview Heights)
Tyler Benedict
Miami Valley
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

I need to update my restaurant list and will try to do so this week. Lexington is fortunate in a rather diverse and high quality dining scene for a city of this size. Three foods Kentucky is known for: the hot brown, burgoo, and beer cheese.

Things you can do in Lexington (keep in mind I'm typing this as I watch the Finals):

SURVIVE THE FACT THAT EVERYONE IN THIS CITY IS A TERRIBLE DRIVER AND ALSO THE PLANNING FOR ROADS WAS 'SIMCITY AS PLAYED BY A BORED 11 YEAR OLD'

uuuuuuuuugh

HORSES

There are lots of horses in Lexington. Hope you like horses.

There are two race tracks, Keeneland and the Red Mile. Keeneland seems to be nicer and conducts tours during their offeseasons. Lexington has the Kentucky Horse Park, which is the home of 50+ breeds. Both Keeneland and the KY Horse Park are very beautiful.

BOURBON

There are lots of distilleries to tour. I'm sure schools would have concerns about this, though. Won't go into this in too much detail as a result.

HISTORY

Historic sites include:the house Mary Todd Lincoln grew up in, Henry Clay's home, the Hunt-Morgan house with connections to John Hunt Morgan & Thomas Hunt Morgan; and more. This link history has lots more places to check out too.

Shaker Village of Pleasant Hill is the preserved site of what was at one time the third largest group of Shakers in the U.S. It's about a half hour away from Lexington.

SPROTSSPROTSSPROTSSPROTS

The Lexington Legends are the A-ball affiliate of the Royals but they'll be out of town.

The Rollergirls of Central Kentucky will be hosting a... match? Meet? Anyway, over the weekend of NASAT at Heritage Hall.

OTHER

Joseph-Beth is a very nice local independent book store. There are multiple Half Price Books.

ARSENIO HALL IS GOING TO BE IN TOWN LOL

CALENDARS

Official for the city

Ace Weekly

I will try to add more to this as I can.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
Scottietodd
Wakka

Post by Scottietodd »

I know that Nick registered a Kentucky team, but do not know if you have our rosters yet.

Daniel McAllister (Danville)
Seth Allen (Woodford)
Zsombar Gal (Dunbar)
Mason Reid (Glasgow)
Todd Garrison
Glasgow High School
Coach - 2012 to present
1992 in spaceflight
Auron

Scottietodd wrote:I know that Nick registered a Kentucky team, but do not know if you have our rosters yet.

Daniel McAllister (Danville)
Seth Allen (Woodford)
Zsombar Gal (Dunbar)
Mason Reid (Glasgow)
This matches the roster that Nick sent me. Thanks!
Jacob O'Rourke

1992 in spaceflight
Auron

All teams can expect to receive a logistics email from me later today, detailing the schedule for Saturday and Sunday and hopefully answering any questions you may have.
Jacob O'Rourke

1992 in spaceflight
Auron

1992 in spaceflight wrote:All teams can expect to receive a logistics email from me later today, detailing the schedule for Saturday and Sunday and hopefully answering any questions you may have.
If you did not receive this logistics email, please let me know as soon as possible!
Jacob O'Rourke