Illinois 05-06

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

Post by Irreligion in Bangladesh »

Trevkeeper wrote:I was going to ask about the possibilities of the IHSSBCA sponsoring some sort of state tournament, but then I realized the market would become saturated--we already have the real state series (IHSA), Masonic State, and NAQT State (which, at this stage is just a regular tournament, but a state tournament none the less). A fourth would really diminish the value.
Why don't we push the value of NAQT state over time? Establishing NAQT "Sectionals" across the state, having some established schools host an NAQT tournament during the season, etc. would foster some knowledge of the format, and with sectionals feeding into the NAQT finals, it would gain extra value.[/b]
Tegan
Coach of AHAN Jr.

Post by Tegan »

Trevkeeper wrote:I'm a bit confused here: when people mention getting NAQT to do the state series, do they mean having the state series done by NAQT in NAQT format, or the state series done by NAQT but in IHSA format? I mean the latter.
Depending on who you talk to, perhaps both.

To be honest, having visited other states, I actually like our overall format better than most. That isn't to say that a little tweaking wouldn't be a bad idea (I am actually liking handouts, and wish we could add in more audio/video questions). I think the #1 big issue that we have is question quality. If we could get NAQT to write questions to our category distribution, I think that alone would be a major step forward.
Tegan
Coach of AHAN Jr.

Post by Tegan »

styxman wrote:Why don't we push the value of NAQT state over time? Establishing NAQT "Sectionals" across the state, having some established schools host an NAQT tournament during the season, etc. would foster some knowledge of the format, and with sectionals feeding into the NAQT finals, it would gain extra value.
This would be a great idea, but a great many coaches in Illinois really hate the NAQT tournament format:

1. The questions (in their, not my opinion) are too long! I was at the Earlybird and had a coach cmoe up to me and say "Great tournament, but these questions go on forever...you forget what the question is all about by the end). My response is that this might be true for the coach, and weaker players, but not with the goo players.

2. The "timed" aspect of NAQT can be intimidating....not just the timed matches (which is optional in locally run tournaments), but the fact that you must answer immediately, and you really need to read at a faster clip. Some coaches are intimidated by this.

3. NAQT tournaments give a lot of matches. I think this is the second biggest plus (next to question quality), but a lot of coaches tha I have talked to don't like long tournaments.

This is really pretty sad in many respects that coaches impress their own feelings onto their players like this, or use their players as an "excuse" out of doing more.

In short, outside of the Chicago area, I think it might be very difficult to get enough teams to attend a sectional held in the NAQT format.

Hence, I was hoping that if we could get the NAQT format (at least questions) pushed as our state provider, it would force coaches into confronting this reality and adapting.
Trevkeeper
Tidus

Post by Trevkeeper »

So, how'd the frosh/teams look today at Carmel?
Nick, IU and Aegis Questions
David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

Carmel results

1. Loyola A
2. Wheaton Warrenville South
3. Stevenson
4. New Trier

B-team backet

1. Loyola B
2. Stevenson B
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

Kaneland Varsity Results

1. Auburn
2. Wheaton North A
3. Winnebago
4. Byron
Consolation: Naperville North over Kaneland A
7th: Sterling over Maine South A

Very good games in the semifinals, with WN beating Byron (I'm not sure on the score, but WN was above 300) and Auburn beating 'Bago 220-210. Auburn did something along the lines of sweeping #'s 18, 19, and 20 against WN in the final to turn a 5 point margin into a 100 point victory in the finals. I'd post All-Tournament team if I knew the 4th and 5th place finishers, or all 11 (there was a tie for 10th).

A well run tournament by all involved, although the questions were a little easy at times. (note: I'll say this about every tournament from here to Peoria, and you all know that by now :) The questions were standard Saturday IHSA format, so don't read into my rants :))
Trevkeeper
Tidus

Post by Trevkeeper »

David Riley wrote:Carmel results

1. Loyola A
2. Wheaton Warrenville South
3. Stevenson
4. New Trier

B-team backet

1. Loyola B
2. Stevenson B
Wow, our F/S team got 4th with 3 people? Not bad.

Loyola has more talent coming through the pipeline...again.

This year appear's to be Stevenson's "down" year, but based on last year's F/S team (and this one, apparently), it won't be that way for long.

Wheaton Warrenville South came out of nowhere. Interesting.
popculture
Lulu

Post by popculture »

In my experience, Wheaton Warrenville South has always been a team you have to watch out for and make sure you're on your game against because they can really bring it. This was true for last year's varsity and, apparently, is true for this year's JV.
David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

Yes, the top four finishers at Carmel will definitely be forces to be reckoned with when they reach varsity play. In the matches that I watched throughout the day, there were very few bonus parts that went unanswered. To me, that's a sign that they know their stuff. Fremd. Libertyville, Maine East, and Lake Zurich, who made the quarterfinals . also did well. Any other up and coming frosh/soph teams out there?
Summoned Skull
Lulu

Post by Summoned Skull »

D Mac and Mt.Zion fresh/soph both have impressive records so far this season; MtZ especially.
James Sanner
UIUC Academic Buzzer Team
Secretary of Minivan Operations
Admiral
Lulu

Post by Admiral »

Overall it was well run, but was there any rhyme or reason to how the brackets were set up? I think a couple of schools had fairly easy mornings compared to others.
Last edited by Admiral on Sun Nov 06, 2005 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The first rule of quiz bowl is that you do not talk about quiz bowl.....Second Rule...last names only!"
Admiral
Lulu

Post by Admiral »

styxman wrote:Kaneland Varsity

A well run tournament by all involved, although the questions were a little easy at times.
I'll echo the sentiments......while it was a long day (are there other tournaments with scheduled 8:30 starting times?). I wish there had been more matches in the morning (I prefer getting in five instead of four).
"The first rule of quiz bowl is that you do not talk about quiz bowl.....Second Rule...last names only!"
Trevkeeper
Tidus

Post by Trevkeeper »

So, who's everyone got for Solo?

Just a quick observation, two tough first round matches: Alex Beata vs. Matt McKenna and Brad Fischer vs. Greg Gauthier. Those are going to be hard-luck losses (and well deserved wins).
Summoned Skull
Lulu

Post by Summoned Skull »

I would have done solo if it wasn't 3.5 hours away...
James Sanner
UIUC Academic Buzzer Team
Secretary of Minivan Operations
Stained Diviner
Auron

Post by Stained Diviner »

two tough first round matches: Alex Beata vs. Matt McKenna and Brad Fischer vs. Greg Gauthier
Keep in mind that those are safety matches--no harm, no foul.
David Reinstein
Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo, Masonics, and IESA; TD for Scobol Solo and Reinstein Varsity; IHSSBCA Board Member; IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014); PACE President (2016-2018)
Trevkeeper
Tidus

Post by Trevkeeper »

ReinsteinD wrote:
two tough first round matches: Alex Beata vs. Matt McKenna and Brad Fischer vs. Greg Gauthier
Keep in mind that those are safety matches--no harm, no foul.
Yes, apparently my brain has not yet learned how to register asteriks. For some reason I thought they appeared next to the players' names, not the match number.
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

Mr. Reinstein, you've provided me hours of peaceful rest knowing I don't have to worry about starting Solo against Greg Gauthier :) And Beata/McKenna will be a barn burner as well. Could very easily turn into the Blair Nathan/Donald Taylor first round match last year, 11-8 score.

Seriously though, of the four Nick mentioned, I think all four of us have a chance of winning, along with Rob (Brookwood) and Colleen. Katie from Loyola might suprise, and I've heard good things about Shauna Guarantine from Lisle.

Also, a note for Mr. Reinstein, check your email, I've just emailed you with new Bago information.
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

I remember that match. I wanted my revenge since Blair placed higher than me two years previously (both of us were sophomores), plus during my time, I had a habit of being very good or very bad in the first round.
popculture
Lulu

Post by popculture »

Because I read way too many sports articles, I think of every competition as having "storylines." Here are the ones I see for the Fifth Annual Scobol Solo:

1. Will Rob of Brookwood pull a Sara Garnett (and win the tournament coming from out-of-state)?
2. Will Loyola pull a Fremd (and put two in the finals)?
3. Will Colleen win all 3 Lit ribbons? (Her overall results will be hurt because she's not a generalist, who have huge advantages in this format, but the fact remains: she owns Lit like Ben Wallace owns the paint.)
4. Will New Trier be represented in the finals? (They've had at least one rep every year)
5. How will the non-Seniors do? (Only one non-senior, Beata, has made finals in last two years. Erin Li of Maine East (has my vote) and Greg Gauthier have legitimate chances. The last Soph.'s to make it were Blair and Donald)
6. Will last year's Desperation Shooters make the leap? (By my count, 8 from last year's Desperation Shot are returning: John Bracke, Parnell Dean, Brad, Greg, Matt, Katie, Shauna (who's better than advertised), and Ben Weiss (another threat to win it all))
7. Is this the coolest tournament ever? Yes (the only thing that could make this better is gambling)

I don't care what any of you say, the Swiss pairing is definitely better than a 99-round round robin.
Trevkeeper
Tidus

Post by Trevkeeper »

popculture wrote: 1. Will Rob of Brookwood pull a Sara Garnett (and win the tournament coming from out-of-state)?
3. Will Colleen win all 3 Lit ribbons? (Her overall results will be hurt because she's not a generalist, who have huge advantages in this format, but the fact remains: she owns Lit like Ben Wallace owns the paint.)
4. Will New Trier be represented in the finals? (They've had at least one rep every year)
5. How will the non-Seniors do? (Only one non-senior, Beata, has made finals in last two years. Erin Li of Maine East (has my vote) and Greg Gauthier have legitimate chances. The last Soph.'s to make it were Blair and Donald)
6. Will last year's Desperation Shooters make the leap? (By my count, 8 from last year's Desperation Shot are returning: John Bracke, Parnell Dean, Brad, Greg, Matt, Katie, Shauna (who's better than advertised), and Ben Weiss (another threat to win it all))
7. Is this the coolest tournament ever? Yes (the only thing that could make this better is gambling)

I don't care what any of you say, the Swiss pairing is definitely better than a 99-round round robin.
1. Quite possible. If I had to pick one person right now to win it, it would be Rob Sale.
2. Maybe, but I'm not so sure. I could see one making it for sure and one in the desperation shot, though.
3. It's quite possible she wins everything Literature. I don't know how good of a generalist Colleen is, since Tyler is there to pick up everything else normally. I still think she'll do well (6-1, at least desperation shot).
4. Perhaps. Last year Thomas Buley went 5-2, I think, so he has a legit shot to do better.
5. I'd agree with you that the best two non-seniors are Greg and Erin. Also, the other Maine East person, Alex, is pretty good.
6. I'd say Brad has the best chance to make it this year out of all those players. I've heard good things about this Shauna, though.
7. Most definitely.

And yes, Swiss pairing is cool.
Stained Diviner
Auron

Swiss pairing is cool
Technically, it's not Swiss pairing. It's the closest I can come without destroying my life.
David Reinstein
Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo, Masonics, and IESA; TD for Scobol Solo and Reinstein Varsity; IHSSBCA Board Member; IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014); PACE President (2016-2018)
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

popculture wrote:Because I read way too many sports articles, I think of every competition as having "storylines." Here are the ones I see for the Fifth Annual Scobol Solo:

1. Will Rob of Brookwood pull a Sara Garnett (and win the tournament coming from out-of-state)?

1: I can definitely see Rob winning this thing rather easily. He wouldn't be Brookwood's captain without the ability to, and he was very good at ACE camp. I'd say he has the best chance out of any of us.

2: Loyola's obviously the best equipped to do it, but I doubt they could. I say no, but I wouldn't be remotely suprised if they did it.

3: I don't think she can do it. I can see a buzzer beater taking away a few tossups. She may win one or two, and she'll place in all three, but I can't see her pulling off the triple crown.

4: I don't see Trevkeeper in the schedule...that hurts their chances. Carlo could do it, but it's too strong a field to guarantee a spot. I say no, but again, no surprise here if they do it.

5: Gauthier will make the finals, but everyone else I can think off [Sale, Powers, Matt and Katie (I'm assuming these two are seniors), Beata, Shauna, myself, etc.] are seniors.

6: Greg, Matt, and I should most likely make it...Shauna should, but I haven't seen her play...Katie most likely will, but I can see her going up against someone like Greg or Matt in the last round and falling short.

7: Indeed. The 20 ribbons for category prizes are the clincher for me.
Tegan
Coach of AHAN Jr.

Post by Tegan »

I think you would all have a better chance hadndicapping harness racing than this tournament.
Trevkeeper
Tidus

Post by Trevkeeper »

[quote="styxman"]4: I don't see Trevkeeper in the schedule...that hurts their chances. Carlo could do it, but it's too strong a field to guarantee a spot. I say no, but again, no surprise here if they do it.
quote]

A couple of things:

1. I was a late addition to the schedule. I'm somewhere on the second page (I play at 9:40 in 321...the Beata-McKenna match is in that room before me, that will be a fun one to watch).

2. I wouldn't say I raises our chances that much. If anything, only one percent, because it goes from 4% to 5% just on straight probability. The four NT players ahead of me (Thomas, Ed, Moses, Carlo) all have either the same or better realistic shot as I do. Those players have all been on the A team so far, and I've been on B (which is where I belong until I play better)

3. I'd say Buley and Ed (in that order) have the best chance to make it from New Trier.

4. I'm hoping to make at least Desperation shot tomorrow. I was 3-4 last year, with a couple close losses (including one that went to the last OT tossup). However, last year was my first year playing, and before that, I'd only played in one tournament and 2 or 3 CSL matches. Even from just playing more I've gotten better, but I also went to ACE, so yeah, I'm hoping at least Desperation Shot. It will be tough even making that though, no doubt about it.
mrs. dalloway
Lulu

Post by mrs. dalloway »

3. Brad's right. Buzzer beaters will hurt me. Chris Ray would have killed me at ACE had he not negged out. But if I say so myself, I don't think lit is the ONLY thing I know. Obviously Tyler's got a lot of the history, geography, art, and music covered in team play because he's Tyler, but that doesn't mean I don't know a lot of it. That said, there are a lot of players that can and probably will kill me at Solo. I'm planning just to have fun.
4. Hey, Brad, I know you may have forgotten this, and it's understandable, but Trevkeeper's real name is Nick Matchen. Did you miss him on the schedule? And they have at least two or three other pretty good players whose names currently escape me. Trev's decent, but he was on the B team at Northwestern.
7. Yes.

The other questions have pretty much been covered, so I'll refrain from rehashing.
"That's the problem with real life. People don't just break into musical song and dance."
mlaird
Tidus

Post by mlaird »

mrs. dalloway wrote:4. Hey, Brad, I know you may have forgotten this, and it's understandable, but Trevkeeper's real name is Nick Matchen...Trev's decent, but he was on the B team at Northwestern.
Hey Colleen, don't you mean that Nick Matchen's real name is Trevkeeper?

And also, has Greg G. played a tournament this year(Kaneland?)? He wasn't at the Ultima this year, and wasn't all that stunning, outside of math, to me last year. Granted he comes from an honerable lineage, but maybe I just haven't seen him enough.
Trevkeeper
Tidus

Post by Trevkeeper »

If I remember correctly, Greg went 4-3 last year as a freshman.
leapfrog314
Wakka

Post by leapfrog314 »

4: I don't see Trevkeeper in the schedule...that hurts their chances. Carlo could do it, but it's too strong a field to guarantee a spot. I say no, but again, no surprise here if they do it.
Trevkeeper's a generalist, and he's good with lists of titles and authors and such, but I go really deep into the few things that I know, which is why I've turned out to be better in varsity, at least for the time being.

I hope having nobody else on my side will give me a reason to be way more aggressive tomorrow than usual. One of my problems is that I'm not aggressive enough. That, and I'm bad at math computation (yet very good at non-schobowl math) and my greatest strength (classical music) is not heavily represented in questions.

I'm going to have to start calling Nick Trevkeeper in school. In fact, I should get all my friends to start calling him Trevkeeper. Y'know, just so that he's used to it at tournaments when everyone else calls him Trevkeeper.

See you all at Solo tomorrow!
Trevkeeper
Tidus

Post by Trevkeeper »

Solo was awesome.

As expected, Rob Sale won. He pretty much dominated the finals (it was 17-8 or something).

To answer some earlier questions with some hindsight:

Loyola didn't have two in, but Katie did pretty well in the finals. Matt made desperation I think.

Beata made desperation, which was a surprise. I thought he'd make it in.

New Trier had two people in the finals, Carlo and myself (big, big shock. Totally didn't expect myself to make it that far.)

I was happy (alright, ecstatic) with the way the day turned out. I lost my first match (to another Trevian, of course), but then won my next 6.

At lunch, Carlo mentioned how he hoped he wouldn't start playing worse after lunch (we have a tendency to do that). For some reason, I played better. In my first afternoon match, it was 3-2 after 10. The final was 11-3. The second match was a tough one (I played against Conor McCarthy of St. Ignatius, very good player), but I managed to win 5-2. The last one...I had to face Erin Li. I was not looking forward to that one. For the first 15 questions, it seemed like I had a fairly comfortable 2 or 3 point lead. After 15, it was 6-3 in my favor. Erin proceeded to get 17-19 right, and it came down to the last tossup...which I got. It was awesome, a great match. She's a great player.

The one thing that happened in the afternoon was that I barely negged (one of which didn't really matter as it was in the 11-3 match), which, if you've seen me play, is a rarity. I was more under control, and was able to be more calm and win the buzzer races. I should really do that in regular matches more often.

Solo was once again run without a hitch- Mr. Reinstein and the crew did a great job. Always on time, quick rounds, good moderators...great all around.

I can't wait until next year!
leapfrog314
Wakka

Post by leapfrog314 »

popculture wrote:Because I read way too many sports articles, I think of every competition as having "storylines." Here are the ones I see for the Fifth Annual Scobol Solo:

And just to resolve those burning questions once and for all...

1. Yes he did.
2. No they didn't. But New Trier did, with me and Nick. Loyola didn't do badly, though. Katie made it to the final four (which neither me nor Nick did).
3. I don't think Colleen did. If she did, I hope she will forgive me.
4. Yes we were. Two times over.
5. Greg (sophomore), Nick (junior), and I (junior) made it to the finals.
6. Greg, Katie, Brad, and Ben went 6-1. John won the desperation shot. Wow. The majority of the 9 finalists had gotten into the desperation shot last year. Three of the other four of us were playing Solo for the first time. Apparently you only make the finals once? :neutral: (Looking at past results, it appears as though only Paul Gauthier and Matt Keenan have made the finals twice.)
7. Yes.
Tegan
Coach of AHAN Jr.

Post by Tegan »

leapfrog314 wrote:Looking at past results, it appears as though only Paul Gauthier and Matt Keenan have made the finals twice.)
I have a nagging suspicion that Paul is going to not be the final Hawaiian shirted one to grace the finals twice...nor the last Gauthier.
Stained Diviner
Auron

I'll beat DaGeneral to it and state that Mr. Donald Taylor from Decatur MacArthur is the only person to make the Finals in nonconsecutive years.
David Reinstein
mrs. dalloway
Lulu

Post by mrs. dalloway »

Ha ha, I proved you all wrong by only getting one lit ribbon and by making it into the finals. On the other hand, Trevkeeper proved me wrong by being one of two Trevians to make the finals, so I guess I owe him an apology...

I really enjoyed the tournament; it seemed more exciting and well-run than the average IHSA Saturday tournament. I only wish I'd been able to come in past years; since I'm a senior, this was my last chance.

Also, best quote of the day:
Carlo: "Yeah, there's like a new anti-rape condom."
Trevkeeper: "Oh, it it a bear claw?"
(Carlo and Colleen stare blankly at Trev for several seconds)
"That's the problem with real life. People don't just break into musical song and dance."
JWyPlatinum
Lulu

PAWAC

Post by JWyPlatinum »

First of all, I am a complete idiot. I apologize for not knowing that a new subject would put out a new thread. (See PAWAC thread)

Secondly, I hate to stray from the ever-popular Solo competition, but there was another tournament on Saturday, albeit not as glamorous. Here are the results from the Peoria Area World Affairs Council tournament on Saturday.

1. Bloomington HS
2. Normal West
3. Morton
4. Peoria Heights

All-tournament team that will be sent to Washington, D.C. to compete in April:

Greg Baboukis, Normal West
Hunter Fast, Bloomington HS
Dylan Troxel, Peoria Heights
Mike Hahn, IVC
??????????????, St. Bede Academy (sorry I don't know your name)

Congrats to all Solo competitors
Thank you Bill Beaird, for countless years of excellent teaching and coaching. My Hall of Fame candidate for 2007.
Tegan
Coach of AHAN Jr.

Re: PAWAC

Post by Tegan »

JWyPlatinum wrote: 1. Bloomington HS
2. Normal West
3. Morton
4. Peoria Heights
Am I correct that Blloomington was short handed? I think there were one or two Purple Raiders at the Schobo Solo. If I'm correct on that, this is a pretty impressive accomplishment against some pretty good competition.
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

Reinstein, thanks for the praise. What you left out though is that in the in-between year, I made it to the desperation shot.
Heilsmoochie
Lulu

Post by Heilsmoochie »

In reply to PAWAC:

Colin Barry of St. Bede is the alternate.

I noticed that Kristina Waren of Bloomington was not present at that meet. It seemed odd that we took such a good team into overtime in the semi-finals. I'm sure she would have probably pushed things a little more into their favor.

For those who don't know, this tournament is hosted by the Peoria World Affairs Council and all questions are about international current affairs in one way or another. It's a really neat setup, and it was tough picking between that and Solo. There were several individuals there that I'm sure would have made an impact on Solo had it not been for this tournament and the distances involved. More reason to consider a Central Illinois Solo meet for future years . . .

Regardless, congratulations to all involved in either tournament.
"I got a fever, and the only prescription . . . is more cowbell." - Christpher Walken
Stained Diviner
Auron

Kristina Warren was the one and only Bloomington student at Solo.
David Reinstein
Tegan
Coach of AHAN Jr.

Post by Tegan »

Illinois folks,

I am trying to get comprehensive results for all tournaments in the state, including All-Tournament teams (where they exist). This is for the IHSSBCA Banquet at year's end. So far:

1. Early Bird (I have the top 4 teams, but cannot get the last names of the All-Tournament team...attempts to go to the linked website have been unsuccessful)

2. Loyola Ultima, done

3. Carmel Fr-Soph (I have the top 4, but I need to know if there was an All-Touranment team)

4. Lincoln-Way East (I need to know the top 8, and the All-Tournament Team)

5. Kaneland (I have the top 8 teams, but need the All-Tournament team)

6. Peoria World Affairs, done

7. Schobo Solo, done

8. Northwestern NAQT (need final 4 and the All-Tournament, if any)

If I am missing a tournament (including conferences, All-Cnoference, etc.), please let me know.

Tom Egan
Stained Diviner
Auron

Carmel had an All-Tournament Team--you probably need to contact Coach Mellon to get it. It was announced, but I have not seen it in writing.

Individual stats were kept at Northwestern, but to the best of my knowledge they have not been made public. The top four teams are at ihssbca.org.
David Reinstein
Captain Sinico
Auron

Post by Captain Sinico »

Earlybird doesn't have an "all-tournament team" as such. The individual stats are available at here, as advertised. We didn't collect last names, so you'll have to find them yourself if you need them.

MaS
Tegan
Coach of AHAN Jr.

Post by Tegan »

ImmaculateDeception wrote:Earlybird doesn't have an "all-tournament team" as such.
Thanks for confirming that (I thought that was the case, but someone posted the top 5 scorers, and I started thinking I missed something). The problem was with my computer, because I did make it through on a different school this morning. I just want to try and make sure I don't snub any conferences or tournaments out there.
Trevkeeper
Tidus

Post by Trevkeeper »

The last names for UIUC:

1. Brad Fischer
2. Tyler Kerr
3. Elizabeth Rogers (KY)
4. Justin Stoncius
5. (tied) Matt McKenna
5. (tied) Buddy Dolan

The only ones I'm not 100% positive on are Justin and Buddy.
mrs. dalloway
Lulu

Post by mrs. dalloway »

At Northwestern there was no all-tournament team, although they did announce Tyler Kerr as the top scorer.

I'm pretty sure those names from the Earlybird are right.
David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

1. Brad Fischer,Winnebago
2. Tyler Kerr, Rockford Auburn
3. Elizabeth Rogers, Owensboro Apollo (KY)
4. Justin Stoncius , Carbondale
5. (tied) Matt McKenna , Wilmette Loyola
5. (tied) Buddy Dolan, Wilmette, Loyola

I've included the schools.
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

I'm sure if you emailed Mr. Dentino at Kaneland you could get the top 11 scorers...I only remember the top 3 (myself, Gauthier, and Kerr, 1-2-3) and that there were two Maine South players, a Byron player, and a Kaneland player somewhere in the other 8 spots.
Tegan
Coach of AHAN Jr.

Post by Tegan »

Thanks for the help folks. I'm just trying to get an "official" tally. I know many tournaments don't have "All-Touranment" teams, and that's fine, but I thought I would include them in the program along with the tournament results. In the future, rather than taking up space, you can e-mail them to me at <<[email protected]>>
popculture
Lulu

Post by popculture »

Northwestern Results:
1 Rockford Auburn
2 Maine East
3 Loyola Academy
4 East Lansing A

In Northwestern's email, indy stats were divided into morning and afternoon:

Top scorers (morning)
1 Tyler (Rockford Auburn)
2T Matt (Loyola Academy)
2T Erin (Maine East)
4 Kurtis (East Lansing A)
5 Thomas (New Trier A)

Afternoon
2 Joshua (Zion Benton)
3 Matt (Loyola Academy)
4 Kurtis (East Lansing A)
5 Quinn (New Trier B)

Total (Morning pts. + Afternoon pts.)
2 Matt (Loyola Academy)
3 Kurtis (East Lansing A)
4 Erin (Maine East)
5 Joshua (Zion Benton)
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

Now, I'm saying this VERY pre-emptively here. I could say nothing's been finalized, but that wouldn't be completely true...I haven't even brought this up with Ms. Niemeier.

How many teams represented on the boards would be interested in attending an NAQT tournament on A-Level packets held at Winnebago on January 28th? It's the only date left to do a statewide tourney (or at least Northern Illinois and Chicago). I'm not going to offer this idea to Ms. Niemeier unless at least 4 schools from the boards can agree to the idea...if I can't get a positive response from the teams here, the chances of getting teams like Stillman Valley (or worse) would be nil, and Ms. Niemeier would have a lot of reason to have an aversion to this (it's the Saturday after our normal tournament, it's questions longer than she likes, it's a format she's not used to, etc. etc. etc.)

So yeah, coaches input would be most appreciated, but this is open to anyone who reads it. I'm offering this tournament out of frustration with IHSA questions, though if anyone had a doubt about my intentions they haven't read my posts enough :)
Trevkeeper
Tidus

Post by Trevkeeper »

A-level packets? Are you going after Frosh/Soph teams (not meant to be a dig, just curious)? Or are you trying for teams that haven't done NAQT as much?

If you're trying for Frosh/Soph, I'd doubt you get many takers...January 28th is the day of Wheaton North Frosh/Soph, and they get about 50 teams.

On another note, who is going to come out of the Wheaton North Kickoff alive? That thing is loaded.