Illinois 05-06

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
GreyGhost06
Lulu

Post by GreyGhost06 »

I could be wrong, but I don't think that Normal West or Bloomington participated in the Peoria Area League last year either. But the league should be a battle between Morton, IVC and Peoria Heights. Who won the league last year? I was gone during the tournament so I don't remember.
Tegan
Coach of AHAN Jr.

Post by Tegan »

Sectionals are UP!

Two Class A sectionals need hosts. One os the far southern sectional. The other is the north-northeast sectional. 20 of the 32 regionals still have no hosts.

Class AA Sectionals are set. 24 of the 32 regionals still have no hosts.

The Palace in Vegas is also open for your betting needs. The best value is boxing your top four to make the semis.
Trevkeeper
Tidus

Post by Trevkeeper »

Why oh why? Our sectional was hard enough without Fenwick in it.

Also, where is Maine East? One would assume they'd be in the Maine South sectional, but they aren't there, nor anywhere else.

So, what's the "bloodbath" sectional this year?
Nick, IU and Aegis Questions
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

Post by Irreligion in Bangladesh »

Class AA will never be hard to predict. It's Bradley-Bourbannais, Fremd, Auburn, Wheaton North, Carbondale, Bloomington, whoever has the best day in the bloodbath sectional (Loyola, Fenwick, Deerfield, and New Trier, in that order, are my four favorites to escape), and an unknown in the last Chicago sectional (no offense, but how did the Marist sectional escape without anyone in the top 10 of Chicago area schools? I'm unfamiliar with the geography, someone help me out here).

Class A is harder: I'll post those predictions some night before midnight :)

How does the sub-sectional idea work out? The rules book isn't clear at all about it.
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

I'm not sure, but it's nuts. Teams from the Big 12 Conference are in THREE sectionals. Where is St. Ignatius? I agree with the picks by Brad for AA. Justin will dominate from I-74 on south, The monster that is Bloomington will take from I-74 to I-80. Above there, Fenwick will win again, as will Wheaton, Auburn and Bradley. What a surprise.
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

Class A State Finalists: Winnebago, Pittsfield, Decatur (St. Teresa), Port Byron (Riverdale), Fairfield, Latin, Peoria Heights, Carterville.

Due to the nature of Class A quizbowl, I can't say with any certainty that I have any idea how good Pittsfield, Carterville, Fairfield, or Riverdale are. St. Teresa is in there on past experience. Peoria Heights is in there because I know Dylan Troxel, and no one else in that sectional (Chillicothe IVC might do it, and Eureka could do it also) has performed well at tournaments yet.

But is this better than Class AA, where they shouldn't even play half the sectionals?
Tegan
Coach of AHAN Jr.

Post by Tegan »

styxman wrote:Class AA will never be hard to predict. It's Bradley-Bourbannais, Fremd, Auburn, Wheaton North, Carbondale, Bloomington, whoever has the best day in the bloodbath sectional (Loyola, Fenwick, Deerfield, and New Trier, in that order, are my four favorites to escape), and an unknown in the last Chicago sectional (no offense, but how did the Marist sectional escape without anyone in the top 10 of Chicago area schools? I'm unfamiliar with the geography, someone help me out here).

How does the sub-sectional idea work out? The rules book isn't clear at all about it.
1. Class AA sectionals are hard to predict. Anyone who didn't pck Fremd and Mac last year either was clueless or on something (though interestingly, they both lost to teams who were hosting the sectional, and at least in one case under very odd circumstances). AA's are, IMO, easier to pick because more of the teams are involved and hence "easier" to measure.

As for the Marist sectional.....that was usually Fenwick's home, but those West Suburban League teams have a good track record (historically) in the state series. Marist is usually a great team, but has been inconsistent this year (they usually lose to Fenwick at Sectionals).

2. The Sub-Sectional is being used strictly for seeding (the idea being it will reduce travel for the seeding meeting and for Regionals...both of which are on school nights.
The coaches assemble at the Sub-Sectional site, and seed all of the teams in the Sub-Sectional (not just the top 8 as in the past). The seeds are separated, into two regionals (hopefully in an appropriate manner). The four regional winners (two from each Sub-Sectional) then meet at the Sectional to settle the championship in the usual manner.

3. As is usually the case, our Sub-Sectional is incredibly lopsided. Fenwick will walk....and I do mean walk over every team on its Sub-Sectional...and as the Styxman said, our side is a bloodbath (and as soon as Maine East gets certified and added, it will be even worse!) For the record, Maine East has already beaten Loyola, New Trier, and Deerfield, and they have to be the choice to win that Sectional at this point in time.....though the Jesuits do have scary powers...never count out the Ramblers!
Trevkeeper
Tidus

Post by Trevkeeper »

I swear, our sub-sectional alone might be tougher than any other whole sectional.
Tegan
Coach of AHAN Jr.

Post by Tegan »

Trevkeeper wrote:I swear, our sub-sectional alone might be tougher than any other whole sectional.
I wasn't sure I agreed with this until I checked again....I think you're right.

BTW...Maine East was not only officially added, but will be one of the Regional sites.
TeachMe
Lulu

Post by TeachMe »

I have to agree that the Maine South subsectional is one of the hardest. Unfortunately, several of the best teams in the state may not make it out of a regional. Highland Park will also be in the running, especially since they just barely lost to New Trier this year in CSL Conference play. How is Von Steuben?
STPickrell
Auron

Post by STPickrell »

Tegan wrote:Sectionals are UP!

Two Class A sectionals need hosts. One os the far southern sectional. The other is the north-northeast sectional. 20 of the 32 regionals still have no hosts.

Class AA Sectionals are set. 24 of the 32 regionals still have no hosts.

The Palace in Vegas is also open for your betting needs. The best value is boxing your top four to make the semis.
Is there some reason why you guys don't just have fixed sections and regions?

Then every two or three years you can have a dogfight in pushing schools up and down between A and AA, and in moving schools between sections and moving sections between regions. There could even be an occasional lawsuit thrown in for good measure, too.

FWIW, I've been called the day the regular season starts by the odd district. Apparently, they forgot they were supposed to have questions for their competition. I've grown more used to being called the week of the tournament, though. On the other extreme, I've had a few of the districts call me during the summer to arrange things.

You have one guess as to which districts have done better at the Region and State levels.
Shawn Pickrell, HSAPQ CFO
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

Results from Sterling:

1. Wheaton North A
2. Winnebago
3. Auburn
4. Loyola
Consolation: Maine South A

Before anyone who wasn't there reads too much into it, the main reason Bago beat Auburn was because Tyler wasn't there. The ten tossups I got in that round, including the last two, (final score was 245-215, Bago was down 10 or so going into TU 19, and up 15 going into TU 20) would probably not have gone our way had he been there, and they would have gotten many more bonus points than they did (I'm not saying they slacked, however...about 6 tossups in, they had 3 tossups to our two, and to that point, all PLEASE MAKE FUN OF ME BECAUSE I SPEAK NEITHER LATIN NOR ENGLISH were swept by the first team).

A well run tournament, no real delays, good pool structure, and while the questions weren't perfect, they were some of the better questions I've played in a while, not counting New Trier. I can probably post All-Tournament Team in a little bit, as I have to email Sterling's coach about it anyway.
Tegan
Coach of AHAN Jr.

Post by Tegan »

StPickrell wrote: Is there some reason why you guys don't just have fixed sections and regions?
Then every two or three years you can have a dogfight in pushing schools up and down between A and AA, and in moving schools between sections and moving sections between regions. There could even be an occasional lawsuit thrown in for good measure, too.

The sectionals have been, for the most part, relatively fixed. Because of the geography of the state, and because of the distribution of smaller schools (only one or 8 sectionals covers all of northeast Illinois), and big schools (only one of 8 sectionals covers south of Springfield), it is diffidult to get "creative" with how to draw a sectional and avoid 5 hour one way trips. The state has made it clear that it does not consider how good a team is: just geography (though rumors are afoot that this may be changing soon.....). Every few years, the sectional boundary does get modified a little; usually as teams get added and drop out. This year, has seen a big change in A/AA schools:

Lawsuits are not usually involved in this, but this year a new "formula" has been applied to private schools in an effort to get the smaller private schools to move up to Class AA. Thus, Class A now has fewer schools, and Class AA has more schools. This created a "bigger than usual" shift in the boundaries. A group of private schools did file suit over this, and met with limited success. The policy was temporarily removed and reviewed, but it was ultimately put into place. There is still some jockeying which will continue for some time to modify this, but the private schools are in the minority, and as you might guess, the public schools have little problem watching them get put under some restrictions. The bigger private schools (Loyola, Marist, etc) are virtually unaffected since they were already playing in Class AA to begin with.
FWIW, I've been called the day the regular season starts by the odd district. Apparently, they forgot they were supposed to have questions for their competition.
Our biggest problem is the IHSA itself. Our seeding meetings are on February 8, but we only learned on Wednesday last week who "officially" is in that sectional. As I mentioned, it changes little, but for teams that are moved it can be annoying. For example, Fenwick could have had a walk in their usual sectional, but now they have to fight it out with Loyola, Maine East, New Trier, etc. The last several years, we have not received the questions until 2-3 days before the regional (one year, some regionals didn't receive their questions until the day after the tournament, and had to take the day off of school to run over to the next regional and get copies of the questions).

The IHSA changes rules on us frequently, but refuses to sponsor meetings to clarify rules. For example, this year, all teams must enter their rosters online by February 1, or face disqualification. There is no actual reason for this, because you still need to show up at the Regional with a separate paper list of your roster. But since this has only been publicized by our Coaches Association, there will be at least 50, and possibly as many as over 100 schools which will be disqualified on February 1. The IHSA will contend that this, and claim that scholastic bowl is a head ache to run because there is such poor understanding by coaches of their policies. We've offered to help, but in recent years this has been rebuffed by the IHSA. Its very frustrating, but I remain confident that things will get better.
mrs. dalloway
Lulu

Post by mrs. dalloway »

The questions at Sterling (Question Bank) were decent as far as how they were written, but I hate to see close games be decided on elementary school material. Maybe I'm just biased because our team tends to be relatively slow on the buzzer, so we prefer questions that test KNOWLEDGE more than the speed with which a player can push a button. But we do always enjoy Sterling's tournament. And I liked the 18-question rounds in the morning to shorten it up just a bit.
"That's the problem with real life. People don't just break into musical song and dance."
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

I played Sterling's varsity tournament twice and thought that the questions were a bit on the easy side, which is probably why my team grailed there last year. There was a mix of pyramidal and buzzer races, and I hated that the math was no harder than trig. I do agree with Colleen that the questions need to test knowledge more (we lost to WN on the last question last year on sugar plums from twas the night before christmas). From personal experience, if it's a buzzer-race type match, you are not going to beat WN, which is why they've won at Sterling three (maybe more, I don't have that knowledge off hand) years running.
LadyInBlack
Lulu

Post by LadyInBlack »

Tegan wrote:
Trevkeeper wrote:I swear, our sub-sectional alone might be tougher than any other whole sectional.
I wasn't sure I agreed with this until I checked again....I think you're right.

BTW...Maine East was not only officially added, but will be one of the Regional sites.
Browsing the list on the bus, this is most definitely true. Although alot of state series/playoffs for anything are skewed in Illinois because schools that are (not trying to insult, just generalizing on experience) successes at most events are from up north. The no name school can waltz in on ... well the fact that they are from down south. Don't get me wrong, some of the Southern schools in IHSA events can school people. but geography of nothing helps.

The great faceoffs of the sectional will be probably great scholastic bowl games to watch .... just way too many of them for one sectional. MS, ME, LA, NT, Deerfield and Fenwick. Epic awaits, alas.
Operative: "It's worse than you know"
Mal: "It usually is"
Tegan
Coach of AHAN Jr.

Post by Tegan »

mrs. dalloway wrote:The questions at Sterling (Question Bank) were decent as far as how they were written, but I hate to see close games be decided on elementary school material.
The Question Bank questions ranged from the inbelievably simple to rather obscure (fewer of the there, more of the former). I took it as a sign that my team is improving that whenever one of those bonuses got awarded to us, we got very few parts.

Overall, I was proud that my team had a lead on Wheaton North at question 18 of the quarterfinals, and only lost by 25 (the closest match WN had the whole afternoon), and that after going down to Moline by 75 on question nine, we came back in the second half for a 250-165 win.
Matt Bardoe
Lulu

Class A tough Sectionals

Post by Matt Bardoe »

While not as epic as the Class AA sectionals, the Class A sectional with Latin is also perennially competitive. I believe that it hurts the competition to have uneven sectionals. Last year, the competition that Latin faced at the sectionals was much stronger than what we faced at state. And strong Class A teams like Lisle, Timothy Christian, Coal City, Roycemore, etc. have never made to the state finals. If those teams were able to say that they had been to state finals, then maybe that would encourage growth in their teams. Success breeds success.

I have no solution. Just like to whine.

Matt
Tegan
Coach of AHAN Jr.

Re: Class A tough Sectionals

Post by Tegan »

Matt Bardoe wrote:And strong Class A teams like Lisle, Timothy Christian, Coal City, Roycemore, etc. have never made to the state finals. If those teams were able to say that they had been to state finals, then maybe that would encourage growth in their teams. Success breeds success.
I have no solution. Just like to whine.
It's hardly whining! I saw Latin and Timothy Christian last year, and I remember thinking "it its ever going to happen, 2005 is the year". It didn't, the sun rose, it set, and Latin won again.

You are right about success breeding success. The IHSA has gone through adding the multiplier to private schools to force them to play bigger schools. In the end, this really only affects a few schools in a few sports.....so while Providence football has to play in Class 5A now, the poor folks at Chicago Christian have to play Class AA scholastic bowl. You're right that it's not fair! With all due respect to teams out there, I have moderated for teams in the state final four that would not have touched my frosh-soph team....and we're hardly the best around.

Fortunately for Latin, it is small enough for the moment to remain Class A, but it might very well in the future find itself in that bloodbath sectional that was being mentioned.....

I did see a few "proposals" being bandied around. One would permit activities to have limited say in separating good teams. Another would force smaller class teams which have shown great success in a particular sport or activity over a certain period of time to move up a class.

I will end by saying this: If Latin has not seen Winnebago this year: be warned....they are totally for real. Anyone (A or AA) not bringing the "A-1" game against Winnebago is going to see a clinic put on.
Trevkeeper
Tidus

Post by Trevkeeper »

Maybe it doesn't affect me as much, since last year we hosted our regional and the drive to the Sectional wasn't too bad, but so far it seems as if the sub-sectional has made things worse. I mean, technically we'd have to play the top teams in the sectional at some point to make it state, of course, but with sub-sectionals, we'll be doing that at regionals, instead of sectionals. What I mean is, if it were just plain sectionals like it has been previously, we'd have a chance at being the highest seeded team at our sectional, whereas now we'd be second, maybe even third.

Perhaps the sectional lines need to be completely redrawn....

Although, I see the reasons for doing it in respects to travel for some schools, but still. Ah well, there's no way to please everybody.
Matt Bardoe
Lulu

Post by Matt Bardoe »

[quote]I will end by saying this: If Latin has not seen Winnebago this year: be warned....they are totally for real. Anyone (A or AA) not bringing the "A-1" game against Winnebago is going to see a clinic put on.[/quote]

We have not played Winnebago, but I have seen their best player at Solo, and he is definitely great. Our team is not taking anything for granted. In fact, I think our team is a little off this year. I see Winnebago as the favorite in Class A.

Matt
GreyGhost06
Lulu

Post by GreyGhost06 »

Stop trying to play the underdog Matt. Everyone knows that Latin is the favorite in class A until someone knocks them off. That reputation comes with having won several class A titles the last few years. Latin is the favorite, but not by much.
Admiral
Lulu

Post by Admiral »

Does anyone know when they are going to finalize Regional hosts? I thought we all did this at the meeting?
"The first rule of quiz bowl is that you do not talk about quiz bowl.....Second Rule...last names only!"
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

From the IHSA website:

[quote]IHSA Responds to House Bill 4596

The Illinois High School Association announced today its opposition to HB4596 authored by State Representative Kurt Granberg of Centralia. Granberg’s legislation would prohibit the IHSA from keeping more than 15% of the gross receipts from the tournaments it sponsors and operates. Tournament revenue is the IHSA’s main source of income.

“We are proud of the fact that our Association provides the most comprehensive programs of any state association in the country and we do it without charging our member schools dues or entry fees,â€
Tegan
Coach of AHAN Jr.

Post by Tegan »

styxman wrote:From the IHSA website:
IHSA Responds to House Bill 4596
The Illinois High School Association announced today its opposition to HB4596 authored by State Representative Kurt Granberg of Centralia.
<sic>
(Full text of the article here)

Does anyone see this as a problem for the whole "Let's get the IHSA's act together?" faction? Or does this hurt the chances of getting a better state-wide system in place?
I am no IHSA apologist, and even more so this year where a lot about the state series is really getting a littel screwy.....

BUT....IMO
1. This Bill is flat out stupid. The IHSA used to charge annual fees to schools, which they no longer do, plus it used to be something like $50 per sport/activity to join....They deep-sixed that too. Why? There were a lot of schools (dare I mention the gepgraphic location of many of them) who were having a hard time making the $$ to sponsor teams, so the IHSA, years ago, started an investment program that started to pay off a bit (not to mention improved sponsorship and more competitive bidding for host sites), and that allowed them to dump the fees to schools. The only major source of revenue (aside from their investments and sponsorships, which they haven't got a lot of) is the 30% they take at the gate at certain finals. This bill would halve that. It is true that they make back only a small fraction of the cost on scholastic bowl. I'm not sure why this guy is trying to curtail the IHSA cut. To my knowledge, there are only a few state finals that are sponsored down there, so its not like this drastically improves his district's finances, not to mention that the IHSA will likely never go down that way again for a state finals.

2. While to us scholastic bowl folks things are not always running smoothly, the rest of the state, on the whole, seems to like where things are going.....the private schools have been checked, they are going to expand the classes in a number of sportsto make it easeir for more schools to win, and there is no talk of forcing schools to pay more. For the sports folks, there is likely very much more they could want (other than looking at how sectionals are drawn, and even that hs moved into formal discussions)

3. The IHSA has made it clear in the past that they do not allow people to tell them their business. If this bill goes through, there will be pain felt by a number of activities and sports in one way or another. Theoretically, they could instate a fee again, and that wouldn't be too bad. They could also take measures to reduce costs
---go to a cheap question source (talk to your coach about the "old question writer"...this is not an attractive option!)
---go back to a single class system with no regionals
---drop the activity altogether (which is implied as an option in their press release)

while I admit that option three appears tantalizing at times, a vast majority of schools would likely drop their programs. While at times I wish a couple of the leaches (programs who complain, but do nothing to improve) would fall off, there would not be much of a state series if Illinois scholastic bowl were reduced to a grand total of 30-40 teams.....

Sadly, down in this guy's neck of the woods where there are very few (not none, just comparitvely few teams), I bet a lot of people wouldn't mind seeng this activity dropped because it eats u valuable football/basketball resources.

[eited for spelling]
Last edited by Tegan on Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

Upon reading the article, I have a feeling that this Granberg guy's main concern here is the almighty dollar. If no one has had problems with the current system, why would he want to change it? I say we storm the State Capitol and demand that they reject this bill.
David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

(Drum roll please) Here are the 26 students who have been nominated for Team Illinois at the Panasonic Academic Challenge. The tryouts will be held at Bloomington High School on Sunday, February 5, 2006 [yes, it's Super Bowl Sunday, but where were all of you armchair quarterbacks when the calendar was released early in the fall? Hmm?].

At any rate, speculate all you want, but keep in mind what Mr. Egan et alia have said already. We pick whom we consider to be the best available team for this particular contest. Many excellent students will not be chosen.

TEAM ILLINOIS NOMINEES 2006

Carlo Angiuli, New Trier
Alex Beata, Frend
Greg Baboukis, Normal West
John Bracke, Moline
John Brown, Rockford Auburn
Hunter Fast, Bloomington
Jamie Fearon, Wheaton North
Brad Fischer, Winnebago
Greg Gauthier, Wheaton North
Matthew Gerken, Sterling
Shawna Gunoratne, Lisle
Tyler Kerr, Rockford Auburn
Katie Kragh, Loyola Academy
Matt McKenna, Loyola Academy
Shabab Mustafa, O'Fallon
Luke Pacold, St. Ignatius
Greg Peterson, Maine South
Steve Rykbosch, St. Ignatius
Ian Slack, Wheaton North
Justin Stoncius, Carbondale
Stacey Svetlichnaya, Maine South
Siva Sundaram, Rockford Auburn
Dylan Troxel, Peoria Heights
Kristina Warren, Bloomington
Jeff Ware, Maine South
Andy Wilson, Fremd

P.S. The deadline for nominations has passed (Jan 15). A lot of planning goes into this event, so last minute nominations will not be considered.
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

Egan, would that old question writer be Pierce who used to do Masonic AND IHSA? I remember reading through old sets, and while the questions blew, there is one thing I agreed with: having the same writer or writers do both state series. I hated going from Social Studies bowl (last year's masonic) to a somewhat balanced distribution (ihsa).
Siverus Snape
Rikku

Post by Siverus Snape »

Speaking of Superbowl Sunday, what time will the tryouts be over?
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

Results from Winnebago Varsity:

1. Auburn A
2. Winnebago
3. Streator
4. Byron
5. Boylan
6. Sterling Newman
7. Sterling
8. Auburn B

All Tournament Team was me (from Bago), Tyler, Colleen, and Siva from Auburn A, Michael from Auburn B, Sarah from Boylan, Patrick from Byron, Streator's captain, a player from Sterling Newman, a player from Sterling, a player from Marengo, and one more player I cannot remember. I'll edit this with the full list, in order, when I have it.

Nothing really out of order, nothing spectacular. Everything was rather typical, in fact. I'm sure the Fremd tourney's got more interesting info. :lol:
Tegan
Coach of AHAN Jr.

Post by Tegan »

DaGeneral wrote:Egan, would that old question writer be Pierce who used to do Masonic AND IHSA? I remember reading through old sets, and while the questions blew
For purposes of potential litigation, I cannot confirm this.
Tegan
Coach of AHAN Jr.

Post by Tegan »

Results of the Maine South Octagon (8 teams, one cage, no rules...gong!)

Varsity:
1. Lake Forest (HS)
2. Maine South A
3. Eisenhower (Blue Island)

All Tournament: Greg P (MS), Christian C (LF), Colin B (St. Bede), Christine O (Von Steuben), Caitlyn D (Ike), Ryan J (Ike), Dennis D (Fenton), Jeff W (MS), Mark K (LF), Zack F (LF), Brennan R (MS), Brian E (MS)

Maine South A loses a 155-156 to Lake Forest to finish second for the third year in a row.

Frosh-Soph
1. Maine South A
2. Maine South B
3. Eisenhower (Blue Island)

All Tournament: Jimmy G (MS), Seth K (St. Bede), Owen D (MS), Anna S (Fenton), Chris R (Leyden), Analise A (Ike), Nick K (MS), Alex R (Ike), Summy K (MS)

Please do not discuss questions from the Octagon as they are still being used across the state.
David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

SIVster716:

Tryouts will be over (for all but the Selection Committee) by 3:00ish.
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

When is Team Illinois announced? Do you send us home after the tryouts, or do we stay at Bloomington for an announcement?
LadyInBlack
Lulu

Post by LadyInBlack »

Someone else will have a more complete list but, From Fremd Varsity
1. Wheaton North A
2. Fremd A
3. Loyola
4. St. Ignatius
Although not a slight to anyone, the Current events questions proved to be the hardest questions in my observation/experience as of last year's questions (snowed out tournament) were used; therefore, "current" became 2004.

Brad: Mr. Riley said he'll call after Team Illinois is decided. Everyone gets to go home.
Operative: "It's worse than you know"
Mal: "It usually is"
David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

Brad: What the Lady in Black said. I thought I had mentioned that in the attachments that I sent; let me know if you didn't get them.
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

I've got the attachments, but I can't see where it says that. Then again, I did just wake up :)
Summoned Skull
Lulu

Post by Summoned Skull »

Bloomington Turnabout Results:

Class AA:

1. LaSalle-Peru 2. Decatur Eisenhower 3. Mattoon 4. Geneseo

Championship match:

LaSalle-Peru- 215 Decatur Eisenhower- 210

Im not sure who the class A champ was, anybody know?
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

LSA A handily (i don't think any Class A team came within 150 of them)
Trevkeeper
Tidus

Post by Trevkeeper »

LadyInBlack wrote:Someone else will have a more complete list but, From Fremd Varsity
1. Wheaton North A
2. Fremd A
3. Loyola
4. St. Ignatius
Although not a slight to anyone, the Current events questions proved to be the hardest questions in my observation/experience as of last year's questions (snowed out tournament) were used; therefore, "current" became 2004.

Brad: Mr. Riley said he'll call after Team Illinois is decided. Everyone gets to go home.
Yes, we decided it would be fun to act dead the entire day, and we exited with a first round loss to Homewood-Flossmoor.
potato0328
Lulu

Post by potato0328 »

I know exactly what you mean, Trevkeeper. For some reason, it was really hard to get into a good rhythm at Saturday's tournament, and we barely escaped losses to Marian Central Catholic and Bradley-Bourbonnais in the morning round.
I suppose the biggest gripe I had with the questions (except for their age) was the variation between obscure and easy. In certain rounds, two good teams would be lucky to score 200 points between them, while in other rounds (like the championship), practically every point was scored. In that championship round, we came out sluggish, and Wheaton North killed us with their speed (we were down by 100-ish at half time). Although we made a small run in the second half, we were never really in the game. Props to Wheaton North, they really handed it to us.
Also, I want to apologize to anyone that was upset about the year-old questions. It was entirely a money-saving issue on the part of our team, and I hope it didn't hurt anyone too badly.
directly from Fremd High School...
STPickrell
Auron

Post by STPickrell »

I will please guilty on the issue of Fremd's questions. The tossups were taken from the 2003-04 season VHSL questions (NOT the ones from 2004-05 and 2005-06 that I am selling.) The bonuses I made up whole cloth.

I was the good little subcontractor for Avery Enterprises ...

This (variations between rounds) seems to have been the biggest problem with my VHSL series questions (some rounds easy other rounds hard) and this is why I posted that advertisement in misc-qb. That, and I'm 100% rusty with making bonuses of comparable difficulty. Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.
Shawn Pickrell, HSAPQ CFO
Tegan
Coach of AHAN Jr.

Post by Tegan »

Does anyone know who all will be at Bloodbath III at Fenwick? What is the date? I seem to recall that Wheaton North will be there (or at least was strongly planning to be there). I know Loyola will not be there.
potato0328
Lulu

Post by potato0328 »

Fremd is planning on going to Fenwick. We might be missing 2 starters due to an orchestra conflict, which could be rough on our math and science. However, Beata will probably be there, so we won't be hurt too badly.
directly from Fremd High School...
popculture
Lulu

Post by popculture »

At Fremd, with one of the largest and most competitive fields of any Illinois tournament, both Fremd and New Trier reported difficulty getting in a rhythm (perhaps the most important function of the morning rounds). Yet they were still seeded first and fourth, respectively-- impressive. Wheaton North seemingly struggled as well, losing to Crystal Lake South, and seeded third; also, Loyola lost to Evanston and were seeded seventh (?), before finally clicking and beating #2 seed Fenwick.

I think there is a definite connection between the number of questions in a round and rhythm. Having 16 questions makes it hard to get on a roll, or, at the very least, the lower scores make it seem like you're not clicking.

As always, I have no point.
University of Notre Dame '10
Trevkeeper
Tidus

Post by Trevkeeper »

Tegan wrote:Does anyone know who all will be at Bloodbath III at Fenwick? What is the date? I seem to recall that Wheaton North will be there (or at least was strongly planning to be there). I know Loyola will not be there.
I think it's February 11th.
bdavery
Lulu

Fremd event

Post by bdavery »

Shawn is very kind to take the arrows for the questions, but he was only the sub. I did the final editing/putting in games, etc. , so you can complain to me about the set. Looking at the set again, several current-events questions would have been quite difficult now (as noted, they were intended for use last year, but the event was snowed out, and Fremd had paid for the questions already), but the majority were still gettable (i.e., in a Senate race from 2004, the person who won got a 6-year term and is thus still in office).

I think the old saying holds, "It's not obscure if you know it."
Bryce Avery
President, Avery Enterprises
http://www.averyenterprises.net/blog
Trevkeeper
Tidus

Post by Trevkeeper »

The only nit picky thing I remember about it was there were two tossups on Canterbury Tales. I thought there only should have been one, at most, since it was the same tournament. But again, that's probably really nit picky.
Tegan
Coach of AHAN Jr.

Post by Tegan »

Wheaton North F-S results:
1. Wheaton North
2. Auburn (Rockford)
3. Lake Zurich
4. Stevenson

Morning scores were a little on the low side, but the afternoon had some spirited competition! The tournament ran ahead of schedule, and as smooth as silk.
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

That final must have been hilarious to watch. I'm assuming that with no Varsity tournaments today, Greg Gauthier, John Brown, and Siva Sundaram all played for their F-S teams, making it one heck of a final for a frosh-soph tourney.

On a random note, what is the current field for NAQT State? Following a guest appearance at a NIC-9 conference night (they use NAQT questions), I'm interested in seeing what that tournament would be like if Winnebago went.